I know it's only one game

lancemehl

and I do understand it was a shortened preseason, but it really displayed exactly what you would expect. Following two great offseasons, the jets have done nothing to improve.

I thought we were looking at a team that basically had one deficiency. We had one hole to plug, and we simply didn't. Our defense is identical. Especially on the heels of the Vernon Gholston thing, a #6 pass rushing stud, a couple of 'late' draft picks isn't getting me excited. We have put the season on the shoulders of two rookies.... and also took away Sanchez' weapons and replaced them with.......well, two guys looking for a twilight paycheck, one coming off a two year bid in the clink. If you told me Brad Smith, Cothchery and Edwards would be gone, replaced with Derrick Mason and Plaxico, I wouldn't have celebrated. (Do they even have time to learn the airplane?

And Cromartie must feel great knowing that the number one priority was NOT getting to the QB, but was to replace him. lol

OH well......let's do it. Another year full of safety blitzes.

and I do understand it was a shortened preseason, but it really displayed exactly what you would expect. Following two great offseasons, the jets have done nothing to improve.

I thought we were looking at a team that basically had one deficiency. We had one hole to plug, and we simply didn't. Our defense is identical. Especially on the heels of the Vernon Gholston thing, a #6 pass rushing stud, a couple of 'late' draft picks isn't getting me excited. We have put the season on the shoulders of two rookies.... and also took away Sanchez' weapons and replaced them with.......well, two guys looking for a twilight paycheck, one coming off a two year bid in the clink. If you told me Brad Smith, Cothchery and Edwards would be gone, replaced with Derrick Mason and Plaxico, I wouldn't have celebrated. (Do they even have time to learn the airplane?

And Cromartie must feel great knowing that the number one priority was NOT getting to the QB, but was to replace him. lol

Safety blitzes will be lowered with the line push from Kenrick Ellis.

Very little change in the overall talent level here. Talent level wasn't keeping us from an SB, anyway.

Also, there will be a change in Sanchez from year 2 to 3.

If you think a team can improve its talent EVERY YEAR then you are kidding yourself.

Finally, the nonsense about the pass rush needs to end. It is not a problem. If your team keeps coming in the top 5 in total defense, then you don't have a "problem" to deal with. Sure, I would draft a nice OLB next year, but no, our top 5 defense doesn't have a "problem" so shut up already.

Very little change in the overall talent level here. Talent level wasn't keeping us from an SB, anyway.

Also, there will be a change in Sanchez from year 2 to 3.

If you think a team can improve its talent EVERY YEAR then you are kidding yourself.

Finally, the nonsense about the pass rush needs to end. It is not a problem. If your team keeps coming in the top 5 in total defense, then you don't have a "problem" to deal with. Sure, I would draft a nice OLB next year, but no, our top 5 defense doesn't have a "problem" so shut up already.

You're being mean. And our lack of pass rush was a problem last year. If you don't know that then you're not paying attention

I understand that this one game is so far all we have. But it's a small sample size. And if preseasons of the apst are any indication, the score is meaningless. Drawing much of a conclusion from it is almsot certainly a msitake,except Ducasse is right now not an NFL RT.

It is nearly impossible in the NFL to keep adding free agent pieces year after year without having to pay the piper at some point in the form of salary cap complications. Tannenbaum has done an awesome job of delaying salary cap issues and allowing this team to more or less stay together for another year. We have locked up our younger star players like Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis and held onto more high level street free agents than I expected, Holmes, Cromartie. This team's improvement is going to come in the strides that Sanchez makes in his third year. That plus improved runningback depth and better playmakers at our second and third receiver spots is what we should be looking forward to. If you can improve the offense and maintain the defense, then our offseason was a success.

We got younger on the DLine. may have even improved the quality(we will have to see).

Another fantastic year of experience for our young QB and HC. Going to the final 4 cannot be undervalued.

Defense secondary will be better after playing a complete year together. communication will improve.

We return the O-line that finished the year. another plus for cohesiveness.

Drafted a couple of receivers that we can groom behind 3 proven vets.

I really hope you're right, and I hope he can pick up the load left by losing our best D-lineman too. I just cant get excited.....you know....VG/

Pouha didn't leave! and I hope your not talking about Jenkins? who played a toatl of 2 1/2 games in 2 yrs!

I'm not sure what you mean. We had a bunch of backups at critical positions playing with the starters in that game. Sanchez went 5/6, with a gaping hole on the o-line, without Plax. Nothing to improve??? huh???? That's a much higher completion percentage than he had most of last year.

I thought we were looking at a team that basically had one deficiency. We had one hole to plug, and we simply didn't.

What is this "one hole to plug" nonsense. Did you even see the amount of free agents we had? We had tons of holes to plug.

Our defense is identical.

Only in the secondary.

Especially on the heels of the Vernon Gholston thing, a #6 pass rushing stud, a couple of 'late' draft picks isn't getting me excited. We have put the season on the shoulders of two rookies....

2009? We have rookies every year, man. Last year it was Kyle Wilson, before than Sanchez and Shonn Greene, 2 rookies who helped carry the team to the AFC championship.

and also took away Sanchez' weapons and replaced them with.......well, two guys looking for a twilight paycheck, one coming off a two year bid in the clink. If you told me Brad Smith, Cothchery and Edwards would be gone, replaced with Derrick Mason and Plaxico, I wouldn't have celebrated.

This argument has been done to death on here, I'm not even going to respond to that nonsense.

Wrong again. Santonio Holmes and David Harris were the main priorities. Then Cornerback.

I don't understand any point you're trying to make here. What are you actually saying besides whining and complaining in a rambling rant?

You're being mean. And our lack of pass rush was a problem last year. If you don't know that then you're not paying attention

8th in sacks isn't good enough? Just because it wasn't any ONE player racking up the stats, doesn't mean we didn't have a pass rush. We don't have an elite pass rusher, but our blitzing schemes are very good. That's how we generate pass rush, plus Calvin Pace wasn't 100% for most of last season. We'll be fine at pass rush. It's created because of Revis and Cromartie staying in single coverage, which opens guys up.

Our issue was the redzone last year, NOT PASS RUSH. We were 8th in sacs, 3rd in overall defense, but we were 11th in overall offense. It's blatantly obvious that our issues last year were on the offensive side of the ball, in particular the passing yards, in which we ranked 22nd in the league. Sorry bud. You are wrong.

Sorry but I don't agree. Our football team is one of the top 3 or 4 football teams in the NFL right now. Anyone can look at off-season or pre-season moves and try to make a case for down grade. But that is not the case. We have a very solid base, the defense is a top 5 defense. With that said improvement must come from the coaching in terms of in game strategy and adjustments, the QB taking the next step toward improvement and carrying most of the load, the running game is solid. and the receiving corps I think is as good as last year. Plax will have some rust, but once he gets back into the swing of things 4-5 games into it, watch out.

No improvement, but no decline overall either IMO. With all of the FA's we had that's a victory.

Shaun Ellis > Muhammed Wilkerson (until he proves otherwise)

Braylon Edwards > A guy that has spent the last two NFL seasons behind bars.

Damien Woody >>>>>>> Wayne Hunter.

I'd say those are three pretty big drop-offs.

Shaun Ellis > Muhammed Wilkerson (until he proves otherwise)

Braylon Edwards > A guy that has spent the last two NFL seasons behind bars.

Damien Woody >>>>>>> Wayne Hunter.

I'd say those are three pretty big drop-offs.

The top 2 are TBD, although it's possible you could turn out to be right, but could also end up completely wrong there, but the last one could not have been proven more incorrect already. Hunter was the Jets starting RT for the end of the season and the playoffs and there was no drop off at all in play.

Archived