What is our cap situation?

SteveNap

I'm not sure of what we have left as far as cap room (maybe someone can shed some light on this), but if we supposedly save money on this year's cap with the Holmes and Harris contracts and we're not paying Cotchery, why are we only offering veteran minimums to Ellis and Mason? They are offering one-year deals so it won't kill us to fork over a little more money if we're under the 2011-12 cap. Is Tannenbaum saving money for a big splash (i.e., a trade for Osi) or what?

Yes it's a funny situation, I'm not sure what's going on, you'd think with the F.O clearing that much space there is going to be signings.

I can't See why they Cut Cotch (all be it he wanted to go) and Restructure LT e.tc. Just to give Woody another 11 Million in his pocket?

Rex did intermate to some thing in his Presser, 8/5 Right off the bat said "Not much to talk about I guess, but i have somthing to talk about but i'll save it"

I still think we have some moves planned, and It would not suprise me it they where working on Moss, trying to get him out of retirement, or perhaps a Trade involving Picks.

This is Rex and Tanny, not Mangina and Bradyway they are always scheming.

Leaves alot to be desired.

Dont think that we dont know the status of some players that are on the bubble with other teams, GM's do talk to one another especially ones that have good relations with one another. Similar to what we had with cleveland when the mangini crew was there. I dont think we will let 10 MIL just waste away. If the coaches are happy with what we currently have its not a bad insurance policy to have some money available if someone gets hurt or if we need to plug some holes. Just be patient.

Restructuring does not put money in Woody's pocket. It changes when he has to pay it. Pay cuts put money in his pocket. Are all those Aso restructurings done deals? I would be pissed if I redid my team to be team friendly and then instead of using it for Aso they signed some other scrub. Remember that they can accellerate some money so that it counts against this year's cap and not next year's. They have done that in the past. They may hold the money in case a good player becomes available and if not try to use the majority of the money for next year.

on jasons page he admits his estimate is more or less a guess, and I think he is missing the hunter contract all together in his numbers, so I think the jets are closer than we think to the cap

That is what I figured as well. (Not about the Hunter thing, but overall, it sure seemed like we were closer to the cap given the relative inactivity...)

That is what I figured as well. (Not about the Hunter thing, but overall, it sure seemed like we were closer to the cap given the relative inactivity...)

I think I also read on his page that sanchez never got done, he just said he was open to it. I could be wrong about that. I think they will try to get ellis and diggs in here, and then make sure they have room down the line to jump on a cut like with pryce last season, and just for normal operating during the season as guys go down

on jasons page he admits his estimate is more or less a guess, and I think he is missing the hunter contract all together in his numbers, so I think the jets are closer than we think to the cap

Though not updated on the page (and it will still take me a few days to get caught up with everything) I now have some pretty solid details for the new signings. Assuming the Jets do take the 3M exemption they should have right around 10.7M in cap space. That does not include Derrick Mason, though I assume his cap charge will only be a subtraction of 100K from that number since the Jets will sign him for the vets minimum. The only thing that would make it less is if the reported renegotiations were not as much as reported (1M for both Pace and Scott, 1.5M for LT).

I wrote something about it the other day, but I think they were either holding space for Edwards or preparing to front Sanchez money to help reduce his 2012 hit. Seeing how Edwards signed for nothing I was probably way off on that one, but the Sanchez thing makes sense. I cant really see what else they could do at this point expect carrying money forward.

Though not updated on the page (and it will still take me a few days to get caught up with everything) I now have some pretty solid details for the new signings. Assuming the Jets do take the 3M exemption they should have right around 10.7M in cap space. That does not include Derrick Mason, though I assume his cap charge will only be a subtraction of 100K from that number since the Jets will sign him for the vets minimum. The only thing that would make it less is if the reported renegotiations were not as much as reported (1M for both Pace and Scott, 1.5M for LT).

I wrote something about it the other day, but I think they were either holding space for Edwards or preparing to front Sanchez money to help reduce his 2012 hit. Seeing how Edwards signed for nothing I was probably way off on that one, but the Sanchez thing makes sense. I cant really see what else they could do at this point expect carrying money forward.

So you think they are done with signings for this year and will front Sanchez money to make the cap situation better in 2012?

So you think they are done with signings for this year and will front Sanchez money to make the cap situation better in 2012?

I would guess so. I mean who is really left out there to sign? Free agency is basically done. I guess they could try to carry money over to next season (I havent seen the new CBA so I dont know if this is or is not an option) to essentially start accruing extra space that they wont use until the spending limits kick in within a few years.

I was looking at the 2012 Free Agents and I think it may be best for us to use our cap room to go after Mario Williams (depending on how he does at OLB this year). Bryan Thomas will be coming off the books and Williams may be a better option than drafting a pass rusher in the first round, which is usally a two-year project at least.

I think I also read on his page that sanchez never got done, he just said he was open to it. I could be wrong about that. I think they will try to get ellis and diggs in here, and then make sure they have room down the line to jump on a cut like with pryce last season, and just for normal operating during the season as guys go down

Sanchez never restructured. That's why he's been able to practice with the team this past week.

please don't take it as a knock, your page is awesome. I read your edwards value analysis, and I agreed with most of it. How could he have signed for the reported 1 mm with zero guaranteed ? was it a musical chairs scenario and he just waited too long and the money ran out, or do you think teams may know somethng we don't ? (failed drug test, rumors more trouble with the police, etc) because I can't think of a good explanation how you go from a 6 - 8 mm player to a 1mm player

please don't take it as a knock, your page is awesome. I read your edwards value analysis, and I agreed with most of it. How could he have signed for the reported 1 mm with zero guaranteed ? was it a musical chairs scenario and he just waited too long and the money ran out, or do you think teams may know somethng we don't ? (failed drug test, rumors more trouble with the police, etc) because I can't think of a good explanation how you go from a 6 - 8 mm player to a 1mm player

Im not really sure. I guess we should wait and see if the reports are actually correct since things are not always reported right. I do think Edwards priced himself out of the market at the start of free agency which caused some landing spots to find other options. If I had to take a wild guess at what really may have happened is that Edwards wont settle for a longer term contract under a certain dollar figure and no teams in the league wanted to give him a 1 year deal other than San Francisco. So his options were probably 1 year from the 49ers, in what might be a pass happy offense, and take a chance at free agency in 2012 or 3 years for 13-15M from teams like the Vikings or Cardinals which will pretty much keep him from ever having a chance at a big payday. Even if the CBA is far stronger anti-player for personal conduct, no matter how bad Edwards has been hes still better than alot of other guys in the NFL that get decent deals.

Archived