Ok here is question..

4HCrew

With all of the hoopla and high fives being thrown around, here is a question..where is the pass rush coming from? No matter what you think, J Abe was the pass rush for the Jets. I can see why the move was made but now I hope everyone realizes the actual impact on the pass defense. The Jets now need to find ways to get a serious pass rush or the average to less than average secondary will be more exposed than ever. The money and draft picks better be spent wisely upgrading this defense

With all of the hoopla and high fives being thrown around, here is a question..where is the pass rush coming from? No matter what you think, J Abe was the pass rush for the Jets. I can see why the move was made but now I hope everyone realizes the actual impact on the pass defense. The Jets now need to find ways to get a serious pass rush or the average to less than average secondary will be more exposed than ever. The money and draft picks better be spent wisely upgrading this defense

When you move to the 3-4 you expect a lot of LB's and S blitzies so you've gotta believe Barton will be coming, Ryans or Greenway if we can somehow nab one of them, maybe Rhodes comes on some blitzies? Time will tell.

The hope has to be that the pressure will come from schemes.

In the new perfect world of the Jets, you allow the coaching to develop mismatches through schemes and become less reliant on the physical prowess of players on 1-on-1 matchups alone.

That being said, you still need players. Do you need superstars? Hopefully not. We have to be more reliant on coaches putting players in positions to succeed. That was part of the sell job here.

I agree with most of the responses here..let's face it, we were a one demensional passing rushing line with Abe...we'll have a lot of packages mixed in here...you can bet the farm on that. And who knows, we may get some gem in the draft that will answer all these questions. The offseason is still young...plans are being drawn up as we speak.

Well if they draft super mario, then you have your answer. Mangini will bring pressure from multiple places. We still have Ellis and THomas and we will have a more balanced line over all. If Abe was a full time player we would never had traded him.

I don't see Thomas having a spot here, unless he becomes a standup OLB in the 3-4. He is not a classic 3-4 DE.

Good point. However, new coaching staff & defensive scheme means players like Bryan Thomas may be more effective. He did well when filling in for Abe at the end of 2004 & in the playoffs. Plus let's face it, if Abe isn't playing for a contract, he's usually not playing, literally.

Good point. However, new coaching staff & defensive scheme means players like Bryan Thomas may be more effective. He did well when filling in for Abe at the end of 2004 & in the playoffs. Plus let's face it, if Abe isn't playing for a contract, he's usually not playing, literally.

yea, sort of like his buddy Ellis, or Fergy, or just about every other guy in the league

Good point. However, new coaching staff & defensive scheme means players like Bryan Thomas may be more effective.

You do not need to have one player who is a monster pass rusher to have an effective defense that puts pressure on the QB.

Next year it will be all about different schemes, and not individual players.

Look at the Pats last year. One play it's Colvin coming off the edge, next play it was Vrabel up the middle and the next it was Seymour off the end.

I have a funny feeling Bryan Thomas will have a monster year. The guy is very flexible and seems to be a very good fit for a Mangini defense.

You do not need to have one player who is a monster pass rusher to have an effective defense that puts pressure on the QB.

Next year it will be all about different schemes, and not individual players.

Look at the Pats last year. One play it's Colvin coming off the edge, next play it was Vrabel up the middle and the next it was Seymour off the end.

I have a funny feeling Bryan Thomas will have a monster year. The guy is very flexible and seems to be a very good fit for a Mangini defense.

Which sounds good but the PATS were not much of a QB sack team in 05.

Which sounds good but the PATS were not much of a QB sack team in 05.

I agree, but in the overall scheme of things, sacks are not that important.

It's all about putting pressure on the QB to limit his progression reads, throw sooner than he wants and force him into mistakes.

Well if they draft super mario, then you have your answer. Mangini will bring pressure from multiple places. We still have Ellis and THomas and we will have a more balanced line over all. If Abe was a full time player we would never had traded him.

Bravo!!! This is the man that i want!!!

I agree, but in the overall scheme of things, sacks are not that important.

It's all about putting pressure on the QB to limit his progression reads, throw sooner than he wants and force him into mistakes.

Which unfortunately did not result in the defense shutting down the opponents passing game either. The PATS were great run stuffers down the stretch but the verdict is still out on whether their secondary/pass rush combo can get the job done.

Which unfortunately did not result in the defense shutting down the opponents passing game either. The PATS were great run stuffers down the stretch but the verdict is still out on whether their secondary/pass rush combo can get the job done.

I agree with you.

I thought Samuel and Hobbs played very well at the corners, particulary down the stretch.

Unfortunately, the loss of Harrison in the middle exposed a huge weakness.

Look at all the big passing plays against the Pats last season. The vast majority of them took place over the middle in the medium to deep seam.

And keep in mind, Eugene Wilson stunk up the joint last year.

I agree with you.

I thought Samuel and Hobbs played very well at the corners, particulary down the stretch.

Unfortunately, the loss of Harrison in the middle exposed a huge weakness.

Look at all the big passing plays against the Pats last season. The vast majority of them took place over the middle in the medium to deep seam.

And keep in mind, Eugene Wilson stunk up the joint last year.

yea but you had that big FA signing, what was his name??? Oh yea, DUANE STARKS...sorry, couldn't help myself

I can understand your trepidation. Let's not kid ourselves and think the Jets are going to contend next year. Mangini realizes this and that is why in the next few years all our holes will hopefully be filled. I believe Tann/Mangini are putting in place a foundation that will last years. Like the Patriots formula. This is what I think should happen:

1. Jets will trade their #4 to the vikings for their #17, #48. We will have 17,29,35,48

2. We will draft: Chad Greenway, Gabe Watson, Max Gene Gilles, Maurice Stovall

3. We will not draft a QB this year. Ramsey will be stop gap.

4. Next year The Jets will go hard after Schaub. Will make an offer that the Falcons will not match. If that fails. Then I can see them going after Quinn in the draft. Chances are they will have another 4-12 season so getting him in the draft is a possibility

Let me make an analogy, it's like getting rid of Dave Kingman and then asking where the homeruns are going to come from. The answer is, they will come from somewhere and his sacks didn't get us into the Super Bowl anyway. The hope is that he will be replaced by a better all around player who better fits our system.

It is WAY too premature to talk about where we will get pressure from. Tx brings up an excellent example of how the Pats did it. You can also look at the Steelers, and Cowboys and how they did it as well. The Steelers top 2 sack artists (Haggan, 9 and Porter, 10.5) were drafted 5A and 3 respectivly. Other than those two players no other Steeler had more than 3.5 sacks. But Pitt had 15 players with at least one sack. The 04 Jets defense by contrast had 9 players with at least one sack. The Jets will get pressure from everywhere they will design schemes that fool the offense and offensive line as to where the pressure is coming from and they will bring in fresh legs in the 4th quarter to execute it. I'm not worried with this at all. Jets will grab some LB's and already have some on the roster that will get sacks. Just a hunch but I like the chances of McClover playing that Joey Porter role. And I like what Bryan Thomas can do. I think Thomas will play a McGinest type role effectively. Just a hunch though. I'm just not concerned with this at all. jmo though.

Archived