Mangold hopes to play on Sunday..

Steveg

Jets C Nick Mangold hopes to play Sunday, says he's 'day-to-day' with ankle

Nick Mangold is not resigning to time tables or target dates. He said he is still preparing to be the the team's starting center come Sunday in Oakland.

When asked specifically about a 2-3 week time stamp that's been typically associated with the high ankle sprain he suffered against Jacksonville, he offered this:

"That's not my report," Mangold said. "I'm going day-to-day."

The conversation between Mangold and Rex Ryan, the definite one that holds the fate of his 82 consecutive starts, has not happened yet. But when it does, Mangold said he will open with the word "please." As in, "can I please play?"

Earlier in the day, Rex Ryan said Mangold is still "very iffy."

"You don't want anything lingering and I think that's the fear of the injury, trying to rush back before it's ready. So I'm going to make sure it's ready," Mangold said. "But I'm going to make sure to be ready as soon as possible."

Mangold said that the streak does mean something to him, though it's not the determining factor.

"I'm no Favre, but 82 is a special thing and I'm proud of that," Mangold said. "But I'm not going to put myself or the team in detriment over a number.

"I don't even want to speculate, it's going to be weird if it comes to (missing a game). It was weird missing a preseason game, I don't even want to think about a regular season game."

His replacement, for now, is still Colin Baxter. Though Ryan said today that starting guard Matt Slauson could also bump down to center and Vladimir Ducasse could slot in at guard if the need arises. Slauson said he was taking scout team reps at center toward the end of practice today. He played three games at center against Tampa Bay as a rookie when Mangold went down.

Ducasse takes reps at both tackle and guard normally, he said.

Baxter has been working long hours with both Mangold and Rob Turner, who would have backed up Mangold had he not broken his leg against Houston in the preseason.

"(Turner) has been a huge help," Baxter said. "He's gotten in there with me, (spent) extra time after meetings, making sure that I'm on the same page as everyone else and that I understand everything and I think I'm there, or pretty close to it."

Mangold added:

"(Baxter has only been here two, two-and-a-half weeks so we're just trying to get years worth of the system into a couple of days. Trying to get him on board, same page in case we use him. I want the guys around him, if he needs to be called up, to be comfortable with what he's doing. My goal is to get him ready."

Seven weeks or zero? Must be seven, I mean that ankle sprain was "high"!

Slauson said he was taking scout team reps at center toward the end of practice today. He played three games at center against Tampa Bay as a rookie when Mangold went down.

Three plays or three series? I'm pretty sure they didn't play Tampa three times in 2009. Good to hear that Turner is helping the guy that is going to get cut as soon as Turner heals.

You have to love Mangold's heart and desire to compete, but as I've said time and time again, you have to consider D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Mark Sanchez as our three most important players in regards to the potential of our offensive attack. We need Mangold at 100%. With all that said, if Mangold feels he's able to play against the Raiders, our coaching staff must say 'no' for Sundays game. Mangold is extremely important, but against the Raiders, with or without Mangold... This is a team that we're expected to beat, if not destroy in Oakland. Stay off that ankle this week, and hopefully he'll be ready to go against the Ravens, during a game where he'll truly be needed.

Mangold is an absolute monster. Doesn't surprise me in the least that he's taking this position, but it's still great to see. When he got hurt my immediate comment was that he's a guy who's taken some nasty shots over his career but every time he's right back out on that field as soon as they'll let him. Of course keep in mind I was in the stadium so didn't get a good look at what happened, but the point still stands. No doubt the coaching and medical staff need to be the ones to make the right decision here, but regardless if he plays or not, it's still great to see things like this.

Mangold is a beast. You could tell even right after he got hurt, he wanted back in. I'd rather see him better for Balt and NE, than have him risk making it worse against Oakland, but it would be sweet if he was back for Balt. Some people were even saying 4-6 weeks, but I doubt it. He'll be back for the Pats at the absolute latest.

If Mangold doesn't go to Oakland, then who's going to make funny faces at the camera when they interview Sanchez?

Mangold is a beast. You could tell even right after he got hurt, he wanted back in. I'd rather see him better for Balt and NE, than have him risk making it worse against Oakland, but it would be sweet if he was back for Balt. Some people were even saying 4-6 weeks, but I doubt it. He'll be back for the Pats at the absolute latest.

If Mangold doesn't go to Oakland, then who's going to make funny faces at the camera when they interview Sanchez?

Sure as hell better not be Hunter. In fact, I'm kinda pissed Hunter was doing that in the preseason in light of how sh*tty he's been thus far.

I'm sure someone will step up in his place.

love ya nick, but don't even get on the plane for oakland. hang in the tub and get well

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- All-Pro center Nick Mangold will not travel with the New York Jets for their game at Oakland on Sunday because of a high ankle sprain, and rookie Colin Baxter will start in his place.

Coach Rex Ryan says Friday that Mangold is "just not ready," but acknowledged he's doing "really well" and wouldn't rule him out to play next week at Baltimore. Ryan says the nature of the injury, the cross-country flight and facing a difficult Raiders defensive line all contributed to the decision to leave Mangold home.

Mangold was on the field during practice, wearing a boot on his right foot. He is walking without a limp but isn't ready physically for an NFL game.

atta boy rex

Archived