The 2017-2018 New York Rangers Thread

Bombdirt

Might as well start up a new thread instead of necroing the other one. Bagging Shattenkirk at a discount is a good start to the Rangers' free agency. Still some more holes to fill, though--a center would be nice. 

220px-Kevin_Shattenkirk_2014-03-23.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the ship has been stabilized to some degree.  .500 as of the result last night against Columbus.  I remember the super-fast start last year so I don't hold a lot of faith in early season results being as good indicator of post-season success.

On the other hand it would be nice if we did not feel the need to spot the other team a couple of goals head start in the games.

PP is looking good early.

Finally got on a streak, and it starts with good goaltending.  Never blame your equipment, but Hank said he changed masks for Halloween (when streak started) and he can see better because the inside of the bars were sanded down to a gray while with his prior mask the inside was white and had a glare.  Don't know if that's the reason for the improvement, but hey, whatever works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've only been able to see a handful of games this year, but I caught tonight's Caps matchup. Really fun to watch, but extremely frustrating seeing the Rangers come away with nothing from so many quality chances. Nash played really well, though it doesn't show on the stat sheet. 

Also, am I stupid for thinking Hayes has the potential to step forward and be a big star? I see him making some amazing plays here and there; I keep waiting for him to break out and dominate but it doesn't happen. 

The Winter Classic was pretty good, despite watching the Rangers give up a two-goal lead. I've been whining about their power play numbers for a few seasons now, and it was nice to see them get a victory with an overtime PPG. 

The camera angles were weird as hell to me, though, especially in the first period with all the shadows going on. It was kind of hard to watch at the beginning but it got better as the game went on. 

J.T.-Miller.jpg

Ugh. I just saw this today. We've probably got at least two Kreider-less months ahead. 

Nine days after being diagnosed with a blood clot in his right arm, the Rangers announced Friday that left wing Chris Kreider will undergo a rib resection surgery to address the issue. Kreider remains out indefinitely. He was not having the surgery Friday.

Kreider was removed from a Dec. 27 game against the Capitals after the first period when the swelling and discomfort he began feeling before the game worsened. He was immediately taken to a hospital, where the clot was diagnosed.

The 26-year-old has 11 goals and 11 assists in 37 games after leading the team last season with 28 goals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2018/02/20/rangers-fire-sale-begins-with-nick-holden/

Rangers’ fire sale begins with Nick Holden

February 20, 2018 | 12:34pm

So it begins.

Nick Holden was the first Ranger shipped off before Monday’s trade deadline, heading to Boston in exchange for defenseman Rob O’Gara and a third-round pick in this year’s draft, the team announced.

Holden, a defenseman who will be a free agent after the year, has played in 55 games this season, his second with the team since coming over from Colorado after the 2016 season.

O’Gara, a 24-year-old Massapequa native, has played in eight games this year for the Bruins.

The Rangers, in last in the Metropolitan Division, announced on Feb. 8 they would be selling at the deadline to rebuild for the future.

Any thoughts on the Rangers trades yesterday?  I was surprised they didn't also trade Zucc considering they traded basically all the other vets off.  I've heard mixed reviews on the guys we got for McDonagh.  Apparently we didn't get any of Tampa's top 2-3 prospects but Larry Brooks wrote today that a scout really liked the prospects we got.

Also - anyone know if this draft is considered to be a deep draft?  The Rangers have like 3 #1's, and I think a couple of #2s and #3s as well.   As important as this offseason is to the Jets, it's probably twice as important to the Rangers.

Trades that needed to be made.  Reportedly, Hajek is the real jewel in all this because although Rangers picked up a boatload of picks, there'll all likely to be in the second half of the first round.  Regardless, this is a good rebuilding plan. 

I am wondering about Hank.  He did mention he wanted to stay during a rebuild, but you have to wonder about his diminishing skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welp, AV is gone. I didn't mind him as a coach, but I can't say I'm surprised. The Rangers have fallen a long way since his first year. This means the team is going to be rebuilding (a.k.a. "sucking") for a few seasons. 

Fun fact: Since New York waited until the end of the year to fire AV, this marks the first time since 1970-71 that no NHL head coach was fired during the season. 

Archived