JETS offense takes a major step backwards

visajets

I am a homer? How long have you been posting here?

Ahh the classic i have been posting here more that you so i must be right!

I am about the furthest thing from a homer you will find. You want to bash the front office for letting two guys go that were obvious pariahs on the open market? Neither got a sniff of a decent offer, yet the Jets front office is ****ed up? I have given my reasoning dozens of times on this very topic, but now I have you :rl: ing? 32 GMs agree.

I am still waiting for the reasoning and evidence beyond 'i believe' and 'i am confident' and 'if anyone doesn't share my line of thinking PHUCK THEM'. All those make for some "great" reasoning!

I understand it will take some time for Sanchez to get used to Plaxico and Kerley.

And somehow thats not a concern. And what about Mason ?

Burress is an injury risk but despite that, I still believe 100% that these three will provide more production than Edwards Cotchery and Smith. Period. I am not going to throw and "if they stay healthy bullsh*t" around.

He could be an injury risk but can you provide the reasoning for your belief. Other than voodoo magic!

We all know health has never prevented a player from contributing. Voodoo magic again ?

Cotchery is injury prone. He has a bad back and has had groin problems which are often chronic.

Cotchery was never part of the conversation. So don't know why you feel the need to introduce him in the conversation now!

If you disagree, that is fine with me. Feel free to express yourself. Tell me why I am wrong. Please provide some insight beyond "they are old, they are old, oh wait, one is too young". Burress is a wildcard, but even if you take him out of the equation they are close to even with last year.

We all know age is just a number. Specially on a football field!

So even the rosiest of scenarios is we are only close to even with last year. And we did not win anything last year!

So what i have from you is Burress is a wildcard, an injury concern, there are familiarity concerns between QB and new WR's but you still believe ( no reasoning provided) that we should still be fine. With Burress healthy we might even be freaking better. Now i don't like to call people names. Its hurtful et al. But if you heard someone lets say a Phin or Pats fan make the same argument for their team in similar circumstance what would you call them ? Hmmm.... a homer ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still waiting for the reasoning and evidence beyond 'i believe' and 'i am confident' and 'if anyone doesn't share my line of thinking PHUCK THEM'. All those make for some "great" reasoning!

He could be an injury risk but can you provide the reasoning for your belief. Other than voodoo magic!

We all know health has never prevented a player from contributing. Voodoo magic again ?

Cotchery was never part of the conversation. So don't know why you feel the need to introduce him in the conversation now!

So even the rosiest of scenarios is we are only close to even with last year. And we did not win anything last year!

So what i have from you is Burress is a wildcard, an injury concern, there are familiarity concerns between QB and new WR's but you still believe ( no reasoning provided) that we should still be fine. With Burress healthy we might even be freaking better. Now i don't like to call people names. Its hurtful et al. But if you heard someone lets say a Phin or Pats fan make the same argument for their team in similar circumstance what would you call them ? Hmmm.... a homer ?

Okay. So we're on different side of the fence here. We're (27, BG, myself) are arguing that based on Mason's recent #s compared to Smith and Cotch, we think he'll be better than either of those. We think that Plax has the potential to be a better fit than Bray. We think Kerley is a better receiver, by a lot, than Smith.

You think Plax will collapse and not be productive this year. You think Mason will hit the proverbial wall this year. You think Kerley is just a rookie, without a training camp, that will not be ready to contribute this year.

You are asking for proof. We have provided recent #s, we have provided analysis of the players (Burress is more of a possession guy, will catch shorter balls, better at jump-balls than Bray)... No that's not proof of what's going to happen this year. Nobody can prove either extreme to be right.

In the words of a cross-town PR guy... Can you prove we're worse, knucklehead?

The evidence is that Mason's numbers literally blew Cotch and Smith's out of the water last year. And when I say Cotch and Smith, I mean both of them, COMBINED. Plax being a ? could go either way. Could be great, or could be not so great. If he's great, we'll be much better than last year for sure. If he's not so great, Mason steps into the #2 role, and Kerley the #3. Id rather have that then Cotch at 2 and Smith at 3. (Braylons a pretty big ? as well... guy has an obvious alcohol problem and clearly hangs out with a bad group of friends, plus anyone can get hurt in football).

Understand now?

:face:

I see you failed to gather evidence from the past that I "missed"!

Atleast one change i see finally is most of you agree Plax is an injury concern or a question mark. Some progress!

Simple question, so if Mason steps at #2 will he do better than Braylon ? Will he able to stretch the field like Braylon ? Provide some evidence please!

Finally the major IRONY! On one hand we cannot have Braylon because he has alcohol problems (no evidence) and hangs out with bad group of friends on the other hand everybody is OK..er..glad with the signing of a guy who spent 2 years in the can!

Can you explain ?

:face:

I see you failed to gather evidence from the past that I "missed"!

Atleast one change i see finally is most of you agree Plax is an injury concern or a question mark. Some progress!

Simple question, so if Mason steps at #2 will he do better than Braylon ? Will he able to stretch the field like Braylon ? Provide some evidence please!

Finally the major IRONY! On one hand we cannot have Braylon because he has alcohol problems (no evidence) and hangs out with bad group of friends on the other hand everybody is OK..er..glad with the signing of a guy who spent 2 years in the can!

Can you explain ?

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. From what I've seen, both sides are giving valid reasons for the beliefs and providing examples of why they feel that way. It seems like you're just ignoring them.

I'll sum up why I feel positive and I think it will speak for most. Should be very easy to follow.

Holmes - the best weapon we had last season, and the best WR in the FA market, is now a long term Jet. Him and Sanchez are the future of the pass attack.

Plax vs. Braylon - I believe Plax is a far superior WR based off better production while he was in the league. I believe his frame and ball catching ability makes him a much better option as he was once a prolific WR in the league. IMO 80% of the old Plax is better than 100% of Edwards. When I see a guy like Mike Williams bust out of the league for 3 years, blow up to 300lbs and then come back to be Seattle's best WR last season, I see no reason why Plax cant come back. When I see Mike Vick go to prison and play a much more difficult position at a high level when he returned, I'm confident Plax can as well. His ankle problems dont bother me as he suffered from that chronically when he was in the league and it never slowed him down.

Mason vs. Cotch. There really isnt an argument. Mason is a far more productive WR. He's been one of the most consistent WR's in the league for the last decade. Yes, he's old, but he's shown no signs of slowing downing. Where as, J-Co has shown signs as he's banged up and had a pretty awful season last year. The fact that Mason's so productive, gives me confidence if Plax doesnt work out, he'll be a very nice #2 and I believe many teams wish they had that luxury. Hopefully, Kerley is as advertised and then there really shouldnt be any problems.

From 09 to 10, the Jets scored 1 more TD on offense. They essentially moved up a couple of slots in overall passing offense, from like 28 to 25. Thats not good. So they are trying to improve, whether it will work or not is yet to be seen. IMO, what I've provided above, should indicate our passing attack will improve. I really dont see how it can get worse when we're returning 3 of our 4 top receiving options and have added 2 more WR's who have been extremely productive in their careers.

We had a solid #1 and #2 WR with no question marks. This year #2 is questionable and so #3 becomes so damn important!!!

Holy crap, are you kidding me? No question marks? Holmes was his first year on the team and had a 4-game suspension and Edwards was thought to have the worst hands in the league. There were absolutely question marks with both players. Holmes is much less of a question mark this year, and even if Burress is a bigger question than Braylon it is the whole reason the Jets brought in Mason as the #3. However, this whole point is completely contrary to what your whole argument was, which is what a disaster it would supposedly be if Kerley had to step up to the #3 spot. But he's not the #3 right now, he's the #4. Which is far better than the #4 the Jets had just last year. It's pretty crystal clear at this point that you're just trying to concoct reasons to bitch about the WR corps considering you can't even keep your alleged issues straight.

All i have heard is outlandish justifications, people expressing confidence without giving any reasons for their convictions and all in a verbal hand job to the organization. Nothing based on fact and evidence or any rational thought.

First of all Mason is 37 going to be 38!

Questions you have to answer is, If 37 is not such a bad age to be in the NFL why you do not find a lot more of them in the NFL!

I do not see any evidence provided by you of why it should not be a concern. Let me know when you have something!

This is beyond laughable at this point. The ONLY people who have provided ANY evidence whatsoever are those who have repeatedly shown the success he has had in recent years, despite his age. You have been repeatedly been given statistics over and over again about what has been done by the Jets new WR corps as well as what was accomplished by last years WRs. The fact that you want to ignore it and pretend it suddenly doesn't count doesn't make you right, not even a little bit.

The fact is the ONLY person here who has absolutely refused to provide ANY evidence at all is you. You constantly stomping your feet and throwing a fit while shouting "37!!!" over and over again does not qualify as any one of fact, evidence or rational thought. You have provided zero support for your case, and yet somehow it's the only correct and rational thought process available despite the fact that is based on literally nothing.

Holy crap, are you kidding me? No question marks? Holmes was his first year on the team and had a 4-game suspension and Edwards was thought to have the worst hands in the league. There were absolutely question marks with both players. Holmes is much less of a question mark this year, and even if Burress is a bigger question than Braylon it is the whole reason the Jets brought in Mason as the #3. However, this whole point is completely contrary to what your whole argument was, which is what a disaster it would supposedly be if Kerley had to step up to the #3 spot. But he's not the #3 right now, he's the #4. Which is far better than the #4 the Jets had just last year. It's pretty crystal clear at this point that you're just trying to concoct reasons to bitch about the WR corps considering you can't even keep your alleged issues straight.

This is beyond laughable at this point. The ONLY people who have provided ANY evidence whatsoever are those who have repeatedly shown the success he has had in recent years, despite his age. You have been repeatedly been given statistics over and over again about what has been done by the Jets new WR corps as well as what was accomplished by last years WRs. The fact that you want to ignore it and pretend it suddenly doesn't count doesn't make you right, not even a little bit.

The fact is the ONLY person here who has absolutely refused to provide ANY evidence at all is you. You constantly stomping your feet and throwing a fit while shouting "37!!!" over and over again does not qualify as any one of fact, evidence or rational thought. You have provided zero support for your case, and yet somehow it's the only correct and rational thought process available despite the fact that is based on literally nothing.

tl;dr

I'll sum this all up into a nice little package for John Denver: GFY.

As far as route running ability and catching the football goes... I've already considered Jeremy Kerley as a big time upgrade over Brad Smith. Brad Smith was a QB coming out of college... Kerley is a polished WR who played for one of the best college football programs in the Nation. That's the difference between the two in terms of overall wide receiver ability. As a WR, Brad Smith has only put up 11 receptions, 107 receiving yards and 0 TD's over the past two years. He's not a wide out... Kerley is. Kerley is only a rookie, but this has already been an upgrade for the 2011 Jets by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCHWXrhKJI

As of right now, I'll give the 2010 Jets and Braylon Edwards the advantage over Plaxico Burress as our #2 WR, for the simple fact Braylon's only 28 years of age and has put up 153 receptions, 2,457 receiving yards and 14 TD's over the past 3 years when compared to Plaxico who hasn't played a single down of NFL football since 11/16 of 2008. Over the past 3 years Braylon has only averaged 51 receptions, 819 yards and 4 TD's. Those are not numbers of a true #1 WR.

Now on the flip side, Plaxico may be 34 years old, but if Burress can return to form... We're getting a true #1 WR who will blow Braylon out of the water any day of the week and twice on Sundays, in essence, giving the Jets of 2011 the huge advantage and big time gain/upgrade. Only time will tell, but it's worth the gamble when trying to win a SB for the first time since 1968-69. Plaxico is a WR who's put up seasons of 66 catches, 1,008 yards and 6 TD's (2001). 78 catches, 1,325 yards and 7 TD's (2002). 76 catches, 1,214 yards and 7 TD's (2005). 63 catches, 988 yards and 10 TD's (2006). 70 catches, 1025 yards and 12 TD's (2007). He also put up that type of production as a true #1. The sky is the limit for our offense if Burress can return to form. With Braylon on our roster, we've been one of the worst offensive red-zone teams in the league over the past two years. Nothing against Braylon himself, but even if Plaxico is half the player he once was... He'll be sure to improve our red-zone offensive attack by leaps and bounds.

There is no comparison between Cotchery and Mason. Mason is three times the WR that Cotchery could ever dream of being. Mason is going into the hall of fame. Just look at the career numbers between the two. It's not even close.

103 games played, 358 receptions, 4,514 yards, 12.6 average, 18 TD's and 234 first downs. Cotchery.

218 games played, 924 receptions, 11,891 yards, 12.9 average, 66 TD's and 634 first downs. Mason.

Derrick Mason catches everything that comes his way. He's an extremely smart route runner who knows exactly how to get open. He's smarter than almost every CB out there. He's tough as nails. Has always had a nose for finding himself in the enz zone and has always been one of the best WR's around in terms of picking up the tough first down on 3rd downs. This is an obvious upgrade.

Some may say Cotchery is only 29 years of age when compared to Mason who's 37 years old. I'll take that with a grain of salt. Then explain why Mason hasn't missed a single game in over 8 years. This man is an NFL warrior who's still putting up big time numbers. Jerricho Cotchery has missed 4 games over the past two seasons and was listed as being physically unable to perform before getting released by the Jets. It seems as if Jerricho Cotchery is the one with a body of a 37 year old. Also, if Cotchery is "better with youth" then please explain why Mason has 317 receptions, 3,954 yards, 24 TD's and 219 first downs over the past 4 years, compared to Jerricho who's only been able to put up 251 catches, 3,242 yards, 10 TD's and 164 first downs during that same 4 year span.

Add to the fact that Sanchez is heading into his 3rd year, and it's obvious that the Jets have improved our offensive passing attack during the offseason. Burress, Mason and Kerley over Edwards, Cotchery and Brad and I'm not sure it's even close.

Okay. So we're on different side of the fence here. We're (27, BG, myself) are arguing that based on Mason's recent #s compared to Smith and Cotch, we think he'll be better than either of those. We think that Plax has the potential to be a better fit than Bray. We think Kerley is a better receiver, by a lot, than Smith.

You think Plax will collapse and not be productive this year. You think Mason will hit the proverbial wall this year. You think Kerley is just a rookie, without a training camp, that will not be ready to contribute this year.

You are asking for proof. We have provided recent #s, we have provided analysis of the players (Burress is more of a possession guy, will catch shorter balls, better at jump-balls than Bray)... No that's not proof of what's going to happen this year. Nobody can prove either extreme to be right.

In the words of a cross-town PR guy... Can you prove we're worse, knucklehead?

A guy can even think of producing if he is on the field. At age 34 with 2 seasons off the field and having chronic ankle problems what are the chances of him contributing all season. And i am not even going to go there with the Mason's age. Oh and they were signed up to be our #2 and #3 WRs.

Not one other team in the NFL has such an combination at that position! Borrowing a line used repeatedly in this discussion, how can all the other GM's be wrong!

And namecalling that too by quoting a Giants PR guy on a JETS board! Pathetic!

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. From what I've seen, both sides are giving valid reasons for the beliefs and providing examples of why they feel that way. It seems like you're just ignoring them.

I'll sum up why I feel positive and I think it will speak for most. Should be very easy to follow.

Holmes - the best weapon we had last season, and the best WR in the FA market, is now a long term Jet. Him and Sanchez are the future of the pass attack.

Plax vs. Braylon - I believe Plax is a far superior WR based off better production while he was in the league. I believe his frame and ball catching ability makes him a much better option as he was once a prolific WR in the league. IMO 80% of the old Plax is better than 100% of Edwards. When I see a guy like Mike Williams bust out of the league for 3 years, blow up to 300lbs and then come back to be Seattle's best WR last season, I see no reason why Plax cant come back. When I see Mike Vick go to prison and play a much more difficult position at a high level when he returned, I'm confident Plax can as well. His ankle problems dont bother me as he suffered from that chronically when he was in the league and it never slowed him down.

Ahh the classic defense. I am impressed by what Mike Williams and Mike Vick did. And hope thats the case with Plax.

But Mike Williams age when he came back into the league 26. And he only played 14 games and missed 2 game in the later half of the season. Oh he had not chronic ankle issues!

Mike Vick's was 29. And he was a the 3rd backup QB his first season back and played some WildCat. A lot less workload than say a #2WR! Won't you say!!

From 09 to 10, the Jets scored 1 more TD on offense. They essentially moved up a couple of slots in overall passing offense, from like 28 to 25. Thats not good. So they are trying to improve, whether it will work or not is yet to be seen. IMO, what I've provided above, should indicate our passing attack will improve. I really dont see how it can get worse when we're returning 3 of our 4 top receiving options and have added 2 more WR's who have been extremely productive in their careers.

So we had a anemic passing offense to begin with and decided it would become better with question marks!

A guy can even think of producing if he is on the field. At age 34 with 2 seasons off the field and having chronic ankle problems what are the chances of him contributing all season. And i am not even going to go there with the Mason's age. Oh and they were signed up to be our #2 and #3 WRs.

But Mike Williams age when he came back into the league 26. And he only played 14 games and missed 2 game in the later half of the season. Oh he had not chronic ankle issues!

So his ankle is chronic now? I hope it's not as chronic as Braylon's chronic drinking problem/issue. That would be bad.

So his ankle is chronic now? I hope it's not as chronic as Braylon's chronic drinking problem/issue. That would be bad.

A whole bunch of people have already said that. Exhibit A above!

Here is link which mentions his recent injury is not related to his chronic ankle problems. Which proves he does have chronic ankle problems in the past:

http://www.afcbeast.com/2011/08/05/plaxico-tweaks-ankle-wont-practice/

P.S: I am still waiting for a some proof or link about Braylon's alcohol problem!

#2 WR has question marks. And if all Plax was doing was missing coming back from lighting up a few doobies in the off season his health would be the least of my concerns!

But if he does not suit up no worries we got a 37 yr old guy ready to step up!

The age is a huge factor. I am sure there is enough football knowledge here on this board to not deny that age is not a factor at all. Unless you are too busy sucking off the JETS FO!

How can anyone honestly tell me that out 37 yr old WR will be just fine and be on the field through out the season, be productive and then be able to productively step up to #2 WR when required? Crystall Ball ?

But in its absence its a legitimate concern to have!

P.S: I am still waiting for a some proof or link about Braylon's alcohol problem!

Many of Braylon's alcohol related transgressions have been publicly documented. They've all been listed for you already. You're obviously too dense to register them.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for some proof that you can bring something more to the table than your current brand of boring/annoying posts. I'm not optimistic.

Talk about not getting it. I think about 30 people have explained this to you, but you still want to fight.

Uh no, the classic, if you can read and have posted here for any reasonable amount of time you should know I am not a homer.

Let's see. Physical ability. Kerley, Burress and Mason are as good or better than what we had last season. Burress is flat out better at squaring up and going after the ball. Past production. Burress has been out of the league for a bouple of years, but he and Mason have better or at minimum comparable statistics to Edwards and Cotchery. Kerley has NO statistics and I think that is preferable to what Smith gave us. I find it amusing that you have a problem with me stating unequivocally that I think the new 3 will surpass the old 3 when your whole line of reasoning is "look at their birthdates!"

I have very little concern that these guys will fit in. I think they would be better with a little more time, but even without that they will be better than Edwards Cotch and Smith.

Actually, my belief is not based on voodoo magic. It's based on the simple fact that Cotchery is MORE of an injury risk than any of them. Edwards had a very nice season last year, but it wasn't earth shattering and his improvement in drops is more likely an anomaly than something that will continue. Just because what we have isn't perfect doesn't mean it's not better.

This is a flat out load of ******* sh*t. You have attacked numerous posts I made comparing Edwards-Cotchery-Smith with Burress-Mason-Kerley. If you have a ******* reading comprehension problem, don't take it out on me. I don't believe that I have made a post in this thread without mentioning Cotchery.

Um... we didn't win anything? Then why not try to improve? That's what they did, but you don't like it. Fair enough, but that's something to agree to disagree about. I believe that Burress is a better posession WR than Edwards. Edwards will probably get more ypc, but I think Burress will get similar yards and produce more in the red zone. I think that Burress will keep more drives alive and make for a more consistent offense. Feel free to disagree, but please provide some reason other than he's older if you want to continue the discussion.

Edwards drops a lot of balls. Edwards if probably a drunk. Cotchery is slow. Cotchery has SERIOUS injury concerns and is not even ready to practice. Won't that hurt his continuity? Cotchery spit up a ton of balls last season. Smith is a non-option as a WR. Therefore we are better. I am not concerned about what phin fans think. I'm not really concerned about what you think since your only complaints are "they are old" and "they are new". They will be new for a few weeks. They will be old forever, however they can still produce. I might be worried if the team didn't have an ACTUAL #1 WR, a TE had more catches than anybody on the team and produced way more than Cotchery and not a crazy amount behind Edwards. Mason is an older guy, but he's money in the bank. The guy has put up 11 straight seasons will better than 750 yards and has gotten 5 or more TDs the past 4 seasons, but...but... but...he's OLD! His numbers may drop, but he's not going to fall off a cliff. I heard the same sh*t about LT replacing Thomas Jones. It was bullsh*t.

You think you are right, but EVERY GM in the league disagrees. They barely offered anything to Cotchery or Edwards. Mason and Burress had several offers. Brad Smith got some money, but he'd been with the Jets long enough I assume you will admit he was unlikely to be a factor at WR.

No really the WR situation as it stands now:

Holmes - Probably > Edwards. Smoother and smarter as a WR.

Burress - Better WR than Edwards, bigger chip on his shoulder, and will be the awesome with the end zone fade route.

Mason - Gives what Cotchery gives without the bs of youth's ambitions. Cotchery stills thinks he's capable of getting a strong #2 WR contract, I think. Mason wants to win a SB.

Kerley - Better WR than Smith, I guarantee it. Probably closer to Cotchery in talent level. Smart.

Just with the first 3 alone I expect production, and Kerley can be eased into the offense with vets who aren't pissed about playing time and role.

It's a complete win for Los Yets.

Stopped reading after this garbage.

Now if you only you stop sucking off the JETS FO for a moment you will see how homerly, stupid, delusional and irrational it sounds. And then again maybe not. Delusion after all can be a disease!

It's delusion to think that our WRs are good and Sanchez will be better and have a more productive year? Yeah, totally a "homer" thing.

Can we please make a thread for negative nancies and old fans living in the past to bitch and whine like teenage girls, so every single thread doesn't have to be full of this? I mean its one thing to not agree with everything they do, but all this paranoid lunacy "the sky is falling" type crap needs to stop. Support your damn team, it's not changing. Otherwise, move on and pick a new one. I hear the Giants are looking for fans.

Not one other team in the NFL has such an combination at that position! Borrowing a line used repeatedly in this discussion, how can all the other GM's be wrong!

And namecalling that too by quoting a Giants PR guy on a JETS board! Pathetic!

So.. Im going to take your lack of proof as a "no" and move on from this thread. Neither side can be proven right or wrong at the moment because none of us can see into the future. This circular banter is just annoying already. Goodbye.

A whole bunch of people have already said that. Exhibit A above!

Here is link which mentions his recent injury is not related to his chronic ankle problems. Which proves he does have chronic ankle problems in the past:

http://www.afcbeast.com/2011/08/05/plaxico-tweaks-ankle-wont-practice/

If you don't already know about Braylons history with DUI arrests, bar fights, and the rest... Thisn you need to pay attention to your jets news more... Its all out there. Do a google search.

The age is a huge factor. I am sure there is enough football knowledge here on this board to not deny that age is not a factor at all. Unless you are too busy sucking off the JETS FO!

In some instances age is a major factor, meanwhile you've yet to provide a single piece of any evidence whatsoever to prove why Derrick Mason, as a player, is proven likely to be significantly impacted by his age this year. Your stance isn't that his play may slightly decline, which might at least be a reasonable opinion, your stance is that a player who had a very good year as a #2 receiver last year (all of his numbers would have put him at #1 or #2 with the Jets) at the age of 36 will suddenly be completely incapable of even the most remote amount of useful play to the Jets as a #3 / insurance of #2 now that he's a whole one year older.

Some players start falling apart by age 29 (see: Cotchery, Jerricho) while others have shown an ability to play well into their 40s. There is no simple "he's too old" point to be made at some magical age despite there being zero evidence whatsoever of that players play declining to support your argument.

You can keep screaming about "football knowledge" and "facts", but you don't find it just a little bit odd that there's been a flow of statistics that completely counter your argument thrown out in this thread, and you've yet to provide a single piece of factual basis for why Derrick Mason as an individual, is destined to be completely useless for this year, because he is a whole one year older than he was as a very good #2 last year?

In some instances age is a major factor, meanwhile you've yet to provide a single piece of any evidence whatsoever to prove why Derrick Mason, as a player, is proven likely to be significantly impacted by his age this year. Your stance isn't that his play may slightly decline, which might at least be a reasonable opinion, your stance is that a player who had a very good year as a #2 receiver last year (all of his numbers would have put him at #1 or #2 with the Jets) at the age of 36 will suddenly be completely incapable of even the most remote amount of useful play to the Jets as a #3 / insurance of #2 now that he's a whole one year older.

Some players start falling apart by age 29 (see: Cotchery, Jerricho) while others have shown an ability to play well into their 40s. There is no simple "he's too old" point to be made at some magical age despite there being zero evidence whatsoever of that players play declining to support your argument.

You can keep screaming about "football knowledge" and "facts", but you don't find it just a little bit odd that there's been a flow of statistics that completely counter your argument thrown out in this thread, and you've yet to provide a single piece of factual basis for why Derrick Mason as an individual, is destined to be completely useless for this year, because he is a whole one year older than he was as a very good #2 last year?

Homer. :rolleyes:

Ahh the classic defense. I am impressed by what Mike Williams and Mike Vick did. And hope thats the case with Plax.

Mike Vick's was 29. And he was a the 3rd backup QB his first season back and played some WildCat. A lot less workload than say a #2WR! Won't you say!!

What classic defenes dude? You asked us to support our position, thats what I'm doing. I've given specific examples and stats to support my belief. You dont agree, I get, I'm over it...your going in circles. There is no pleasing you.

So we had a anemic passing offense to begin with and decided it would become better with question marks!

1 ?...1. Every team has them...we have 1. I'd say thats probably better than most situations.

Many of Braylon's alcohol related transgressions have been publicly documented. They've all been listed for you already. You're obviously too dense to register them.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for some proof that you can bring something more to the table than your current brand of boring/annoying posts. I'm not optimistic.

A DUi does not make you have an alcohol problem. I know a friend who has had 2 DUI's and he is only a social drinker.

So let me know when you have proof!

A DUi does not make you have an alcohol problem. I know a friend who has had 2 DUI's and he is only a social drinker.

So let me know when you have proof!

The list is much longer than a single DUI, you ignorant obtuse douchebag.

If your "friend" has two DUI's, he's also a moron, and almost certainly has a drinking problem himself. You're both also outstanding judges of character.

I have all the proof I need that you will continue to be a boring, annoying, repetitive poster, and I hope you get so tired of people telling you how much of an a$$hole you are that you just leave.

Talk about not getting it. I think about 30 people have explained this to you, but you still want to fight.

Uh no, the classic, if you can read and have posted here for any reasonable amount of time you should know I am not a homer.

Let's see. Physical ability. Kerley, Burress and Mason are as good or better than what we had last season. Burress is flat out better at squaring up and going after the ball. Past production. Burress has been out of the league for a bouple of years, but he and Mason have better or at minimum comparable statistics to Edwards and Cotchery. Kerley has NO statistics and I think that is preferable to what Smith gave us. I find it amusing that you have a problem with me stating unequivocally that I think the new 3 will surpass the old 3 when your whole line of reasoning is "look at their birthdates!"

I have very little concern that these guys will fit in. I think they would be better with a little more time, but even without that they will be better than Edwards Cotch and Smith.

Actually, my belief is not based on voodoo magic. It's based on the simple fact that Cotchery is MORE of an injury risk than any of them. Edwards had a very nice season last year, but it wasn't earth shattering and his improvement in drops is more likely an anomaly than something that will continue. Just because what we have isn't perfect doesn't mean it's not better.

This is a flat out load of ******* sh*t. You have attacked numerous posts I made comparing Edwards-Cotchery-Smith with Burress-Mason-Kerley. If you have a ******* reading comprehension problem, don't take it out on me. I don't believe that I have made a post in this thread without mentioning Cotchery.

Um... we didn't win anything? Then why not try to improve? That's what they did, but you don't like it. Fair enough, but that's something to agree to disagree about. I believe that Burress is a better posession WR than Edwards. Edwards will probably get more ypc, but I think Burress will get similar yards and produce more in the red zone. I think that Burress will keep more drives alive and make for a more consistent offense. Feel free to disagree, but please provide some reason other than he's older if you want to continue the discussion.

Edwards drops a lot of balls. Edwards if probably a drunk. Cotchery is slow. Cotchery has SERIOUS injury concerns and is not even ready to practice. Won't that hurt his continuity? Cotchery spit up a ton of balls last season. Smith is a non-option as a WR. Therefore we are better. I am not concerned about what phin fans think. I'm not really concerned about what you think since your only complaints are "they are old" and "they are new". They will be new for a few weeks. They will be old forever, however they can still produce. I might be worried if the team didn't have an ACTUAL #1 WR, a TE had more catches than anybody on the team and produced way more than Cotchery and not a crazy amount behind Edwards. Mason is an older guy, but he's money in the bank. The guy has put up 11 straight seasons will better than 750 yards and has gotten 5 or more TDs the past 4 seasons, but...but... but...he's OLD! His numbers may drop, but he's not going to fall off a cliff. I heard the same sh*t about LT replacing Thomas Jones. It was bullsh*t.

You think you are right, but EVERY GM in the league disagrees. They barely offered anything to Cotchery or Edwards. Mason and Burress had several offers. Brad Smith got some money, but he'd been with the Jets long enough I assume you will admit he was unlikely to be a factor at WR.

Explanations based on 1 believe and this is opinion is a statement of fact! All i have heard is a bunch of BS!

Burress can do a lot of things. If he stays on the field. Can anyone provide any evidence to show that a 34 yr old with chronic ankle issues in the past can stay on the field for an entire season plus post season ? Its a legitimate concern to have but most of this board pretends coming back at that age after such a long time away is no BIG DEAL!

Cotch was never part of the discussion. Go back read the thread. He wanted to leave so good riddance!

How many balls did Edwards drop last season ? Answer that!

And there we go again, trying to imply Edwards was a drunk!

The list is much longer than a single DUI, you ignorant obtuse douchebag.

If your "friend" has two DUI's, he's also a moron, and almost certainly has a drinking problem himself. You're both also outstanding judges of character.

I have all the proof I need that you will continue to be a boring, annoying, repetitive poster, and I hope you get so tired of people telling you how much of an a$$hole you are that you just leave.

Ahh name calling. That must have taken some courage!

Not surprised no evidence provided except for possessing an extremely low IQ!

Explanations based on 1 believe and this is opinion is a statement of fact! All i have heard is a bunch of BS!

Burress can do a lot of things. If he stays on the field. Can anyone provide any evidence to show that a 34 yr old with chronic ankle issues in the past can stay on the field for an entire season plus post season ? Its a legitimate concern to have but most of this board pretends coming back at that age after such a long time away is no BIG DEAL!

Cotch was never part of the discussion. Go back read the thread. He wanted to leave so good riddance!

How many balls did Edwards drop last season ? Answer that!

And there we go again, trying to imply Edwards was a drunk!

Do you have any proof that he won't stay on the field? Do you have any proof or even any rational, sane reason to think that Mason won't be able to stay on the field? The thread is about the Jets offense. My point, made repeatedly, is that this year's 3 will outperform last year's. You replied to me. I didn't reply to you and I was talking about Cotchery.

Edwards isn't a drunk? Then why didn't anybody want him? Do you know? Please provide rational reasoning. We know that his birthdate is within the acceptable range, so what's the real reason? Could it be that he dropped more balls than you think or that the fact that he didn't drop 20 balls in 2010 is an anomaly and people expect him to revert to form? His technique was still terrible.

So.. Im going to take your lack of proof as a "no" and move on from this thread. Neither side can be proven right or wrong at the moment because none of us can see into the future. This circular banter is just annoying already. Goodbye.

Ahhh...someone finally getting it. We will see when the season starts and i would gladly be wrong!

Nobody has a crystal ball!

But you couldn't tell that with how far people faces are up the JETS FO's a$$ on these moves! Only thing missing were the pom poms! Statements of fact being made about whats going to happen in the future! Opinions being thrown around as evidence! And if the same moves were made by the Pats or the Phins this whole board would be lit up and rightly so at the folly of signing a 34 yr old WR with a 2 year layoff, chronic ankle problems and 37 yr old WR while let a productive #2 WR get away for bargain basement price.

No other team has that combo going in!

At the end of it all it is a very legitimate concern to have!

Ahh name calling. That must have taken some courage!

Not surprised no evidence provided except for possessing an extremely low IQ!

Why don't you take a ride with your social drinking buddy?

Where did you get that ? On what do you base that conclusion ?

Archived