Realistic prospects for the Jets in the 2016 draft

Tinstar

Who do you expect to be around when the Jets pick ?

Most of these players with the exception of Stanley would be late 2nd day and 3 day picks . Stanley would be a nice get on day 1, but that's most likely not going to happen.

I say a mock with Hackenburg going to us in the 4th . It's early, so things will change often .

All four of your QBS are not 1st round material. 

I am sure you are quite aware the draft has more that the 1st round.  I do not expect the Jets to have a shot at any of the 1st round QB who are presently projected to be so, but I do expect them to at least draft another prospect .

It's why I made the title realistic options. 

I would love to have a shot Jason Spriggs in the 2nd round as a potential replacement for Ferguson at LT in 2 years

I think Devontae Booker is the most complete RB in this draft . Reminds me of the kid in Chicago (Forte) when he came out of Tulane. 

Of all the players I listed , the only possible 1st rounders are  Ronnie Stanley and Josh Doctson .

I am sure you are quite aware the draft has more that the 1st round.  I do not expect the Jets to have a shot at any of the 1st round QB who are presently projected to be so, but I do expect them to at least draft another prospect .

It's why I made the title realistic options. 

I would love to have a shot Jason Spriggs in the 2nd round as a potential replacement for Ferguson at LT in 2 years

I think Devontae Booker is the most complete RB in this draft . Reminds me of the kid in Chicago (Forte) when he came out of Tulane. 

Of all the players I listed , the only possible 1st rounders are  Ronnie Stanley and Josh Doctson .

you want a QB than draft Nate Sudfeld out of Indiana.

Hackenberg is not worth a 4th rounder with Petty being groomed.

I dont know if hes worth a 4th for anyone, he is awful.

Jets need to draft 1 to 2 quarterbacks every year until we find the right guy No one knows anything about Pretty. Hackenberg can be the wrong fit for that offense who knows 

QB,LB,RB,WR,OL are a must for the next couple years

Forte is in his 30s... not sure where you draw the line with "kid"

Booker isn't even in my top 5, but I can't fault anyone for arguing in his favor. He'll be a part of someone's committee but I don't see anything special there... Dixon/Collins/Hunt>>Booker when you're talking rnd 2/3 backs. 

Forte is in his 30s... not sure where you draw the line with "kid"

Booker isn't even in my top 5, but I can't fault anyone for arguing in his favor. He'll be a part of someone's committee but I don't see anything special there... Dixon/Collins/Hunt>>Booker when you're talking rnd 2/3 backs. 

I'm a few mornings older than 30, so yea, he might still be a kid to me..  Here's how this breaks down for me.  I am looking for a LT or an OLber in the 1st and 2nd round . Therefore,    where would you think I would find a RB who can block, catch passes out of the backfield and run the rock.  Last year about this time I mentioned a player by the name of David Johnson .  By draft time, everyone was talking about him . You don't have to like Booker just because I do. I happen to like Collins, but he can't block, mostly because he never had to and absolutely nobody knows right now if that kid can catch passes out of the backfield with any skill.

I'm a few mornings older than 30, so yea, he might still be a kid to me..  Here's how this breaks down for me.  I am looking for a LT or an OLber in the 1st and 2nd round . Therefore,    where would you think I would find a RB who can block, catch passes out of the backfield and run the rock.  Last year about this time I mentioned a player by the name of David Johnson .  By draft time, everyone was talking about him . You don't have to like Booker just because I do. I happen to like Collins, but he can't block, mostly because he never had to and absolutely nobody knows right now if that kid can catch passes out of the backfield with any skill.

lol, i started the David Johnson train before his senior year. Last year at this time, y'all were just jumping on board. 

Like i said, can't fault anyone for liking what Booker brings to the table. I'm just not in love with his salad bar. The good news is, we have plenty of options at that position - which should allow us to go after the OT & LBs we value. 

Haven't really begun watching aside from games I've watched live, but this guy Myles Jack seems pretty effin legit. With his injury, he may fall to us. A stud ILB who can cover and play every down with Harris would be huge for us. 

Obvious needs are ILB, OLB, OL, and QB (not in order). Would be happy with any of these positions in round 1. 

Haven't really begun watching aside from games I've watched live, but this guy Myles Jack seems pretty effin legit. With his injury, he may fall to us. A stud ILB who can cover and play every down with Harris would be huge for us. 

Obvious needs are ILB, OLB, OL, and QB (not in order). Would be happy with any of these positions in round 1. 

Considering our entire backfield are FAs after this year, i'd say you could chalk that one up there too.

We have an opportunity here to go out and possibly draft a serious playmaker at RB. The need is there, and the talent coming out is too. 

Considering our entire backfield are FAs after this year, i'd say you could chalk that one up there too.

We have an opportunity here to go out and possibly draft a serious playmaker at RB. The need is there, and the talent coming out is too. 

Or we can draft a serious playmaking RB later and not waste a first round pick on a RB. I like Elliot, I love how good he is in pass pro too, but drafting a first round RB is really not smart. Le'veon Bell, David Johnson, Devonta Freeman, Matt Jones, Thomas Rawls, Lamar Miller, Karlos Williams, Latavius Murray, Jeremy Langford - all examples of recent guys just this year that weren't taken in the first round that have shined. Other guys in recent years that jump out are Alfred morris (6th), CJ Anderson (UDFA), Arian Foster UDFA, Eddie Lacy (2nd). 

First Round RBs since 2006:

Todd Gurley

Melvin Gordon

Trent Richardson (FA)

Doug Martin (two bad years in between his good ones)

David Wilson (FA)

Mark Ingram (waited 3 years to be good)

CJ Spiller, one good year, has since been overrated and is pretty terrible and injury prone

Ryan Mathews (underwhelming for the 12th overall pick, but a pretty good player)

Jahvid Best (FA)

Knowshon Moreno (Beneficiary to Peyton Manning's best season ever, FA)

Donald Brown (might still be on the colts, awful pick nonetheless)

Beanie Wells FA

Darren McFadden (overally pretty good career, doing well with Dallas, spent half his years with the raiders hurt)

Rashard Mendenhall (FA)

Chris Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Marshawn Lynch (Wasn't that good until he got traded to the Seahawks)

Reggie Bush (one good year with his second team, overrated his entire career)

Laurence Maroney FA

DeAngelo Williams (Still doing well, though underwhelming while on the Panthers due to split carries)

Joseph Addai (one or two good years?) FA

9/21 = 42%

I agree it's a need, but when you constantly see RBs get hurt and easily replaced by no-names (Rawls, West, Knile Davis, Joseph Randle, everyone the Pats bring in, Bobby Rainy, Mike James, Zac Stacy (that one year), and a lot more), I'll use my first round pick elsewhere. 

First Round RBs since 2006:

Todd Gurley

Melvin Gordon

Trent Richardson (FA)

Doug Martin (two bad years in between his good ones)

David Wilson (FA)

Mark Ingram (waited 3 years to be good)

CJ Spiller, one good year, has since been overrated and is pretty terrible and injury prone

Ryan Mathews (underwhelming for the 12th overall pick, but a pretty good player)

Jahvid Best (FA)

Knowshon Moreno (Beneficiary to Peyton Manning's best season ever, FA)

Donald Brown (might still be on the colts, awful pick nonetheless)

Beanie Wells FA

Darren McFadden (overally pretty good career, doing well with Dallas, spent half his years with the raiders hurt)

Rashard Mendenhall (FA)

Chris Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Marshawn Lynch (Wasn't that good until he got traded to the Seahawks)

Reggie Bush (one good year with his second team, overrated his entire career)

Laurence Maroney FA

DeAngelo Williams (Still doing well, though underwhelming while on the Panthers due to split carries)

Joseph Addai (one or two good years?) FA

9/21 = 42%

Couple things;

1st - you're cherry picking here. Yes, 9/21 doesn't look great - but if you ran the same test on running backs in the 4th persay, you're going to see even worse numbers. 10/60 kind of thing... so let's not pretend this is a 1st round thing. UDFA stories like Foster are very real, but the number of UDFA backs that disappear is 10000x more prevalent.

2nd - I agree! We ought to take the right back at the right time. No round is off limits. Last year, no one was banging the David Johnson drum louder than myself. I mocked Thomas Rawls to us in the 6th/7th round in many of my mock drafts... but i also (and still do) think the Jets were retarded for passing on Gurley. I was beside myself when they took Williams over him. 

It's all about where talent meets value. This year, my early favorites from that perspective is Toledo's K Hunt and  LT's K. Dixon... but if the board falls a certain way and Elliot is the BPA when we pick at #32 (:P) then hell yea you take zeke and begin masturbating. 

Couple things;

1st - you're cherry picking here. Yes, 9/21 doesn't look great - but if you ran the same test on running backs in the 4th persay, you're going to see even worse numbers. 10/60 kind of thing... so let's not pretend this is a 1st round thing. UDFA stories like Foster are very real, but the number of UDFA backs that disappear is 10000x more prevalent.

2nd - I agree! We ought to take the right back at the right time. No round is off limits. Last year, no one was banging the David Johnson drum louder than myself. I mocked Thomas Rawls to us in the 6th/7th round in many of my mock drafts... but i also (and still do) think the Jets were retarded for passing on Gurley. I was beside myself when they took Williams over him. 

It's all about where talent meets value. This year, my early favorites from that perspective is Toledo's K Hunt and  LT's K. Dixon... but if the board falls a certain way and Elliot is the BPA when we pick at #32 (:P) then hell yea you take zeke and begin masturbating. 

Yeah, agreed. I just wanted to point out I'd rather miss on a later round than a first round pick. Even in that list, only 3, AP CJ2k and Marshawn (delayed), have earned their pick value imo. There are always a few exceptions, but I'd avoid 99.9% of the time.

Gurley would be nice at the moment, I have to admit. Have to wonder whether he was the pick had Leonard been taken by the skins. Picking at 31* (the rats don't have a pick ;)) would be sweet, and if that were the case, I couldn't say I'd be angry with Elliot at that point, but I am fairly against it, as hypocritical as that sounds. Always exciting to have a great rb.

Yeah, agreed. I just wanted to point out I'd rather miss on a later round than a first round pick. Even in that list, only 3, AP CJ2k and Marshawn (delayed), have earned their pick value imo. There are always a few exceptions, but I'd avoid 99.9% of the time.

Gurley would be nice at the moment, I have to admit. Have to wonder whether he was the pick had Leonard been taken by the skins. Picking at 31* (the rats don't have a pick ;)) would be sweet, and if that were the case, I couldn't say I'd be angry with Elliot at that point, but I am fairly against it, as hypocritical as that sounds. Always exciting to have a great rb.

There's definitely a distinction to be made between the APs and Gurley's vs the rather ho-hum first round backs like Matthews, Spiller, Moreno etc... I'm with you on those ones. I'd rather not burn a pick on talent that is disposable or risk muffing on a RB... 

Part of this discussion is fueled by the fact that I'm beginning to yearn for a true franchise RB. We're coming on 10 years since Martin... Ivory has been a nice bandaide but he's not "The Guy" like Martin was, or like Bell, or AP currently are. I know that's setting the bar high with those names, but I'd like to see someone with that kind of playmaking ability in Green and White - especially if we're going to be without a legit top 5-8 QB for another few years.  

There's definitely a distinction to be made between the APs and Gurley's vs the rather ho-hum first round backs like Matthews, Spiller, Moreno etc... I'm with you on those ones. I'd rather not burn a pick on talent that is disposable or risk muffing on a RB... 

Part of this discussion is fueled by the fact that I'm beginning to yearn for a true franchise RB. We're coming on 10 years since Martin... Ivory has been a nice bandaide but he's not "The Guy" like Martin was, or like Bell, or AP currently are. I know that's setting the bar high with those names, but I'd like to see someone with that kind of playmaking ability in Green and White - especially if we're going to be without a legit top 5-8 QB for another few years.  

I agree, and what's good about having most GM's with this same mindset is that some good ones fall to later rounds because of it! 

Good conversation folks. If I may say, I like Elliot, but I am hoping someone takes him before we pick because I have a feeling he could be by far the best available prospect on the board when the Jets are on the clock . I really liked Gurley last year, but I was not taking him ahead of Williams who I still think was the best prospect in that draft. I am curious to see how Paradis has his players ranked offensively.

8 tds and 5 ints, sacked 13 times, This year.  You are giving him credit for 11 wins the year before when he threw 92 friggin passes?  Child please.

have to wonder how much of that fcking magic show Urban was trying to pull impacted his momentum/development. I'm presently neutral on his stock, but point to any QB who was in a similar yoyo act -- and found success. 

I'd appreciate the Jets at least doing their due dilligence on this one. I'd hate him to see him turned into game winning machine ala 2014 championship run and us be left holding our dicks in our hands. 

Braxton Miller is intriguing if we can get him at a good price

He's a late 4th, 5th 0r early 6th round pick as of today. He's a player I like as a 4th receiver option who can run trick plays and reverses while learning the position at the NFL level. His combine will be very important to his draft status .

I like him and I absolutely love Kenyon drake as a change of pace RB/ pass catcher and special teams returner.  We need these type of players on the back end of our roster .

Going to have to add Jerald Hawkins name to the list of OTs  who might be an option for the Jets. The more players who add their name to the draft, the more I see the Jets going OT with the 1st pick at 20 .  I might even see Big Mac trading down and out of the 1st.

As of today, January 14th my 4th and 5th round picks are Braxton Miller and Kenyon Drake  provided we don't take Coleman in the 1st .  

Archived