Why cant more players be like Peyton Manning

visajets

"I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players," he added.

Report: Colts give Manning five-year, $90 million deal

ProFootballWeekly.com

Report: Colts give Manning five-year, $90 million deal The Colts have reportedly reached an agreement with franchise QB Peyton Manning(notes). According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it is a five-year, $90 million deal.

That's an $18 million-a-year average, equaling the deal the Patriots gave Tom Brady(notes) last offseason.

Manning had been given the exclusive franchise tag before the lockout, but owner Jim Irsay had made it clear the team was going to try to sign him to a long-term deal, with a goal of getting it done before Sunday.

Manning, who had neck surgery on May 23 to remove a portion of a bulging disk, has not begun practicing. He told The Indianapolis Star this week, "While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player, I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is." Manning referenced RB Joseph Addai(notes) and OLT Charlie Johnson(notes).

"I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players," he added.

According to Mortensen, Manning told Irsay that a five-year, $100 million deal was not necessary. That would have made him the highest-paid player in football; instead he is at the same average as Brady.

The 11-time Pro Bowler threw 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, while many of his skill players battled injuries.

Report: Colts give Manning five-year, $90 million deal

ProFootballWeekly.com

Report: Colts give Manning five-year, $90 million deal The Colts have reportedly reached an agreement with franchise QB Peyton Manning(notes). According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it is a five-year, $90 million deal.

That's an $18 million-a-year average, equaling the deal the Patriots gave Tom Brady(notes) last offseason.

Manning had been given the exclusive franchise tag before the lockout, but owner Jim Irsay had made it clear the team was going to try to sign him to a long-term deal, with a goal of getting it done before Sunday.

Manning, who had neck surgery on May 23 to remove a portion of a bulging disk, has not begun practicing. He told The Indianapolis Star this week, "While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player, I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is." Manning referenced RB Joseph Addai(notes) and OLT Charlie Johnson(notes).

According to Mortensen, Manning told Irsay that a five-year, $100 million deal was not necessary. That would have made him the highest-paid player in football; instead he is at the same average as Brady.

The 11-time Pro Bowler threw 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, while many of his skill players battled injuries.

I like and respect Manning and wish more players were like him, but in all fairness, it is a bit easier to take less when you're up in the top tier of salaries. It's obviously a lot tougher for players, especially non-QBs, to take that approach when chances of injury is greater and they're not making alot (relative to others) to begin with.

I do get your point, though and it is nice to see players who are not driven so much by ego and wanting to be the "highest paid" ala Revis.

****sake, the **** is still making 90 million ******* dollars. It's not like he said ok give me 10 million a year or 5. He's getting 18 ******* mill a year and still gets an a$$ load of money from endorsements. I'm sick of everyone saying how wonderful the **** is, get off his dick already. ******* idiots.

****sake, the **** is still making 90 million ******* dollars. It's not like he said ok give me 10 million a year or 5. He's getting 18 ******* mill a year and still gets an a$$ load of money from endorsements. I'm sick of everyone saying how wonderful the **** is, get off his dick already. ******* idiots.

Do you need a hug?

Thought I made the same point, but you were much more articulate.

Thanks for playing.

Come on man, he is taking one for the team. Can you imagine that he is ONLY going to make 23 million a year in each of the first three years? It is all about the team for these Manning kids.

it's pretty easy to take "less" when less is $69M over the 1st 3 yrs.

Like I always say, you go to college so you can build a successful career. You hope to build the skills needed to succeed in life. In the class of 98, the most successful was Manning. 2nd? Manning's wife.

I like and respect Manning and wish more players were like him, but in all fairness, it is a bit easier to take less when you're up in the top tier of salaries. It's obviously a lot tougher for players, especially non-QBs, to take that approach when chances of injury is greater and they're not making alot (relative to others) to begin with.

I do get your point, though and it is nice to see players who are not driven so much by ego and wanting to be the "highest paid" ala Revis.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Especially when you are in the latter half of your career.

Thanks for being sucj a stabd up guy Peyton. Brady did that 10 years ago. Maybe you would have more than one ring if you were a little more magnanimous before you took that ridiculous 135 million contract last time.

I think the point is not whether he's rich enough to take the 10Mil less. It's whether or not he wants to make history as the highest paid football ever. That's a helluva thing to hang your hat on. Namath became famous before he ever threw an NFL pass for the simple reason that he signed a 400K rookie contract. Football players are generally swinging dix looking for money fame, and notoriety. Revis' $1 more holdout is a testament to that. Manning said No Thanks. Not a big deal to an uber-rich dude, but it means soemthing to the league and his team.

Didn't he make enough on his last contract anyway? After last year I think it finally got through his head that maybe killing the salary cap by himself is counterproductive. Most players don't get $20M plus in their careers, with low chance of injury, very high control in their own stats/performance, and little to no chance of getting cut.

Brady figured it out much quicker. Still the Eagles are somehow further ahead than everyone else right now on this department, everyone takes less to play there.

When you're making 90 frackin million dollars over the course of 5 years, yeah, you can definitely afford a paycut lol.

How the franchises can justify over paying somebody by THAT MUCH, yet still charge fans 10 bucks for a damn hotdog. Steal from the poor and give the to rich lol.

the point of the story is THEY OFFERED him 100m. he said NO just give me 90m. they didnt ask him to take a pay cut. he pay cutted himself. i have seen a few pro athletes take 1 for the team if they are asked, but never just gave back 10% to sign other players

When you're making 90 frackin million dollars over the course of 5 years, yeah, you can definitely afford a paycut lol.

How the franchises can justify over paying somebody by THAT MUCH, yet still charge fans 10 bucks for a damn hotdog. Steal from the poor and give the to rich lol.

Poor people like that type of thing. They love claiming the ultra rich pay more in taxes and such and to leave the poor rich people alone.

the point of the story is THEY OFFERED him 100m. he said NO just give me 90m. they didnt ask him to take a pay cut. he pay cutted himself. i have seen a few pro athletes take 1 for the team if they are asked, but never just gave back 10% to sign other players

He's still going to make 40 million ******* dollars a year for the next 3 years so I'm really not ******* impressed. If he was so worried about signing more players he could have said give me 20 mill over the next 5 years on top of the 15 mill a year he makes on the side.

He's still going to make 40 million ******* dollars a year for the next 3 years so I'm really not ******* impressed. If he was so worried about signing more players he could have said give me 20 mill over the next 5 years on top of the 15 mill a year he makes on the side.

hell,in that respect, he could play for free and donate all his possessions to the poor and needy. you might be impressed then

Archived