Why the move of Smitty over Pool?

Meshawn Johnson19

Not that I have anything against Eric Smith, but what was the coaching mentality in bringing Pool back to ride behind Smith? Smith is a good run defender and great STer, but he couldn't cover a bagel with cream cheese?? Anyone know why the move was made?

This post made me laugh. Now is the issue the bagel or the cream cheese in your scenario? Is it perhaps the cream cheese that's constantly causing him to slip and fall on his face?

To answer your question... I have no freakin' idea.

Smith is better than Pool. Ther, I said it. He is a big hitter and a monster at the LOS. He knocked yet another player out of the game tonight. I'm no longer on the "Smith can't Cover" bandwagon. He is a scary hitting safety. An ugly headcracking throwback. He will almost certainly come down with some brain malady at the age of 56, but until then, let him scare the sh*t out of anyone going over the middle. And bonus: He is an ace special teamer.

Not that I have anything against Eric Smith, but what was the coaching mentality in bringing Pool back to ride behind Smith? Smith is a good run defender and great STer, but he couldn't cover a bagel with cream cheese?? Anyone know why the move was made?

Maybe because each time he makes a tackle he injures the oppositions wr? Even tonight, the tackle he made they had to peel the dude off the sideline and off to the locker room he went. Smith is a 70's football player in the modern era, and I love him for that. Smith is better than Pool in my opinion.

Smith is better than Pool. Ther, I said it. He is a big hitter and a monster at the LOS. He knocked yet another player out of the game tonight. I'm no longer on the "Smith can't Cover" bandwagon. He is a scary hitting safety. An ugly headcracking throwback. He will almost certainly come down with some brain malady at the age of 56, but until then, let him scare the sh*t out of anyone going over the middle. And bonus: He is an ace special teamer.

I'm sorry, but "big hits" don't mean a damn thing when you're constantly getting beat like a drum. Great, he took out another player tonight, but just did it after the player in question completely beat his a$$ and got the first down before Smith bulldozed him out of bounds. I'm sorry, but that's not worth sh*t. He's actually lucky he didn't get called for yet another penalty on that play, as he's oh so good at doing. I won't dispute his value on special teams for a second, and in a limited role he definitely has some use in certain defensive packages, but he's not even remotely capable of being a starter. And despite the occasional "oohs" and "ahs", it's not like those big hits have ever done much of anything. There aren't any players dropping passes against the Jets because they know they ever so frightening Eric Smith is lurking behind them. Pool is far from an all star player, but he's leaps and bounds better than Smith in coverage, and that's going to do a whole lot more for you than the occasional cool sounding hit that might hurt a guy (and probably get a flag).

I'm sorry, but "big hits" don't mean a damn thing when you're constantly getting beat like a drum. Great, he took out another player tonight, but just did it after the player in question completely beat his a$$ and got the first down before Smith bulldozed him out of bounds. I'm sorry, but that's not worth sh*t. He's actually lucky he didn't get called for yet another penalty on that play, as he's oh so good at doing. I won't dispute his value on special teams for a second, and in a limited role he definitely has some use in certain defensive packages, but he's not even remotely capable of being a starter. And despite the occasional "oohs" and "ahs", it's not like those big hits have ever done much of anything. There aren't any players dropping passes against the Jets because they know they ever so frightening Eric Smith is lurking behind them. Pool is far from an all star player, but he's leaps and bounds better than Smith in coverage, and that's going to do a whole lot more for you than the occasional cool sounding hit that might hurt a guy (and probably get a flag).

What the **** has Poole done at safety?

I win. You now have to give me credit for being very smart. That's the rules.

What the **** has Poole done at safety?

I win. You now have to give me credit for being very smart. That's the rules.

LOL. Um... Well played??

Like I said, Pool isn't anything fantastic either, but the guy is solid in coverage. More than anything, he's not nearly as bad in coverage as Eric Smith is. I'd have to look it up, but there was some stat out there this offseason where Pool didn't get beat for a single TD for it was like the last 7 or so weeks of the season last year. And hell... the guy picked off Tom Brady, that should count for a lot, particularly considering it only happened 4 times all year, 5 times including the playoffs... of course 3 of those 5 were by Jets players :-P.

Back to the topic at hand, that's one more pick than Smith had all last year. Like I said, I do think he's very good on ST and actually do like him as a situational player, but the guy is beyond horrendous in coverage. When he's not getting beat straight up by even the slowest, least talented of TEs, HBs and even FBs, he's tripping and falling completely untouched. That's simply unacceptable for your starter.

LOL. Um... Well played??

Like I said, Pool isn't anything fantastic either, but the guy is solid in coverage. More than anything, he's not nearly as bad in coverage as Eric Smith is. I'd have to look it up, but there was some stat out there this offseason where Pool didn't get beat for a single TD for it was like the last 7 or so weeks of the season last year. And hell... the guy picked off Tom Brady, that should count for a lot, particularly considering it only happened 4 times all year, 5 times including the playoffs... of course 3 of those 5 were by Jets players :-P.

Back to the topic at hand, that's one more pick than Smith had all last year. Like I said, I do think he's very good on ST and actually do like him as a situational player, but the guy is beyond horrendous in coverage. When he's not getting beat straight up by even the slowest, least talented of TEs, HBs and even FBs, he's tripping and falling completely untouched. That's simply unacceptable for your starter.

The problem is you can afford to have one hard-hitting safety that can't cover. You can't cover it up when the other safety is too small. They must have really wanted Smith back and could only get him back if they guaranteed him a starting job.

BG is right, our boy smith got turned around on that play and got beat by the RB to the flat. he did come back and speer the isht out of the RBs helmet afterward but if it was an out and up dunno if he could have caught up with him. He is the short armed version of idehibo. Pool didnt do isht either. I am hoping it is rust and that he will return to late last season form. he was very good then imo.

Back to the topic at hand,....the guy is beyond horrendous in coverage. When he's not getting beat straight up by even the slowest, least talented of TEs, HBs and even FBs, he's tripping and falling completely untouched. That's simply unacceptable for your starter.

This guy could not cover his grandmother with a blanket. In that 45 to 3 debacle against the Pats last year, the tight ends killed us and we could not cover them. I think this is a real weakness that should be addressed.

Smith is a liability in coverage. The weird thing is he was so good last year in the playoffs. I don't know if it was because they were playing more zone against Manning and Brady, but he looked like a starter then. I think the problems start when he has to man up against a tight end or back.

Smitty, But Just Replace One Letter – I know that Eric Smith is the anointed starter opposite Jim Leonhard. I know that he’s been named a captain of special teams. I know that he’s gotten a lot of kind remarks from Rex. I know all that. I’m sorry, I just don’t see him being the right guy for the Jets to start at the Safety spot – especially considering that he’s paired with Jimmy – who is at a physical disadvantage in covering RBs or TEs. Smitty was out of position on more than one play, to some bad results last night. I also think he might have gotten away with a helmet to helmet hit on that sideline tackle. He’s not the coverage player that I think the team needs, especially in situations where his primary responsibility is to cover a RB or TE in a passing situation. Brodney Pool and Dwight Lowery are both sitting on the bench … I can’t help but think that they’re going to be seeing a lot of time, maybe even starting come mid-season.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/08/16/rapid-reaction-preseason-week-1-jets-at-texans

Did anybody else watch Pool last night? The guy was awful in coverage and absolutely no better then Smith. Where did this idea come from that Pool was good in coverage?

For their careers (and more importantly last year on the Jets) Pool has been FAAAAR better in coverage than Smith. That said, they absolutely both completely blew last night.

Not for nuthin (that expression is so stupid that it's funny) but Darren Sharper is still out there. Just saying.

If Rex is so bent on starting Smith, why not put him next to Revis Island where they will throw less? I don't see it either, but we'll give this a few weeks and see if he gets any better at coverage with more playing time.

I really don't think it was Smith who blew the coverage. You gotta understand as a safety, you aren't always in coverage. A lot of the time, the CB gets beat then the safety comes in to turn a big gain into a small gain. I rarely see Eric Smith miss those. Just because he's not stuck to the guy like glue, doesn't mean he's even supposed to be there. Obviously he's no Revis or Cromartie, but I like Eric Smith's smashmouth style, he just needs to clean up his penalties. Pool is a little better in coverage, but he's not really anything special, to be honest. I think they'll both get near equal playing time this year. Our team is deep, so "starter" might not mean much in this defensive system we have. He'll still play.

Archived