Recertification delay is a red herring

F.Chowds

Oh, and one other thing, the decertification was a sham and everyone knows it, but it's over now so who gives a crap? Smith can ramble on all he wants, but there's not a person out there stupid enough to think that this was done for any other reason than so they could sue the NFL. There were no "sober thoughts" about the real impact of decertification of a union or any of the other horse sh*t he wants you to believe. But you know what? Pretty much everyone realizes that and is still fine with it anyway, so get over it already. Let's just move on, because at this point the details behind that are a complete non-issue to everyone but Smith and the NFLPA lawyers.

This Kessler guy is apparently out of control:

Logan Mankins apparenty isn’t happy with Jeff Kessler

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT

Getty Images

In the past few days since Ron Borges of the Boston Herald first speculated (likely with more information than he let on) that Patriots guard Logan Mankins would demand something for signing his name to the Tom Brady class action, we’ve heard nothing from Mankins or his agent, Frank Bauer.

We have now.

“I think it’s realy unfair what has happened to Logan Mankins in media characterizations that he is making monetary demands or holding up a settlement,” Frank Bauer told Chris Mortensen of ESPN. “Logan Mankins is a young man who was encouraged and solicited into a lawsuit to help the union spearhead a new agreement. Logan’s main concern for entering into as a plaintiff was to see if he can become free and help other players have less restrictions. For people to say he has made monetary demands, he hasn’t made any such demand. We don’t know terms. We haven’t talked to [NFLPA* attorney] Jeff Kessler. There has been no communication, but it’s irresponsible to report Logan has made monetary demands.

“Are we disappointed there has been no communication? Hugely. He trusted the union and Kessler to fight for Logan Mankins and the other players.”

It has been widely reported that Kessler has been demanding free agency or free money for Mankins and Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson. Apparently, Kessler made his demands without making sure that Mankins wanted free agency or free money.

Now, Mankins apparently wants a free run at Kessler.

Mankins may have to get in line.

And now it looks like this is all much ado about nothing:

Here’s how a deal can be done, now

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

This isn’t speculation. This isn’t a hypothesis. This is fact.

The NFLPA* is ready to do a deal. The NFLPA* is ready to commit to reformulating the union. But the NFLPA* doesn’t believe that it can be done without signed union cards.

And it won’t take two weeks to get the signed union cards. The NFLPA* is willing to agree to the proposed settlement and to commit to reforming as a union. The NFLPA* simply wants to wait until camps open to physically collect the cards.

The problem is that the NFLPA* believes that NFL lawyer Bob Batterman (pictured) is demanding that the owners require the NFLPA* to immediately reconstitute. And for the same reason that some owners think NFLPA* lawyer Jeffrey Kessler wants to blow up the deal, the NFLPA* now thinks Batterman wants to blow up the deal.

This one is simple. And the league needs to agree to it. Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith now trust each other. Goodell needs only to trust Smith for a week. Smith got the signatures needed to shut down the union, and he’ll get the signatures on the union cards to put it back together.

So while we’ve been making plenty of pleas to the players lately, he’s an open plea to the NFL. The players want to do this deal, but they want to do it their way. Let them do it their way, and a deal will be done.

NFL, the ball is in your court.

UPDATE: Based on what we’re currently hearing from the league, it looks like the NFL is willing to agree to those terms. Though it’s too early to declare that a done deal is coming, we’re finally moving in that direction.

I know that's the story they're giving, but I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a second. Electronic signatures have been a completely acceptable means of authorization for years now, and I see no reason why this would be any different.

The problem is for certification of the Union you have to have actual signatures.....Essentially, becuase the employees decertified the Union they have to sign Authorizatoin cards, indicating that they want the NFLPA to represent them. They may actially have to go the NLRB for them to recertify the bargaining unit. The NLRB will not do that based on electronic signatures.

I know that's the story they're giving, but I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a second. Electronic signatures have been a completely acceptable means of authorization for years now, and I see no reason why this would be any different.

Not for legal documents, particularly not for union certification.

This isn't like the debt ceiling, there is no one date the contract has to be signed by.

Remember the players' strike in the eighties, and how quickly the players folded? That was the big issue here-could the players possibly hold up.

The answer turned out to be yes, the players could. But now that the contract is signed, the job and the money are right there staring them in the face-if you think the players are going to vote NO now, you are out of your mind.

Archived