OK, If You're Santonio Holmes...

SoFlaJets

You take the money.

You cannot spend playoff appearances after you retire.

Dollars, on the other hand, are real before, during and after one's playing years.

I'd be very suprised if Holmes doesn't take the largest deal he is offered, regardless of where that deal would take him.

The idea of a hometown discount is cute and quaint, but more fan-fantasy and after-the-fact PR-spin than reality IMO.

I have serious doubts that most players have that attitude. Winning a championship MEANS EVERYTHING in football, and it's not like these dudes are gonna be broke if they get 8 million instead of 12. Either way they have PLENTY to spend. The title means everything and if you think that isn't the primary motivation for most of these players, then I really don't know what to tell you. If Holmes retires with 1 title, he's known as a great player. If he retires with 3-4, he becomes mentioned along with the best receivers to play the game. I've never heard of a player starting to not care about titles, simply because he won one. He's already got chemistry with Sanchez, and the Jets are probably his best chance to get back to the bowl.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have serious doubts that most players have that attitude.

Lots of Fans do, but fans (IMO) are startlingly naive at times. The number of players who refused a higher/better offer to stay with a supposed "Champion Ready" team who has yet to actually wint he title.....not too many. The vast majority go with the money.

Winning a championship MEANS EVERYTHING in football

And Holmes already has one.

and it's not like these dudes are gonna be broke if they get 8 million instead of 12.

Perfect example of fan naivity.

Fan: "Pssshhh, whats another 4 million, thats nothing, pennies, compared to the glory and brilliance of playing with the Godlike Sanchez, and the greatest Coach eva, Rex! Of course he'll take less to stay in NY!"

It's possible he might. Odds say he won't, IF a higher offer exists.

Either way they have PLENTY to spend.

Jets are over the new Cap. Some teams are 30-40 million below the new cap.

Define "Plenty".

The title means everything and if you think that isn't the primary motivation for most of these players, then I really don't know what to tell you.

You've told me plenty already, like that you buy that cheesy PR line hook, line and sinker when the history of Free Agency proves otherwise, in almost every sport.

Guest Jpf4671

I have serious doubts that most players have that attitude. Winning a championship MEANS EVERYTHING in football, and it's not like these dudes are gonna be broke if they get 8 million instead of 12. Either way they have PLENTY to spend. The title means everything and if you think that isn't the primary motivation for most of these players, then I really don't know what to tell you. If Holmes retires with 1 title, he's known as a great player. If he retires with 3-4, he becomes mentioned along with the best receivers to play the game. I've never heard of a player starting to not care about titles, simply because he won one. He's already got chemistry with Sanchez, and the Jets are probably his best chance to get back to the bowl.

Some of these guys DO go broke if they take 8 million instead of 12

Perfect example of fan naivity.

Fan: "Pssshhh, whats another 4 million, thats nothing, pennies, compared to the glory and brilliance of playing with the Godlike Sanchez, and the greatest Coach eva, Rex! Of course he'll take less to stay in NY!"

It's possible he might. Odds say he won't, IF a higher offer exists.

How is it naive to say that being a multi millionare you have plenty of money??? Unless you're a complete idiot that has no idea how to control his finances, retiring with 20 million as opposed to 25 in the bank is not going to significantly change your quality of life. These guys are way overpaid, and I feel that most players care MORE about a title. Not to say they don't care about the money, because they obviously do, but how many guys would willingly leave a championship caliber team and join a crappy 5-6 win team just for more money? If it's a legit contender I can see it, but nobody's going to willingly join some garbage team just to make more money and if they do, their heart is not in the game.

Jets are over the new Cap. Some teams are 30-40 million below the new cap.

Define "Plenty"

Did you even read my post? I was talking about the player's personal money, not the cap space.

You've told me plenty already, like that you buy that cheesy PR line hook, line and sinker when the history of Free Agency proves otherwise, in almost every sport.

Like I said, find me a big name player that won a title and then willingly left their team to join a <6 win team that wasn't an up and comer.

Some of these guys DO go broke if they take 8 million instead of 12

Yep and they're complete morons. I can get by fine on 40k a year. There's NO excuses for someone that makes over a million a year to have financial issues. NONE AT ALL.

How is it naive to say that being a multi millionare you have plenty of money??? Unless you're a complete idiot that has no idea how to control his finances, retiring with 20 million as opposed to 25 in the bank is not going to significantly change your quality of life. These guys are way overpaid, and I feel that most players care MORE about a title. Not to say they don't care about the money, because they obviously do, but how many guys would willingly leave a championship caliber team and join a crappy 5-6 win team just for more money? If it's a legit contender I can see it, but nobody's going to willingly join some garbage team just to make more money and if they do, their heart is not in the game.

Lol. Thanks for proving my point about Fans being Naive.

I'd love to live in the world where the desire for the most money possible was not the #1 motivation of pro-athletes, but that world simply does not exist in the majority.

Like I said, find me a big name player that won a title and then willingly left their team to join a <6 win team that wasn't an up and comer

I think the burden here is on you to list all the top-tier Free Agents who turned down higher offers to stay with a team who has yet to win a title. You seem to think it's commonplace for players to turn down more money to stay with their existing team for less money/worse terms, I'd say otherwise.

So give us the list of equivalent talents who stayed, and took less money to do so.

End of the day, we'll know soon enough if Santonio takes the money, or goes with a team who can win for less. Unless, of course, we offer him the most money.

Yep and they're complete morons. I can get by fine on 40k a year. There's NO excuses for someone that makes over a million a year to have financial issues. NONE AT ALL.

I agree completely.

However, while true, that ignores basic human nature and a litany of athletes who've done just that.

For example, our current #2 QB, Mr. Brunell. Trust me, if Brunell could get more money elsewhere he would too.

'Strong' chance Santonio stays with Jets: agent

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, likely to be one of the most popular free agents now that the NFL lockout is over, has a good chance to stay with the Jets.

Holmes' agent, Joel Segal, told The Post on Monday, "Santonio loves New York, he's a fan of the head coach, he likes the quarterback, he likes the system. There's a strong possibility of Santonio staying in New York. He's a huge fan of New York."

The Redskins reportedly will make an attempt to sign Holmes, who played last season for the Jets after being traded from the Steelers.

"I spoke to Santonio numerous times. We have a plan," Segal said. "We know our priorities and we're ready to go."

The NFL lockout ended Monday when players finally signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement that the owners approved last Thursday.

All offseason activity has been shut down since March, leaving a limited amount of time for teams to sign players before camps open this week.

"This is going to be unprecedented and historical," Segal said of free agency.

"There are going to be so many free agents that you don't want to get in a game of musical chairs and not have a seat at the end. You might move more quickly because you now have free agents from last year who were restricted becoming free agents, so there are almost two classes of free agents now.

"You have to make sure there are jobs for them after the traditional, first-wave free agents. That process sometimes can take a month. I don't see that happening now."

Receivers Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, and cornerback Antonio Cromartie, are other Jets free agents.

There are going to be so many free agents that you don't want to get in a game of musical chairs and not have a seat at the end. You might move more quickly because you now have free agents from last year who were restricted becoming free agents, so there are almost two classes of free agents now.

I used this exact same analogy a couple days ago. Not surprised that an agent feels the same way. The big money always comes early - no reason to put off signing a good contract. Holmes passes on the Jets offer, Edwards or somebody else will swoop in and take that money, no problem.

How many Lamborghini's do you own? D-Rob had over 30 classic autos.

Read an article last year that over 65% of players declare bankruptcy within ten years of retiring

They have 5-10 years to make their entire life income. Most also live very high life styles.

How many years is it going to take you to make that 4,000,000 you think they are going to leave on the table? 100?

Whoever posted that the Jets are over the salary cap is not informed properly they are at 101 million so that puts them 19 million below, and 25+mill below after the special 2011 cap rules then re doing Samchez, and Harris and cutting Thomas that will put the Jets about 30 million under the 127 million they can spend this year.

Whoever posted that the Jets are over the salary cap is not informed properly they are at 101 million

That's definitely wrong. It doesn't include the tag or dead money. We're at least at 111 and could be at 120.

No way of knowing this to be true.

Winning in Pittsburg is not nearly as epic as winning with the Jets for the first time since SBIII. All depends on how he looks at the whole situation. He might also want a ring to show Pittsburgh they made a mistake making an example out of him, and giving Ben a longer leash.

No way of knowing what goes on between the ears of these guys.

I think the winning in Pittsburgh vs. winning with the Jets is really only a big deal for Jets fans.

I mean, wasn't Lebron going to rebuild the New York Knicks?

That's definitely wrong. It doesn't include the tag or dead money. We're at least at 111 and could be at 120.

It does include dead money but not Harris so it's 111 mill.

So we have around 20 million to spend with the new cap rules and reworking of contracts

Whoever posted that the Jets are over the salary cap is not informed properly they are at 101 million so that puts them 19 million below, and 25+mill below after the special 2011 cap rules then re doing Samchez, and Harris and cutting Thomas that will put the Jets about 30 million under the 127 million they can spend this year.

The "Jets Over" comment has been widely reported via all the major sports media. If it's wrong, you'll need to take it up with Mike & Mike, ESPN, FOXSports, New York Sports Radio, DC Sports Radio, et al.

In addition, "Reworking Sanchez, Signing Harris and Cutting Thomas" hasn't happened yet, so cannot in good faith be considered till it's actually done. Till it is, if thats what brings us under the cap, we're still over the cap till it's done and final.

'Strong' chance Santonio stays with Jets: agent

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, likely to be one of the most popular free agents now that the NFL lockout is over, has a good chance to stay with the Jets.

Holmes' agent, Joel Segal, told The Post on Monday, "Santonio loves New York, he's a fan of the head coach, he likes the quarterback, he likes the system. There's a strong possibility of Santonio staying in New York. He's a huge fan of New York."

The Redskins reportedly will make an attempt to sign Holmes, who played last season for the Jets after being traded from the Steelers.

"I spoke to Santonio numerous times. We have a plan," Segal said. "We know our priorities and we're ready to go."

The NFL lockout ended Monday when players finally signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement that the owners approved last Thursday.

All offseason activity has been shut down since March, leaving a limited amount of time for teams to sign players before camps open this week.

"This is going to be unprecedented and historical," Segal said of free agency.

"There are going to be so many free agents that you don't want to get in a game of musical chairs and not have a seat at the end. You might move more quickly because you now have free agents from last year who were restricted becoming free agents, so there are almost two classes of free agents now.

"You have to make sure there are jobs for them after the traditional, first-wave free agents. That process sometimes can take a month. I don't see that happening now."

Receivers Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, and cornerback Antonio Cromartie, are other Jets free agents.

I think Santonio probably does like it here. So much so, that he'll be willing to give the Jets a chance to match his best offer before he signs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTTVkh6NX50

I think the winning in Pittsburgh vs. winning with the Jets is really only a big deal for Jets fans.

I mean, wasn't Lebron going to rebuild the New York Knicks?

Very good point... I supposed we won't know until the dust settles.

I'd prefer we keep Holmes, however, don't like the idea of a bidding war with Dan Snyder. If Holmes wants to be the next Haynesworth and become football irrelevant in 2 years, let him.

Braylon, Asomugha and someone like a James Jones would make me happy. Unlike most people, I haven't pinned my hopes to 1 or 2 players... the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and all that.

Very good point... I supposed we won't know until the dust settles.

I'd prefer we keep Holmes, however, don't like the idea of a bidding war with Dan Snyder. If Holmes wants to be the next Haynesworth and become football irrelevant in 2 years, let him.

Braylon, Asomugha and someone like a James Jones would make me happy. Unlike most people, I haven't pinned my hopes to 1 or 2 players... the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and all that.

Holmes made some great game winning plays for us, but honestly, I thought Braylon had the better year last year. Holmes had some critical drops and while he's a great player, give me Braylon's speed and height if I had to choose one.

As for Asomugha, I mean, yeah, great... I'd love to have him. But, that sounds like a pipe dream, and as I commented in the thread, we really need a guy cover TE's rather than another elite corner. Plus, I think the whole thing's just a pipe dream. Lets see what happens though, would definitely be cool.

Looking that over really quickly, no way Tomlinson could be worth 4M this year, could he be?

Of course not. Push comes to shove we're obviously not gonna keep him around just because he got ink. Tomlinson and Thomas both have to go, Sanchez has to restructure, and Harris has to sign long term before we have any real room to maneuver. I don't think people understand how good a chance there is that we get shut out of free agency altogether. We really got keestered by the minimum salary increases too.

Of course not. Push comes to shove we're obviously not gonna keep him around just because he got ink. Tomlinson and Thomas both have to go, Sanchez has to restructure, and Harris has to sign long term before we have any real room to maneuver. I don't think people understand how good a chance there is that we get shut out of free agency altogether. We really got keestered by the minimum salary increases too.

Looking at that Thomas LT and Brunell need to be cut that would save over 8 million in cap space.

And in terms of getting shut out in FA that is not gonna happen you can sign 15 players on Friday and be over the cap all u want u have till Aug. 4th to be cap compliant.

And in terms of getting shut out in FA that is not gonna happen you can sign 15 players on Friday and be over the cap all u want u have till Aug. 4th to be cap compliant.

We also have to have about 35 more players under contract by then. As things presently stand we don't have the ability to sign Holmes or Edwards or whoever and just defer the question of how to get under the cap until next week.

Anyone who thinks a professional athlete is going to take a considerable amount less for a championship is naive beyond belief. They are all about getting the most money possible and you can't blame them. They probably have 10-12 years max of keeping with this degree of earnings there is no reason they shouldn't maximize their earnings to keep them secure for the rest of their lives.

Also for whoever said whats the difference between 8-12 million are you slow? Thats a 33% pay cut, it doesn't matter that 8 million may still be a ton of money you are purposely losing yourself $4 million which is utterly absurd. Any of you who were in their position would do the same thing and never look back.

We also have to have about 35 more players under contract by then. As things presently stand we don't have the ability to sign Holmes or Edwards or whoever and just defer the question of how to get under the cap until next week.

Thinking things will be as things presently stand on Thursday at 4:01 pm is absurd your just being stubborn to push your point down my throat. Got it today were screwed, you need to get Friday we will be fine in Tanny I trust.

Not getting at least one of the WR's puts an end to the season before opening day. Happy times.

Holmes made some great game winning plays for us, but honestly, I thought Braylon had the better year last year. Holmes had some critical drops and while he's a great player, give me Braylon's speed and height if I had to choose one.

Look at the stats. They are virtually the same for both Edwards and Holmes. The only difference is Holmes only played 12 games, while Edwards played 16. Holmes maybe had 1 or 2 more drops than Edwards this year but that stat isn't reliable or official. Holmes is the better playmaker and more versatile receiver, IMO. Edwards is great too, but he's #2 compared to Holmes.

As for Asomugha, I mean, yeah, great... I'd love to have him. But, that sounds like a pipe dream, and as I commented in the thread, we really need a guy cover TE's rather than another elite corner. Plus, I think the whole thing's just a pipe dream. Lets see what happens though, would definitely be cool.

Braylon's alright. I'm not going to over-analyze it to be honest. Sanchez averaged 235 yards per game with Holmes, and like 175 without. Not sure how that stat was skewed... maybe more attempts? Maybe all Holmes? Who knows...

I trust Tanny to keep us competitive... I'm not pinning my hopes to 2-3 players. I don't like the continuity argument either, Sanchez didn't have much with Bray or Holmes to start last year, and we ended up in teh AFC title game.

The key to this season will be the 4 RBs... Greene and Powell specifically. I think we are going to maul teams on offense this season. So I'm not that worried about having a stud WR corps.

My biggest concern is them spending smart so that we are competitive beyond this season too.

Not getting at least one of the WR's puts an end to the season before opening day. Happy times.

Welcome to the pros. Building a roster from scratch isn't nothing but it's not really all that difficult to do provided you're not in cap hell at the outset. Maintaining a good team is a different problem, and don't get me wrong, on balance it's certainly the one I'd rather have, but it's not like Tannenbaum's got any more experience being in this position than we do.

Braylon's alright. I'm not going to over-analyze it to be honest. Sanchez averaged 235 yards per game with Holmes, and like 175 without. Not sure how that stat was skewed... maybe more attempts? Maybe all Holmes? Who knows...

I trust Tanny to keep us competitive... I'm not pinning my hopes to 2-3 players. I don't like the continuity argument either, Sanchez didn't have much with Bray or Holmes to start last year, and we ended up in teh AFC title game.

The key to this season will be the 4 RBs... Greene and Powell specifically. I think we are going to maul teams on offense this season. So I'm not that worried about having a stud WR corps.

My biggest concern is them spending smart so that we are competitive beyond this season too.

great post Optimus, +1 for me

please don't overpay for Santonio, let the skins do that

If only Favre would come back, it wouldn't matter if we signed Tone or Bray.

Picture this:

Favre, T.O., Moss, and Ocho.

You know they would all sign for peanuts to play for Rex.

maybe we could get Priest Holmes and Jamal Lewis too.

that would be awesome!

If only Favre would come back, it wouldn't matter if we signed Tone or Bray.

Picture this:

Favre, T.O., Moss, and Ocho.

You know they would all sign for peanuts to play for Rex.

maybe we could get Priest Holmes and Jamal Lewis too.

that would be awesome!

and to think this is the result of all of my "Where The Heck Is Greenmeanie?" threads...

and you have a choice to take a ton of Daniel Snyder's money but with that deal you will have John Beck attempting to get you the ball or do you stay with a clutch PLAYOFF PROVEN QB like Mark Sanchez at the helm....what would you do?

i would like to think at some point, it starts to become monopoly money..

i get the whole, make as much as you can, period thing..

but how is holmes' lifestyle gonna change in any way based on taking a few more millions from the redskins, instead of trying to get another ring with the jets..

i would like to think at some point, it starts to become monopoly money..

i get the whole, make as much as you can, period thing..

but how is holmes' lifestyle gonna change in any way based on taking a few more millions from the redskins, instead of trying to get another ring with the jets..

The Jets will match or get pretty damn close to Washington's number

and you have a choice to take a ton of Daniel Snyder's money but with that deal you will have John Beck attempting to get you the ball or do you stay with a clutch PLAYOFF PROVEN QB like Mark Sanchez at the helm....what would you do?

I would sacrifice a little money and return to the Jets.

But, I'm not Santonio Holmes.

Archived