Smith Healthy, But Struggles at Practice

flgreen

Geno looks healthier, but struggles at Jets practice

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 3:55 PM, August 19, 2013

Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith was moving better at practice Monday than he was last week but still had a rough outing.

Smith’s sprained right ankle appears to be improving greatly, but the rookie went 1-for-6 during team drills in practice with an interception, another near interception and a sack. He did throw two nice deep balls that wide receiver Stephen Hill failed to secure, but probably should have.

Mark Sanchez was not overwhelming, but he was better than Smith. He completed 7-of-10 passes, was sacked once and fumbled a shotgun snap. Sanchez worked with the second team.

Smith’s interception came on a terrible decision. He tried to hit Hill in the middle of the field, but never saw linebacker Demario Davis, who intercepted the ball and took off running. Three plays later, safety Antonio Allen nearly intercepted Smith, but bobbled the ball away.

This figures to be the final week of the Jets quarterback competition with every snap gaining importance.

QUICK HITS

• It’s fun to watch offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg teach. He clearly loves that element of the job. Some coordinators are hands off during positional periods, but Mornhinweg is all over the field. On Monday, he grabbed rookie wide receiver Ryan Spadola and worked with him on coming out of his break. He then ran over to the quarterbacks to work with them. Mornhinweg was a nice hire by the Jets.

• OLB Garrett McIntyre, who started in place of the injured Quinton Coples, sacked Smith.

• Backup RB Kahlil Bell saw a lot of action in the game and continues to get a lot of carries in practice. He showed some nice cutting ability.

• OLB Ricky Sapp sacked Sanchez.

• Hill gets a lot of criticism for his drops. My bigger problem with Hill is he does not seem to make plays to help his quarterback. In the game on Saturday, Sanchez threw a pass that was not a perfect throw but Hill still should have grabbed it. In practice Monday, Smith threw two nice deep balls to Hill, but he did not catch either one. Both were somewhat challenging catches, but he’s got to make some of these.

• OLB Troy Davis made a nice play on a pitch play to Bell, stopping it cold.

• The Jets went live on a fourth-and-1 and gave the ball to Chris Ivory, who plowed his way through the line for a first down.

• WR Zach Rogers had a bad drop that was cancelled out by a holding call on the line.

• Rookie tackle Oday Aboushi had a false start. He’s had a lot of penalties in camp. He appears to be a bit of a project.

• DT Lanier Coleman recovered Sanchez’s fumble.

INJURY REPORT: NT Kenrick Ellis (back) was not on the field. Coples (ankle) was not out there either. TE Kellen Winslow and WR Braylon Edwards did not practice, as part of their normal rest plan. LB Josh Mauga (back) and C Dalton Freeman (ankle) worked with the trainers. WR Santonio Holmes (foot) did not do much while reporters were watching after running extensively before Saturday’s game. RB Joe McKnight (head) practiced wearing a red no-contact jersey. P Robert Malone (back) returned to practice.

Read more: Geno looks healthier, but struggles at Jets practice http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/geno_looks_healthier_but_struggles_XVUZZnP83VeqxylRZI5oNK#ixzz2cS1vBaJD

• Hill gets a lot of criticism for his drops. My bigger problem with Hill is he does not seem to make plays to help his quarterback. In the game on Saturday, Sanchez threw a pass that was not a perfect throw but Hill still should have grabbed it. In practice Monday, Smith threw two nice deep balls to Hill, but he did not catch either one. Both were somewhat challenging catches, but he’s got to make some of these.

Which is interesting because his scouting report was that all he did was make circus catches down field in college. 

TE Kellen Winslow and WR Braylon Edwards did not practice, as part of their normal rest plan. 

?  

was I dreaming that winslows knee exploded ?  or was that keller ?

I'm so confused

That was Keller. He should have stayed with the Jets and he wouldn't have blown out his knee.

Which is interesting because his scouting report was that all he did was make circus catches down field in college. 

Didn't Hill play in a triple option offense at Georgia Tech?  My sense is that he didn't get many chances to make a whole lot of catches in that scheme,and that he was always viewed as a project for year(s) 1 and possibly 2.  I still think he will be a good one, but I agree with the other poster that he remains an unrefined receiver.  I expect some decent games out of him this year though.  In many ways, he was a classic Clinkscales draft choice.... Great athletic ability, lots of potential, with a real possibility of amounting to nothing.

Didn't Hill play in a triple option offense at Georgia Tech?  My sense is that he didn't get many chances to make a whole lot of catches in that scheme,and that he was always viewed as a project for year(s) 1 and possibly 2.  I still think he will be a good one, but I agree with the other poster that he remains an unrefined receiver.  I expect some decent games out of him this year though.  In many ways, he was a classic Clinkscales draft choice.... Great athletic ability, lots of potential, with a real possibility of amounting to nothing.

Yes, he did come out of the triple option but his scouting report was all about him making circus catches.

He caught a whopping 28 passes his senior year.  lmfao.  And the Jets took him in the 2nd round.  But it was at 29.3 a clip.  

Elite speed, big guy, big plays down field, circus catches, down field blocker - that was his scouting report.  Basically, Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas all over again.  :rolleyes:

Yes, he did come out of the triple option but his scouting report was all about him making circus catches.

He caught a whopping 28 passes his senior year.  lmfao.  And the Jets took him in the 2nd round.  But it was at 29.3 a clip.  

Elite speed, big guy, big plays down field, circus catches, down field blocker - that was his scouting report.  Basically, Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas all over again.   :rolleyes:

LOL

C'mon JiF nobody said he was Calvin Johnson (maybe hoped)

Most folks knew what he was.  As you said

"Elite speed, big guy, big plays down field, circus catches, down field blocker"    His scouting report also said as much as he had a penchant for making circus catches, he would just as quickly drop a sure TD wide open.  He was from an alien offense, as far as the NFL is concerned.  If the Jets had taken him in the first I would have howled.  They didn't.

Like Smith, because he was taken in the second, he was good value for the position, and "potential" skill level .  If either of them hit.

GREAT

If not the Jets have blown 2nd rounder's on worst players

Hill still looks goofy running routes. The drop he had Saturday he was basically falling over himself.

He looks very goofy.  Doesnt look like a Football player at all. 

LOL

C'mon JiF nobody said he was Calvin Johnson (maybe hoped)

Most folks knew what he was.  As you said

"Elite speed, big guy, big plays down field, circus catches, down field blocker"    His scouting report also said as much as he had a penchant for making circus catches, he would just as quickly drop a sure TD wide open.  He was from an alien offense, as far as the NFL is concerned.  If the Jets had taken him in the first I would have howled.  They didn't.

Like Smith, because he was taken in the second, he was good value for the position, and "potential" skill level .  If either of them hit.

GREAT

If not the Jets have blown 2nd rounder's on worst players

Yeah but they traded picks away for Hill when they could have stayed put with some serious talent on the board. 

The beauty of the Geno pick was that he was mentioned in the top 5 and they stayed put in the 2nd and he fell to them. 

And there were definitely people dropping the former GT players coming out of the same system in support of the pick. Clinkscales compared him to Calvin outright.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7864443/2012-nfl-draft-new-york-jets-trade-draft-stephen-hill

Elite speed, big guy, big plays down field, circus catches, down field blocker - that was his scouting report.  Basically, Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas all over again.   :rolleyes:

I believe that also in his scouting report was that he dropped a lot of passes and had questionable hands.

Here's the key quote from that article:

Mark Sanchez was not overwhelming, but he was better than Smith.

Is this really what the competition at Qb comes down to?  Sanchez is the default setting?

Given Smith injuring himself, being a rookie, apparently struggling to learn the O, and not playing better than MS, I don't see them starting him against TB (so when?) unless he has a monster game against the midgets.

Could be a long season.

As for Hill, he does not inspire confidence.  The sooner Holmes comes back the better.

Archived