Braylon's Entourage involved in 2am bar room fight

flgreen

Top Stories

Full size

By Jack Dickey Aug 2, 2011 5:30 PM

824 1

braylon edwards

Braylon Edwards Has The Kind Of Résumé No Free Agent Wide Receiver Would Want

Former Jets and Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards is a free agent. Edwards is 6' 3", spry, a leaper. He has 39 touchdowns in six seasons, which ties him for 23rd among active players. And he's one of the youngest in that bunch.

But no one wants him: The Jets prioritized Santonio Holmes over Edwards, before signing Plaxico Burress—after an two-years-and-change layoff—instead of Braylon. The Seahawks threw $41 million Sidney Rice's way, despite his injury history, and the Vikings responded by signing Michael Jenkins to replace him. Kansas City gave Steve Breaston some serious coin. The Packers gave James Jones a three-year deal, too. Edwards doesn't really understand why he's getting passed over.

But we know why no one would want to build around Braylon—he's always on the fringes of trouble. He's the player about whom columnists would say, "You know, he just doesn't get it," and they'd be right.

Take Sunday night, when Braylon's entourage, during a night of partying at South Bar with Jalen Rose (who began serving a DUI jail sentence today), started a fight with staff.

From Fox 2 in Detroit:

Sunday, Edwards was allegedly at the South Bar in Birmingham. Reportedly two people in his entourage were arrested after roughing up some employees around two o'clock in the morning.

Around that same time, Edwards tweeted, "Damn. Get ya knuckles ready" and "Don't fight if. You don't know how."

We're told the group of friends Edwards was with got into an argument with an employee at the nighttime hot spot that eventually spilled into the kitchen. There one worker was sliced with a knife requiring 14 stitches. Another was attacked with a fork.

EDIT: We had heard a little bit about this too, before the Fox story went to press: A tipster wrote, "Have you guys got the news on him at South last night????? This story is gonna take the cake. No way he starts this season off after Goodell gets a hold of this." A Twitterer who talked about beating people up for Braylon (he's since scrubbed the tweet) told me he wouldn't "snitch" on Monday.

The police say Edwards wasn't involved in the fracas, that the officers never even interacted with him. Ordinarily we—or like-minded sports fans—would claim Edwards was getting an unfair shake from the media, or the police. But those earlier tweets! Why, Braylon, why? (He later tweeted, "Yo...Lost my phone last night someone sent tweets. Deleted them and changed my password. Sorry for the mishap hopefully never happens again!" We know how the hacker excuse usually works.) And even when he's not running afoul of the law himself, he's flanking someone who is, or he's just being stupid.

Edwards was also out drinking with Donte' Stallworth in Miami the night Stallworth drove drunk and killed a pedestrian.

More from the Plain Dealer:

But it was 2006 that was really the banner year for Edwards. That year he:

• Disobeyed head coach Romeo Crennel, renting a helicopter to attend the Ohio State-Michigan game in Columbus and arriving late for a team meeting. Crennel fined him.

• Criticized offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson's playcalling, saying he wasn't aggressive enough in the red zone.

• Called out teammate safety Brian Russell, saying Russell's hit that knocked Cincinnati's Chad Johnson out of the game "bullsh*t." Crennel, in turn, blasted Edwards for criticizing his own teammate. "It was a legal hit," Crennel said. "You don't air family laundry."

• Went berserk on the sidelines of the Bengals game, grabbing Charlie Frye's jersey and screaming at teammates. Later, he accused teammates of quitting and "flat-out not playing."

In August of 2008, he was pulled over after driving 120 mph in Avon at 2 a.m. with his passenger vomiting. Edwards only got a ticket after WOIO revealed the incident, and he blamed it on the station.

During the Texans game on Nov. 23, he approached safety Will Demps between plays about how to get into modeling and acting, according to Demps in ESPN The Magazine.

He ended his tenure in Cleveland by punching a member of LeBron's entourage—in October 2009, back when the people of Cleveland would always take LeBron's side—apparently out of jealousy for the King. Said LeBron, "I've never crossed paths with Braylon before, but it seems like there's a little jealousy going on with Braylon and me and my friends. I have no idea why."

And in 2010, Edwards' second year in New York, he was arrested for DWI despite Manhattan's many cabs, and a free-for-players car service the Jets had arranged. (Braylon pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge about a week ago.)

Edwards knows that athletes need to be careful in the age of the internet. Consider his Costas Now appearance, trapped in between the Editor Emeritus and Buzz Bissinger.

"Are we doing anything different than athletes did in the 60s and 70s? Not at all, we're doing the same things they did, but now you have internet, you have Deadspin, you have camera phones, it's crazy now, so we have to really watch ourselves." But he hasn't.

Lest you forget, this taxonomy of red flags doesn't include what might be his biggest: the drops. To wit, this highlight. Edwards led the league in drops in 2008. Even in his 16-touchdown 2007 season, Football Outsiders' stats said Edwards was only a fuzz above average. He's not terribly physical, and he doesn't catch over the middle.

Really, any one of very many reasons should prevent Edwards from getting significant money from any NFL team. Then again, there's always the Raiders.

LOL.

More egg in the face of the crybabies that crapped on our FO all weekend.

Yeah, unfortunately most of the article is BS. Holmes and Cotch had more drops last year and the statement, " He's not terribly physical, and he doesn't catch over the middle" is based on what exactly? He's a great blocker and has outleaped, outmuscled and steamriolled guys, (Carried two Pats probowlers into the endzone last year). We don't want him because he's an a$$hole. If the article stuck with that point there'd be nothing to disagree with. He's a good reciever, though, no matter how you spin it. If you can put up over 900 yds as a #2 with an under 60% cmp Sanchez while splitting touched with Holmes, Keller, Cotch, B. Smith and Ladanian, you're a good WR.

I still hope the Jets sign him. At a significantly reduced rate of course, but hes been effective and clutch for us barring a couple of doosies in 09. I still like him on the field

K. So which receivers do you cut from this list to make room for Braylon? How many receivers would you like to carry for our ground-and-pound offense? Please note that we only had 4 true receivers on the team last year and that proved to be plenty, particularly with Keller basically acting as a WR.

CURRENT WR'S:

Santonio Holmes

Plaxico Burress

Jerricho Cotchery

Jeremy Kerley

Scotty McKnight

Patrick Turner

UDFA's (4) - Campbell, Smith, Payne, DePalma

K. So which receivers do you cut from this list to make room for Braylon? How many receivers would you like to carry for our ground-and-pound offense? Please note that we only had 4 true receivers on the team last year and that proved to be plenty, particularly with Keller basically acting as a WR.

CURRENT WR'S:

Santonio Holmes

Plaxico Burress

Jerricho Cotchery

Jeremy Kerley

Scotty McKnight

Patrick Turner

UDFA's (4) - Campbell, Smith, Payne, DePalma

Jeremy Kerley on down (and any variation) will be fine for me

Analyrapedbob is at it again according to a tweet grim Brian Custer.

This is what Mr T wanted to do w/ Plax in 2009, but I don't think BE's pride will let him accept.RT @incarceratedbob: **UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: Once again this is not a done deal ( Jets & Edwards) he must be willing to play for small $$ + incentives

This guy hears the Jets freed up cap space and makes sh*t up what a waste of human life.

So dump a 2011 5th round pick and overpay a slightly faster Burress. I wish you were our GM, we'd be awesome.

First off, keep your personal shots to yourself. I'm really not interested.

As far as dumping a 5th rd pick for BE, yep. That's what I'm saying. I know that 5th rd picks are a pretty sure bet and all, but call me crazy. I'll take the proven guy who had 53 catches for 900 yds and 7 TD's for us last season. Give me a break. Everyone jumping on the braylon sucks bandwagon lately. he's proven! he was clutch for us LAST SEASON! It's not like we're talking about giving a guy 3 million a year who hasn't played in an NFL game since nov of 2008 or something here.

First off, keep your personal shots to yourself. I'm really not interested.

As far as dumping a 5th rd pick for BE, yep. That's what I'm saying. I know that 5th rd picks are a pretty sure bet and all, but call me crazy. I'll take the proven guy who had 53 catches for 900 yds and 7 TD's for us last season. Give me a break. Everyone jumping on the braylon sucks bandwagon lately. he's proven! he was clutch for us LAST SEASON! It's not like we're talking about giving a guy 3 million a year who hasn't played in an NFL game since nov of 2008 or something here.

The point is you're suggesting dropping a 5th rounder from THIS YEAR'S DRAFT. And while we paid Burress $3 million, we'd be paying Braylon about $8 million. For what will probably be about equal production.

So dump a 2011 5th round pick and overpay a slightly faster Burress. I wish you were our GM, we'd be awesome.

While I have no expectations of Edwards coming back and have completely moved on, while you're certainly not going to dump Kerley, I really don't think anyone should have an issue with them bringing back Edwards at the expense of Turner or any of the other nobody scrubs on the roster (which could very easily include McKnight as well). There's certainly plenty of room to make for him if they can bring him back on their terms. While the team may have went light on WR last year, they went heavy on positions like TE and FB that you likely aren't going to see that many players carried there again. I certainly don't expect it or count on it to happen, but if the Jets think they can pull it off on their terms, there's certainly plenty of room to be made.

While I have no expectations of Edwards coming back and have completely moved on, while you're certainly not going to dump Kerley, I really don't think anyone should have an issue with them bringing back Edwards at the expense of Turner or any of the other nobody scrubs on the roster (which could very easily include McKnight as well). There's certainly plenty of room to make for him if they can bring him back on their terms. While the team may have went light on WR last year, they went heavy on positions like TE and FB that you likely aren't going to see that many players carried there again. I certainly don't expect it or count on it to happen, but if the Jets think they can pull it off on their terms, there's certainly plenty of room to be made.

I think people are seriously underestimating what Burress is going to do for us. We may miss Braylon early on in the season, but by the 2nd half we'll have forgotten all about this.

I think people are seriously underestimating what Burress is going to do for us. We may miss Braylon early on in the season, but by the 2nd half we'll have forgotten all about this.

I hear what you're saying, and I think there's definitely the potential that Burress could be great for the Jets, but I also think that the Jets may feel that they have to cover their asses to an extent, because it's far from a guarantee. The guy hasn't played in over 2 years and is in his mid-30s on top of that. It's entirely possible he'll never be close to the same receiver he was. Not that it necessarily means the Jets need to run out and sign Braylon, but if he's available at the right price, and under terms that they feel comfortable with, it's certainly understandable from their perspective. As of right now, Burress is an unproven commodity and if the plans to trade away Cotchery are true, Burress not working out could be a complete disaster for this offense.

By Jack Dickey Aug 2, 2011 5:30 PM

Braylon Edwards Has The Kind Of Résumé No Free Agent Wide Receiver Would Want

Lest you forget, this taxonomy of red flags doesn't include what might be his biggest: the drops. To wit, this highlight. Edwards led the league in drops in 2008. Even in his 16-touchdown 2007 season, Football Outsiders' stats said Edwards was only a fuzz above average. He's not terribly physical, and he doesn't catch over the middle.

I think Jack spends too much time licking dickey and not enough time watching football games. WTF kinda fool would write the complete opposite of what we experienced with BE last year and expect to ever have any credibility?

If the high incentive offer is real - I hope like hell he takes it. We would be fat city - with all due respect to Rex ...

I think Jack spends too much time licking dickey and not enough time watching football games. WTF kinda fool would write the complete opposite of what we experienced with BE last year and expect to ever have any credibility?

If the high incentive offer is real - I hope like hell he takes it. We would be fat city - with all due respect to Rex ...

The NYJETS WR corps will be sick. No team can defend us 4 wide :o

Last week when they gave Braylon's # away to Plax I thought the door had slammed on him. I suspect he and the Jets did to.

Then Rex's presser happened. Rex called Cimini out on an article he had written. To paraphrase he said he had spoken to Braylon on Saturday and told him in spite of what was being said he wanted Braylon back. The only reason he wasn't was because of money. He called Cimini by name and said Maybe somebody in the building didn't like Edwards, he didn't know who it was, but it wasn't him.

Then Sunday happened with the fight which Edwards wasn't arrested for, but according to some disappearing tweets, he was involved. This a couple of days after he was in court. Don't know if his even drinking is a violation of his probation.

Whatever value he previously had just fell in a manhole. I think it's possible Rex reaches out to him, and gets a great deal on a high risk, high reward player. If Plax can play, that three wide out set would be very scary. Very tempting

Last week when they gave Braylon's # away to Plax I thought the door had slammed on him. I suspect he and the Jets did to.

Then Rex's presser happened. Rex called Cimini out on an article he had written. To paraphrase he said he had spoken to Braylon on Saturday and told him in spite of what was being said he wanted Braylon back. The only reason he wasn't was because of money. He called Cimini by name and said Maybe somebody in the building didn't like Edwards, he didn't know who it was, but it wasn't him.

Then Sunday happened with the fight which Edwards wasn't arrested for, but according to some disappearing tweets, he was involved. This a couple of days after he was in court. Don't know if his even drinking is a violation of his probation.

Whatever value he previously had just fell in a manhole. I think it's possible Rex reaches out to him, and gets a great deal on a high risk, high reward player. If Plax can play, that three wide out set would be very scary. Very tempting

:D

The point is you're suggesting dropping a 5th rounder from THIS YEAR'S DRAFT. And while we paid Burress $3 million, we'd be paying Braylon about $8 million. For what will probably be about equal production.

And???? You asked me a question. I answered you. I agree that it's unlikely that we are going to get rid of a drafted player from this years draft, but to even insinuate that anyone on your list is going to give us the kind of production that Edwards did and can is unlikely at best. Add to that the fact that Burress is a 34 year old unknown considering his situation and Cotch is coming off of surgery and right now is on the PUP list isn't good. I understand every single point you're trying to make. They just don't hold water if Edwards can be had for the right price. I don't care what that article says. Screw Kerley, Mcnight. amd patrick turner.

We might just regret not having edwards If burress blows and all the kids we have can't get open.

The bar fight actually happened last Monday the day before teams were allowed to talk to FA's and 2 days before his court date I would suspect teams were aware of it and that's why no contract offer from anyone.

Archived