Kevin O'Connell Talks About Sanchez

b&bjetsfan

Glad people keep coming out to support him but it honestly doesn't matter. Everything will calm down and he will have to come out next year and prove that he can handle this team and handle this city. I have faith that he can and the change at OC will help. Sparano will get this kids head on straight and hopefully undo any damage Schotty has done. Plus sparano has already talked about 2 big issues, deep passes and protection. Looking forward to new start next year.

Does Sanchez go home and study the playbook? Havent seen anybody claim that.

His work ethic may be good at Florham park, but what's doing outside of those hours?

Living life I would presume..do you take your job home with you EVERYDAY?

Often, its called school.

BTW if Sanchez is not working while at home/outside Florham Park then the Jets have a problem.

so you r saying he is not allowed a private life? If the guy is 1st in, last out of Florham Park, I think he is allowed to go home and relax.And school doesn't count, you don't get paid fpr that YET

so you r saying he is not allowed a private life? If the guy is 1st in, last out of Florham Park, I think he is allowed to go home and relax.And school doesn't count, you don't get paid fpr that YET

K buddy. Pretty sure every elite QB does work outside of team facilities.

Wouldn't you guys actually prefer that Sanchez was lazy this year? That the root of his problems was a lack of focus and effort--stuff that can be fixed with a dose of maturity?

Nope, because It's no guarantee that someone will mature. I believe the problem has been/is about to be solved. Being Schottenheimers offensive design and Plax + Holmes

Wouldn't you guys actually prefer that Sanchez was lazy this year? That the root of his problems was a lack of focus and effort--stuff that can be fixed with a dose of maturity?

"You guys" Does that take the sting off a disappointing season and remove you from the rest of Jets fans.

Actually yes a easily fixable item would be idea but "You and your Guys" seem to change the scenario everytime evidence against something you have previously stated about Sanchez as being fact is dismissed by a source who actually puts his name to it.

IMO his issues were locker room cancers, OL play taking a huge step back followed by his own play going down hill. The fact that it is claimed he was injured since the Denver game didn't help either.

He gets 8 weeks next year to show something assuming Tanny and Rex fix the other issues with the offense.

"You guys" Does that take the sting off a disappointing season and remove you from the rest of Jets fans.

Actually yes a easily fixable item would be idea but "You and your Guys" seem to change the scenario everytime evidence against something you have previously stated about Sanchez as being fact is dismissed by a source who actually puts his name to it.

IMO his issues were locker room cancers, OL play taking a huge step back followed by his own play going down hill. The fact that it is claimed he was injured since the Denver game didn't help either.

He gets 8 weeks next year to show something assuming Tanny and Rex fix the other issues with the offense.

Whoa, buddy. I meant "you guys" that think Sanchez is reclaimable.

Whoa, buddy. I meant "you guys" that think Sanchez is reclaimable.

I know what you meant. I think you feel he is as well or at least deserves a shot which is all I am saying in light of all the circumstances that coincided with his horrific play this year.

I am not of the opinion that the team dragged him to the AFC title game in 2010. He played too well for that statement. I do feel however that if things are corrected in the locker room, on the OL and with the play calling then he has a short window to prove that his year was due to circumstances other than just him.

IMO, it's confidence. Can't tie your shoes without confidence.

I agree, but confidence can be regained. Confidence is lost when you feel like you aren't able to succeed at something. I'll remind you why he was in a situation to fail. The offense did not utilise his strenghts of a vertical passing game. It was too much dink and dunk, almost as if the offense was designed to be like New Englands. The recievers also did not do him any favors, more than likely they were constantly chirping at him. As the season went on I saw Sanchez shy away from an open Plaxico. From what I saw and can gather, Plaxico did not put the work in or the effort to get every pass or learn the offense (remember pick 6 Denver). He didn't trust his recievers.

Say what you want about Sanchez, but look at all the good QB's in the NFL, the offense's they run play to what they do well, they don't have OC's who have an agenda outside of winning a Super Bowl.

I know what you meant. I think you feel he is as well or at least deserves a shot which is all I am saying in light of all the circumstances that coincided with his horrific play this year.

I am not of the opinion that the team dragged him to the AFC title game in 2010. He played too well for that statement. I do feel however that if things are corrected in the locker room, on the OL and with the play calling then he has a short window to prove that his year was due to circumstances other than just him.

I think I'm in that same boat. I'm hopeful. I like Mark and think he has some talent, but I think where we differ is in having enough faith in the organization to make the changes necessary to salvage Sanchez. Rex's ego and image don't allow time for patience, Sparano is here to rehabilitate his career, and Tannenbaum won't be able to dump his prize pig in Holmes to clear the locker room of cancers.

I've said many times that Sanchez can be Rich Gannon down the line when he matures and hooks up with a program that will play to his strengths. But, IMO, that will happen three, four, five years from now. No way Rex and Tannenbaum survive that span, nor do I think either is inclined to risk their jobs waiting for it to happen. It's a perfect storm of screwed for Mark right now.

I agree, but confidence can be regained. Confidence is lost when you feel like you aren't able to succeed at something. I'll remind you why he was in a situation to fail. The offense did not utilise his strenghts of a vertical passing game. It was too much dink and dunk, almost as if the offense was designed to be like New Englands. The recievers also did not do him any favors, more than likely they were constantly chirping at him. As the season went on I saw Sanchez shy away from an open Plaxico. From what I saw and can gather, Plaxico did not put the work in or the effort to get every pass or learn the offense (remember pick 6 Denver). He didn't trust his recievers.

Say what you want about Sanchez, but look at all the good QB's in the NFL, the offense's they run play to what they do well, they don't have OC's who have an agenda outside of winning a Super Bowl.

I agree with this too, in part. Tannenbaum did Sanchez no favors by sticking him with Plaxico (on a one-year deal), Holmes (with a guaranteed deal) and Mason. Those three are historically cancerous in locker rooms, especially to quarterbacks. However, Mark has to take responsibility for going into a shell when the going got tough. I would have so much more hope for him now if, in Week Six, Sanchez broke his hand beating the sh*t out of Santonio in practice. That he didn't respond well to their criticism, and that he shrank when the going got tough down the stretch, are huge, huge red flags for me. That Miami game was a quit job by Sanchez, when the whole season was on the line. I don't know if he can recover from that.

I agree with this too, in part. Tannenbaum did Sanchez no favors by sticking him with Plaxico (on a one-year deal), Holmes (with a guaranteed deal) and Mason. Those three are historically cancerous in locker rooms, especially to quarterbacks. However, Mark has to take responsibility for going into a shell when the going got tough. I would have so much more hope for him now if, in Week Six, Sanchez broke his hand beating the sh*t out of Santonio in practice. That he didn't respond well to their criticism, and that he shrank when the going got tough down the stretch, are huge, huge red flags for me. That Miami game was a quit job by Sanchez, when the whole season was on the line. I don't know if he can recover from that.

I would agree that he may not recover if Schotty was still the OC and if Plax were to return. I think a lot of that will change. I beleieve Sparano will make that his first priority; get Mark into a rythym. I would hope that they bring back Braylon. It seems like a win win for both parties. Then find another deep threat in the draft like a Jarius Wright from Arkansas or T.Y. Hilton from Fla. Intl.

This draft seemslike you might get some decent recievers in the later rounds

Glad people keep coming out to support him but it honestly doesn't matter. Everything will calm down and he will have to come out next year and prove that he can handle this team and handle this city. I have faith that he can and the change at OC will help. Sparano will get this kids head on straight and hopefully undo any damage Schotty has done. Plus sparano has already talked about 2 big issues, deep passes and protection. Looking forward to new start next year.

% of deep passes attempted (receiver is 15+ yards past the LOS) in 2011 (link):

27.6% Eli Manning

23.7% Ben Roethlisberger

22.9% Aaron Rodgers

20.5% Mark Sanchez

20.1% Matt Ryan

19.3% Tony Romo

18.8% Matt Stafford

18.1% Tom Brady

17.6% Drew Brees

16.8% Alex Smith

Sure. That's the reason Sanchez and the offense in general weren't successful.

I'm all for moving on from Schottenheimer, as he leaves a lot to be desired in playcalling (not to mention how long it takes him to get the friggin' play in to his QB when time is a factor), but I think a lot of Sanchez's shortcomings were just baselessly blamed on him.

More deep passes? Our QB telegraphs every pass as it is. The way to combat that is to do quick timing patterns so a safety doesn't have 2 full seconds to change where he's going before the ball is thrown. Sanchez does not see safeties. Sanchez doesn't see anyone who isn't manning-up on his receiver for that matter. Changing play calls, sadly, isn't going to change that.

Archived