The QB eye test

Jacked4JetsFB

Idk bro. I thought Tannehill passed the eye test for me. He is going to be a great QB. Once they get on that NFL field, you can kind of just tell which ones are naturals and which ones are not. Most of the time this is correct, not 100% - but most times.

Agree, this is how I see it. There are maybe 10-15 real NFL QB's on the planet, in there prime, at any one point in time. You can usually spot by watching them play even for a little while whether or not they can possibly be one of those guys, but it's not anywhere close to an exact science.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of the safety, I really just don't see this at all. He escaped the pocket a few times and looked real good doing it. He throws decent on the run as well. I'm surprised by what others saw.

I see a lot of potential in him too. Hopefully he gets another chance soon and gets it together.

Agreed.  Threw the ball well on the run, navigated the pocket for something throwing lanes, had a couple of balls that were brilliantly placed.  I'm with you my man, I saw some promise and I was dead set against him in the draft.  I liked where we got him but didnt think he'd pan out.  Now, I think he's got a shot at being a pretty solid player. 

Agreed.  Threw the ball well on the run, navigated the pocket for something throwing lanes, had a couple of balls that were brilliantly placed.  I'm with you my man, I saw some promise and I was dead set against him in the draft.  I liked where we got him but didnt think he'd pan out.  Now, I think he's got a shot at being a pretty solid player. 

I am the complete opposite, i was hoping we would drat him at 9, 13 and was stuck to my chair when we got him in the 2nd round. After watching him in a very limited sample, I am a whole lot less excited by him.

Outside of the safety, I really just don't see this at all. He escaped the pocket a few times and looked real good doing it. He throws decent on the run as well. I'm surprised by what others saw.

I see a lot of potential in him too. Hopefully he gets another chance soon and gets it together.

I mean I could be wrong - but most, if not all of his throws were check downs or underneath routes. Just to go through the picks. The one was behind the WR. That is not an inexperience problem, that is an accuracy problem and a throw that needs to happen. The one INT to Tuck and the one to the Safety happen to Vet QB's too. The safety in the back of the end zone was Brooks Bollinger/Mark Sanchez bad. All in all, no impressive throws on the night, and he looks short in the pocket without the ability to feel the rush well.

He ran out of the back of the end zone.

lol - but it wasnt Orlovsky like.  He knew where he was just lost control of his footwork.  Its no different then when a RB or WR is trying to tip-toe the line and miss steps.  He knew what he was doing....clear the tackle box and throw it away.  He just stepped out before he could get the throw off.  I mean, it was bad, definitely the worst of his mistakes IMO, you need better awareness but it wasnt like he didnt realize at all what was going on.  He did, just was too late before he could do something about it.

Once the ball leaves his hand it looks nice. It just takes to long for it to happen.

That wasnt the problem in college, the ball came out extremely fast.  He'll get more comfortable and that will change. 

I like Geno and I really want him to be good, but if he's not, he'll end up he costing the franchise roughly what Kellen Clemens did. nbd

Some of you are nuts, btw. The safety was indefensible.

I agree with you from a draft pick perspective, lets just hope they are willing to move on from Geno as quickly as we moved on past Clemens IF Geno is not the real deal, and draft a new QB high next year. This has become a QB league first and foremost, you need to get a good QB ASAP, the longer you don't have one, the further away from being a real competitor you are. 

interesting how differently fans see the game.  I saw a very comfortable confident player.  He didnt look like the moment was too big for him.  Didnt get rattled by the mistakes.  Clearly, there were some things you'd like to see different but he's a rookie playing in his first ever NFL action, if you were expecting a spotless performance than you were fooling yourself.

I saw a pretty raw QB with a ton of promise.  

I think the fanbase as a whole has totally unrealistic expectations.    Geno is a rookie 2nd rd pick, basically the same spot the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens.  

I think Geno can realistically put up Tannehill numbers this year - who was a top 10 pick.    The question is would this fanbase be ok with "Tannehill #'s" and let Geno develop or would we revolt and demand someone else? 

I am the complete opposite, i was hoping we would drat him at 9, 13 and was stuck to my chair when we got him in the 2nd round. After watching him in a very limited sample, I am a whole lot less excited by him.

Well, there you go.  Its all about perspective. I expected garbage and was surprised to see some promise.  You expected greatness and got deflated. 

I mean I could be wrong - but most, if not all of his throws were check downs or underneath routes. Just to go through the picks. The one was behind the WR. That is not an inexperience problem, that is an accuracy problem and a throw that needs to happen. The one INT to Tuck and the one to the Safety happen to Vet QB's too. The safety in the back of the end zone was Brooks Bollinger/Mark Sanchez bad. All in all, no impressive throws on the night, and he looks short in the pocket without the ability to feel the rush well.

This was kind of how I felt too

lol - but it wasnt Orlovsky like.  He knew where he was just lost control of his footwork.  Its no different then when a RB or WR is trying to tip-toe the line and miss steps.  He knew what he was doing....clear the tackle box and throw it away.  He just stepped out before he could get the throw off.  I mean, it was bad, definitely the worst of his mistakes IMO, you need better awareness but it wasnt like he didnt realize at all what was going on.  He did, just was too late before he could do something about it.

That wasnt the problem in college, the ball came out extremely fast.  He'll get more comfortable and that will change. 

I hope you are right, but that could be a perception thing. It looks a lot faster when going against college players than NFL players. The NFL game is just so much faster. Im afraid that is not a comfort thing, but just how he throws the ball thing. It was not like once he decided who he was throwing to, it was instantly gone, it was like you could watch the throw developing, and you knew where it was going to go, that is usually not good as defenses will destroy that in the NFL.

I think the fanbase as a whole has totally unrealistic expectations.    Geno is a rookie 2nd rd pick, basically the same spot the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens.  

I think Geno can realistically put up Tannehill numbers this year - who was a top 10 pick.    The question is would this fanbase be ok with "Tannehill #'s" and let Geno develop or would we revolt and demand someone else? 

The difference is Clemens was never thought of as a potential number 1 overall pick. For much of last college football season, Smith was thought to be the top overall pick, even heading into the draft, nobody would have been shocked if Smith went 1 overall. There was literally no chance of that with Clemens.

Well, there you go.  Its all about perspective. I expected garbage and was surprised to see some promise.  You expected greatness and got deflated. 

Im not really deflated, more just concerned. I don't want to go 5 more years with poor QB play.

That is a really great question. I think Tannehill's numers would be fine. Right now, and I know its early, Geno has a 54 qb rating, so Tannehill's numbers would be an improvement.

The difference is Clemens was never thought of as a potential number 1 overall pick. For much of last college football season, Smith was thought to be the top overall pick, even heading into the draft, nobody would have been shocked if Smith went 1 overall. There was literally no chance of that with Clemens.

STEAL OF THE DRAFT

JAWS HAD JETS CLEMENS RATED NO. 1 QB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Ron Jaworski knows quarterbacks. He was a pretty good one in college, carved out a solid NFL career, and takes a lot of pride in his breakdown of QBs in his current role as an ESPN analyst.

Ask him about Kellen Clemens, the Jets' second-round pick out of Oregon, and you might be inclined to jump out of your shoes if you're a Jets fan.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens in a phone interview with The Post.

"I looked at one game and put my evaluation down and then looked at another and another, and as time went on I was blown away.

"Clemens has a quick release, a strong arm, can make multiple throws, does a great job processing information and finding the open receiver, has the anticipation you need," Jaworski said. "All of those things were there. The one negative I saw was I didn't think he was consistent enough with the deep ball.

"I saw nothing but upside. I had him at No. 1, ahead of [Matt] Leinart, [Jay] Cutler and [Vince] Young and everyone else until I saw the [NFL] Combine tapes and was concerned, because he wasn't healthy. That put up a little red flag."

Clemens, who missed the last several games of the 2005 season with a broken left fibula and wasn't 100 percent at the Combine, said yesterday that he's fine, recovered and ready to go.

"All the intangibles are there," Jaworski said. "I talked to a number of coaches that worked him out and put him to the chalkboard and they were blown away by him. Seven or eight NFL head coaches said, from the neck up, this guy is the best guy in the draft.

This explains in right here man. He wasn't a number 1 pick. Not only that, he didn't play in a pro style offense in college. Expectations have to be tempered. I would like to see him get the chance to start week 1 and see how he responds. I know others disagree but I definitely see potential.

This explains in right here man. He wasn't a number 1 pick. Not only that, he didn't play in a pro style offense in college. Expectations have to be tempered. I would like to see him get the chance to start week 1 and see how he responds. I know others disagree but I definitely see potential.

I was just hoping to see a few NFL throws. He has good zip on the ball - but he didn't make any of the throws Sanchez, and even Matt Simms have made so far in the pre season.

STEAL OF THE DRAFT

JAWS HAD JETS CLEMENS RATED NO. 1 QB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Ron Jaworski knows quarterbacks. He was a pretty good one in college, carved out a solid NFL career, and takes a lot of pride in his breakdown of QBs in his current role as an ESPN analyst.

Ask him about Kellen Clemens, the Jets' second-round pick out of Oregon, and you might be inclined to jump out of your shoes if you're a Jets fan.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens in a phone interview with The Post.

"I looked at one game and put my evaluation down and then looked at another and another, and as time went on I was blown away.

"One thing I heard about the guy is that he's only 6-1 5/8. To that my next question was, 'Did you see the guy play?' "

Clemens yesterday was unveiled in a Jets uniform for the first time, wearing No. 6 as the club began its weekend rookie mini-camp at Hofstra.

Asked about his aspirations about being the Jets' starting quarterback, Clemens said, "I'd love to someday, but right now I've got a lot of work to do before I can really go out and contribute the way the Jets need to me to."

Asked to describe himself as a quarterback, Clemens said, "A team leader sort of guy, a competitor. I try not to talk about me too much."

Naysayers are quick to point out that Clemens is only about a half-inch taller than Brooks Bollinger, the third-string QB who became the Jets' starter last year when Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler were lost for the season in Week 3.

"It's not even close between [Clemens] and Bollinger and I don't mean to demean Brooks, because he can be a serviceable backup in this league," Jaworski said. "But Clemens is about 20 pounds heavier than Bollinger, has a much stronger arm, and has really strong legs and can break tackles. He doesn't go down easily."

Clemens was a more prolific passer in college than Bollinger, who was more a threat with his legs than his arm.

"Clemens has a quick release, a strong arm, can make multiple throws, does a great job processing information and finding the open receiver, has the anticipation you need," Jaworski said. "All of those things were there. The one negative I saw was I didn't think he was consistent enough with the deep ball.

"I saw nothing but upside. I had him at No. 1, ahead of [Matt] Leinart, [Jay] Cutler and [Vince] Young and everyone else until I saw the [NFL] Combine tapes and was concerned, because he wasn't healthy. That put up a little red flag."

Clemens, who missed the last several games of the 2005 season with a broken left fibula and wasn't 100 percent at the Combine, said yesterday that he's fine, recovered and ready to go.

"All the intangibles are there," Jaworski said. "I talked to a number of coaches that worked him out and put him to the chalkboard and they were blown away by him. Seven or eight NFL head coaches said, from the neck up, this guy is the best guy in the draft.

I remember this all very clearly, I remember being excited when Jaws was talking about him after the draft. That is not my point at all. Can you find one mock draft, or anything even close to an article saying in 05 or 06 that Clemens was expected to be the top overall pick in the draft? Hell, even one thing leading up to the draft predicting him going in the first round? Geno had a ton of those, and in fact, I don't think there was one mock draft that had him slipping to the 2nd round, though I could be wrong on that.

I was just hoping to see a few NFL throws. He has good zip on the ball - but he didn't make any of the throws Sanchez, and even Matt Simms have made so far in the pre season.

Yeah they didn't really open it up for him. It would be more concerning to me if they did open it up and he was throwing the ball all over the place. They were trying to keep it conservative to give him confidence and his overthinking each pass killed him.

Doesn't mean he cant make those throws though.

Yeah they didn't really open it up for him. It would be more concerning to me if they did open it up and he was throwing the ball all over the place. They were trying to keep it conservative to give him confidence and his overthinking each pass killed him.

Doesn't mean he cant make those throws though.

Good point. Maybe it is the playcalling. Its totally possible. On a positive note, he did get knocked around a lot and didnt have that deer in the headlights look in his eyes.

Good point. Maybe it is the playcalling. Its totally possible. On a positive note, he did get knocked around a lot and didnt have that deer in the headlights look in his eyes.

Yeah that was definitely a plus. His reaction after the game was good too. Not grading himself...just learning. I really believe he learned a lot Saturday and hopefully we get a chance to see it. All I am saying definitively is I am not counting him out at all from that one game. It's not possible.

He has learning to do and I personally would rather see him do it as the starter and see if he can learn quick.

Yeah that was definitely a plus. His reaction after the game was good too. Not grading himself...just learning. I really believe he learned a lot Saturday and hopefully we get a chance to see it. All I am saying definitively is I am not counting him out at all from that one game. It's not possible.

He has learning to do and I personally would rather see him do it as the starter and see if he can learn quick.

I would rather see Simms at this point to be perfectly honest. If they called no plays (except the pick) that had NFL throws in them, then he should sit for a while. Plus he looks shorter then Brees out there which means he needs good pocket presence. Its just not his time yet imho.

I mean here is a very simple question to those who are against Geno starting or don't think he can be  a viable QB in this league.....

This is Sanchez's stat line from the Cardinals game last year

Mark Sanchez 10/21 97 yds 0 TD

3 Ints

Can you really put up with this again? From a 5 year starter? I know its just one game but it was horrible!!! Its when I really was absolutely done with this bum.

I like Geno and I really want him to be good, but if he's not, he'll end up he costing the franchise roughly what Kellen Clemens did. nbd

Some of you are nuts, btw. The safety was indefensible.

Depends.  KC was never talked about much, nobody cared, I don't think anybody thought he was 'the savior' and then they went all out for Favre.   He barely played his rookie year, he was thrown into the mix his second season, but more because Chad was Chad and Chad had the same injury issues he always had.   And after that, Favre came into the picture.

People want Geno Smith to start day one.   Nobody expected KC to start in his third year in the NFL.   Huge difference.  So yeah KC came and went and nobody cared, but the guy was never really talked about outside a few Jets fans who got tired of injury prone noodle arm Chad.   Whereas the media is already all over Geno and many if not most fans want Geno to start ASAP.    If Geno winds up playing the next couple of seasons and isnt' any good,  it's far different than a guy who essentially was never even the starter for most of his Jets career.

the eye test is a real thing, for example Sheldon Richardson is a player who passes the eye test. As soon as you see him on the field you know he's special. 

Geno vs Mark we will look back at this as herpes vs crabs. Two bad options. 

Go with the crabs

Herpes are forever

maybe im just not following the nfl closely cause im at school but what if geno played like a rookie can someone tell me what other rookie played as bad as him and is expected to start?

This does not fall on G Smith thou, this falls on the New York Jets for not having another option in case Geno was not ready, and one of the guys in front of him got hurt.  I don't care thou, because if Smith isn't ready, and doesn't improve while on the job, then he isn't worth dog sh*t IMO, so I think it is best that he get thrown to the wolves, the days of developing starting QB's are over unfortunatley, their just isn't enough decent QB's to keep these new kids holding clip boards for a year, or 2.

This does not fall on G Smith thou, this falls on the New York Jets for not having another option in case Geno was not ready, and one of the guys in front of him got hurt.  I don't care thou, because if Smith isn't ready, and doesn't improve while on the job, then he isn't worth dog sh*t IMO, so I think it is best that he get thrown to the wolves, the days of developing starting QB's are over unfortunatley, their just isn't enough decent QB's to keep these new kids holding clip boards for a year, or 2.

i agree to a certain extent

If geno is our option throw him out there but i thought sanchez should be starting since hes been playing better (best player plays). If he is really hurt then go go geno and hope lets see if he sinks or swims

Archived