NFL's Top Ten QB's

flgreen

Sorry but our WR situation puts us middle of the pack in the NFL IF and its a BIG IF they can stay healthy. You can dream all you want but Keller is no prize either, I think we all see the possiblites with him but he has got to be more consistent . You cant perform in 5 games then dissapear. Can you put him in the category of Gates Whitten or Clark ? no way ...once gain hes a middle of the road TE in the NFL until he proves differently.

Its up to Sanchez to lift the abilities of his receivers. Middle-of-the-pack ought to be good enough for a top 5 draft choice QB entering his 3rd season. And middle-of-the-pack is a LOT better than where our WR corps ranked at the beginning of the 2009 season. I'd say the Jets have done a fine job giving him talent.

Lest we forget, our O-line is one of the best in the business at protecting him, and we've had a fine running game and defense since Sanchez has been here. That has put him in a position to succeed just as much, if not moreso, than any pro bowl talent WR could do.

Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (since he's been in New Orleans) have NEVER had the kind of defense and running game that Sanchez has had.

trust me everything changes this year. The First team defense for the Texans has been lights out this preseason and the pass rush easily has the talent to elevate their secondary. Cant really argue it much until the real season begins but they certainly have the talent now to be a force and Wade Phillips may be an Idiot Head Coach but he s a hell of a DC.

Im gonna let you in on a little secret. The Panthers are going to be a damn good football team this year. Bank on it.

Where have I heard this before ;)

JF80 if you gave me the Choice of Moore, Meecham, Henderson and Colston over what we have now I would make that trade in seconds flat. Seconds !!

And that would be a moronic choice. I'm done on this debate if this is the position you're willing to take. Utterly ridiculous. All of those guys are JAG's except for Colston, who himself is injury prone.

Where have I heard this before ;)

Let be honest JVOR the Panthers Offense was crippled last year and you know it. if the jets lost 2 o-lineman 3 WR 2 RB you think we would be ok ? It spiraled out of control for that team early we cant predict injuries.

Let be honest JVOR the Panthers Offense was crippled last year and you know it. if the jets lost 2 o-lineman 3 WR 2 RB you think we would be ok ? It spiraled out of control for that team early we cant predict injuries.

They had a rash of injuries, but I still don't think they were going to be very good. Moore and Clausen wasn't taking them anywhere last year and their roster is pretty devoid of elite talent, especially after getting rid of Peppers.

And that would be a moronic choice. I'm done on this debate if this is the position you're willing to take. Utterly ridiculous.

LOL so you would rather have a 34 year old and a 37 year old rather than 2 of those receivers mentioned from New orleans ??? And you make it sound like even to mention it is absurd ?? My god man take off the green glasses please. You realize after a year or 2 the jets and mark Sanchez are searching for yet anothe group of WR's right ?? They have handled the WR situation poorly at best .

They had a rash of injuries, but I still don't think they were going to be very good. Moore and Clausen wasn't taking them anywhere last year and their roster is pretty devoid of elite talent, especially after getting rid of Peppers.

Not worth arguing over the Texans actully went out and signed some players and already have a prolific offense the panthers destroyed a good football teams with some terrible moves. Moore played fantastic the last five games of the 09 season and gave them all the more reason to go and at least get him something to work with. he could not even get set in the pocket and was running for his life not sure how thats his fault.

LOL so you would rather have a 34 year old and a 37 year old rather than 2 of those receivers mentioned from New orleans ??? And you make it sound like even to mention it is absurd ?? My god man take off the green glasses please. You realize after a year or 2 the jets and mark Sanchez are searching for yet anothe group of WR's right ?? They have handled the WR situation poorly at best .

Yes I would, and no blinders needed. Just shouting that they're old doesn't win you an argument. Even at 36 Mason was in the top 20 WR in productivity last season, and he's our # 3. If he hits the wall this year, I hear some kid named Jeremy Kerley kid is looking impressive already.

As for Burress, I think he'll be better and less riskier than Braylon Edwards would have been for us in 2011. If Braylon were really this supreme talent we had to have, then the market would have been higher on him and he wouldn't have simply settled for 1 year @ $3.5 million, which was a similar deal Burress accepted. Not to mention, two other successful franchises (Giants, Steelers) who had had Burress before also went after him. That gives me a LOT of confidence in what he brings to the table.

In the longterm, yes, we will need to bring in young talent at the WR position, preferably through the draft. But I can live with one year rentals when they're as talented and accomplished as Burress and Mason have been during their careers.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter if Mason and Burress aren't what they once were. The only thing that matters in all of this is that Sanchez plays better. Period. If that doesn't happen it wouldn't matter if our receivers are Holmes-Burress-Mason or Colston-Meachem-Moore.

Stop acting like you know better than our front office on this one, please. You're sounding like you could do better. If you really think that we could have done better, please explain what we should have done differently this offseason. I'd love to hear something tangible rather than just "37! 34! RABBLE!"

Yes I would, and no blinders needed. Just shouting that they're old doesn't win you an argument. Even at 36 Mason was in the top 20 WR in productivity last season, and he's our # 3. If he hits the wall this year, I hear some kid named Jeremy Kerley kid is looking impressive already.

As for Burress, I think he'll be better than Braylon Edwards would in 2011. Just wait.

In the longterm, yes, we will need to bring in young talent at the WR position, preferably through the draft. But I can live with one year rentals when they're as talented and accomplished as Burress and Mason have been during their careers.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter if Mason and Burress aren't what they once were. The only thing that matters in all of this is that Sanchez plays better. Period. If that doesn't happen it wouldn't matter if our receivers are Holmes-Burress-Mason or Colston-Meachem-Moore.

Stop acting like you know better than our front office on this one, please. You're sounding like you could do better. If you really think that we could have done better, please explain what we should have done differently this offseason. I'd love to hear something tangible rather than just "37! 34! RABBLE!"

What has Kerley done to LOOK impressive other than reports out of camp ? Come on man

if you think age has nothing to do with the growth and eventual growth of a QB asking him to get used to new WR's each year you are making a huge mistake. I can understand needing to plug a weakness on an established team like say the Colts or the Pats with an Older player because their QB's and their systems are stable. Our QB is approaching his break out status and it was beyond stupid to bring in two old men who might give us a year or 2 and force our young QB to get used to them just in time for them to retire. The Jets have handeled the WR position horribly for the past 12 years, HORRIBLY.

I hope Mason and Plax can stay healthy and not hit a brick wall in the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs but thats a question mark at their age and to dismiss that is foolish at best. Remember sh*tty does not work in other WR's into his schemes but Santonio and Braylon were able to handle that load because they were young... you think Mason and Plax can handle that every down load ? A hall of famer like LT couldnt do it his entire career but 34 and 37 year olds at WR are going to be fine ??

As for Burress, I think he'll be better and less riskier than Braylon Edwards would have been for us in 2011. If Braylon were really this supreme talent we had to have, then the market would have been higher on him and he wouldn't have simply settled for 1 year @ $3.5 million, which was a similar deal Burress accepted. Not to mention, two other successful franchises (Giants, Steelers) who had had Burress before also went after him. That gives me a LOT of confidence in what he brings to the table.

Our front office got Plax in between flights and guaranteed him 3 mil without a workout and they cut Cotchery before even getting a confirmation from Mason. Stop kissing the front office a$$, they took 2 huge risks that were borderline ridiculous. All you read about in the NFL is age ...it effects players in this sport more than any other yet now that the Jets have signed 2 old men age means nothing all of a sudden the Jets are immune to age hey we got O-line issues lets go sign Faneca :rolleyes:

Believe me JF80 Im hopeing im 100 % wrong when it comes to if these guys can handle a full season but like I said to just dismiss the age factor is silly and a real bad arguement on your part . If the Sants came to us right now and said will give ya Colston and Moore for Plax and Mason we would have to be complete idiots not to jump on that move. problem is they are not idiots and would never make such an offer.

What kind of comments are these ?

The age arguement is legitimate -- You dont have to agree with it but it certainly exists.

This is a football message board designed for people like you and me to debate team issues on how we feel . It does not make me better than the front office nor should it even be a comparison.

If you want my opinion on the offseason its this. I think the Jets should have signed both Santonio and Edwards and also added Plaxico. Plax could have played as a part timer to keep him fresh come playoff time and gave us the Red Zone that we needed. IMO asking 2 old WR's to take on full time roles is insane for a team on the brink of a SB taking chances like this is just plain stupid. if you disagree thats fine state you disagree without saying my ideas are Rabble or intangible and we can leave it at a disagreement.

So let me get this straight, Smash. You're going to say Kerley hasn't proven anything moments after saying this is a young man's game. Guess what. Cotchery was a 4th rounder. Mason was a 4th rounder. I'm not saying Kerley is going to be the next Jerry Rice, but I am saying hes impressed the coaching staff immensely and has looked good so far in the preseason.

But let's just assume you're opposed to depending on aging players and rookies. That leaves us with trying to get proven guys in their prime, right? Well that takes dollars. Dollars we already spent on Santonio Holmes. Dollars we already spent on Cromartie. Dollars we already have tied into Sanchez, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, and Revis. That doesn't leave much money for the WR position, sorry.

Your suggestion was to keep Braylon. Loud and clear, I wanted Braylon back too, but it would have cost us. But you also suggest that getting Plaxico would have been a good idea (as long as Braylon was already here). Really? So you're going to spit on the move and then suggest it at the same time?

This is pointless. You're blinded by the poor decisions made by past Jets front offices. Am I kissing up to our current front office? Hell yeah I am. This is the same front office that gave us Rex Ryan, who subsequently took us to the brink of the Super Bowl his first two years with a QB who left school a year early. I'd say they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one.

So let me get this straight, Smash. You're going to say Kerley hasn't proven anything moments after saying this is a young man's game. Guess what. Cotchery was a 4th rounder. Mason was a 4th rounder. I'm not saying Kerley is going to be the next Jerry Rice, but I am saying hes impressed the coaching staff immensely and has looked good so far in the preseason.

But let's just assume you're opposed to depending on aging players and rookies. That leaves us with trying to get proven guys in their prime, right? Well that takes dollars. Dollars we already spent on Santonio Holmes. Dollars we already spent on Cromartie. Dollars we already have tied into Sanchez, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, and Revis. That doesn't leave much money for the WR position, sorry.

Your suggestion was to keep Braylon. Loud and clear, I wanted Braylon back too, but it would have cost us. But you also suggest that getting Plaxico would have been a good idea (as long as Braylon was already here). Really? So you're going to spit on the move and then suggest it at the same time?

This is pointless. You're blinded by the poor decisions made by past Jets front offices. Am I kissing up to our current front office? Hell yeah I am. This is the same front office that gave us Rex Ryan, who subsequently took us to the brink of the Super Bowl his first two years with a QB who left school a year early. I'd say they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one.

That's really the problem though. There's a significant number of people on this board who have made it abundantly clear this offseason that they will forever be unsatisfied and complain about this team until every single roster spot, be it starter or backup, is filled with an already proven, future HOF type talent in their 20s. If they're older, then it's impossible that they possibly continue to perform at a level even close to what they did just last year, and if they are too young then they are completely unreliable and unproven and therefore cannot be counted on to produce anything whatsoever.

That's really the problem though. There's a significant number of people on this board who have made it abundantly clear this offseason that they will forever be unsatisfied and complain about this team until every single roster spot, be it starter or backup, is filled with an already proven, future HOF type talent in their 20s. If they're older, then it's impossible that they possibly continue to perform at a level even close to what they did just last year, and if they are too young then they are completely unreliable and unproven and therefore cannot be counted on to produce anything whatsoever.

Like I said before Bleedin if this were another team who signed old men to the roster at the same positon while trying to compete for a SB adding substantial risk to the equasion most people here including you would have been laughing your asses off ripping them apart for it but hey its the Jets so all logic gets pushed aside. Just like when I used to make the Pennington arguements and I said our WWR corp was horrible the answers I got back were the Jets WR's were top five in the NFL (cloes and Cotch and no TE to speak of) its the same old crap people will say WTF they want to make their arguement look good and not discuss whats staring them right in the face. I certainly hope you dreamers are right

Look Ive been positive and optimistic about plenty this offseason just because Im not happy about the WR situation I get called Ridiculous and a complainer. I hope our WR's can carry the load all year and be fresh during the playoffs as well . I hope they break it wide open I really do and Ill be rooting for them to do it all year long.

Positives Ive seen so far.

Defensive line Wilk and Ellis look pretty stout

I loved watching Dan DePalma and cant wait until tonight to seee him play again.

Cumberland looks like the real deal.

I like the way McElroy looked at QB and he handled the pressure well when he could have just folded, much more than Kellen ever did for this team under pressure.

Powell looked like hes the real deal both running and catching the football.

Negatives

O-Line Depth may be an issue

WR's are OLD can they give us a full season ? Can they be fresh in the playoffs ?

JF80 Im sorry for debating this issue I mean its common knowledge that age means nothing in the NFL so Im not sure wtf I was thinking. Next time Ill try and be a bit more logical when making an arguement.

JF80 Im sorry for debating this issue I mean its common knowledge that age means nothing in the NFL so Im not sure wtf I was thinking. Next time Ill try and be a bit more logical when making an arguement.

Age means something but talent means more. Burress and Mason are more talented than Edwards and Cotchery. Period. If age catches up with them, who cares? We had the # 25 passing attack last year. We can't GET much worse. And at that point we'll hope that guys like Keller, LT, Kerley, and maybe even 6-5 Patrick Turner or Jeff Cumberland can step up and fill in the gaps alongside a premiere talent in Santonio Holmes. That's what good teams do; they send in the next guy.

You're not being logical. You're just making assumptions.

Age means something but talent means more. Burress and Mason are more talented than Edwards and Cotchery. Period. If age catches up with them, who cares? We had the # 25 passing attack last year. We can't GET much worse. And at that point we'll hope that guys like Keller, LT, Kerley, and maybe even 6-5 Patrick Turner or Jeff Cumberland can step up and fill in the gaps alongside a premiere talent in Santonio Holmes. That's what good teams do; they send in the next guy.

You're not being logical. You're just making assumptions.

Cotch was a solid WR here he was not great but last year the guy played hurt and got RIPPED for it what a horror. Then we were told he was not healthty and a week later hes catching TDs in a prseason game for the Steelers. I always liked Cotch hes a tough guy who made some big plays for us in both playoff runs. But hes not here anymore, he plays for the enemy (so Im not going to wish the guy luck ) :). Like I said JF I dont want to be right in this situation I hope im wrong 1000 times over. Continuing to argue it makes me feel like less of a Jets fan and Im no longer willing to do that. Im usually on the other side of these arguements being positive about players here. Unless of course your name is Vernon or Vlad It must have something to do with the letter V or maybe when you put 2 V's together :) . And for what its worth I think Depalma is better than Kerley :):P And I loved Patrick Turner last year as well lets blame it all on Shotty and forget about this rotten debate.... Cool ? :)

Like I said before Bleedin if this were another team who signed old men to the roster at the same positon while trying to compete for a SB adding substantial risk to the equasion most people here including you would have been laughing your asses off ripping them apart for it but hey its the Jets so all logic gets pushed aside. Just like when I used to make the Pennington arguements and I said our WWR corp was horrible the answers I got back were the Jets WR's were top five in the NFL (cloes and Cotch and no TE to speak of) its the same old crap people will say WTF they want to make their arguement look good and not discuss whats staring them right in the face. I certainly hope you dreamers are right

Look Ive been positive and optimistic about plenty this offseason just because Im not happy about the WR situation I get called Ridiculous and a complainer. I hope our WR's can carry the load all year and be fresh during the playoffs as well . I hope they break it wide open I really do and Ill be rooting for them to do it all year long.

Don't get me wrong, that's not singling you out, it was just a general response to JF80s point about what this offseason is like. I know you're far from anything close to the most negative about this team. As far as your point about the WRs, I think I've made it pretty clear I'm not in love with every single move, and have expressed as much. Prior to FA, I was one of the biggest proponents of Braylon over Holmes and even after Holmes was locked up, wanted them to get Edwards back, but it didn't happen. I certainly also don't trust that Burress is a sure thing for this team, and am cautiously optimistic about the team this year. On the flip side, that's why I liked the Mason signing because regardless of his age, the guy was one of the best #2 WRs in the entire league last year and even if effected by age, is certainly a nice insurance policy to have on this team, and could be a hell of a #3 option if Burress works out. It's not like it's been all fantastic changes and you have to love everything, but it's also a matter of being realistic. Sure it would've been great to keep everyone or get some better, younger guys in FA, but that really wasn't feasible. The Jets managed to get away with what they did last year because of the number of guys they had on a lot cheaper deals than they were worth. But on the flip side, there was a different cost to that. The Jets had Braylon, Holmes and Cromartie on the cheap last year salary wise, but that's three guys also cost them and 2nd, 3rd, 2 5ths and a handful of players. These guys needed new, bigger money long term contracts and that was going to have some affect on what other things the Jets could do. In the end, you have to consider that they have to do what they can within the spoke of the options they have. It doesn't mean everything is perfect, it just means that things aren't such an unimaginable disaster that some around here ark making it out to be.

Actully no I wouldnt I think he will eventually get to that level. Its something we know will never happen (meaning a trade) so I can have my crazy thoughts and be just fine with it :)

Visa Tony Romo has put up some very good years ....Without our top Defense Im not sure Sanchez could have led this team too 2 straight AFCCG if you think other wise your nuts.

You're joking, right?

trust me everything changes this year. The First team defense for the Texans has been lights out this preseason and the pass rush easily has the talent to elevate their secondary. Cant really argue it much until the real season begins but they certainly have the talent now to be a force and Wade Phillips may be an Idiot Head Coach but he s a hell of a DC.

Umm I'm actually watching the Texans and Saints game right now on DVR and the Saints have been driving up and down the field on them the entire first half. Their secondary is going to be a lot better with Jonathan Joseph and Daniel Manning coming over, but teams will continue to pick on Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson. The are soft up the middle and light, they get pushed around by a good interior line. Still can't stop the run.

I think they'll win the division with 10 or 11 wins, but only because I think Manning and the Colts will get off to a really slow start.

Archived