Sources: Muhammad Wilkerson might not report to Jets training camp

F.Chowds

While Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract impasse has dominated the headlines, theNew York Jets could have an ugly situation developing on the other side of the ball with Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

Unhappy that he still doesn't have a long-term contract, Wilkerson won't sign his franchise-tag tender anytime soon and might not report for the start of training camp in late July, sources said Monday.

Wilkerson will skip the team's mandatory minicamp, which begins Tuesday. Because he hasn't signed his tender, he can't be fined for not participating in the three-day event.

He is still rehabbing a surgically repaired broken leg, sustained in the final game of the season, so he wouldn't have been able to practice anyway in minicamp. His absence will shock no one in the organization, but the tenor will change if he decides to stay away from training camp.

Wilkerson is upset because other defensive linemen have received lucrative contracts this offseason. The latest is Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackleFletcher Cox, who signed a six-year extension late Monday afternoon.

Cox's deal is worth $103 million, including $63 million in guarantees, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. It's the biggest guarantee for a non-quarterback in NFL history.

Wilkerson believes he's worth at least that amount, but the Jets apparently aren't willing to pay anywhere close to that.

By rule, teams have until July 15 to sign franchised-tagged players to long-term contracts. Failing a new deal, the player must play for his one-year tender. In Wilkerson's case, it would be $15.7 million.

Unless he signs his tender, Wilkerson can't be fined for not reporting to training camp because, technically, he wouldn't be under contract. For Wilkerson, who has skipped the voluntary portion of the past two offseasons, a no-show in training camp would be his loudest statement.

The Jets have been saying for two years, going back to the previous regime, that they'd like to re-sign Wilkerson, but they've made no progress in negotiations. They were open to trading him before the past two drafts but found no serious suitors. They haven't ruled out the possibility of tagging him again next year, which would be $18.8 million.

Wilkerson has been rehabbing privately at the Jets' facility in recent weeks. The 26-year-old lineman led the team with 12 sacks last season, a career high.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the extra cap room next year, I actually believe they will tag Wilkerson again next year, whether or not he plays next year will probably depend. If they get a good offer, they'll do it. If not, he'll play again for us and we will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. 2 extra years of Mo and a 3rd? I'll take that. 

10 minutes ago, jett said:

With the extra cap room next year, I actually believe they will tag Wilkerson again next year, whether or not he plays next year will probably depend. If they get a good offer, they'll do it. If not, he'll play again for us and we will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. 2 extra years of Mo and a 3rd? I'll take that. 

We won't have THAT much cap. A decent amount. In the 20's.. but 16 mill would knock more than half of it out.

POS 

He wants a contract that will cost the Jets one of the many FA franchise QBs. Do not negotiate with terrorists, Woody!

Why is he a POS?

He is a top 3 DLineman in the NFL in the prime of his career looking for a longterm contract.

Jets should have wrapped him up last year when they had all the money to do so.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

What free agent QB will be available thats a franchise QB? 

None. If the Dolphins locked Tannehill up best believe any team with do anything to keep a QB with average or higher ability. The Colts know better... and that has to be the only franchise he is speaking on because there isn't another QB of that caliber currently not locked into a 6 year extension.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We won't have THAT much cap. A decent amount. In the 20's.. but 16 mill would knock more than half of it out.

Hmmmm really?? I kept reading we would have somewhere between 40-60 million 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Overthecap.com projected us around 21 mill. I could be wrong.

Yup just went and checked. At this point the only way I'd be ok with tagging him again is if they definitely move him then. 

Does anyone know what happens if Mo sits out the entire year?  Do the Jets lose their exclusive rights in 2017 if Mo sits out all of 2016?  I realize there's no logical way a guy can walk away from $15+ million, but he has to realize that no team will trade for him and the Jets will never pay him what he feels he deserves.  

3 minutes ago, jett said:

Yup just went and checked. At this point the only way I'd be ok with tagging him again is if they definitely move him then. 

Exactly. Try to get something for him. Maybe Macc drops his price from a 1st round to 2nd and then some.. similar to the Jones trade. 21 is probably going to be used to upgrade the line more thoroughly and having Leonard Williams with two years under his belt and signing Richardson sounds better than being cap strapped and keeping Mo another year.

I have no problem with Mo wanting a contract that he does deserve. He's worth about as much as Cox. But he definitely needs to understand he won't be getting it here, I'm sure his agent has told him about our cap space. So he needs to just play ball, sign his tender and play it out. Stop pulling a Revis. You will get a deal, with another team. You're only making yourself look bad here. I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but you have to realize the Jets aren't going to be the one to give it to you. So stop acting like a baby 

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

... but he has to realize that no team will trade for him and the Jets will never pay him what he feels he deserves.  

If Sheldon messes up again, it's possible.  Otherwise it seems like the Jets are keeping him around as a luxury until some other team will offer up something decent.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Exactly. Try to get something for him. Maybe Macc drops his price from a 1st round to 2nd and then some.. similar to the Jones trade. 21 is probably going to be used to upgrade the line more thoroughly and having Leonard Williams with two years under his belt and signing Richardson sounds better than being cap strapped and keeping Mo another year.

I am all for this approach.  You could even use that 2nd for another dline man if they so choose. Although I do like the 2 guy they brought in from free agency. I didn't think they's get a first rounder for him before he broke his leg. Jets didn't really have much leverage with every team knowing they want to move him. I'll gladly take a 2nd and conditional 5th that would most likely become a 4th 

By rule, teams have until July 15 to sign franchised-tagged players to long-term contracts. Failing a new deal, the player must play for his one-year tender. In Wilkerson's case, it would be $15.7 million.

Unless he signs his tender, Wilkerson can't be fined for not reporting to training camp because, technically, he wouldn't be under contract. For Wilkerson, who has skipped the voluntary portion of the past two offseasons, a no-show in training camp would be his loudest statement.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why is he a POS?

He is a top 3 DLineman in the NFL in the prime of his career looking for a longterm contract.

Jets should have wrapped him up last year when they had all the money to do so.

He wants to rob the Jets of their opportunity to pay a franchise QB! Now we're in cap heck for all eternity of 2016! 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

It's my understanding that whenever @SenorGatoGato uses exclamation points or uses the term "heck," he's being sarcastic.  

You should put him on ignore. 

No he's cool I'm asking him a question but thanks for the suggestion. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

You're missing out on a damn knowledgable poster if you do, but bitches be bitches.

No bitch here who's the franchise QB.

16 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Geno Smith. How much is gonna demand after his breakout season...or Glennon

Chase Daniel is another one to look out for. They're all over the place, league is downright infested with QBs to pay - not that the Jets will ever have cap space again.

Archived