is 120 million a good cap for the JETS?

Jetkid94

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a previous article with Jason from NYJETSCAP.com

"Assuming that the franchise tag remains a valid mechanism in the new CBA the Jets will have approximately $111 million in cap commitments towards players currently under contract. That number does include workout bonus money and its uncertain as to what will happen with that money in a new CBA. The Jets workout money is close to $4 million. What that figure does not include is dead money from players who were cut- Kris Jenkins, Vernon Gholston, and Damien Woody- at the end of the season. Most people do not believe that dead money from players released in 2010 will remain on the books in 2011, however, if it does the Jets cap figure will balloon to around $120 million. If that is the case the Jets will have to make some rapid contractual adjustments at the start of the league year in order to have the cap space to sign their rookies and their free agents."

From a previous article with Jason from NYJETSCAP.com

"Assuming that the franchise tag remains a valid mechanism in the new CBA the Jets will have approximately $111 million in cap commitments towards players currently under contract. That number does include workout bonus money and its uncertain as to what will happen with that money in a new CBA. The Jets workout money is close to $4 million. What that figure does not include is dead money from players who were cut- Kris Jenkins, Vernon Gholston, and Damien Woody- at the end of the season. Most people do not believe that dead money from players released in 2010 will remain on the books in 2011, however, if it does the Jets cap figure will balloon to around $120 million. If that is the case the Jets will have to make some rapid contractual adjustments at the start of the league year in order to have the cap space to sign their rookies and their free agents."

Uh-oh.....

Uh-oh.....

I believe they'd get there pretty quickly by signing David Harris long term (IIRC his cap hit is currently $10 mil) and by restructuring Sanchez ($17 mil?). That will leave them with enough room to sign Cro and one of the WRs, but definitely not both.

I believe they'd get there pretty quickly by signing David Harris long term (IIRC his cap hit is currently $10 mil) and by restructuring Sanchez ($17 mil?). That will leave them with enough room to sign Cro and one of the WRs, but definitely not both.

How about cro one of Holmes and Braylon and then moss or plax?

forget the cap for a second

let's say the cap was 500 million dollars

does anyone really believe that santonio holmes, braylon edwards or antonio cromartie are sound investments? that their performance on their 2nd contract will be as good as (or better than) their performance on their 1st contract? It's a serious questions.

There's a reason why Revis, Brick and Mangold are already locked up, and these other guys aren't. It's not just talent it's reliability and dependability.

I personally wouldn't trustthese fools to go get me a bag of wise potato chips from the corner store.

does anyone really believe that santonio holmes, braylon edwards or antonio cromartie are sound investments? that their performance on their 2nd contract will be as good as (or better than) their performance on their 1st contract? It's a serious questions.

There's a reason why Revis, Brick and Mangold are already locked up, and these other guys aren't. It's not just talent it's reliability and dependability.

I personally wouldn't trustthese fools to go get me a bag of wise potato chips from the corner store.

All 3 are sound investments. They all played thier asses off last season. Without them the NYJETS wouldnt be in the AFC Championship game. Who replaces them? Let me tell you Kyle Wilson aka Otis "Toast" Smith is not the answer at CB opposite Revis and Plax,T.O and Ocho arent replacements at WR. No way in hell. :angry:

Every Super Bowl team has a good amount of unreliable guys on it.

By Albert Breer NFL Network

NFL Network Reporter

Published: July 15, 2011 at 11:34 a.m. Updated: July 15, 2011 at 11:45 a.m

Also, salary-cap details became clear -- the 2011 projected cap will be roughly $123 million, according to sources, but as a practical matter will "feel" more like $130 million to teams when cap credits and new cap exceptions are factored. And teams will have to spend, in cash, 90 percent to the cap minimum, and league-wide spending will be pegged at 99 percent to the cap.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820caaf6/article/players-owners-reach-agreement-on-economics-of-deal?campaign=Twitter_news

Hopefully as soon as the lockout ends. So we all have more to celebrate. :D

The correct answer was "CAN'T WAIT!!!"

Any real Jets fan would have got that.

Thanks for playing, there are no parting gifts, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Here's what I don't get. Ok, people are saying, let's go and re-sign two of the following three: Cro, Edwards, Holmes.

Ok, fine. I would be happy with that, really.

The problem is... we have about 10 more free agents. What about both of the Smiths.. Ellis, Pool, Coleman, Folk, Weatherford, Ighedibo, Woody/Hunter...?????

Here's what I don't get. Ok, people are saying, let's go and re-sign two of the following three: Cro, Edwards, Holmes.

The problem is... we have about 10 more free agents. What about both of the Smiths.. Ellis, Pool, Coleman, Folk, Weatherford, Ighedibo, Woody/Hunter...?????

I think most people expect us to sign a bunch of those guys back, but they're a lot less concern because outside of Ellis and maybe Woody/Hunter, you are talking you're talking real low end contracts for these guys, so it will come down to a lot more of whether they want to stay / whether the Jets want to keep them, as opposed to those other guys where contract negotiation and how much the Jets are willing to pay is a much more major component.

Not to mention, most of those are guys are a lot more easily replaceable with some random free agent signing or even just giving their PT to a rookie or some other backup.

I think most people expect us to sign a bunch of those guys back, but they're a lot less concern because outside of Ellis and maybe Woody/Hunter, you are talking you're talking real low end contracts for these guys, so it will come down to a lot more of whether they want to stay / whether the Jets want to keep them, as opposed to those other guys where contract negotiation and how much the Jets are willing to pay is a much more major component.

Not to mention, most of those are guys are a lot more easily replaceable with some random free agent signing or even just giving their PT to a rookie or some other backup.

What you say makes sense. I'm not trying to argue with anyone because I know next to nothing about how this works, I'm just confused because let's say we come in at 8 million under the cap. It seems like we're thinking "can we use that to sign 2 of these three?" However, isn't that 8 mil already basically swallowed up just by the fact that you need to add 10-15 players to the roster? I mean, let's say it's 15 and they all make 0.5 mil. That's still 7.5/8 mil right there... and that's before you get around to signing ANY of the three. Right?

I think keeping the chemistry in tact on O, is the utmost priority. Defense is solid at some key positions we just need to fill in some killers. Punters are essential and it seems there less good punters every year, so that would a priority especially if the O, and ST are not at least giving the D field position to work with all 3 phases have to help one another.

Cro has played well on the field, he saved our @ss when Revis was having issues. I don't recall any issues he has had in the locker room or off the field this year either. Look, I wouldn't want him as a mentor for one of my kids, but as football players go, yeah I think he is a pretty sound investment for what he is capable of on the field. He was definitely a difference maker this year for us.

Braylon has only gotten better on the field the longer he has been here. His drops were really only an issue in 09, and let's not forget he was a mid season trade that year. He is young, has great height and speed, and is as athletic as any wr in the game. I would love to see him grow with the Sanchize. Off the field, we know he was a knucklehead in Cleveland, and yeah he has his dui case, but he hasn't been a locker room issue and he has said all the right things about wanting to be a Jet. In Clevelend it seems like the more unhappy he got, the worse he played. In NY, seems like the opposite to me.

Holmes, sorry, I don't see what everyone else apparently sees. Yeah he has some great talent and speed, but he just didn't seem 100% consistent to me. He isn't very tall, and with the cb position getting faster and more importantly taller, that is gonna take a ew tricks out of his bag. Off the field is the biggest issue with me. After the drug related comments he made following his last suspension, I don't see how anyone else can think he won't be up against a 1 year suspension again at some point. His comments about his free agency and wanting to chase the money also are a little unsettling. Yeah it is a business and it is all about the money, but being too stupid to know not to act that way publicly is not a good sign that a player has his head on his shoulders. I value him as the most risky investment of the group, and with talent that I don't see as substantially better than Braylon, I go with Edwards first if choosing between the two.

I know the vast majority here will think I am on crack saying Holmes isn't substantially better than Edwards, but it is just the way I see it.

Archived