•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The QB eye test

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#26 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationA land far, far away

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

For a rookie QB, isn't the eye test - has a strong arm and throws a nice spiral?  If he does that and has pocket presence and looks comfortable he usually isn't a rookie in his first start. 

I disagree. There a million guys who have a strong arm and throw a nice spiral. They are not all NFL QB's. There is a certain look to an NFL QB, the way they drop back, the way they survey the field, the way they deliver the ball, the way they act, I did not see that from Geno. I could be dead wrong, and hope I am, but that is just what I observed.

#27 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Like what? I agree with JiF, he looked comfortable to me but was trying to make absolutely sure he was passing to an open guy. That was his biggest downfall and that is certainly correctable.

I don't care about the staring down receivers, that does not bother me from him at all this early on. The best way I can explain it is he looks like an athlete trying to play QB, rather than a QB playing QB.

#28 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,130 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

I had no problem with his poise, nor his mistakes or the results at all. All I am saying is when I watch him play the QB position, he does not look like a good QB to me. The way he moves in the pocket, the way he looks down field, the way he delivers the ball, it does not look like a natural QB to me. He throws a nice ball for sure, and he did look poised, but the best way I can put it is he did not look at all like a natural QB. Almost like a really good athlete playing QB. Even Vick who I hate as a QB looks much more natural at the QB position to me, and I don't think he is awful as a QB, almost Sanchez awful.

Interesting.  I love how he delivers the ball.  Its my favorite aspect of his game.  He's got the classic over the top behind the ear release and ball comes out spinning very pretty.

And FWIW, you're working on a very small sample size which happened to be his first NFL action.  Perspective, my friend, perspective.  

Posted Image

#29 sh4dy15

sh4dy15

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't care about the staring down receivers, that does not bother me from him at all this early on. The best way I can explain it is he looks like an athlete trying to play QB, rather than a QB playing QB.

That's a pretty general critique dude. I'm not sure where you get that from but I guess we will see. He looked like a QB to me. Moved well in pocket, escaped pressure good (except for running out the back of the endzone, another rookie mistake).

#30 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I posted that sanchez stares down receivers, feels pressure that isn't there, has no instincts and can't extend plays.

someone who watched geno a lot said geno is the same player

thats kinda what I saw sat night

kinda scary

Ughhh, yeah I kinda felt the same way after watching him on Saturday night. I wanted the Jets to draft him - but I did not watch a ton of him in college. To me he looked like a shorter Sanchez. Geno didn't pout though so that was a good sign. lol His pocket awareness was really, really bad. On the overthrow INT he stepped right into the blitz, and obviously the safety was bad too.

I agree with Bit, Richardson otoh looks like a beast. Matt Simms would be an example of someone who passes the eye test, just not sure if he will be good against better competition.

#31 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

For a rookie QB, isn't the eye test - has a strong arm and throws a nice spiral?  If he does that and has pocket presence and looks comfortable he usually isn't a rookie in his first start. 

Idk bro. I thought Tannehill passed the eye test for me. He is going to be a great QB. Once they get on that NFL field, you can kind of just tell which ones are naturals and which ones are not. Most of the time this is correct, not 100% - but most times.

Edited by RSJ, 26 August 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#32 sh4dy15

sh4dy15

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ughhh, yeah I kinda felt the same way after watching him on Saturday night. I wanted the Jets to draft him - but I did not watch a ton of him in college. To me he looked like a shorter Sanchez. Geno didn't pout though so that was a good sign. lol His pocket awareness was really, really bad. On the overthrow INT he stepped right into the blitz, and obviously the safety was bad too.

I agree with Bit, Richardson otoh looks like a beast. Matt Simms would be an example of someone who passes the eye test, just not sure if he will be good against better competition.

Outside of the safety, I really just don't see this at all. He escaped the pocket a few times and looked real good doing it. He throws decent on the run as well. I'm surprised by what others saw.

I see a lot of potential in him too. Hopefully he gets another chance soon and gets it together.

#33 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 23,019 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

interesting how differently fans see the game. I saw a very comfortable confident player. He didnt look like the moment was too big for him. Didnt get rattled by the mistakes. Clearly, there were some things you'd like to see different but he's a rookie playing in his first ever NFL action, if you were expecting a spotless performance than you were fooling yourself.

I saw a pretty raw QB with a ton of promise.

He ran out of the back of the end zone.

#34 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Interesting.  I love how he delivers the ball.  Its my favorite aspect of his game.  He's got the classic over the top behind the ear release and ball comes out spinning very pretty.

And FWIW, you're working on a very small sample size which happened to be his first NFL action.  Perspective, my friend, perspective.  

Of course it is a tiny sample, completely agree. He throws a nice ball, I don't dispute that at all.

#35 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 23,019 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Of course it is a tiny sample, completely agree. He throws a nice ball, I don't dispute that at all.

Once the ball leaves his hand it looks nice. It just takes to long for it too happen.

Edited by Matt39, 26 August 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#36 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Idk bro. I thought Tannehill passed the eye test for me. He is going to be a great QB. Once they get on that NFL field, you can kind of just tell which ones are naturals and which ones are not. Most of the time this is correct, not 100% - but most times.

Agree, this is how I see it. There are maybe 10-15 real NFL QB's on the planet, in there prime, at any one point in time. You can usually spot by watching them play even for a little while whether or not they can possibly be one of those guys, but it's not anywhere close to an exact science.

#37 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Once the ball leaves his hand it looks nice. It just takes to long for it to happen.

Agree, perhaps that is what bothers me.

#38 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,130 posts

Outside of the safety, I really just don't see this at all. He escaped the pocket a few times and looked real good doing it. He throws decent on the run as well. I'm surprised by what others saw.

I see a lot of potential in him too. Hopefully he gets another chance soon and gets it together.

Agreed.  Threw the ball well on the run, navigated the pocket for something throwing lanes, had a couple of balls that were brilliantly placed.  I'm with you my man, I saw some promise and I was dead set against him in the draft.  I liked where we got him but didnt think he'd pan out.  Now, I think he's got a shot at being a pretty solid player. 

Posted Image

#39 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

That does not bother me at all, not in that game given his very limited experience.

#40 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 23,019 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

That does not bother me at all, not in that game given his very limited experience.

That's not even a rookie mistake.

#41 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Agreed.  Threw the ball well on the run, navigated the pocket for something throwing lanes, had a couple of balls that were brilliantly placed.  I'm with you my man, I saw some promise and I was dead set against him in the draft.  I liked where we got him but didnt think he'd pan out.  Now, I think he's got a shot at being a pretty solid player. 

I am the complete opposite, i was hoping we would drat him at 9, 13 and was stuck to my chair when we got him in the 2nd round. After watching him in a very limited sample, I am a whole lot less excited by him.

#42 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I mean I could be wrong - but most, if not all of his throws were check downs or underneath routes. Just to go through the picks. The one was behind the WR. That is not an inexperience problem, that is an accuracy problem and a throw that needs to happen. The one INT to Tuck and the one to the Safety happen to Vet QB's too. The safety in the back of the end zone was Brooks Bollinger/Mark Sanchez bad. All in all, no impressive throws on the night, and he looks short in the pocket without the ability to feel the rush well.

#43 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I like Geno and I really want him to be good, but if he's not, he'll end up he costing the franchise roughly what Kellen Clemens did. nbd

Some of you are nuts, btw. The safety was indefensible.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#44 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,130 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

lol - but it wasnt Orlovsky like.  He knew where he was just lost control of his footwork.  Its no different then when a RB or WR is trying to tip-toe the line and miss steps.  He knew what he was doing....clear the tackle box and throw it away.  He just stepped out before he could get the throw off.  I mean, it was bad, definitely the worst of his mistakes IMO, you need better awareness but it wasnt like he didnt realize at all what was going on.  He did, just was too late before he could do something about it.

Once the ball leaves his hand it looks nice. It just takes to long for it to happen.

That wasnt the problem in college, the ball came out extremely fast.  He'll get more comfortable and that will change. 

Posted Image

#45 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I like Geno and I really want him to be good, but if he's not, he'll end up he costing the franchise roughly what Kellen Clemens did. nbd

Some of you are nuts, btw. The safety was indefensible.

I agree with you from a draft pick perspective, lets just hope they are willing to move on from Geno as quickly as we moved on past Clemens IF Geno is not the real deal, and draft a new QB high next year. This has become a QB league first and foremost, you need to get a good QB ASAP, the longer you don't have one, the further away from being a real competitor you are. 

#46 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

interesting how differently fans see the game.  I saw a very comfortable confident player.  He didnt look like the moment was too big for him.  Didnt get rattled by the mistakes.  Clearly, there were some things you'd like to see different but he's a rookie playing in his first ever NFL action, if you were expecting a spotless performance than you were fooling yourself.

I saw a pretty raw QB with a ton of promise.  

I think the fanbase as a whole has totally unrealistic expectations.    Geno is a rookie 2nd rd pick, basically the same spot the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens.  

I think Geno can realistically put up Tannehill numbers this year - who was a top 10 pick.    The question is would this fanbase be ok with "Tannehill #'s" and let Geno develop or would we revolt and demand someone else? 

#47 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,130 posts

I am the complete opposite, i was hoping we would drat him at 9, 13 and was stuck to my chair when we got him in the 2nd round. After watching him in a very limited sample, I am a whole lot less excited by him.

Well, there you go.  Its all about perspective. I expected garbage and was surprised to see some promise.  You expected greatness and got deflated. 

Posted Image

#48 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I mean I could be wrong - but most, if not all of his throws were check downs or underneath routes. Just to go through the picks. The one was behind the WR. That is not an inexperience problem, that is an accuracy problem and a throw that needs to happen. The one INT to Tuck and the one to the Safety happen to Vet QB's too. The safety in the back of the end zone was Brooks Bollinger/Mark Sanchez bad. All in all, no impressive throws on the night, and he looks short in the pocket without the ability to feel the rush well.

This was kind of how I felt too

lol - but it wasnt Orlovsky like.  He knew where he was just lost control of his footwork.  Its no different then when a RB or WR is trying to tip-toe the line and miss steps.  He knew what he was doing....clear the tackle box and throw it away.  He just stepped out before he could get the throw off.  I mean, it was bad, definitely the worst of his mistakes IMO, you need better awareness but it wasnt like he didnt realize at all what was going on.  He did, just was too late before he could do something about it.

That wasnt the problem in college, the ball came out extremely fast.  He'll get more comfortable and that will change. 

I hope you are right, but that could be a perception thing. It looks a lot faster when going against college players than NFL players. The NFL game is just so much faster. Im afraid that is not a comfort thing, but just how he throws the ball thing. It was not like once he decided who he was throwing to, it was instantly gone, it was like you could watch the throw developing, and you knew where it was going to go, that is usually not good as defenses will destroy that in the NFL.

#49 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think the fanbase as a whole has totally unrealistic expectations.    Geno is a rookie 2nd rd pick, basically the same spot the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens.  

I think Geno can realistically put up Tannehill numbers this year - who was a top 10 pick.    The question is would this fanbase be ok with "Tannehill #'s" and let Geno develop or would we revolt and demand someone else? 

The difference is Clemens was never thought of as a potential number 1 overall pick. For much of last college football season, Smith was thought to be the top overall pick, even heading into the draft, nobody would have been shocked if Smith went 1 overall. There was literally no chance of that with Clemens.

#50 Jacked4JetsFB

Jacked4JetsFB

• Banned
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well, there you go.  Its all about perspective. I expected garbage and was surprised to see some promise.  You expected greatness and got deflated. 

Im not really deflated, more just concerned. I don't want to go 5 more years with poor QB play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users