Marshall "Geno Really punched adversity in the face"

j4jets

5 hours ago, funaz said:

He doesn't sound too complementary. Gives him a back handed compliment references when he got decked, and then says generic next man up type stuff.

There is a reason no one in the locker room wants Geno to play.

Sent from mTalk

It's always going to sound generic until there is success on the field. 

Fans are always putting their feelings on the players in the locker room. Not one player on-or-off-record has said that they didn't want Geno starting...especially after the first 6 weeks. They simply had team success with Fitz last year and that hasn't worked out this year.

Fans don't want Geno to play. That's what it really is. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, j4jets said:

I wasn't referring to the past, I was referring to the Geno era. 

There is no Geno era. He has had a multitude of opportunities. He's a free agent after this year and he is not coming back. He's a bridge QB until Petty has more practices under his belt. 

The suck-up is in full swing...
"It's been amazing to see this guy grow and really punch adversity in the face," Marshall told reporters.
And..

GLENDALE, Ariz. — After the Jets lost 28-3 on Monday night at the Cardinals, Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall weighed in on backup quarterback Geno Smith telling ESPN before the game that he was "getting antsy" about not playing. Smith wound up replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick with 8:20 left in Monday's loss, but the Jets are sticking with Fitzpatrick (for now) as their starter. 

"If he didn't, then that's not the guy I would want to play with. You saw when he got in there [Monday], he threw the ball really well. He had control of the huddle. He did a tremendous job. Guys tried to rally around him. But unfortunately, there wasn't enough time." "Yeah, I mean, he should get antsy," Marshall said. "He's a competitor. He's a hell of a football player. We all understand the situation surrounding our team last year and this year. He wants to be in there. He should want to be in there.

Fitzpatrick was asked after the game what he thought about Smith's "antsy" comment. Fitzpatrick simply shrugged and said, "I don't know." 

Smith on Monday completed 4 of 6 passes for 31 yards and one interception. He played just one possession, and then the Cardinals ran out the clock. 

Marshall was asked why the 1-5 Jets — who have lost four straight games and destroyed their playoff chances — should stick with Fitzpatrick

"We can't waste our time on those type of what-ifs," Marshall said. "We can't point the finger at anyone. This is our problem, not one guy's problem."

What's he supposed to say?

You want him to trash Geno? Or maybe trash Bowles?

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's always going to sound generic until there is success on the field. 

Fans are always putting their feelings on the players in the locker room. Not one player on-or-off-record has said that they didn't want Geno starting...especially after the first 6 weeks. They simply had team success with Fitz last year and that hasn't worked out this year.

Fans don't want Geno to play. That's what it really is. 

Not sure that Bowles' "Petty is not ready....YET" comment indicates any real enthusiasm for Geno either.  Geno is fit and Geno is not Fitz which makes him the guy.....

This week.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Not sure that Bowles' "Petty is not ready....YET" comment indicates any real enthusiasm for Geno either.  Geno is fit and Geno is not Fitz which makes him the guy.....

This week.

That's all conjecture. What we do know is that Fitz isnt the guy and neither is Petty (at the moment) because Petty could have surely moved up the pecking order but instead he's still the #3 while Fitz "in all his terribleness" is the #2 and Geno is now the #1. 

Hopefully Petty can jump over Fitz now that he's back on the practice field. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is no Geno era. He has had a multitude of opportunities. He's a free agent after this year and he is not coming back. He's a bridge QB until Petty has more practices under his belt. 

raw

So i only saw the first quote from marshall about punching adversity in the face and immediately thought of FF implications.  I could honestly see geno not throwing him the ball this week.

good news is i have:

A. Robinson

A. Cooper

D. Baldwin to step in at Flex

9 minutes ago, j4jets said:

For a second I thought you meant Bowles. 

I'm assuming you must be 20 years old if you read my original post and thought I was referring to Bowles. And I don't mean that as an insult. Anyone alive during 95-96 would know the real meaning of this franchise bottoming out.

24 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

I'm assuming you must be 20 years old if you read my original post and thought I was referring to Bowles. And I don't mean that as an insult. Anyone alive during 95-96 would know the real meaning of this franchise bottoming out.

Not 20. Wish I was. I just thought you were referring to the Rex era bottoming out and bringing us Bowles. 

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

LOL, obviously it does since you gave YOURSELF a positive rep to counter it. LOL, gotta keep up that rep!

Not really. I just don't like seeing my post with a -1 rep. Don't care about the overall reps. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's all conjecture. What we do know is that Fitz isnt the guy and neither is Petty (at the moment) because Petty could have surely moved up the pecking order but instead he's still the #3 while Fitz "in all his terribleness" is the #2 and Geno is now the #1. 

Hopefully Petty can jump over Fitz now that he's back on the practice field. 

I don't know. I think this is just the way Bowles does things. He isn't a strong enough leader to just say, "Well this is what I'm doing," and bump Petty up. Meanwhile, they liked Petty enough to keep him on the active roster. As a 3rd stringer, it would have been easy to IR him. Keeping him suggests he thinks it reasonable to put Petty on the field this year.

That, and he (correctly or incorrectly) believes they'll win more games with Geno than with Petty. In the end, if a HC doesn't make the playoffs he's judged by his team's record. 3 wins instead of 6 may sound good to fans who have accepted a poor end result either way, and that higher picks are more valuable than lower picks come April. But 3 wins in stead of 6 is bad for Bowles. The team finishes 6-10 and he's still got an overall .500 record. They finish 3-13 (or whatever) and the Jets would have to win their first 6 games of the 2017 season just to get him back to that same .500 record (actually the first 7 straight to remain at or above it). 

Even if Smith gets hot and goes on a decent run, I can't believe the Jets would be his first choice as a FA in March, and absent being basically the best QB in the league over the last 10 games I don't see the Jets franchise tagging him.

2 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

LOL, yeah, sure, that is why you pos rep yourself, who does that? You are very sensitive, do you need a hug?

says a guy who's all about giving out neg reps. You must feel powerful. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know. I think this is just the way Bowles does things. He isn't a strong enough leader to just say, "Well this is what I'm doing," and bump Petty up. Meanwhile, they liked Petty enough to keep him on the active roster. As a 3rd stringer, it would have been easy to IR him. Keeping him suggests he thinks it reasonable to put Petty on the field this year.

That, and he (correctly or incorrectly) believes they'll win more games with Geno than with Petty. In the end, if a HC doesn't make the playoffs he's judged by his team's record. 3 wins instead of 6 may sound good to fans who have accepted a poor end result either way, and that higher picks are more valuable than lower picks come April. But 3 wins in stead of 6 is bad for Bowles. The team finishes 6-10 and he's still got an overall .500 record. They finish 3-13 (or whatever) and the Jets would have to win their first 6 games of the 2017 season just to get him back to that same .500 record (actually the first 7 straight to remain at or above it). 

Even if Smith gets hot and goes on a decent run, I can't believe the Jets would be his first choice as a FA in March, and absent being basically the best QB in the league over the last 10 games I don't see the Jets franchise tagging him.

Im not even sure if that was a Bowles move. If im correct (I could very well be wrong) Macc establishes the roster and Bowles establishes the starters from the roster. Of course they speak to one another but I think the way the roster shakes out is a decision of Macc. 

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Not 20. Wish I was. I just thought you were referring to the Rex era bottoming out and bringing us Bowles. 

To me the Rex era coming to an end was more akin to the end of the Walton era. Both had very fast starts, showed some promise, but ultimately both proved to be lackluster HCs. Another striking similarity is that after both were fired, new GMs & HCs were hired but you didn't / don't get a sense of a true culture change, just plug new pieces in but conduct business as usual. Mediocrity was / is allowed to fester long after it took hold. But neither's end was rock-bottom for the program.

It wasn't until that 4-28 stretch under Kotite that the Jets organization seemed to finally take a long look at themselves in the mirror and came to the realization that their entire operation was bush league at best. The events leading to that moment of clarity was rock-bottom to me (remember Kotite's sad-sack resignation press conference?). They finally did something significant to fix that by hiring a real football man, and we saw a true culture change for once with this damn team. 

Not saying Bowles is Kotite, coincidentally his tenure is reminding me a lot like Walton's replacement, Bruce Coslet. Let's just hope the organization wakes up before we have to go through Kotite 2.0

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not even sure if that was a Bowles move. If im correct (I could very well be wrong) Macc establishes the roster and Bowles establishes the starters from the roster. Of course they speak to one another but I think the way the roster shakes out is a decision of Macc. 

No doubt, but what I was saying had nothing to do with this year's roster. Maccagnan doesn't determine who's 2nd/3rd string. If Bowles wanted to play Petty over Geno he would. If he was hell-bent on never playing Geno, then Maccagnan wouldn't re-sign him in the offseason,.

Next year's roster I'm pretty sure they're both on the same page with regards to which of the 4 is returning and which isn't (and we've likely all guessed correctly ourselves). Also if Bowles really wants someone, it appears Maccagnan - while not necessarily deferring to Bowles - has almost certainly been obliging his HC (Lee, Cromartie, probably Skrine &/or Gilchrist, keeping Sheldon for starters). 

I think it's a combination of all of the following:

• he has to bench Fitz because he already got crucified for leaving him in as long as he has
  • he believes Petty will be a more likely loss than Geno, at least if he's put in right now, and he has understandable concerns about his own cumulative W/L record as a HC now that 2015's love-fest is over.
  • he may be worried about the optics of skipping over Geno, and going straight to Petty, when he finally benches Fitzpatrick
  • Petty may simply not be ready to insert this week and, again, he feels he can no longer delay benching Fitz long enough to wait.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt, but what I was saying had nothing to do with this year's roster. Maccagnan doesn't determine who's 2nd/3rd string. If Bowles wanted to play Petty over Geno he would. If he was hell-bent on never playing Geno, then Maccagnan wouldn't re-sign him in the offseason,.

Next year's roster I'm pretty sure they're both on the same page with regards to which of the 4 is returning and which isn't (and we've likely all guessed correctly ourselves). Also if Bowles really wants someone, it appears Maccagnan - while not necessarily deferring to Bowles - has almost certainly been obliging his HC (Lee, Cromartie, probably Skrine &/or Gilchrist, keeping Sheldon for starters). 

I think it's a combination of all of the following:

• he has to bench Fitz because he already got crucified for leaving him in as long as he has
  • he believes Petty will be a more likely loss than Geno, at least if he's put in right now, and he has understandable concerns about his own cumulative W/L record as a HC now that 2015's love-fest is over.
  • he may be worried about the optics of skipping over Geno, and going straight to Petty, when he finally benches Fitzpatrick
  • Petty may simply not be ready to insert this week and, again, he feels he can no longer delay benching Fitz long enough to wait.

Good point. 

Archived