JETS offense takes a major step backwards

visajets

And even if one on them is not available Kerley becomes our #3WR. A guy who has as yet to play a single down in the regular season!

I can't imagine a worse doomsday scenario than having a rookie move up from #4 to #3 on the depth chart over the course of the season. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are also assuming that Plax and Mason are a lock to remain on the field for a whole season.

At age 34 after missing what 2 seasons and age 37 the probability of that happening would not be very high. I think oddsmakers would agree.

And even if one on them is not available Kerley becomes our #3WR. A guy who has as yet to play a single down in the regular season!

I assume nothing. I am making a statement of fact. I expect Burress, Mason and Kerley to provide than 1300 yards and 100 catches. I don't care which of them is hurt, which is ineffective. Don't give a ****.

It's not plug and play. You can't just add a guy to the roster and have instant win as if you're playing Madden. I seriously wonder about some of you at times... you really think QBs and WRs don't have to get on the same page? You think that doesn't take time?

Agree and repped.

They did something. Edwards, Cotchery and BSmith combined for 98 catches, 1,381 yards and 9 Tds. That is exactly what they contributed. I honestly believe that Burress, Mason and Kerley will combine for better numbers. I think oddsmakers would agree. That's despite the fact that Holmes will (we hope) be there for all 16 and that means 4 games where he'll be taking numbers from the other 3.

I assume nothing. I am making a statement of fact. I expect Burress, Mason and Kerley to provide than 1300 yards and 100 catches.

A prediction for the future is a statement of fact ? Ahh crystal ball!

Derrick Mason hasn't missed a game since 2002. That includes years when he was 36, 35, 34... etc. I can get some concerns about Plax, but anyone who can't stop their incessant whining about Mason is clearly doing it for the purpose of nothing more than to have something else to whine about, because there is literally zero evidence whatsoever to support any sort of health issues or inability to play for Mason.

If the Phins or Pats signed a 37 yr old receiver this board would be lit up with comments how dumb it is to sign a 37 yr old and expect him to perform an entire season!

And Plax the guy even you admit there would be some concerns about is only our #2 WR. If one of these guys are not available to play we are down to Kerley at #3 WR.

And at the risk of interrupting collective homer suck off, its a very legitimate concern!

If the Phins or Pats signed a 37 yr old receiver this board would be lit up with comments how dumb it is to sign a 37 yr old and expect him to perform an entire season!

And Plax the guy even you admit there would be some concerns about is only our #2 WR. If one of these guys are not available to play we are down to Kerley at #3 WR.

And at the risk of interrupting collective homer suck off, its a very legitimate concern!

I guess the difference is the idea of Kerley as the #3 doesn't scare me nearly as much as it does you. Not only has he looked good in camp, on this team the #3 WR is really about the 5th receiving target considering he comes after the top 2 WRs, Keller at TE and LT at RB. Hell, Brad Smith was the Jets #3 for a number of seasons up until last year, and was also the #3 last year at times while Holmes was on suspension and again when Cotch was hurt. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Kerley will be a far more effective WR than Smith could ever dream of being.

Honestly, I would be much more concerned about Plax if it weren't for the Mason signing. Regardless of his age, Mason continues to perform at a high level year in and year out, and even if you don't want him starting, I don't get why anyone should even be slightly concerned about him being able to perform up to the level of a #3 receiver. Personally, I also think he provides a nice insurance policy if he needs to move up to #2 if Plax isn't cutting it.

I guess the difference is the idea of Kerley as the #3 doesn't scare me nearly as much as it does you. Not only has he looked good in camp, on this team the #3 WR is really about the 5th receiving target considering he comes after the top 2 WRs, Keller at TE and LT at RB. Hell, Brad Smith was the Jets #3 for a number of seasons up until last year, and was also the #3 last year at times while Holmes was on suspension and again when Cotch was hurt. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Kerley will be a far more effective WR than Smith could ever dream of being.

Wasn't that the case last year as well.

Honestly, I would be much more concerned about Plax if it weren't for the Mason signing. Regardless of his age, Mason continues to perform at a high level year in and year out, and even if you don't want him starting, I don't get why anyone should even be slightly concerned about him being able to perform up to the level of a #3 receiver. Personally, I also think he provides a nice insurance policy if he needs to move up to #2 if Plax isn't cutting it.

Mason has performed well till last season. But he is one year older. And going from 36 to 37 thats a big concern. There is a lot of mileage on that body and the probability of him being available and being productive on the field the whole season is a lot less. And if he has to step up to #2 WR role in our offense I know the homer thing to do is say that's not a problem but I am sure that would not be the rational viewpoint!

It's not plug and play. You can't just add a guy to the roster and have instant win as if you're playing Madden. I seriously wonder about some of you at times... you really think QBs and WRs don't have to get on the same page? You think that doesn't take time?

It kind of is though. Familiarity with each other matters when it comes to QB and WR relationship. Deynying that is silly, but I think you are way over blowing how much it really matters. I mean all you really need to do is go look at what Mason and Plax did their first year with the Gents and the Ravens. Both went for over 1000 yards, plug and play. It happens more than you think. Rookies, injuries, trades, FA's...its pretty common.

Does rapport/chemistry matter, absolutely. Should it be the difference between wins and losses? Not at all.

Yeah but thats because we hate them.

FWIW - all the pats main targets are plus 30. And they did just trade for a 33 year old WR and I complimented them on it.

A prediction for the future is a statement of fact ? Ahh crystal ball!

The statement of fact is that I expect more out of this year's 3 than last year's. Visa agreed, yet he somehow is unhappy. I understand there may be a learning curve, but I DON'T CARE. They will be better. If Plaxico is a gimp, Mason will pick it up, if Mason is a fossil, Kerley will step up. I am convinced they will do better. You don't think so? Say it, but if think they will do better than 100 for 1300 shut the **** up.

The statement of fact is that I expect more out of this year's 3 than last year's. Visa agreed, yet he somehow is unhappy.

Don't give a damn who agreed with you or not!

The statement of fact is that I expect more out of this year's 3 than last year's.

I understand there may be a learning curve, but I DON'T CARE. They will be better. If Plaxico is a gimp, Mason will pick it up, if Mason is a fossil, Kerley will step up. I am convinced they will do better. You don't think so? Say it, but if think they will do better than 100 for 1300 shut the **** up.

You understand their is a learning curve but don't care about that. :rl:

You think no matter who is on the field they still somehow do better just because ...wait for it... you are somehow convinced. No reasons for what your conviction is based on. :rl:

You do no provide any rational thought to why it may be so.

Now if you only you stop sucking off the JETS FO for a moment you will see how homerly, stupid, delusional and irrational it sounds. And then again maybe not. Delusion after all can be a disease!

Does rapport/chemistry matter, absolutely. Should it be the difference between wins and losses? Not at all.

If it matters then it could be the difference between wins and losses!

Yeah but thats because we hate them.

FWIW - all the pats main targets are plus 30. And they did just trade for a 33 year old WR and I complimented them on it.

Yeah we all hate them. But unlike you a lot of us do not make comments based on pure hatred!

And maybe you liked a 33 yr old WR being on the Pats but a lot of this board did not. Unfortunately a lot of them now are excited at the proposition of a 34 yr old who hasn't played in 2 plus years and 37 yr old going on to 38!

The statement of fact is that I expect more out of this year's 3 than last year's. Visa agreed, yet he somehow is unhappy. I understand there may be a learning curve, but I DON'T CARE. They will be better. If Plaxico is a gimp, Mason will pick it up, if Mason is a fossil, Kerley will step up. I am convinced they will do better. You don't think so? Say it, but if think they will do better than 100 for 1300 shut the **** up.

I am actually very hopeful for Kerley. I think he will be better than the two fossils we signed.

Don't give a damn who agreed with you or not!

You understand their is a learning curve but don't care about that. :rl:

You think no matter who is on the field they still somehow do better just because ...wait for it... you are somehow convinced. No reasons for what your conviction is based on. :rl:

You do no provide any rational thought to why it may be so.

Now if you only you stop sucking off the JETS FO for a moment you will see how homerly, stupid, delusional and irrational it sounds. And then again maybe not. Delusion after all can be a disease!

I am a homer? How long have you been posting here? I am about the furthest thing from a homer you will find. You want to bash the front office for letting two guys go that were obvious pariahs on the open market? Neither got a sniff of a decent offer, yet the Jets front office is ****ed up? I have given my reasoning dozens of times on this very topic, but now I have you :rl: ing? 32 GMs agree.

I will break it down for you because, like Visa you want to beat this horse beyond death, to dust and then scatter the ashes.

I understand it will take some time for Sanchez to get used to Plaxico and Kerley. I understand that Holmes numbers will take a big jump (something you guys seem to ignore), Burress is an injury risk but despite that, I still believe 100% that these three will provide more production than Edwards Cotchery and Smith. Period. I am not going to throw and "if they stay healthy bullsh*t" around.

Cotchery is injury prone. He has a bad back and has had groin problems which are often chronic. Edwards problems obviously must go beyond the field for him to get so few offers, but I think that Burress is perfectly capable of filling in and I actually think he does a better job of complimenting Holmes by being a big posession guy, a role in which Edwards despite solid production never seemed comfortable to me. I think that Plaxico is much better at catching short range balls and jump balls. I don't expect Kerley to set the world on fire, but he could break his leg in week 4 and still provide more WR production than Brad Smith and I think he will easily provide between 50-100% of what Cotchery gave us in 2010. Mason is money in the ******* bank. Somebody said he had a bad season last year, but his numbers were comparable to Edwards for 2010 and absolutely dwarfed Cotchery and Brad Smith combined.

If you disagree, that is fine with me. Feel free to express yourself. Tell me why I am wrong. Please provide some insight beyond "they are old, they are old, oh wait, one is too young". Burress is a wildcard, but even if you take him out of the equation they are close to even with last year.

If it matters then it could be the difference between wins and losses!

Maybe if this was a finesse team that thrived on their passing game, I'd agree. But not on a team that was the 25th rated passing team in the league and relies on their defense and run game to win games.

We're trying to improve, if a bunch of old dudes help us do that, then I'm all for it.

It kind of is though. Familiarity with each other matters when it comes to QB and WR relationship. Deynying that is silly, but I think you are way over blowing how much it really matters. I mean all you really need to do is go look at what Mason and Plax did their first year with the Gents and the Ravens. Both went for over 1000 yards, plug and play. It happens more than you think. Rookies, injuries, trades, FA's...its pretty common.

Pretty simple, really.

These guys are professionals. They change teams, they study the playbook, they go thru camp, they're ready for the season. It's not exactly rocket science. They have all of camp and the preseason to get up to speed. Then they have games against Dallas, Jacksonville, and Oakland to tune up before the get to the meat of their regular season schedule.

Jets are returning three of their top four receivers from last year: Holmes, Keller, and LT. It's not like Sanchez isn't going to have familiar targets to throw to.

Wasn't that the case last year as well.

Yeah, and what's your point? Cotchery was hurt and playing like crap while Smith was just garbage at WR, as usual. The position was very poorly filled last year, and it didn't seem to be the end of the world, so I'm not sure why a very promising rookie having to MAYBE fill that position IF there's an issue with one of the guys above him on the depth chart would be such a disaster this year.

Mason has performed well till last season. But he is one year older. And going from 36 to 37 thats a big concern. There is a lot of mileage on that body and the probability of him being available and being productive on the field the whole season is a lot less. And if he has to step up to #2 WR role in our offense I know the homer thing to do is say that's not a problem but I am sure that would not be the rational viewpoint!

You can keep repeating this until you're blue in the face the only problem is that NONE of the evidence or stats back you up. Just because you're saying it's a "big concern" and that anyone who dare not agree with you doesn't have the "rational viewpoint" does NOT make it so. So 33 to 34 is no big deal, nor is 34 to 35 or 35 to 36, because if they were Mason would've absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtedly sucked, but he didn't so obviously those are all fine, but oh my god... 36 to 37 is the end of the world. I mean, come on, everybody knows that, right? The fact is that it's different for every NFL player and the guy performed very admirably as a #2 WR just last year, and meanwhile hasn't missed a game in 9 years. This isn't a guy the Jets are asking to come in and be their #1, but a guy who's starting off at #3 and MAYBE moving up to #2 IF Plaxico doesn't work out as hoped. I'm sorry, but your assumption that absolutely everything is going to go wrong for the Jets and everyone will play far worse than all of the evidence suggests they will is NOT the rational viewpoint.

Yeah, and what's your point? Cotchery was hurt and playing like crap while Smith was just garbage at WR, as usual. The position was very poorly filled last year, and it didn't seem to be the end of the world, so I'm not sure why a very promising rookie having to MAYBE fill that position IF there's an issue with one of the guys above him on the depth chart would be such a disaster this year.

We had a solid #1 and #2 WR with no question marks. This year #2 is questionable and so #3 becomes so damn important!!!

You can keep repeating this until you're blue in the face the only problem is that NONE of the evidence or stats back you up. Just because you're saying it's a "big concern" and that anyone who dare not agree with you doesn't have the "rational viewpoint" does NOT make it so. So 33 to 34 is no big deal, nor is 34 to 35 or 35 to 36, because if they were Mason would've absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtedly sucked, but he didn't so obviously those are all fine, but oh my god... 36 to 37 is the end of the world. I mean, come on, everybody knows that, right? The fact is that it's different for every NFL player and the guy performed very admirably as a #2 WR just last year, and meanwhile hasn't missed a game in 9 years. This isn't a guy the Jets are asking to come in and be their #1, but a guy who's starting off at #3 and MAYBE moving up to #2 IF Plaxico doesn't work out as hoped. I'm sorry, but your assumption that absolutely everything is going to go wrong for the Jets and everyone will play far worse than all of the evidence suggests they will is NOT the rational viewpoint.

All i have heard is outlandish justifications, people expressing confidence without giving any reasons for their convictions and all in a verbal hand job to the organization. Nothing based on fact and evidence or any rational thought.

First of all Mason is 37 going to be 38!

Questions you have to answer is, If 37 is not such a bad age to be in the NFL why you do not find a lot more of them in the NFL!

I do not see any evidence provided by you of why it should not be a concern. Let me know when you have something!

Maybe if this was a finesse team that thrived on their passing game, I'd agree. But not on a team that was the 25th rated passing team in the league and relies on their defense and run game to win games.

We're trying to improve, if a bunch of old dudes help us do that, then I'm all for it.

If it matters it could make a difference. Period.

We had a solid #1 and #2 WR with no question marks. This year #2 is questionable and so #3 becomes so damn important!!!

All i have heard is outlandish justifications, people expressing confidence without giving any reasons for their convictions and all in a verbal hand job to the organization. Nothing based on fact and evidence or any rational thought.

First of all Mason is 37 going to be 38!

Questions you have to answer is, If 37 is not such a bad age to be in the NFL why you do not find a lot more of them in the NFL!

I do not see any evidence provided by you of why it should not be a concern. Let me know when you have something!

Do you have selective eyesight? Or do you just enjoy being a broken record despite being spoon-fed foolproof facts and arguments that you are completely and utterly wrong? Go back and read everything #27 and BG have wrote in this thread. There is even more evidence there than is needed to make the arguments that they are making.

Mason's numbers from last year, although a bit of a drop-off from the year prior, still destroy the numbers of Cotchery and Smith COMBINED. Plax, if he is healthy and in football shape (we all know, its a big if), is plenty capable of complementing Holmes very well, maybe even better than Braylon. Kerley is a dynamic player that figures to be much more of an offensive threat than Brad Smith (our #4/#3 last year) ever was.

Looking at that right there, I think its pretty clear that the group of WRs on our team now has a much higher ceiling than the group that was here a year ago.

Do you have selective eyesight? Or do you just enjoy being a broken record despite being spoon-fed foolproof facts and arguments that you are completely and utterly wrong? Go back and read everything #27 and BG have wrote in this thread. There is even more evidence there than is needed to make the arguments that they are making.

Why don't you provide me the evidence that i seem to be missing. Infact i will leave it to you to gather those pieces of evidence you are referring to. All i see a giant blowjob being offered to the JETS FO by the collective majority. And guys shooting statements like : "Plax, if he is healthy and in football shape (we all know, its a big if), is plenty capable of complementing Holmes very well, maybe even better than Braylon." which contradict themselves as then are considered as freaking evidence!

Mason's numbers from last year, although a bit of a drop-off from the year prior, still destroy the numbers of Cotchery and Smith COMBINED.

Oh so his numbers dropped a bit at age 36 but at age 37 should remain the same!!! Awesome!!!

The collective majority has gotta make a decison here. Because Cotch and Smith were #3 and #4. So if Mason #3 or because so many of you have BIG IF associated to Plax is he our #2 ? The arguments all over the place as and when they suit the conclusion!!

Plax, if he is healthy and in football shape (we all know, its a big if), is plenty capable of complementing Holmes very well, maybe even better than Braylon. Kerley is a dynamic player that figures to be much more of an offensive threat than Brad Smith (our #4/#3 last year) ever was.

Looking at that right there, I think its pretty clear that the group of WRs on our team now has a much higher ceiling than the group that was here a year ago.

Ahh there you go again!

So we have a BIG IF on Plax, and our hopes then rest on a 37 yr old WR and for some reason we are just going to be fine or guess what even better!

Why don't you provide me the evidence that i seem to be missing. Infact i will leave it to you to gather those pieces of evidence you are referring to. All i see a giant blowjob being offered to the JETS FO by the collective majority. And guys shooting statements like : "Plax, if he is healthy and in football shape (we all know, its a big if), is plenty capable of complementing Holmes very well, maybe even better than Braylon." which contradict themselves as then are considered as freaking evidence!

Oh so his numbers dropped a bit at age 36 but at age 37 should remain the same!!! Awesome!!!

The collective majority has gotta make a decison here. Because Cotch and Smith were #3 and #4. So if Mason #3 or because so many of you have BIG IF associated to Plax is he our #2 ? The arguments all over the place as and when they suit the conclusion!!

Ahh there you go again!

So we have a BIG IF on Plax, and our hopes then rest on a 37 yr old WR and for some reason we are just going to be fine or guess what even better!

The evidence is that Mason's numbers literally blew Cotch and Smith's out of the water last year. And when I say Cotch and Smith, I mean both of them, COMBINED. Plax being a ? could go either way. Could be great, or could be not so great. If he's great, we'll be much better than last year for sure. If he's not so great, Mason steps into the #2 role, and Kerley the #3. Id rather have that then Cotch at 2 and Smith at 3. (Braylons a pretty big ? as well... guy has an obvious alcohol problem and clearly hangs out with a bad group of friends, plus anyone can get hurt in football).

Understand now?

Archived