Cimini: QB McElroy already impressing with Smarts

flgreen

QB McElroy already impressing with smarts

May, 4, 2011

May 4

12:35

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- It's really hard to get a read on a player in what amounts to an informal passing camp, but it didn't take Mark Sanchez long to get a positive vibe from the newest quarterback in the room, rookie Greg McElroy.

"He's so sharp," Sanchez said during a break at his "Jets West" camp. "He's got a ton of experience in college. He played in a lot of games -- a national championship (2009). That's great to add to our quarterback room. He's picking things up quickly in the classroom. It'll be good competition for all of us."

McElroy, who posted a 24-3 starting record at Alabama, was drafted in the seventh round last weekend. Three of the Jets' four offensive draft picks are here for the camp -- McElroy, WR Jeremy Kerley (fifth round, TCU) and WR Scotty McKnight (seventh round, Colorado). McKnight is local, a close friend of Sanchez. The only one who isn't here is RB Bilal Powell (fourth round, Louisville).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: McElroy doesn't have a rifle arm -- his long balls tend to float -- but he's able to hit receivers in stride on deep corner routes. Much like ex-Jets QB Chad Pennington, it looks like he'll be a touch and timing passer ... McKnight's long speed doesn't make you say, "Wow," but he's quick in and out of his cuts, which will serve him well in the slot. Good hands ... Kerley is a fluid receiver. There's a polish to his game, and you can see it right away. He also tracks the ball well on deep routes.

ONE MAN'S OPINION: I touched base with a highly-respected personnel guy from another team, and he offered a few thoughts on some of the Jets' draft picks.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (first round): "We had him rated as a high 2. He's a good player and a good kid. The Jets will like him. He fits their scheme really well."

NT Kenrick Ellis (third round): "There are so many things you have to deal with. He had the off-the-field incidents at South Carolina (positive drug tests) and now he's got the pending assault. Obviously, that isn't good. We interviewed him. He's not a bad kid, just very, very misguided. He's a good player. If you want to like him, there's enough to like, but you have to worry about the other stuff."

Powell: "He's very average. He's a big, power guy. He's a good tackle-box runner. I was so-so on the kid. If you have a need, you take him. If you don't, he's not a guy that makes you say, 'Wow.'"

Kerley: "He's a good kid. He's a good, inside receiver. I think he's going to be a good pro. I like that pick. He could help them, especially with all the uncertainty at receiver."

McKnight: "I'm surprised they drafted him. They could've gotten him as a free agent. Everybody knows he's close with Sanchez, so we all figured, 'He's going to the Jets.'"

BOOK HIM: Because of the lockout, only one Jets rookie received a playbook -- Wilkerson. Rex Ryan, speaking Tuesday at a book signing, said he gave Wilkerson a playbook to take home when he visited the Jets' facility last Friday, according to The Star-Ledger of Newark. Ryan said he wasn't able to talk to the other draft picks, but the three attending "Jets West" are learning from material prepared by Sanchez.

Three years from now, Mark Sanchez visits with Mike Tannenbaum...

file this under "astute command of the obvious" but John Cazale was an amazing actor

During his six-year film career he appeared in five films, each of which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cazale

file this under "astute command of the obvious" but John Cazale was an amazing actor

During his six-year film career he appeared in five films, each of which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter.

So when's the launch of FilmDaddy.com?

Just watched Dog Day Afternoon again the other day. Brilliant acting from Pacino, Cazale and Durning. I loved reading those stories about Cazale mentoring Meryl Streep on craft.

NT Kenrick Ellis (third round): "There are so many things you have to deal with. He had the off-the-field incidents at South Carolina (positive drug tests) and now he's got the pending assault. Obviously, that isn't good. We interviewed him. He's not a bad kid, just very, very misguided. He's a good player. If you want to like him, there's enough to like, but you have to worry about the other stuff."

I wonder if the highly respected personnel man was from the jints. This sounds like jints-talk right here.

I'm glad the Joe Walton/Eric Mangini theory of only drafting eagle scouts is out the window here now. I hope Ellis breaks someone's jaw on the field. That'll be fun.

I wonder if the highly respected personnel man was from the jints. This sounds like jints-talk right here.

I'm glad the Joe Walton/Eric Mangini theory of only drafting eagle scouts is out the window here now. I hope Ellis breaks someone's jaw on the field. That'll be fun.

Cimini is the king of finding an anonymous source that will passive aggressively put a negative spin on what the Jets are doing. He's probably just quoting himself, actually.

Cimini is the king of finding an anonymous source that will passive aggressively put a negative spin on what the Jets are doing. He's probably just quoting himself, actually.

I was thinking that... he just made it up and said it was "a source"

So when's the launch of FilmDaddy.com?

Bit's had that up for years. Here was his first entry:

www.filmdaddy.com/haleyjoelosmentisking

Haley Joel Osment is a can't-miss future superstar who is guaranteed to win multiple Oscars. He has the technique, the style and the work ethic to be a huge star for a long time in Hollywood.

Up next: Natalie Portman is so '93.

QB McElroy already impressing with smarts

May, 4, 2011

May 4

12:35

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

McKnight: "I'm surprised they drafted him. They could've gotten him as a free agent. Everybody knows he's close with Sanchez, so we all figured, 'He's going to the Jets.'"

This is a valid point. Why draft the guy if you know he would definetly sign with you as a free agent. They could have taken a chance on another position, LB, S or OL, in the 7th round. They really must have wanted to play it safe and make sure they got him for Sanchez.

This is a valid point. Why draft the guy if you know he would definetly sign with you as a free agent. They could have taken a chance on another position, LB, S or OL, in the 7th round. They really must have wanted to play it safe and make sure they got him for Sanchez.

Why waste a pick on some 1 in a million 7th rounder when you can lock up the one you want? Also who knows what the UDFA rules will be.

Why waste a pick on some 1 in a million 7th rounder when you can lock up the one you want? Also who knows what the UDFA rules will be.

+1

There were 27 more picks in the 7th round after the Jets selected McKnight. Any one of those teams could've taken him. Instead he's now the Jets' property, and he's playing catch with his best friend out in California while the lockout rages on. Seems like a good move to me.

Because judging by the quote from the personnel guy it apperas that he was going undrafted. So why not have McKnight and another player?

Because judging by the quote from the personnel guy it apperas that he was going undrafted. So why not have McKnight and another player?

You mean Cimini making something up and calling it a "source"?

Even if he did go undrafted... when can you sign him? Can the JETS sign him?

They got their guy, who would have have preferred?

Well, Marques Colston was right in the Jets' backyard at Hofstra, and they decided not to waste a pick on him brcause they could have him as a free agent, and he ended up at New Orleans on the seventh round.

Archived