Jets looking at Ryan Matthews, RB

Kentucky Jet

DRAFT TALK: Jets to look at Fresno State RB Matthews

Tony Pauline of SI.com and DraftInsider.net has learned that the New York Jets will be bringing running back Ryan Matthews of Fresno State to their facility for one of their official pre-draft visits.

Matthews, a junior, comes off a career season at Fresno State in which he rushed for 1808 yards and 19 touchdowns. Pauline, one of the premiere draft analysts in the nation, told JetsInsider.com that Matthews is one of the few complete backs in this draft; a strong ball carrier on the inside who also has the ability to turn the corner while also being an effective pass catcher out of the backfield.

Pauline projects Matthews as a potential late first round/early second round pick.

The Jets will take a look at Fresno State RB Ryan Matthews.

This is interesting as it was reported earlier this week the team will use another pre-draft visit on bringing in a different west coast running back, Toby Gerhart of Stanford.

Last month at the combine Matthews ran his forty in an electronic time of 4.45 seconds after weighing in at 218-pounds. His second attempt was slower but Pauline, who attends all the workouts, said Mathews slipped out of the start. His vertical jump was a solid 36-inches.

Pauline has told us other teams interested in Matthews are the St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers, who are both bringing him into their facility for an official visit. The New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers are individually working out Mathews in the coming weeks.

Be sure to check out all of Tony Pauline and his staff

Could be the Jets are up to something regarding Neon Leon. I found it very interesting that they brought in two RBs this week to look at.

yea it SEEMS that way but there hasn't even been a nibble on that line and until people SEE he is actually going to be OK why would there be...a 2nd round pick is valuable-especially with a supposedly loaded draft like this one is

yea it SEEMS that way but there hasn't even been a nibble on that line and until people SEE he is actually going to be OK why would there be...a 2nd round pick is valuable-especially with a supposedly loaded draft like this one is

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? LOL

Toby Gerhart, Private Workout for the Jets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ncos-Jets.html

Quote:

Stanford running back Toby Gerhart has been scheduled for private workouts with the Denver Broncos and the New York Jets, according to a league source.

Gerhart is set to work out for the Broncos on March 24 and the Jets on March 30.

Winning the Doak Walker award as the nation's top running back last season, Gerhart rushed for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Gerhart ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and also registered a 38-inch vertical leap.

The Heisman Trophy finalist also scored the highest Wonderlic score among the running backs with a 30 and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times.

"I

IDK KJ, I just can't see us using #29 on another RB when we have what we already have back

I agree. Jets have last year's 3rd rounder pencilled in to start. Drafting a kid higher this year (and paying him more) is a surefire way to disrupt team chemistry. And you don't draft a RB in the first round unless you plan to start him right away.

Could be the Jets feigning interest so that a team ahead of them takes the RB, allowing a player they actually covet to drop to them.

Could be the Jets are up to something regarding Neon Leon. I found it very interesting that they brought in two RBs this week to look at.

Even if Leon goes, there's no need to go 1st round this year for a RB with Greene and LT in the fold. I don't think they need to draft one at all.

While I don't actually expect us to do it, it never hurts to take a talented RB even high.

I think Matthews would out-feature Greene in the long run if he were to be on our roster. Greene's a one year college starter who got hurt in the biggest game of his life as a rookie...that's a red flag even if it's not a major red flag. I'm not against the idea of drafting a RB at all...Matthews is no worse an idea than drafting another OLB early or another CB early.

Matthews kind of reminds me of Donald Brown but a little bigger and stronger.

Ditto. He also runs with lots more power and intensity. It is interesting. I have us taking a DE or OLB with our first pick. This could be a smoke screen as someone suggested. But two rbs in private workouts? That opens my mind a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Back | Stanford | SR Toby Gerhart

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 231 | 40-Time: 4.55

Official Bio

Strengths:

Excellent size --- Naturally athletic with good agility and balance --- A tough, physical runner --- Powerful with a strong lower body --- Patient with good vision and instincts --- Terrific between the tackles --- Hits the hole hard --- Keeps his legs moving and pushes the pile --- Finishes runs and always falls forward --- Break a lot of tackles and is a load to bring down --- Impressive stiff arm --- Soft hands --- Good blocker with outstanding awareness --- Smart --- Hard worker --- Super productive.

Weaknesses:

'Tweener? --- Not real elusive and lacks wiggle --- Average speed and isn't very explosive --- Won't be a homerun threat in the pros --- Has trouble getting outside and turning the corner --- Runs too upright at times --- Must improve ball security --- Limited experience as a pass catcher --- 100 % committed to the gridiron ? --- Durability is a concern.

Notes:

Was a two-year starter for the Cardinal --- Also being evaluated as a fullback prospect --- Finished 2nd to Alabama's Mark Ingram in the 2009 Heisman Trophy balloting in the closest race (28 points) in the awards history --- Named 2nd Team All-Pac-10 in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Named the 2009 Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year --- Was a consensus 1st Team All-American in 2009 --- Recipient of the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back in 2009 --- Owns the Stanford all-time records for rushing yards and touchdowns --- Set the Pac-10 single-season touchdown record (28) in 2009 --- Was also a standout baseball player for Stanford and helped lead the Cardinal to the 2008 College World Series --- Missed almost the entire 2007 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee --- Battled a number of other injuries during his career but to his credit he was able to play through them --- Had the option of applying for a medical redshirt and returning to college in 2010 but chose to go pro --- A versatile weapon who could compete for a starting job as long as he can stay healthy but best fit may come in a complimentary / short-yardage / goaline role.

Career Statistics

Year GP ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS TD

2006 12 106 375 3.5 0 15 124 0

2007 1 12 140 11.7 1 0 0 0

2008 12 210 1,136 5.4 15 13 114 0

2009 13 343 1,871 5.5 28 11 157 0

Totals 38 671 3,522 5.2 44 39 395 0

IDK KJ, I just can't see us using #29 on another RB when we have what we already have back

In a run-first, run-second, run-third offense... it's merely a case of the rich getting richer.

Greene, Leon and LT are ALL injury risks. Frankly, I don't expect LT to be a viable option in 2011. That being the case, and the fact that it takes MOST running backs 1 year in the league to learn pass protection at the pro level... I can see us taking a RB in this draft for the same reasons we all want depth at other positions. The difference being, RB is the key to our offense.

The #1 reason talented rookie RBs don't get on the field is because they can't pick up the blitz. See Thomas Jones stealing Cedric Benson's job with the Bears.

Aside from all that, we have Greene who is pretty 1-dimensional, Leon who is also 1-dimensional... and now LT who is our "all-purpose" back. We need youth in that role... for the future.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? LOL

Toby Gerhart, Private Workout for the Jets

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ncos-Jets.html

Quote:

Stanford running back Toby Gerhart has been scheduled for private workouts with the Denver Broncos and the New York Jets, according to a league source.

Gerhart is set to work out for the Broncos on March 24 and the Jets on March 30.

Winning the Doak Walker award as the nation's top running back last season, Gerhart rushed for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Gerhart ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and also registered a 38-inch vertical leap.

The Heisman Trophy finalist also scored the highest Wonderlic score among the running backs with a 30 and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times.

"I

I dont understand the outrage of us going after a stud RB in the early rounds.....We are a running team and greene seems to get injured/tomlinson is a wildcard and i doubt he would be able to carry a full load/ washington is coming off a serious injury who knows how he will come out of it. Plus i mean really who would really miss Leon. We went to the AFC championship without him. I think he could be easily replaced. Sure hes a fan favorite but cmon take off the green glasses people.

We all know that in todays NFL teams no longer carry just 1 starting RB. That being said, when you look at our RB's we have a rookie who played half a season and was hurt and missed time in Greene, another coming back from a horrific injury which makes him a big ? as far as how much he lost in speed/burst, and another over 30y/o who is another ? and will be here 2 yrs tops.

I'd say RB is a big need for this team.

We all know that in todays NFL teams no longer carry just 1 starting RB. That being said, when you look at our RB's we have a rookie who played half a season and was hurt and missed time in Greene, another coming back from a horrific injury which makes him a big ? as far as how much he lost in speed/burst, and another over 30y/o who is another ? and will be here 2 yrs tops.

I'd say RB is a big need for this team.

You nailed it! I happen to think that LT can still be productive. but Greene does seem to have a body and a style that don't mix well. Why not draft a young stud with speed and power. As someone else said its a case of rhe rich getting richer. There is no guarantee that NEON LEON will be the same player he once was. Bring in the competition and let the best players gain roster spots! who wins that way? The TEAM does.

They wouldnt use the 29th pick for a RB but they'll certainly trade their 2nd and 4th rounders to move up in the 2nd round to get him if he slips to the 2nd round.

You know the Jets.

I agree. IMO pass rusher is a priority. But in rd 2 I can see a RB or WR. at 3 id want more defense. This is a deep draft. If we have a great draft and add that to Cromartie, LT and POOLE and who knows who else, I can see us making a substantial move towards the SB.

they could get a no body after the draft is over and he'd still get 5 ypc behind this OL.

Yeah, they could get a nobody and can get 4+ ypc with this line, but they wont do that. Reason being, they want a somebody who can break tackles at the final level for TD's. "Nobodies" will get tackled by safeties, "somebodies" (like a Shonn Greene) will break those tackles and will not get caught from behind.

In the end its about how many points you scored, not how many yards you ran.

I agree. IMO pass rusher is a priority. But in rd 2 I can see a RB or WR. at 3 id want more defense. This is a deep draft. If we have a great draft and add that to Cromartie, LT and POOLE and who knows who else, I can see us making a substantial move towards the SB.

I agree too. We've already had an upgrade at the #2 CB position, however, if we dont get pressure to the QB then eventually any WR will get open. We need that rusher to make our secondary even more relevant.

I dont mind drafting a RB, however, in the first it better be a rusher.....Im really hoping that we can get Brandon Graham. And we also need to draft a Safety as well. I dont know much about this Poole guy we got from Cleveland but I heard that he's very good but has concussion issues, so that means that he wont be playing up on the line much IMO.

I dont understand the outrage of us going after a stud RB in the early rounds.....We are a running team and greene seems to get injured/tomlinson is a wildcard and i doubt he would be able to carry a full load/ washington is coming off a serious injury who knows how he will come out of it. Plus i mean really who would really miss Leon. We went to the AFC championship without him. I think he could be easily replaced. Sure hes a fan favorite but cmon take off the green glasses people.

I'm not sensing outrage.

I would, however, be shocked if they opted to draft a RB high. They traded three picks to get Shonn Greene at the top of the third round last year, and he had to've lived up to their expectations. They just chased after and landed LaDainian Tomlinson. They still hold the rights to Leon Washington. It'd be very, very surprising to me if they went RB.

Going after LT tells me they're not confident in Leon, going after a RB high in the draft would tell me they have no confidence in Greene, either.

I could understand that, because I'm not nearly as in love with Greene as some here. I'd prefer a guy like Matthews, who can do it all. But it doesn't make a lot of sense from the Jets perspective, who drafted him knowing full well he'd probably never catch a pass on the pro level.

Maybe they intended a thunder & lightning combo with Greene and Leon, and Leon's injury f^cked them up? Maybe.

Bringing in a guy drafted higher than Greene -and making more money- just seems too disruptive to me. I don't see it happening.

Archived