Proposed Free Agency Terms Will Hurt The NY Jets

JetNation

helmet.gif

On Tuesday there were several reports circulating from the NFL owner’s meeting that in the proposed collective bargaining agreement a player will become an unrestricted free agent after four years of credited service. This is a change from last year where the length of service was 5 years, and will make Santonio Holmes, Brad Smith, and Antonio Cromartie all unrestricted free agents. (Note: Braylon Edwards would have been FA regardless with his 6 years of service)

This proposed change to the collective bargaining agreement will put the New York Jets in a tough spot as Holmes, Edwards, and Cromartie will all command big money in the open market. Gang Green’s inability to tender any of these players will take away any leverage in their negotiations and the team will now have to compete with the rest of the league for the player’s services.

Now before you go pressing the panic button, take a deep breath as nothing has been finalized as of yet. Just keep an eye on the following topics as the reports come out from the owner’s meetings:

1) Use of the franchise tag- Will the teams be able to use a franchise tag for the 2011 season? As of now the Jets have franchised linebacker David Harris.

2) Salary Cap Limits- What will the salary cap number be for the 2011 season?  The Jets could potentially have up to 18 free agents, therefore this number will play a huge role in the team’s ability to re-sign players.

3) Free Agency Terms- How many years of  credited service before a player can become a free agent? For the Jets the ideal number would be 5.

4) Tenders or Tags? Will the teams be able to use any type of restricted tenders or transition tags for the 2011 season?

di</img>di</img>

DKIpTiAtH2g

View the full article

The only way the rules were going to stay the same as last year would've been if the courts forced the league to stay open, and the league continued to operate without an agreement. I'm sure the Jets were expecting the UFA number to revert back to four years, and I'm sure they knew their boss would be trying to negotiate a lower cap number.

The franchise tag (David Harris) is expected to stay in place. The transition tag is next to worthless, anyway.

The rules help the Jets, too, in that they will not be subject to the "final four" restrictions that kept them out of the free agent market for the most part last year. So they'll be in position to maybe pick up lower priced free agents before they lose their higher priced guys - softening the blow.

Tannenbaum's always been one of the best guys on the business side of free agency. New rules confusing everyone else probably helps the Jets.

The only way the rules were going to stay the same as last year would've been if the courts forced the league to stay open, and the league continued to operate without an agreement. I'm sure the Jets were expecting the UFA number to revert back to four years, and I'm sure they knew their boss would be trying to negotiate a lower cap number.

The franchise tag (David Harris) is expected to stay in place. The transition tag is next to worthless, anyway.

The rules help the Jets, too, in that they will not be subject to the "final four" restrictions that kept them out of the free agent market for the most part last year. So they'll be in position to maybe pick up lower priced free agents before they lose their higher priced guys - softening the blow.

Tannenbaum's always been one of the best guys on the business side of free agency. New rules confusing everyone else probably helps the Jets.

Agree... as with most things, there is a push and a pull to this.

Jets players will become UFA's, but Jets won't be subject to final four restriction, and plenty of other talented players will also become UFA's from other teams... IMO it "hurts" us because we have so much young talent to lose, but it also doesn't handicap us from replacing that talent.

Your last sentence is key... Tannenbaum's legacy if nothing else will be defined by his ability to know the rules, and their loopholes, better than most if not all... I trust we'll remain a competitive team this year and beyond.

Agree... as with most things, there is a push and a pull to this.

Jets players will become UFA's, but Jets won't be subject to final four restriction, and plenty of other talented players will also become UFA's from other teams... IMO it "hurts" us because we have so much young talent to lose, but it also doesn't handicap us from replacing that talent.

Your last sentence is key... Tannenbaum's legacy if nothing else will be defined by his ability to know the rules, and their loopholes, better than most if not all... I trust we'll remain a competitive team this year and beyond.

Beyond that, while there are a lot of FAs on the Jets, most of them fall under the category of easy to retain and/or replace. A lot of the guys in question are depth guys or simply JAGs. The real key names are Harris (franchised), Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie. Outside of maybe Ellis, there's not a single other guy on that list who can't be replaced by another FA, and we've already drafted a replacement for him. If the Jets can keep at least one of the 2 WRs and either retain Cromartie, have Wilson step up or at least pick up a solid starter who can hold down the #2 job across from Revis, I have no doubt that the Jets will be more than capable of finding players to fill out their roster throughout FA. The only way I see the Jets end up in any real trouble because of this FA period is if they manage to lose both of their WRs, and I can't see them allowing that to happen.

With respect to Holmes, the only thing this changes is that the Jets won't receive draft pick compensated if he signs elsewhere, as he made it quite clear that he had no intention of playing under an RFA tender this upcoming year had the 2010 rules been in place.

Beyond that, while there are a lot of FAs on the Jets, most of them fall under the category of easy to retain and/or replace. A lot of the guys in question are depth guys or simply JAGs. The real key names are Harris (franchised), Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie. Outside of maybe Ellis, there's not a single other guy on that list who can't be replaced by another FA, and we've already drafted a replacement for him. If the Jets can keep at least one of the 2 WRs and either retain Cromartie, have Wilson step up or at least pick up a solid starter who can hold down the #2 job across from Revis, I have no doubt that the Jets will be more than capable of finding players to fill out their roster throughout FA. The only way I see the Jets end up in any real trouble because of this FA period is if they manage to lose both of their WRs, and I can't see them allowing that to happen.

I agree with your general points, but beyond Ellis, BOTH of the RTs from last year and Turner are FAs. I think they are much more important than Ellis or the 2nd of Holmes/Edwards. I have little faith in Ducasse + whoever. Tannenbaum has been insulted as an "accountant" but that's exactly what we will want if there are a ton of FAs and a restrictive cap. I have faith we will be fine, but OL has been the strength of the team and we need to keep that.

I agree with your general points, but beyond Ellis, BOTH of the RTs from last year and Turner are FAs. I think they are much more important than Ellis or the 2nd of Holmes/Edwards. I have little faith in Ducasse + whoever. Tannenbaum has been insulted as an "accountant" but that's exactly what we will want if there are a ton of FAs and a restrictive cap. I have faith we will be fine, but OL has been the strength of the team and we need to keep that.

Certainly a fair point, but while I like Turner and his versatility, he was still only ever a backup for the Jets, and was never even in consideration for the LG job last year, so I wouldn't consider him a priority. Besides, even with going back to the old FA rules isn't he still a RFA? As far as the RT situation, while I thought Hunter played very well, I think he qualifies as one of those players that the Jets could replace with another mid-level type FA signing without much of an issue, which would still only even be needed if Woody doesn't come back and Ducasse can't step up and take the job. That said, if his price is reasonable I could definitely see him being another guy the Jets would make a move to keep on, I just don't think it would happen at the expense of negotiations with any of the other players mentioned.

Certainly a fair point, but while I like Turner and his versatility, he was still only ever a backup for the Jets, and was never even in consideration for the LG job last year, so I wouldn't consider him a priority. Besides, even with going back to the old FA rules isn't he still a RFA? As far as the RT situation, while I thought Hunter played very well, I think he qualifies as one of those players that the Jets could replace with another mid-level type FA signing without much of an issue, which would still only even be needed if Woody doesn't come back and Ducasse can't step up and take the job. That said, if his price is reasonable I could definitely see him being another guy the Jets would make a move to keep on, I just don't think it would happen at the expense of negotiations with any of the other players mentioned.

Yeah, I didn't mean to list Turner as a "must have" so much as 3 of the top 7 O linemen are FAs. I think that is more important than the #2 WR or DE. Everybody wants to fight about Edwards and/or Holmes but as long as they sign one I am not concerned. I thought the whole point of this was that these guys are all going to be UFAs. If Woody comes back OR Hunter then all is well as far as I care. If they don't sign Woody or Hunter I am very nervous.

There would almost have to be a "non-competitive" free agency period so that teams can negotiate with and attempt to sign their own FAs. After that it should be pretty much a free-for-all.

I think Braylon Edwards will hit the open market, as the Jets will sign (or make a good stab at signing) Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, and maybe even Brad Smith during the "non-competitive" FA period, which I expect will last only a few days- a week at most. Than all **** will break loose.

We also can't forget about the draftees that need to be signed, the UDFAs that have to be signed, and FAs from other clubs. It could be a payday bonanza for free agents as the negotiating time will be short. Arguing against the huge payday for FAs is the fact that the supply will be large--especially if the 4 year or more rule for unrestricted status is actually negotiated in the next CBA.

Turner is coming back, that's what I hear.

Turner is coming back, that's what I hear.

Glad to hear it. Definitely is nice to have a guy who can come in and play well as a backup all over the line. Not only that the guy played a bunch of reps as the 6th lineman and was even part of the goalline D. The fact is he likely won't help address any of the questions at the RT spot if history is any indication, but not every guy on your roster is going to be a superstar, you definitely need some guys who just qualify as good depth, and he definitely fits the bill. I feel like he's kind of like what the Jets had for some years with Goodwin until he flew the coup and became big time with the Saints.

Glad to hear it. Definitely is nice to have a guy who can come in and play well as a backup all over the line. Not only that the guy played a bunch of reps as the 6th lineman and was even part of the goalline D. The fact is he likely won't help address any of the questions at the RT spot if history is any indication, but not every guy on your roster is going to be a superstar, you definitely need some guys who just qualify as good depth, and he definitely fits the bill. I feel like he's kind of like what the Jets had for some years with Goodwin until he flew the coup and became big time with the Saints.

Agreed. The Jets really had a lot of depth...not sure if it is on the GM or good coaching but so many guys like Turner and Hunter stepped up big when they were called upon. That is one of the big differences the past few years. Injuries happen, the Jets have been better and not getting derailed as a result.

Definitely hoping that pattern continues.

Agreed. The Jets really had a lot of depth...not sure if it is on the GM or good coaching but so many guys like Turner and Hunter stepped up big when they were called upon. That is one of the big differences the past few years. Injuries happen, the Jets have been better and not getting derailed as a result.

Definitely hoping that pattern continues.

That's actually the funny thing about it, the Jets have been so fortunate with injuries the last few years that a lot of their backups never had to get into games. For that very reason, the Jets often got trashed for a supposed lack of depth, seeing as how nobody had ever really seen any of these guys play. Yet, on the occasions where injuries have happened these guys have hit the ground running. Goes to show you that they really know how to find some talent, it's just that nobody knew it was there.

I think a lot of that credit actually has to go to the scouting department, which has been together for a long time now, which tells you something in itself. I always used to point out that even when Bradway was GM, in his drafts, as much of a disaster as those early rounds sometimes were, they still really managed to dig a lot of talent out of those late rounds, which spoke volumes about the quality of the scouting crew. Of course the coaching has to get credit too for having such cohesive, seemless transitions, but the talent has to be there to begin with for it to happen. Frankly, for people who didn't really know better and weren't paying too close attention, they never would have really known that Damien Woody was gone at the end of last year. Or outside of some drop in pass rush skill, it didn't seem overly obvious that the Jets were without their starting NT for the majority of the last two years. It's really great to see and the longer you can keep these kind of guys around, the better it is.

That's actually the funny thing about it, the Jets have been so fortunate with injuries the last few years that a lot of their backups never had to get into games. For that very reason, the Jets often got trashed for a supposed lack of depth, seeing as how nobody had ever really seen any of these guys play. Yet, on the occasions where injuries have happened these guys have hit the ground running. Goes to show you that they really know how to find some talent, it's just that nobody knew it was there.

I think a lot of that credit actually has to go to the scouting department, which has been together for a long time now, which tells you something in itself. I always used to point out that even when Bradway was GM, in his drafts, as much of a disaster as those early rounds sometimes were, they still really managed to dig a lot of talent out of those late rounds, which spoke volumes about the quality of the scouting crew. Of course the coaching has to get credit too for having such cohesive, seemless transitions, but the talent has to be there to begin with for it to happen. Frankly, for people who didn't really know better and weren't paying too close attention, they never would have really known that Damien Woody was gone at the end of last year. Or outside of some drop in pass rush skill, it didn't seem overly obvious that the Jets were without their starting NT for the majority of the last two years. It's really great to see and the longer you can keep these kind of guys around, the better it is.

Sione Pouha and Wayne Hunter are really good examples. The drop off from Jenkins and Woody could have been a disaster. I went to the 1st game that Hunter started in Pittsburgh during the season. I was expecting terrible things and he played great. Like you said, to most fans, they wouldn't have even known the backup was in.

The transition tag is totally stupid. They really should do away with it, but it doesn't have much teeth to it since the team isn't entitled to any compensation if someone outbids the transition tag amount. If the player is worth a long-term deal on the open market then being transition-tagged won't prevent it from happening.

Oddly enough, it's probably the only tag that probably works out well for the player. If he plays under the transition contract, that means he's playing 1 year for a top-10 salary he couldn't get on the open market. There's always the chance the player would have made nominally more with a long-term deal for less $ per year if he gets hurt badly enough while tagged. But he's still getting above-market money for his services.

It's used so infrequently, though, that there's really no harm in keeping it.

The transition tag is totally stupid. They really should do away with it, but it doesn't have much teeth to it since the team isn't entitled to any compensation if someone outbids the transition tag amount. If the player is worth a long-term deal on the open market then being transition-tagged won't prevent it from happening.

Oddly enough, it's probably the only tag that probably works out well for the player. If he plays under the transition contract, that means he's playing 1 year for a top-10 salary he couldn't get on the open market. There's always the chance the player would have made nominally more with a long-term deal for less $ per year if he gets hurt badly enough while tagged. But he's still getting above-market money for his services.

It's used so infrequently, though, that there's really no harm in keeping it.

IMO none of the tags or restrictions should be in place at all. If the NFL wants the rookie cap so badly and to structure the contracts, they have to give up retaining free agents in return. I also think the max rookie contract should be 4 years, so the maximum time a team would have rights to a player is 4 years. This 4 years should also be based on draft spot selection, a 3rd rounder obviously shouldn't be held to the same length of time as a 1st rounder because of the pay discrepancy.

I like the NBA system with a soft cap, and teams being able to re-sign their own players above the cap but pay a luxury tax. That makes even more sense in the NFL, where the draft is so important. If you draft well consistently, you ought to be able to retain your homegrown talent. That is also the incentive for players to stay on the teams that drafted them. It also opens the door to bad teams quickly improving if several players are willing to take lower salaries at least for a year to go to another team.

Since you can cut players still whenever you want, this also gives a team more incentive to just pay a star player that outperforms their contract, like Revis (heh..sort of) or especially Chris Johnson (due $800k lol).

The revenue numbers also work out better this way. Now the greedy owners that refuse to pay players can get what they want: continued crappy teams but a guaranteed easy profit, especially factoring in the luxury tax. The owners that actually want to win will just take the extra revenue they get and funnel it right back into the players so that they can win more.

The best part about this plan is once fans see which owners are really crappy, although we kind of already know which ones are, they might start pressuring the NFL for ownership changes so their teams become more competitive. The current system doesn't really expose bad owners, although everyone kind of knows Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder and whoever owns the Bengals are probably all pretty bad. Still at least Jones and Snyder spend money...the Bengals owner really should get more heat because he's clearly the worst in all of the NFL (Bengals don't even have a practice facility because he is so cheap).

IMO none of the tags or restrictions should be in place at all. If the NFL wants the rookie cap so badly and to structure the contracts, they have to give up retaining free agents in return. I also think the max rookie contract should be 4 years, so the maximum time a team would have rights to a player is 4 years. This 4 years should also be based on draft spot selection, a 3rd rounder obviously shouldn't be held to the same length of time as a 1st rounder because of the pay discrepancy.

I like the NBA system with a soft cap, and teams being able to re-sign their own players above the cap but pay a luxury tax. That makes even more sense in the NFL, where the draft is so important. If you draft well consistently, you ought to be able to retain your homegrown talent. That is also the incentive for players to stay on the teams that drafted them. It also opens the door to bad teams quickly improving if several players are willing to take lower salaries at least for a year to go to another team.

Since you can cut players still whenever you want, this also gives a team more incentive to just pay a star player that outperforms their contract, like Revis (heh..sort of) or especially Chris Johnson (due $800k lol).

The revenue numbers also work out better this way. Now the greedy owners that refuse to pay players can get what they want: continued crappy teams but a guaranteed easy profit, especially factoring in the luxury tax. The owners that actually want to win will just take the extra revenue they get and funnel it right back into the players so that they can win more.

The best part about this plan is once fans see which owners are really crappy, although we kind of already know which ones are, they might start pressuring the NFL for ownership changes so their teams become more competitive. The current system doesn't really expose bad owners, although everyone kind of knows Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder and whoever owns the Bengals are probably all pretty bad. Still at least Jones and Snyder spend money...the Bengals owner really should get more heat because he's clearly the worst in all of the NFL (Bengals don't even have a practice facility because he is so cheap).

Not loving that idea. A team that's presently awful, today, could ay least overpay for good FAs or a great one (or two) to kickstart them onto a better path instantly. An NBA type rule would eliminate that and force them onto waiting to luck into a truly great player. No o.e would take less money with a different team unless the new team was already great or if it was a market big enough to accommodate making up the difference through endorsements.

Not loving that idea. A team that's presently awful, today, could ay least overpay for good FAs or a great one (or two) to kickstart them onto a better path instantly. An NBA type rule would eliminate that and force them onto waiting to luck into a truly great player. No o.e would take less money with a different team unless the new team was already great or if it was a market big enough to accommodate making up the difference through endorsements.

You could have a situation where a QB, a WR and an RB agree to join the same team to build a super team. It would work better in the NFL than the NBA since they'd be able to play as a team as well, rather than all needing the ball to make plays.

I think the problem with a soft cap, Bird rights and luxury tax is revenue sharing. There are teams that will just sit back and rake in the dough and not spend. They won't be drawing in the money and they'd still be getting a share of the money the Cowboys pull in.

Absolutely disagree that 3 offensive players could band together Wade-LeBron-Bosh style and make anywhere near the difference they do in the NBA. Despite the obvious 3 out of 5 instead of 3 out of 11/22, there is the simple fact that with a sh*tty line the odds are that 2 out of 3 don't finish the year.

A hard cap is good for parity, and that's what the NFL wants. I don't see that changing. Otherwise you'd have the big market/wealthy teams paying that luxury tax while the small market teams flounder even more.

I do agree on shorter contracts for rookie contracts in exchange for a rookie salary cap, though. I think they should eliminate the RFA system in conjunction with that, and maybe put some teeth (draft pick compensation) into the transitions tags to even it out for the owners a little bit. If you're going to take the money away from these kids, they need to have the opportunity to earn it sooner rather than later.

A hard cap is good for parity, and that's what the NFL wants. I don't see that changing. Otherwise you'd have the big market/wealthy teams paying that luxury tax while the small market teams flounder even more.

I do agree on shorter contracts for rookie contracts in exchange for a rookie salary cap, though. I think they should eliminate the RFA system in conjunction with that, and maybe put some teeth (draft pick compensation) into the transitions tags to even it out for the owners a little bit. If you're going to take the money away from these kids, they need to have the opportunity to earn it sooner rather than later.

I would actually take it almost the other way. The point of things like the RFA tag is to try to allow teams to retain their own players, which I think is a very good thing. Particularly for any smaller market teams and / or rebuilding teams that will have more trouble attracting players. I would say keep the RFA system in (although shorten it if that's an issue), but eliminate the draft pick compensation and completely kill all of the poison-pill nonsense in return.

Essentially, make it so that after a rookie contract, those players can go out and shop for their best deal without other teams having to worry about what they have to give up to get them, but their team still has the opportunity to match that to keep them on. If the team chooses not to, well that's their decision, so they get nothing in return (only possible exception would be counting those guys in the draft's comp pick system). Perhaps even put in a clause that the contract wouldn't necessarily have to be matched word for word as long as it was matched in guaranteed and yearly value and the player agrees to any altered terms, to help avoid any cap-related BS teams try to pull off with these contracts. In the end, players are pretty much guaranteed to get their money, unless not a single team in the league thinks they are worth more than their tender amount, and teams have a very real opportunity to retain their draftees.

Archived