Chris Long may not be good fit for us

nylandingstrip

i read on Jets confidential that Chris said he isn't big enough for the 3-4, weighing into the combine at 272. Gholston weighed in at even less than that which makes me feel like we may have to go after DMC if hes there (and if hes there were takin him no matter what) or possible sedrick ellis. check out the blog as well. the link is in ths sig. thanks alot.

i read on Jets confidential that Chris said he isn't big enough for the 3-4, weighing into the combine at 272. Gholston weighed in at even less than that which makes me feel like we may have to go after DMC if hes there (and if hes there were takin him no matter what) or possible sedrick ellis. check out the blog as well. the link is in ths sig. thanks alot.

FWIW, I never saw Long as a 3-4 DE for the Jets. If he gets drafted into a 3-4 he will play LB, either OLB or ILB. IMO. This motor thing makes me apprehensive going up against huge offensive lineman and double teams.

Exactly my point. We need him as the ILB/MLB. He has enough upper streingth & speed to fit the mode as both a Pass Rush & run killer. He is the perfect fit - Jets Confidential is wrong.

Look, they are the same one's who think that every year we need to take a Running Back - Even when we got Thomas Jones Last Year!

Exactly my point. We need him as the ILB/MLB. He has enough upper streingth & speed to fit the mode as both a Pass Rush & run killer. He is the perfect fit - Jets Confidential is wrong.

Look, they are the same one's who think that every year we need to take a Running Back - Even when we got Thomas Jones Last Year!

Further proof that IQ tests should be a requirement when signing up for this board.:confused0058:

Further proof that IQ tests should be a requirement when signing up for this board.:confused0058:

Haha seriously. By the way, chris long absolutely killed the combine today as well as gholston. Chris long weighed in at 272 and ran a 4.71 and looked absolutely amazing in the drills and his change of direction looked fantastic. Gholston looked great as well and ran a 4.64 roughly. Long is a bit better in run support and has a higher motor so that should probably have him rated a tad higher, but gholston's potential is unreal. Groves came in the mid 4.5s.

i read on Jets confidential that Chris said he isn't big enough for the 3-4, weighing into the combine at 272

My advice to you is don't read stuff from Jets confidential. How and why in the hell would Chris Long say that when all he knows is the 3-4 because it's all he's played in college.

I think you might have misread the article because go have a look around the league. Luis Castillo from the Chargers is a 3-4 DE and one of the best 3-4 ends in the league. He's 278! ... NOW, as a 3-4 edge rusher the guy has the prototypical size and freakish ability to be a hoss off the edge.

Another reason I don't believe this crap is that the Dolphins actually run a multiple D and with Parcells coming aboard and him going after the Cowboys D coordinator they will probably lean towards the 3-4. So Chris long saying that makes NO *****IN SENSE!

And just from the way the guy is he doesn't care about that crap. All he wants to do is play football.

Until I see a quote or something confidential is a bum site full of hoopla and utter stupidity.

My advice to you is don't read stuff from Jets confidential. How and why in the hell would Chris Long say that when all he knows is the 3-4 because it's all he's played in college.

I think you might have misread the article because go have a look around the league. Luis Castillo from the Chargers is a 3-4 DE and one of the best 3-4 ends in the league. He's 278! ... NOW, as a 3-4 edge rusher the guy has the prototypical size and freakish ability to be a hoss off the edge.

Another reason I don't believe this crap is that the Dolphins actually run a multiple D and with Parcells coming aboard and him going after the Cowboys D coordinator they will probably lean towards the 3-4. So Chris long saying that makes NO *****IN SENSE!

And just from the way the guy is he doesn't care about that crap. All he wants to do is play football.

Until I see a quote or something confidential is a bum site full of hoopla and utter stupidity.

Especially with the draft coming up! Why would he drop his stock?

Chris long is going to play OLB in a 34 but will line up as a 43 DE if they run a hybrid, he will be basically a jason taylor. Long ran a 4.71, but looked absolutely amazing during all of his drills, more fluid than a lot of linebackers. He has absolutely tremendous athleticism and will make a great OLB.

For those of you who didn't see the combine today, both him and gholston looked better in drills than almost all of the linebackers, granted keith rivers wasn't participating because of an injury, but they looked amazing.

If chris long made it out of the top 5 there is no way in HELL he would make it out of the top 6..6 of course being us.

I remain adament that Gholston should be our pick, but that was only because i figured chris long was going to go #1 or #2 overall. I beleive gholston has a tremendous upside and is more powerfull, but i was a bit off when talking about Long's upside. I knew he was an athlete and would put up good agility and speed numbers, but had no idea he would blow it up like this.

The biggest thing that I noticed a lot of people did, myself included, was say that chris long was a super high motor guy with great technique and intangibles, but than relented to say he didn't have the upside of a gholston or groves. Well, this combine showed how great of an athlete he is. Just watch his hip fluidity and closeout speed from the combine drills, pretty impressive:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806e11ee

(Found these numbers a guy posted on another site)

Chris Long: Didn't get official height, but he weighed in at 272

Vernon Gholston: Didn't get official weigh in but i beleive it was 264?

Bench Press: Long didn't lift due to hand injury - Gholston did 37

Forty: Long 4.71 (good for 7th best i beleive) Gholston ran a 4.67.

Vertical Leap: 3 4", 3rd best for DE's. Gholston was #1 with 35.5"

Broad Jump: 10'4", 2nd best for DE's. Gholston was #1 with 10'5"

3 cone drill: 7.02, 4th best for DE's, Gholston was slower with a time of 7.12

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.21, best for DE's, Gholston ran 4.40

If chris long made it out of the top 5 there is no way in HELL he would make it out of the top 6..6 of course being us.

I remain adament that Gholston should be our pick, but that was only because i figured chris long was going to go #1 or #2 overall. I beleive gholston has a tremendous upside and is more powerfull, but i was a bit off when talking about Long's upside. I knew he was an athlete and would put up good agility and speed numbers, but had no idea he would blow it up like this.

The biggest thing that I noticed a lot of people did, myself included, was say that chris long was a super high motor guy with great technique and intangibles, but than relented to say he didn't have the upside of a gholston or groves. Well, this combine showed how great of an athlete he is. Just watch his hip fluidity and closeout speed from the combine drills, pretty impressive:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806e11ee

(Found these numbers a guy posted on another site)

Chris Long: Didn't get official height, but he weighed in at 272

Vernon Gholston: Didn't get official weigh in but i beleive it was 264?

Bench Press: Long didn't lift due to hand injury - Gholston did 37

Forty: Long 4.71 (good for 7th best i beleive) Gholston ran a 4.67.

Vertical Leap: 3 4", 3rd best for DE's. Gholston was #1 with 35.5"

Broad Jump: 10'4", 2nd best for DE's. Gholston was #1 with 10'5"

3 cone drill: 7.02, 4th best for DE's, Gholston was slower with a time of 7.12

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.21, best for DE's, Gholston ran 4.40

Gholston is a Beast! And if we don't take him, you know who will. And we're gonna have to deal with him for 10-15yrs!!:ahhh:

Gholston is a Beast! And if we don't take him, you know who will. And we're gonna have to deal with him for 10-15yrs!!:ahhh:

Gholston is 100% definately a beast and I don't see how both fall to us, but it wouldn't be a bad problem to have. After a combine like they had, I hope one of them falls to us and St. Louis doesn't do something stupid and take one. Man i would kill to have either one as a jet.

Castillo is now listed at 290 and was a DT - an interior lineman - at Northwestern. At the combine he weighed 303 from what I'm looking at now. Where on earth do you get that he weighs 278 and refer to him - of all things - an edge rusher?

They aren't remotely the same player. Which explains why it looks like it makes no sense to you.

Castillo is now listed at 290 and was a DT - an interior lineman - at Northwestern. At the combine he weighed 303 from what I'm looking at now. Where on earth do you get that he weighs 278 and refer to him - of all things - an edge rusher?

They aren't remotely the same player. Which explains why it looks like it makes no sense to you.

I said Castillo is an end. Then I went on to note about Chris Long being an edge rusher . Perhaps I never made myself clear enough and my bad. However coming out he was 278.

Other notables around the league from other 3-4 DE's

Brett Keisel- 285 -Steelers

Melila Purcell- 285- Browns

Chase Pittman- 275- Browns

Marcus Smith- 288 Cowboys

To name a few. So the bottom line here is a lot of people get too hung up on size. Their is a trend here that teams take good prospects regardless of size. Also, Chris coming out and publicly stating he doesn't want to be drafted by a 3-4 team is down right asinine. When thats all he knows because he played a hybrid 3-4 DE for UVA for 4 years.

Bottom line is Chris Long would be a good fit for us and would definitely become the face of the franchise for years and years to come. Unfortunately with his freakishly insane combine the Stinky Fish will probably get him and I can't see the Rams not selecting him if the Fish don't.

My initial analysis on Castillo might be off about 5-8 pounds coming out but the point is he can play as can Chris Long. If he slaps on 10 pounds he'll 288 and ready to go.

I just can't understand anyone that doesn't want this guy.

I said Castillo is an end. Then I went on to note about Chris Long being an edge rusher . Perhaps I never made myself clear enough and my bad. However coming out he was 278.

Other notables around the league from other 3-4 DE's

Brett Keisel- 285 -Steelers

Melila Purcell- 285- Browns

Chase Pittman- 275- Browns

Marcus Smith- 288 Cowboys

To name a few. So the bottom line here is a lot of people get too hung up on size. Their is a trend here that teams take good prospects regardless of size. Also, Chris coming out and publicly stating he doesn't want to be drafted by a 3-4 team is down right asinine. When thats all he knows because he played a hybrid 3-4 DE for UVA for 4 years.

Bottom line is Chris Long would be a good fit for us and would definitely become the face of the franchise for years and years to come. Unfortunately with his freakishly insane combine the Stinky Fish will probably get him and I can't see the Rams not selecting him if the Fish don't.

My initial analysis on Castillo might be off about 5-8 pounds coming out but the point is he can play as can Chris Long. If he slaps on 10 pounds he'll 288 and ready to go.

I just can't understand anyone that doesn't want this guy.

At 272 lbs, he's a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB. You don't plump someone up to an unnatural weight just to say he's heavy enough now. Herm did that with Ellis, ballooning him up "only" 10 lbs to 295 so he could play interior on the D-line. A total blunder.

Look up Castillo's combine numbers. He was listed at 303 lbs when the Chargers drafted him: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=8357&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft05%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d8357

He dropped down to 290 after that.

If you're going to go all "face of the franchise" on me, then I have no response going forward. I can't imagine anything less important unless you sell jerseys for a living.

At 272 lbs, he's a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB. You don't plump someone up to an unnatural weight just to say he's heavy enough now. Herm did that with Ellis, ballooning him up "only" 10 lbs to 295 so he could play interior on the D-line. A total blunder.

Look up Castillo's combine numbers. He was listed at 303 lbs when the Chargers drafted him: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=8357&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft05%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d8357

He dropped down to 290 after that.

If you're going to go all "face of the franchise" on me, then I have no response going forward. I can't imagine anything less important unless you sell jerseys for a living.

Oh please!! Typical moron Jet fan response. It's not about jersey sales simpleton, what I'm saying is a face of the franchise, you know like Curtis Martin was or maybe like how Howie was when he played for the raiders but I guess that means nothing to you. Perhaps your so used to not having an identity you've grown accustom to it. You're trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Like I said I was off on Castillo and you proved me wrong. Would you like a hero cookie?

The underlining factor here is size, and people put to much stock into it. If we were to draft Chris Long which we WOULD if he was available he'd play 3-4 olb/bandit end.

So please shower me with your lame sarcastic responses. If you want to talk big picture then fine but if your looking to nit pick on petty issues, I don't have the time.

Oh please!! Typical moron Jet fan response. It's not about jersey sales simpleton, what I'm saying is a face of the franchise, you know like Curtis Martin was or maybe like how Howie was when he played for the raiders but I guess that means nothing to you. Perhaps your so used to not having an identity you've grown accustom to it. You're trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Like I said I was off on Castillo and you proved me wrong. Would you like a hero cookie?

The underlining factor here is size, and people put to much stock into it. If we were to draft Chris Long which we WOULD if he was available he'd play 3-4 olb/bandit end.

So please shower me with your lame sarcastic responses. If you want to talk big picture then fine but if your looking to nit pick on petty issues, I don't have the time.

A hero cookie? Sounds interesting.

I know what team I root for without a poster of one of its players on the wall above my night-light. So yes, a "face of the franchise" means absolutely, 100% nothing to me. And Martin was the most overpaid RB in NFL history. Lot of good it did us.

Lastly, here at GayNation we like ookie-cookie, not a hero cookie. Ask anyone.

And welcome to the site. The name-calling is a not acceptable here, though.

I'm actually a mod on at nyjetsfan, however I enjoy coming over here periodically to read and catch a laugh or two. I'll make the odd reply from time to time and normally when I find people making brash and or asinine comments.

Perhaps you guys could do something with the PM spammers you have here.

This is what I received yesterday

Hi,I'm new here, how's it going?"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein---Jeannettehttp://www.freewebtown.com/kebesz

Like I said I like your site and if one day I've had enough of nyjetsfan.com I'd be here over ganggreen or insider. Max does a good job here. I mean no ill will be I can clearly tell you're a darksider. I can't stand darksiders :box:

Archived