Fitzpatrick, Jets Stuck in Tough Spot

JetNation

6 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

The jets guaranteed 15 million to Ryan Fitzpatrick out of his 24 maybe 36 million lmao

what a bunch of clowns, Mike mcaggan and Todd Bowles should be fired by 2017, bunch of idiots.

pot.... meet kettle

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ylekram said:

yea, I will stick with plan "A" myself, which is what the front office is trying to get accomplished. plan "B" starts in 2017 but the geniuses want to start plan "B" this year. either that or they want to start geno and finally see what he's got. unfortunately, I don't think geno is part of any jets plan, especially after this year

Look no contracts are structured that way. You don't tell your starting Qb he's the starter in the first year and the backup later. If they have no confidence in the guy ok one year deal or don't sign him. As for the 3/36 what are the incentives. Incentives are usually to bump up a contract a little if a team makes the playoffs, SB or a player makes the Pro Bowl, etc. Some are easily attainable and some aren't. If they are going to leak info then tell the entire story. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I've read reports that that's exactly how this deal is structured, 3/$36M if he hits all incentives. 

its hard to say without knowing the details, but if the incentives are reasonable, then the contract sounds reasonable.sounds a helluva lot better than that 12-6-6 that was reported, which basically shoehorned fitz into backup duty for years 2-3. i guess we will see what happens

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is the problem I have with Jet fans that seemingly want Fitz back at all costs.  

It didn't work out pretty well last year.! They didn't even make the playoffs.  Losing gracefully has become a win for some fans.  Not me.

A six win improvement over the year before, when 10 wins is usually enough to get into the playoffs.  It was certainly heading in the right direction.

The endgame in this is not smart. You're taking what was a good situation coming into 2016 with a starting Qb and playmakers who are on the same page, an offense that worked and a lot of team chemistry. And turning it into an unstable situation, discord and a media circus. We should be taking a step forward not a step backwards. When it's our best chance in years to make the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

A six win improvement over the year before, when 10 wins is usually enough to get into the playoffs.  It was certainly heading in the right direction.

as another poster stated months ago, and i love this quote, "jet fans have been eating dog food for so long, they finally get a taste of hamburger, and now they are demanding steak"..some are convinced that the $12 hamburger is not worth it and would rather go with the $1.70 can of dog food. they are also convinced that that can of dog food, after sitting for a year on the shelf, will transform into a steak. i guess it could happen, but odds are its going to still taste like dog food

Let's look at this from a worst case (risk) scenario;  

Plan A - Sign Fitz to contact he demands = 3yr +40m - Fitz starts, reverts to form and Jets have cap clean up mess, probably lose Mo 

Plan B - Do not sign Fitz = Geno starts, does not improve, rookies prove not ready and Jets have to start QB search all over again in 2017

Assume that both outcomes result in a 6 win season, which scenario does the most damage to Mac's career (and the Jets?)

Plan A - going with what worked last year, arguably putting the best players on the field 

Plan B - conservative approach,  do not cave to Fitz, arguably better long term decision making

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Let's look at this from a worst case (risk) scenario;  

Plan A - Sign Fitz to contact he demands = 3yr +40m - Fitz starts, reverts to form and Jets have cap clean up mess, probably lose Mo 

Plan B - Do not sign Fitz = Geno starts, does not improve, rookies prove not ready and Jets have to start QB search all over again in 2017

Assume that both outcomes result in a 6 win season, which scenario does the most damage to Mac's career (and the Jets?)

Plan A - going with what worked last year, arguably putting the best players on the field 

Plan B - conservative approach,  do not cave to Fitz, arguably better long term decision making

If the net result of Macc's second off season is that Smith is the starter on Opening Day, then his second off season will be rightly viewed by most informed and knowledgeable followers of the game as a colossal failure.

It seems to me the bottom line thinking by the Jets FO is:

1. Fitz is the best option at QB this year (In my mind they have no confidence in Geno)

2. With the hopes of a better team on offense and defense, another year with this system and another year removed from the leg injury, Fitz might get us into the playoffs.

2. Fitz is NOT the future.

As such, they have structured a deal which pays Fitz as an average/below average starter in the NFL this year; and assuming someone on the roster takes over next year, pays him as a well payed backup; and if, the other QBs don't step up and Fitz wins the job next year, with incentives he gets payed as an average/below average starter. This makes complete sense from the point of view of the Jets.

The problem is that this is business for the Jets, so the offer is reasonable and rational. For Fitz it is his livelihood and personal, so it is not. Hopefully Fitz soon realizes that this is the best offer his is going to get, and the Jets give him the best chance to not only  start, but succeed; and although it isn't a huge contract, it is a much better contract than what he had before and is reflective of the good season he had.

Good for Fitz and I hope he doesn't sign this deal. It's stupid. You don't tell your Qb he can start one year and be the backup to your 2nd round draft pick after that.  If you don't have confidence in the guy let him leave. You also don't try to make him look bad in public. 

Ummm, they did let him leave. The Jets can tell him whatever they want. If he doesn't like it he can go sign one of the other more lucrative offers he's received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

While I have been trying too stay away from this silly story this summer, I just found out that Decker's and Fitz's agent are one in the same.

How stupid this whole thing is. Let Fitz walk. 

^  Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to say don't deal with a player because his agent is also an agent for another player. 

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

It seems to me the bottom line thinking by the Jets FO is:

1. Fitz is the best option at QB this year (In my mind they have no confidence in Geno)

2. With the hopes of a better team on offense and defense, another year with this system and another year removed from the leg injury, Fitz might get us into the playoffs.

2. Fitz is NOT the future.

As such, they have structured a deal which pays Fitz as an average/below average starter in the NFL this year; and assuming someone on the roster takes over next year, pays him as a well payed backup; and if, the other QBs don't step up and Fitz wins the job next year, with incentives he gets payed as an average/below average starter. This makes complete sense from the point of view of the Jets.

The problem is that this is business for the Jets, so the offer is reasonable and rational. For Fitz it is his livelihood and personal, so it is not. Hopefully Fitz soon realizes that this is the best offer his is going to get, and the Jets give him the best chance to not only  start, but succeed; and although it isn't a huge contract, it is a much better contract than what he had before and is reflective of the good season he had.

I think Fitz realizes it, but he realizes (or thinks he realizes) the Jets equally have nowhere else to turn and doesn't figure he has anything to lose by letting this drag out.

Plus what if the Jets do come up by what seems to be an insignificant $1M (or $1M more in guarantees), or even $500K, just to let him save face a little. Well, that's another $500K to $1M and the work he had to do was hold out (do nothing) for 3 months. He's better off with that extra $ than without it.

He also got something else in this time: he has no future regrets, looking back and wondering what more he might have gotten from the Jets - or from another team - if he didn't sign with the Jets so quickly back in March. Later on wondering what might have been is typically filled with regret, and he will be relieved of such feelings. That is, unless the Jets pull the offer back suddenly, but we'd all be pretty shocked if that happened. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think Fitz realizes it, but he realizes (or thinks he realizes) the Jets equally have nowhere else to turn and doesn't figure he has anything to lose by letting this drag out.

Plus what if the Jets do come up by what seems to be an insignificant $1M (or $1M more in guarantees), or even $500K, just to let him save face a little. Well, that's another $500K to $1M and the work he had to do was hold out (do nothing) for 3 months. He's better off with that extra $ than without it.

He also got something else in this time: he has no future regrets, looking back and wondering what more he might have gotten from the Jets - or from another team - if he didn't sign with the Jets so quickly back in March. Later on wondering what might have been is typically filled with regret, and he will be relieved of such feelings. That is, unless the Jets pull the offer back suddenly, but we'd all be pretty shocked if that happened. 

I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen soon actually.  All the contract leaks lead me to believe they're getting tired of waiting.  

51 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

^  Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to say don't deal with a player because his agent is also an agent for another player. 

No, it makes a lot of sense to give someone a deadline and say, "you either want to be here or you don't,". And be ready to walk away. You don't let anyone hold up the team. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen soon actually.  All the contract leaks lead me to believe they're getting tired of waiting.  

Look, I think this offer is an overpayment and a waste of $ that could/should have gone to others. That said, I will be shocked if he really isn't on the team this summer and think most people will be as well. 

If they were going to play hardball with him they wouldn't still have an unsigned offer on the table for 3 months. It would be another month before they would consider rescinding it, until mandatory minicamp starts in mid-June. My guess is he'll sign this (or a hair raise from this) on or about June 10-13.

Right now Macc, Marshall and Decker are in a room.

Macc:  "Bout time you fools decided to join us."

Decker:  "The wife needed a vacation.  Oh yeah, and this whole Fitz thing."

Marshall:  "Same thing, but Geno is a cool guy too."

Macc:  "Let's cut to the chase, an extra 1mil in each of your next contracts to go all in w/Geno."

Marshall:  "Done deal."

Decker:  "What about t-shirts?  I love my FitzMagic t-shirt."

Macc:  "Yes Decker, we'll make you some Geno t-shirts."

Decker:  "Sweet!  Sign me up."

Tomorrow's press availability will have tons of Geno support.  Friday the Jets pull the offer to Fitz.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Look, I think this offer is an overpayment and a waste of $ that could/should have gone to others. That said, I will be shocked if he really isn't on the team this summer and think most people will be as well. 

If they were going to play hardball with him they wouldn't still have an unsigned offer on the table for 3 months. It would be another month before they would consider rescinding it, until mandatory minicamp starts in mid-June. My guess is he'll sign this (or a hair raise from this) on or about June 10-13.

Sure, I'd say odds are still in favor Fitz ends up back here.  But things seem to be changing quickly now.  The leaks, Marshall and Decker back in practice, Geno looking good in OTAs, some media actually discussing moving on w/o Fitz...

Fitz better move fast.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So Fitzpatrick wants to stick it to the Jets ...........How does the Fitzpatrick supporters feel now?   

A JAN. 3, 2016 FILE PHOTO

Mehta: Ryan Fitzpatrick could sign elsewhere to stick it to Jets

i think there is more to this story and have been thinking that for the past few days now. the Fitzpatrick negotiations have been held under wraps for the most part of free agency, up until this week. all we heard was fitz had talked to the broncos and is trying to hammer out a deal for the jets. i believe the conversation between fitz and Elway went something like this

Elway-"fitz, what kinda money you looking for"

fitz-"big money for multiple years"

Elway- "slow down son. we are looking to give you 7-8m for 1 year"

fitz-"the jets already offered me 12m for the 1st year"

Elway-" well if it doesn't work out with the jets, we are interested in 7-8m for 1 year. let us know"

if fitz signs with the jets, he gets great money for 1 year and is shoehorned to back up duty for basically the rest of his career. there was talk about incentives for years 2-3, but they might be unattainable. if the jets decide that hackenburg is ready in 2017, fitz is screwed. he will never get a chance to start again

if my theory is true, and the jets don't budge, Fitzpatrick might be better off signing with Denver for 1 year on a super bowl ready team with sanchez as his competition

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

i think there is more to this story and have been thinking that for the past few days now. the Fitzpatrick negotiations have been held under wraps for the most part of free agency, up until this week. all we heard was fitz had talked to the broncos and is trying to hammer out a deal for the jets. i believe the conversation between fitz and Elway went something like this

Elway-"fitz, what kinda money you looking for"

fitz-"big money for multiple years"

Elway- "slow down son. we are looking to give you 7-8m for 1 year"

fitz-"the jets already offered me 12m for the 1st year"

Elway-" well if it doesn't work out with the jets, we are interested in 7-8m for 1 year. let us know"

if fitz signs with the jets, he gets great money for 1 year and is shoehorned to back up duty for basically the rest of his career. there was talk about incentives for years 2-3, but they might be unattainable. if the jets decide that hackenburg is ready in 2017, fitz is screwed. he will never get a chance to start again

if my theory is true, and the jets don't budge, Fitzpatrick might be better off signing with Denver for 1 year on a super bowl ready team with sanchez as his competition

And then, after they fail to make the playoffs, we'll hear how Denver really wasn't that good this year.

On the flip side, we will end up with the same # of Lombardi trophies after this season and will have an extra $15M in cap room (and maybe a higher pick) to boot. Plus an earlier look at Hackenberg in the 2nd half of the season

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And then, after they fail to make the playoffs, we'll hear how Denver really wasn't that good this year.

On the flip side, we will end up with the same # of Lombardi trophies after this season and will have an extra $15M in cap room (and maybe a higher pick) to boot. Plus an earlier look at Hackenberg in the 2nd half of the season

i know you like playing nostradomus and all,  but what does this have to do with what i posted?

32 minutes ago, ylekram said:

You mean Sanchez and Lynch as his competition.

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

You mean Sanchez and Lynch as his competition.

meh. i loved lynch coming out and wouldn't shed one tear if the jets grabbed him @20. but lynch is the definition of a project. he wont see the field this year. and by chance he does, it will  be late in the year, but i doubt it

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

meh. i loved lynch coming out and wouldn't shed one tear if the jets grabbed him @20. but lynch is the definition of a project. he wont see the field this year. and by chance he does, it will  be late in the year, but i doubt it

Probably, but with him there, where would Fitz be year two? I would imagine if the 3 years was a problem, the Jets could offer Fitz an option to get out of years 2 and 3 (if he gives bonus/guarantee back). So, why not play for the team you had success with for more money?

54 minutes ago, ylekram said:

i know you like playing nostradomus and all,  but what does this have to do with what i posted?

It's a continuation of the end of your post. It's what will happen if/after Fitz signs with Denver.

That, and I like to hear the sound of my own voice. Try to hide your obvious jealousy of Mrs. Sperm if you can.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a continuation of the end of your post. It's what will happen if/after Fitz signs with Denver.

That, and I like to hear the sound of my own voice. Try to hide your obvious jealousy of Mrs. Sperm if you can.

geeze, you off your meds again:cool:

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Probably, but with him there, where would Fitz be year two? I would imagine if the 3 years was a problem, the Jets could offer Fitz an option to get out of years 2 and 3 (if he gives bonus/guarantee back). So, why not play for the team you had success with for more money?

that's if the jets stand pat with their offer. its a stupid contract in fitz's eyes. if they decide to start hack in 2017, where does that leave fitz? basically ends his career. a 1 year deal makes more sense to him than the jets 3 year deal. but to answer your question. where does that leave fitz in year 2? probably out on the street. but he can still try to find another starting gig

Just now, ylekram said:

that's if the jets stand pat with their offer. its a stupid contract in fitz's eyes. if they decide to start hack in 2017, where does that leave fitz? basically ends his career. a 1 year deal makes more sense to him than the jets 3 year deal. but to answer your question. where does that leave fitz in year 2? probably out on the street. but he can still try to find another starting gig

Yeah, that's my point; the Jets likely need the 3 year deal for cap purposes ... they can probably give Fitz an out - make it basically a 3 year deal, and he is free to go find another job

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

No, it makes a lot of sense to give someone a deadline and say, "you either want to be here or you don't,". And be ready to walk away. You don't let anyone hold up the team. 

That has nothing to do with his agent.

Archived