Bilal Powell Will Wear #29

flgreen

RB Bilal Powell Will Wear the #29

By Bassett on May 23, 2011, 10:00 am

bilal-powell

Newest Jet Running Back Bilal Powell, drafted with the 126th pick of the fourth round, will be wearing the #29 jersey for the Jets this season (lockout willing). Powell was in LA over the weekend for the Rookie Premiere and while it sounds like at times everyone donned a 00, it looks like Bilal knows what he’ll be wearing as a Jet, and was able to get photographed in his official number.

Of course, the most recent player to wear the #29 was Leon Washington, but as he’s no longer on the team, for as much as many fans respected him, can we get too riled up about this? There’s only a finite number of numbers players can wear.

Others who’ve worn #29:

Bill Shockley – HB/K 1960-62

Bake Turner – WR 1963-69

Carl Capria – S 1975

Johhny Lynn – DB 1979-86

AB Brown — RB 1989-92

Adrian Murrell – RB 1993-97

Donnie Abraham – CB 2002-05

Leon Washington – RB/KR 2006-2009

since we are talking about numbers. the Jets have several numbers that are "unofficially retired" like Dennis Byrd's 90 and Curtis' 28. maybe Mo Lewis' 57 too altho i could be wrong on that one

Bart Scott wears 57.................Dont forget Wayne Chrebets 80.

and of couse Leon's wife had to comment about that on Twitter-something like "I hope he can live up to it"

Only a true legend could live up to Leon Washington's greatness. Powell has his work cut out for him if he thinks he can be a replaceable kick returner/3rd down back.

I liked Adrian Murrell. But, to get on topic, when and how did Bilal find out his number and get a picture in his jersey. You think this would have been discussed by now...

Jets Twit

a Blog by Erik Manassy

Bilal Powell Clarifies the #29 Jersey Selection

by Erik Manassy on May 24, 2011 · View Comments

New York Jets rookie running back Bilal Powell tweeted a picture over the weekend of a photo shoot he was doing in California. We covered it here in this post, and it caused a little of a stir because of the number he selected: #29. Yes the last guy to wear that number was fan favorite Leon Washington who left on terms in a trade and some fans didn’t want to see him go.

Bilal probably saw a TON of reaction on twitter some good, some bad about that Jersey selection but apparently the running back clarified today that he didn’t make up his mind or even select his number yet:

BilalPowell

for everyone out there wondering if I’ll be wearing #29 idk the jersey was just in Cali for the photo shoot

5/23/11 10:57 PM

His explanation makes sense, because in another tweet, he had a picture of a card from another photo shoot and in that picture he was wearing number 15.

The bottom line, I don’t have a problem with #29. No offense to Leon, but it’s not like the number is #28. Now THAT would be a problem for me and most likely Jets fans!!

Jets Twit

a Blog by Erik Manassy

Bilal Powell Clarifies the #29 Jersey Selection

by Erik Manassy on May 24, 2011 · View Comments

New York Jets rookie running back Bilal Powell tweeted a picture over the weekend of a photo shoot he was doing in California. We covered it here in this post, and it caused a little of a stir because of the number he selected: #29. Yes the last guy to wear that number was fan favorite Leon Washington who left on terms in a trade and some fans didn’t want to see him go.

Bilal probably saw a TON of reaction on twitter some good, some bad about that Jersey selection but apparently the running back clarified today that he didn’t make up his mind or even select his number yet:

BilalPowell

for everyone out there wondering if I’ll be wearing #29 idk the jersey was just in Cali for the photo shoot

5/23/11 10:57 PM

His explanation makes sense, because in another tweet, he had a picture of a card from another photo shoot and in that picture he was wearing number 15.

The bottom line, I don’t have a problem with #29. No offense to Leon, but it’s not like the number is #28. Now THAT would be a problem for me and most likely Jets fans!!

I totally missed this post thanks. Furthermore, I agree, he cannot wear #28.

#80 and #28 should be retired.

#10 should be burnt and never given to any other player!

Haha, agreed on all accounts, although #80 will probably never be "officially" retired, but likely never redistributed either. The Jets have done this with a few numbers for guys who weren't quite the level of player to justify retiring the number, and Chrebet probably falls in that group. Hell, the Jets have officially retired VERY few #s and Klecko is the only one of the bunch who isn't in the HOF, which was as much of a statement by the Jets about how ridiculous it is that he wasn't inducted as anything else. At this point the Jets are waiting around for whenever Martin gets inducted into the HOF to officially retire 28.

I totally missed this post thanks. Furthermore, I agree, he cannot wear #28.

Compiler. :P

I don't really care what number he wears, although I think gg was hoping that #29 would be retired.

Archived