•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Joel Hanrahan dealt to Red Sox

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN by way of New England

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Sox have their closer. And a developing 2B.

http://espn.go.com/b...ix-player-trade
Eagle Honors
"Our two most painful Patriots' losses ever, are sandwiched between two Manning family Superbowl victories. Talk about being the book of squandered opportunities between two butt hole bookends."
"I just wish they didn't get lucky when they selected that arrogant cleft-chinned, super-modeling banging prick in the sixth round out of Michigan. It's amazing how much I hate Mo Lewis now."

#2 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,629 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

The bullpen is loaded. If the starters can get their acts together they'll have a shot at a wild card.

#3 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

It could not be any worse.
Eagle Honors
"Our two most painful Patriots' losses ever, are sandwiched between two Manning family Superbowl victories. Talk about being the book of squandered opportunities between two butt hole bookends."
"I just wish they didn't get lucky when they selected that arrogant cleft-chinned, super-modeling banging prick in the sixth round out of Michigan. It's amazing how much I hate Mo Lewis now."

#4 WWWWombat

WWWWombat

WWWWWWW banned

• Members
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Absolut Steal
Posted Image

Roberts is going, Posada throws, he is SAFE!

#5 Bob

Bob

Retired Short-season Single-A Baseball Player

• Members
  • 13,268 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Good move for the Sox. Not enough to contend this year, but a good step for the future.
Bob the Jets Fan™ Posted Image
I want zombie Ronald Reagan to eat Donald Trump and sh*t out a bunch of little Palins.

#6 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,561 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

great move (as i think Melancon is a dud)
The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/

#7 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Good move. One that can help both teams. Melancon had a good finish to the season, but there was no way he could come back. Fresh start in Pitt should help.
 photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#8 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,257 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Sox have their closer. And a developing 2B.

http://espn.go.com/b...ix-player-trade

The bullpen is very solid. Now they just need to actually SIGN Napoli for 1st base and they're done unless they can add another starter on the cheap. .
Summiting is optional - getting down is mandatory (Ed Viesturs) LA LAKERS - 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS
ALABAMA . 15 time NATIONAL CHAMPIONS . ROLL TIDE !!

#9 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,257 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

great move (as i think Melancon is a dud)

I think Melancon will surprise you in Pittsburgh. He pitched very well in September but by then Bobby only used him in mop up situations.
Summiting is optional - getting down is mandatory (Ed Viesturs) LA LAKERS - 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

#10 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I think Melancon will surprise you in Pittsburgh. He pitched very well in September but by then Bobby only used him in mop up situations.

Everyone looks good in the NL. AJ looked productive. ;)
Eagle Honors

#11 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,561 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

if i were a Pirate fan (we have one on here...can't remember who though) I'd be glad my team at least is competitive in adding arms like Liriano but they should NOT have traded their closer. Kick in the balls to the fans type of move.
The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/

#12 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,629 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

if i were a Pirate fan (we have one on here...can't remember who though) I'd be glad my team at least is competitive in adding arms like Liriano but they should NOT have traded their closer. Kick in the balls to the fans type of move.

Yeah. Way to get Melancon who has closed before and is under team control for a few years and some decent prospects who are under team control for a guy who would be a free agent and leave next season anyway. Jerks.

#13 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,561 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yeah. Way to get Melancon who has closed before and is under team control for a few years and some decent prospects who are under team control for a guy who would be a free agent and leave next season anyway. Jerks.

You know how I feel about Melancon. dude is hot garbage and I do not consider that a fair trade if i'm the Pirates GM

And you can wait until the trade deadline to deal Hanrahan for probably better from a team that really wants to make the playoffs who has a bad closer.

But yes, you were right in calling them jerks :D

#14 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yeah the Bucs have done just that for years. It's always about $$ with that small market team. I work with 3 Pirate fans and they are NOT happy about this trade. It's got to be real tough to be a Pirate fan. Just getting to .500 is a big deal for them.

#15 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

You know how I feel about Melancon. dude is hot garbage and I do not consider that a fair trade if i'm the Pirates GM

And you can wait until the trade deadline to deal Hanrahan for probably better from a team that really wants to make the playoffs who has a bad closer.

But yes, you were right in calling them jerks :biggrin:

Sands is a decent prospect. I can see him starting in Pittsburgh.

#16 Sharrow

Sharrow

Member not found

• Members
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Like it or not, any smart Pirate fan knew this was coming a long time ago. Small market teams can't afford to pay their closers $7 million.
Posted Image
The Big Tebowski

#17 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Like it or not, any smart Pirate fan knew this was coming a long time ago. Small market teams can't afford to pay their closers $7 million.

Then why is a team like KC picking up arms left and right? Or Toronto going on a spending spree? That is a serious question.

I know MLB has a new TV deal that will kick in 2014 I believe. Maybe the Royals and Jays are spending on future earning, which is a nice change.

The Pirates have a new stadium and a halfway decent team. Spend a couple of bucks to win 3 more games.
Eagle Honors

#18 WWWWombat

WWWWombat

WWWWWWW banned

• Members
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Then why is a team like KC picking up arms left and right? Or Toronto going on a spending spree? That is a serious question.

I know MLB has a new TV deal that will kick in 2014 I believe. Maybe the Royals and Jays are spending on future earning, which is a nice change.

The Pirates have a new stadium and a halfway decent team. Spend a couple of bucks to win 3 more games.

Because KC is dumb. Remember when they signed Reggie Sanders to a megadeal? Yeah.
Posted Image

#19 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Because KC is dumb. Remember when they signed Reggie Sanders to a megadeal? Yeah.

Maybe so, but if they want to change the culture...they need to over spend.
Eagle Honors

#20 Sharrow

Sharrow

Member not found

• Members
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Toronto isn't a small market. And using KC as an example only proves my point. They aren't doing anything the Pirates aren't/haven't. They aren't paying any bullpen arms $7 million. If they had spent $7 million on a closer, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay all those starting pitchers. Just like if the Pirates had spent $7 million on Hanrahan, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay Martin and Liriano. Who is KC's highest paid relief pitcher?

Edited by Sharrow, 07 January 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image
The Big Tebowski

#21 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,360 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Toronto isn't a small market. And using KC as an example only proves my point. They aren't doing anything the Pirates aren't/haven't. They aren't paying any bullpen arms $7 million. If they had spent $7 million on a closer, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay all those starting pitchers. Just like if the Pirates had spent $7 million on Hanrahan, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay Martin and Liriano. Who is KC's highest paid relief pitcher?

The Jays might not be a small market, but they are not a large market like Boston, NY, and Chicago.

What exactly would you the Jays are doing? Buying arms and hoping their closer continues his resurgence.
Eagle Honors

#22 WWWWombat

WWWWombat

WWWWWWW banned

• Members
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users