Which 2013 Jets are on the 2014 53-man roster?

Jetsfan80

* Cap numbers courtesy of nyjetscap.com

** A total of 60 "core" players were placed into consideration.  The rest are assumed to be gone.

LOCKS:

1.  QB Geno Smith

2.  RB Chris Ivory

3.  RB Bilal Powell

* Only costs $745K in 2014.  Too many needs elsewhere and Powell has been solid.

4.  WR Jeremy Kerley

5.  WR Stephen Hill

* $900K dead money if cut in '14, only $350K in cap savings

6.  1.  WR David Nelson

* Signed to 2-year extension on 12/26

7.  LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

* Costs $1.3M against the cap, plus $13M dead money to cut in '14 and difficult to replace despite poor season.

8.  LG Brian Winters

9.  C Nick Mangold

10.  RT Oday Aboushi

11.  DE Muhammad Wilkerson

12.  NT Damon Harrison

13.  DT Sheldon Richardson

14.  DE Quinton Coples

15.  LB Demario Davis

16.  OLB Antwan Barnes

17.  CB Dee Milliner

PROBABLE KEEPS (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond):

1.  RB Mike Goodson

*  Signed thru 2015, $1.9M cap number in 2014, saves $1.3M by cutting.  Not a lock to keep after off the field struggles.

2.  FB Tommy Bohannon

* If new HC has system that doesn't require a FB, Bohannon's spot is not secured.

3. RG William Campbell

4.  NT Kenrick Ellis

*685K Cap Savings....May play out rookie contract.

5.  CB Kyle Wilson

*  $1.1M cap savings if cut, but $1.1M in dead money.  Will likely play out rookie contract like Kenrick Ellis then be let go after 2014.

6.  S Antonio Allen

7.  LS Tanner Purdum

PROBABLE CUTS/TRADE (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond): 

1.  QB Mark Sanchez

2.  WR Santonio Holmes

* $8.25M Cap Savings, $2.5M Dead Money

3.  CB Antonio Cromartie

*  $9.5M Cap Savings, $5.5M Dead Money

POSSIBLE CUTS/TRADE (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond):

1.  RB Alex Green

2.  WR Clyde Gates

3.  ILB David Harris

* $5M Cap Savings, $2M Dead Money

4.  S Jaiquawn Jarrett

50/50 GUYS (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond):

1.  WR Greg Salas

* $645K Cap Number, $645K Cap Savings, $0 Dead Money

2.  TE Zach Sudfeld

3.  OL Caleb Schlauderaff

4.  ILB Troy Davis

5.  S Josh Bush

6.  P Ryan Quigley

FREE AGENTS UNLIKELY TO BE KEPT:

1.  QB David Garrard

2.  QB Matt Simms

3.  RB John Griffin

4.  FB Lex Hilliard

5.  WR/KR Josh Cribbs

6.  TE Kellen Winslow

7.  TE Konrad Reuland

8.  LG Vlad Ducasse

9.  RG Willie Colon

10.  DE Jermaine Cunningham

11.  OLB Calvin Pace

12.  CB Aaron Berry

13.  CB Isaiah Trufant

14.  S Ed Reed

FREE AGENTS TO BRING BACK:

1.  TE Jeff Cumberland

2.  RT Austin Howard

3.  DT Leger Douzable

4.  OLB Garrett McIntyre

5.  ILB Nick Bellore

6.  ILB Josh Mauga

7.  CB Darrin Walls

8.  CB Ellis Lankster

9.  K Nick Folk

2014 PROJECTED RETURNERS (36)

QB (1)

Geno Smith

RB (3)

Chris Ivory

Bilal Powell

Mike Goodson

FB (1)

Tommy Bohannon

WR (3)

Jeremy Kerley

Stephen Hill

David Nelson

TE (2)

Jeff Cumberland

Zach Sudfeld

OT (3)

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Austin Howard

Oday Aboushi

OG (3)

Brian Winters

William Campbell

Caleb Schlauderaff

C (1)

Nick Mangold

DE (2)

Muhammad Wilkerson

Quinton Coples

DT (4)

Damon Harrison

Sheldon Richardson

Kenrick Ellis

Leger Douzable

OLB (2)

Antwan Barnes

Garrett McIntyre

ILB (3)

Demario Davis

Josh Mauga

Nick Bellore

CB (4)

Dee Milliner

Kyle Wilson

Darrin Walls

Ellis Lankster

S (2)

Antonio Allen

Josh Bush

Special Teams (2)

Nick Folk

Tanner Purdum

nice effort but my responses:

ILB Harris isn't being cut or traded

guys like Bellore and Lankster are ST stalwarts... likely to return.

can see them bringing back Colon and Pace on similar late career vet min type deals. 

no compelling reason to bring back Aaron Berry

Of your cut/trade guys, other than Harris all should be in camp next year.  Harris is a contract thing, but the others should be there and be beaten out for their spots.  Why the hell would Antonio Allen or Kenrick Ellis be 50-50?  They are under contract cheap.  There is no $645K savings because that is bottom of the barrell. They will have to pay somebody.  Some of these guys should not be on the team, but that should be because they are beaten out, not because you want to save a mythical $645K.  That whole 50-50 list should be back to compete also. 

Of your cut/trade guys, other than Harris all should be in camp next year.  Harris is a contract thing, but the others should be there and be beaten out for their spots.  Why the hell would Antonio Allen or Kenrick Ellis be 50-50?  They are under contract cheap.  There is no $645K savings because that is bottom of the barrell. They will have to pay somebody.  Some of these guys should not be on the team, but that should be because they are beaten out, not because you want to save a mythical $645K.  That whole 50-50 list should be back to compete also. 

Well I'm projecting out the final 53 man roster, not who we bring back for camp.  The "50/50 guys" will only be back in my mind if no adequate replacement is found.

If 36 of these guys return, that leaves 17 openings.  We have about 10-12 draft picks and a lot of cap dollars to spend.  That sounds about right to me.  Anything more than 36 and it means we're trading up in the draft or spending big on a couple free agents rather than spreading it around.

Link?  He's a liability in pass coverage, and if our new HC opts to go 4-3, he has no place on this team.  Similar to when Vilma was traded prior to the 3-4 scheme being installed.

if the jets go 4-3 you might be right. I hadn't considered that... nor do i think  it improves this defense. but it is a possibility.

if the jets go 4-3 you might be right. I hadn't considered that... nor do i think  it improves this defense. but it is a possibility.

1) When DL is your strength, you need to get them on the field as much as possible. 

2) Coples needs his hand in the dirt as much as possible.

3) Davis is perfect as a 4-3 MLB and Barnes works well as our pass-rushing OLB. 

4) We're already getting rid of 3-4 plodder Calvin Pace for sure.

5) Plus, Dunbar is a 4-3 guy.  It makes perfect sense.

1) When DL is your strength, you need to get them on the field as much as possible. 

Mo Wilkerson is playing DE in this scenario? guys like harrison and ellis might not have a place either.

Link?  He's a liability in pass coverage, and if our new HC opts to go 4-3, he has no place on this team.  Similar to when Vilma was traded prior to the 3-4 scheme being installed.

Vilma was on the Jets for 2 years playing 3-4.  How short our memories are.  

Well I'm projecting out the final 53 man roster, not who we bring back for camp.  The "50/50 guys" will only be back in my mind if no adequate replacement is found.

If 36 of these guys return, that leaves 17 openings.  We have about 10-12 draft picks and a lot of cap dollars to spend.  That sounds about right to me.  Anything more than 36 and it means we're trading up in the draft or spending big on a couple free agents rather than spreading it around.

Ah.  I see.  Got it.  The Jets roster has more than 17 openings.  Every one of these ****ers should be fighting for his job, but I get your point.  

Eh.  Which of those guys isn't on the field now?  I think Coples playing the edge is fine and he is starting to come around IMO.  I am not a fan of going into a season with Barnes as one of our 3 LBs.  He is situational IMO.  He also isn't that young and is coming of a significant injury. 

Mo Wilkerson is playing DE in this scenario? guys like harrison and ellis might not have a place either.

It's better for Snacks or Kenrick to be the odd man out on some downs than for Coples to be the guy that comes off the field or forced into OLB duties.  I know we pride ourselves on being a top run D and all but the new regime probably won't be as concerned with it.

It's not like we'll be 4-3 all the time either.  We're versatile enough on the DL that we can continue to show a lot of different fronts.  But primarily we should be leaning 4-3 over 3-4 based on the personnel we have.

Who cares? As far as I am concerned they can pretty much ALL go. I would have cut Kyle Wilson by now for sure, but with Rex around Mr. No Look will probably get a raise. Harris is playing better since BARF Scott's influence is gone, but not worth what e is paid. Nor are Ferguson, Sanchez, Holmes, Pace (not worth a nickel to me), or Stephen Hill. Whatever they are paying HIM it is way too much for an invisible WR.

Who cares? As far as I am concerned they can pretty much ALL go. I would have cut Kyle Wilson by now for sure, but with Rex around Mr. No Look will probably get a raise. Harris is playing better since BARF Scott's influence is gone, but not worth what e is paid. Nor are Ferguson, Sanchez, Holmes, Pace (not worth a nickel to me), or Stephen Hill. Whatever they are paying HIM it is way too much for an invisible WR.

they should disband the franchise, sell the practice fields and burn all the uniforms.

only then will they be able to properly rebuild and win the Super Bowl. 

It's better for Snacks or Kenrick to be the odd man out on some downs than for Coples to be the guy that comes off the field or forced into OLB duties.  I know we pride ourselves on being a top run D and all but the new regime probably won't be as concerned with it.

It's not like we'll be 4-3 all the time either.  We're versatile enough on the DL that we can continue to show a lot of different fronts.  But primarily we should be leaning 4-3 over 3-4 based on the personnel we have.

Can you please explain to me what the ******* difference is? The same guys are on the field.  What is the difference?  OMG Coples is standing up!  He is still performing the same function.  Holding the edge and funnelling plays back inside and getting upfield. 

Can you please explain to me what the ******* difference is? The same guys are on the field.  What is the difference?  OMG Coples is standing up!  He is still performing the same function.  Holding the edge and funnelling plays back inside and getting upfield. 

Most football people will tell you that a DE to OLB transition is quite difficult.  If it was that simple Coples wouldn't have struggled so much in the role early in the season.  He's best with a hand in his dirt, so I'd prefer to go that route.

Anyways, its not just the DL.  Our LB's are getting smaller and quicker than they were before.  The 4-3 is the best fit for our front 7 as a unit.

Who we decide to keep will have an impact on the direction we go in free agency. 

maybe i missed the answer but does that mean mo wilk at DE? with the starters being: 

coples -- snacks -- sheldon -- wilk 

he's 6'4" 315. Or are you thinking 

coples - sheldon - wilk -- ???

Most football people will tell you that a DE to OLB transition is quite difficult.  If it was that simple Coples wouldn't have struggled so much in the role early in the season.  He's best with a hand in his dirt, so I'd prefer to go that route.

Anyways, its not just the DL.  Our LB's are getting smaller and quicker than they were before.  The 4-3 is the best fit for our front 7 as a unit.

The role of an OLB in this defense is not the same as the role in Mangini's defense or (insert generic 4-3).  Coples struggled because he was hurt and is still adjusting to the NFL.  If you think plugging him in "with his hand in the dirt" makes him Julius Peppers I submit you are wrong. I am confident that he will be better next year with NFL experience under his belt, but I have seen very little evidence of him being set up to fail.

You mean when he wasnt playing with a fractured ankle? Coples has lined up every where and been very good no matter where he's lined up.  Versatility is why he was drafted and its showing, big time. 

And who are these smaller, quicker LB'ers you're referring to? 

You mean when he wasnt playing with a fractured ankle? Coples has lined up every where and been very good no matter where he's lined up.  Versatility is why he was drafted and its showing, big time. 

And who are these smaller, quicker LB'ers you're referring to? 

Just because Coples CAN line up at OLB and be effective doesn't mean it makes sense to keep forcing him to do so.

Davis is the perfect 4-3 MLB.  Not sure how you could possibly argue otherwise.  And Barnes makes sense as a pass-rushing OLB.  We'll likely be bringing in at least 2 new faces with all of the JAG free agent LB's we are likely to let go.  I doubt they'll be plodders.

In a 43 Demario Davis is probably your WLB. I also think Wilkerson is athletic enough to play DE. 

I still think Mauga is a really good football player who could be your starting SLB in a 43.

DL would still be littered with talent and depth in Ellis, Douzable and McIntyre (who's really a DE in a 43). 

I'd like to think you could pencil in Allen as a solid starter at SS. Maybe Bush comes along or maybe you can make Milliner into a competent Safety. 

Thus a hole at CB but you had one prior anyway. 

+1

Just like mock drafts, it is much easier to just sit around and nitpick than to actually put something like this together.

I like lists and there stands be lots of roster turnover.  I figured maybe this could be useful even if I'm way off.  I like the feedback.  :)

Just because Coples CAN line up at OLB and be effective doesn't mean it makes sense to keep forcing him to do so.

Davis is the perfect 4-3 MLB.  Not sure how you could possibly argue otherwise.  And Barnes makes sense as a pass-rushing OLB.  We'll likely be bringing in at least 2 new faces with all of the JAG free agent LB's we are likely to let go.  I doubt they'll be plodders.

It has been effective.  Shut up.

Davis is not the perfect MLB.  And he's just 1 LB'er. So again, who are these smaller quicker LB'ers?  Harris, Pace, Coples?  No.

Love the thread though.  Fag.

In a 43 Demario Davis is probably your WLB. I also think Wilkerson is athletic enough to play DE. 

I still think Mauga is a really good football player who could be your starting SLB in a 43.

DL would still be littered with talent and depth in Ellis, Douzable and McIntyre (who's really a DE in a 43). 

I'd like to think you could pencil in Allen as a solid starter at SS. Maybe Bush comes along or maybe you can make Milliner into a competent Safety. 

Thus a hole at CB but you had one prior anyway. 

Hmm, so we're looking at a big hole at MLB in this scenario? 

I actually really like Mauga too, but he is an UFA and ALWAYS injured.  The guy has been an injury risk going back through college and this was his 4th year in the Jets camp. He only made it through one season, 2011.  Interesting player, but you can't count on him.  

It has been effective.  Shut up.

Davis is not the perfect MLB.  And he's just 1 LB'er. So again, who are these smaller quicker LB'ers?  Harris, Pace, Coples?  No.

Love the thread though.  Fag.

I think Harris is probably gone and Pace is definitely gone.  Not sure why anyone would be against a front 4 containing Coples, Richardson, Wilkerson, and one of our many DT's.

FIRST AND FOREMOST IMPO, LETTING MATT SIMMS GET AWAY WILL HAUNT US FOREVER. Even if he goes somewhere else and is unsuccessful my full hearted belief is that guy is meant to be a NY Jet. Born is NY A YEAR AFTER his dad wins the super bowl for NY. Grows up in NJ under the wing of his dad so you know at least mentally he is capable of understanding the game and from the looks of it he is physically tougher than his brother who broke in half when you breathed on him. His arm in unquestionably the strongest on the team, and his accuracy is better that anyone on the team. His inability to get a chance to play is nothing but a perfect example of why this organization will continue to be the butt of everyones joke and scrape by every year while the Pats continue to roll well into bradys retirement. Im not saying Simms cannot fail and be a bust because he can, but im saying the inability to take a chance and trust your gut and eyes in front of you and not buy into players solely based on their price tag and their draft ranking. Nick Foles as you can see EVERYONE HAS FORGOTTON was like the 3rd string QB and the Eagles were supposed to be a power house with Mike Vick. The Browns has a great spark with the third stringer hometown kid until he got hurt. Redskins sat their franchise guy, Bears tried their backup cause of injury and know they can switch to him the minute cutler goes down again (he will). I mean i can go for days but the point is I REALLY hope they keep Matt Simms and give him a legit shot as 2nd string backup to Geno so that he gets snaps with the number 1s during the offseason and starts a QB controversy when people take notice he can play.

moving on..

PROBABLE:

1.  RB Mike Goodson

*  Signed thru 2015, $1.9M cap number in 2014, saves $1.3M by cutting.  Not a lock to keep after off the field struggles.

2.  FB Tommy Bohannon

* If new HC has system that doesn't require a FB, Bohannon's spot is not secured.

3. RG William Campbell

4.  CB Kyle Wilson

*  $1.1M cap savings if cut, but $1.1M in dead money.  Will likely play out rookie contract then be let go after 2014.

5.  LS Tanner Purdum

Id let Goodson go and draft The RB from FSU to replace him. Goodson looked promising but for what youre gonna pay him pay it to a solid rookie who might have a future and no off field issues as well as injuries. its a good draft year for us.

2.I like Bohannon. He plays tough and the name oozes Jersey. he's a good fit for the jet catches passes out the back and seems pretty effective conisdering our run game. I like having a FB and being a power running team cause that is what puts games away in the play offs.

3. Id keep cambell for continuity sake but if the tape shows he sucks then hes gone.

4. Id hate to say keep Wilson because he at this point is a one of the most seasoned guys in the secondary. We will need him to teach whatever CB we draft. I know im tooting FSU but honestly i think when you all see the NCAA championship you are gonna be saying we need to get some of those FSU guys. Lamarcus Joyner is short but he plays like a guy that knows the game. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268342/article/florida-states-lamarcus-joyner-dominated-vs-clemson

5. that blocked punt though....

PROBABLE CUTS/TRADE (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond): 

1.  QB Mark Sanchez

2.  WR Santonio Holmes

* $8.25M Cap Savings, $2.5M Dead Money

3.  CB Antonio Cromartie

*  $9.5M Cap Savings, $5.5M Dead Money

1. Trade Him ---St. Louis for a pick 
2. Goodbye. thank you for your services
3. try and trade him to St Louis who needs a CB for that 15....Him and Sanchez and a fourth for that St Louis #15...thats a good trade dude...

POSSIBLE CUTS/TRADE (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond):

1.  RB Alex Green

2.  WR Clyde Gates

3.  ILB David Harris

* $5M Cap Savings, $2M Dead Money

4.  S Jaiquawn Jarrett

1. I wish i saw more of him but id cut him or Goodson to make room for James Wilder Jr.
2. CUT
3.Resign
4.Playout 

50/50 GUYS (Under Contract thru 2014 or Beyond):

1.  WR David Nelson

2.  WR Greg Salas

3.  TE Zach Sudfeld

4.  OL Caleb Schlauderaff

5.  NT Kenrick Ellis

*685K Cap Savings....May play out rookie contract like Kyle Wilson

6.  ILB Troy Davis

7.  S Josh Bush

8.  S Antonio Allen

9.  P Ryan Quigley

1. CUT

2. PLAYOUT

3. PLAYOUT

4. PLAYOUT

5. RESIGN

6. PLAYOUT 

7. CUT 

8. RESIGN just for his ability to cover Gronk.

9. That block though...

FREE AGENTS UNLIKELY TO BE KEPT:

1.  QB David Garrard

2.  QB Matt Simms

3.  RB John Griffin

4.  FB Lex Hilliard

5.  WR/KR Josh Cribbs

6.  TE Kellen Winslow

7.  TE Konrad Reuland

8.  LG Vlad Ducasse

9.  RG Willie Colon

10.  DE Jermaine Cunningham

11.  OLB Calvin Pace

12.  ILB Nick Bellore

13.  CB Ellis Lankster

14.  CB Isaiah Trufant

15.  S Ed Reed

1. GONE

2. PLEASE BRO KEEP THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!

3. CUT

4. If he wants to stay he can.

5. If he wants to stay he can.

6. GONE

7. GONE

8. If he wants to stay he can

9. If he wants to stay he can

10. If he wants to stay he can

11. If he wants to stay he can. Retire a Jet.

12. Dont Care

13. For Continuity yeah i guess unless you keep Cro then cut him for Joyner

14. ^see above

15. GONE. will resign with Baltimore to reture a Raven.

FREE AGENTS TO BRING BACK:

1.  TE Jeff Cumberland

2.  RT Austin Howard

3.  DT Leger Douzable

4.  OLB Garrett McIntyre

5.  ILB Josh Mauga

6.  CB Darrin Walls

7.  CB Aaron Berry

8.  K Nick Folk

1. RESIGN

2. RESIGN

3. RESIGN

4. RESIGN

5. RESIGN

6. RESIGN

7. Can we get someone better? Check the Market....

8. RESIGN BIG TIME

2014 PROJECTED RETURNERS (36)

QB

Start Matt Simms

Geno Smith

Draft a QB in the later round. i say the guy from NI or even AJ

RB

Ivory

Powell

James Wilder Jr from FSU with our #2 pick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW4lm-u6CY

FB

Bohannon

WR

Hill (can be replaced if you trade Sanchez & Cromartie to St Louis for their #15 for Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins OR SEE BELOW)

Kerley

Kelvin Benjamin from FSU with our #1 pick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTkyr7Qv8mc

TE

Cumberland

Sudfeld

OT

Ferguson

Howard

Ducasse

OG

Winters

Colon

Cambell/Schlauderfeld/DRAFT PICK battle in training camp also to backup Mangold at C

C

Mangold

DE

Wilkerson

Coples

DT

Harrison

Richardson

Douzable

Ellis

OLB

Branes/McIntyre