Quote Of The Year!!!

SoFlaJets

An era-ending loss for Dolphins, Ireland and Sparano

Cleveland's 17-16 comeback says it's all over but the firings

Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist

8:19 p.m. EDT, September 25, 2011

CLEVELAND

The most important person for the Dolphins future entered the back of the press box before the start of Sunday's era-ending loss. He talked briefly with a couple of writers. He traded distant greetings as defensive coordinator Mike Nolan moved down the hall to the coaches' booth.

Carl Peterson then assured one thing before leaving to watch the Titanic sink a little more.

"I'm here for FanVision,'' he said of the sports-television business he runs with his partner, Dolphins owner Steve Ross.

Maybe so. But every sports owner needs a football man to trust when it comes to the foundation-shaking moves Ross is facing after Sunday's loss to Cleveland, 17-16.

Peterson, Ross's good friend and former Kansas City general manager, becomes that man now. All the proper people will say all the proper things inside the Dolphins about odds, hope, determination and fighting the good fight.

But you know this regime is done. I know it. Bill Parcells knows it from his cozy ESPN studio. The Dolphins he assembled are 0-3 on merit after Sunday. It showed there's a rebuilding job coming up to rival the one he attempted.

Some Dolphins couldn't even talk properly anymore.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting,'' Chad Henne said.

Yep, no one quits quite like these guys.

If ever a team was poised to roll over and play dead, it was Cleveland. It didn't have its best player in running back Peyton Hillis. Its quarterback, Colt McCoy, had a zero rating after the first quarter.

Its fans were booing, gently, like you might softly correct a child for turning in a sloppy homework assignment. No one takes the Browns too seriously. The Dolphins led 7-0, and it could have been 17-0 if not for a Reggie Bush fumble and a missed, admittedly long 51-yard field goal.

"We had it all there for the taking,'' cornerback Sean Smith said. "And we didn't take it."

You know who gets the most blame here? The offense. And the coaching. Oh, the defense collapsed at the end, allowing Mr. Zero Rating to go 80 yards to throw the winning touchdown with 43 seconds left.

But why was Cleveland even in position? Because the offense kicked field goals in the red zone. Again. What's more, on the final one, they didn't even try to score a touchdown. On first down from the Cleveland 23, here were the play calls:

Run over left guard.

Run over left guard.

Short pass incomplete.

In crunch time, the Dolphins' new-era offense reverted back to its old ways. It played to win by field goals. It has one touchdown each of the past two games. And when it got the ball with 36 seconds left needing just 15 yards to get in field-goal position, it went nowhere.

Three incompletions followed by a pick. That's how you judge NFL quarterbacks. Henne got outplayed by Colt McCoy, no matter what the passing yards (Henne 255, McCoy 210) and quarterback ratings (Henne 90.4, McCoy 71.5) offer.

"Statistics don't matter, that's what I say,'' Sparano said about the way the Dolphins piled up numbers again this game. "The end result matters, winning the football game."

Sparano is a good, smart, football man in the way predecessors like Cam Cameron and Dave Wannstedt weren't in this job. But everyone knew the stakes this year. And, at 0-3, everyone knows what's eventually coming, too.

That's why Peterson's role looms over this season now. Ross wants to do the right thing. But big-money deals are his expertise. Not football decisions. That was proven last off-season on his coast-to-coast jaunt to talk with Jim Harbaugh.

There's no sense in firing Sparano and GM Jeff Ireland now. But a need might rise later in the year. Remember, the front office had to be empty with games left in 2007 to woo Parcells from Atlanta's offer.

As it is, it's still September, and the games look meaningless. But at least you can bank on this: No one's going to stop quitting.

An era-ending loss for Dolphins, Ireland and Sparano

Cleveland's 17-16 comeback says it's all over but the firings

Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist

8:19 p.m. EDT, September 25, 2011

CLEVELAND

The most important person for the Dolphins future entered the back of the press box before the start of Sunday's era-ending loss. He talked briefly with a couple of writers. He traded distant greetings as defensive coordinator Mike Nolan moved down the hall to the coaches' booth.

Carl Peterson then assured one thing before leaving to watch the Titanic sink a little more.

"I'm here for FanVision,'' he said of the sports-television business he runs with his partner, Dolphins owner Steve Ross.

Maybe so. But every sports owner needs a football man to trust when it comes to the foundation-shaking moves Ross is facing after Sunday's loss to Cleveland, 17-16.

Peterson, Ross's good friend and former Kansas City general manager, becomes that man now. All the proper people will say all the proper things inside the Dolphins about odds, hope, determination and fighting the good fight.

But you know this regime is done. I know it. Bill Parcells knows it from his cozy ESPN studio. The Dolphins he assembled are 0-3 on merit after Sunday. It showed there's a rebuilding job coming up to rival the one he attempted.

Some Dolphins couldn't even talk properly anymore.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting,'' Chad Henne said.

Yep, no one quits quite like these guys.

If ever a team was poised to roll over and play dead, it was Cleveland. It didn't have its best player in running back Peyton Hillis. Its quarterback, Colt McCoy, had a zero rating after the first quarter.

Its fans were booing, gently, like you might softly correct a child for turning in a sloppy homework assignment. No one takes the Browns too seriously. The Dolphins led 7-0, and it could have been 17-0 if not for a Reggie Bush fumble and a missed, admittedly long 51-yard field goal.

"We had it all there for the taking,'' cornerback Sean Smith said. "And we didn't take it."

You know who gets the most blame here? The offense. And the coaching. Oh, the defense collapsed at the end, allowing Mr. Zero Rating to go 80 yards to throw the winning touchdown with 43 seconds left.

But why was Cleveland even in position? Because the offense kicked field goals in the red zone. Again. What's more, on the final one, they didn't even try to score a touchdown. On first down from the Cleveland 23, here were the play calls:

Run over left guard.

Run over left guard.

Short pass incomplete.

In crunch time, the Dolphins' new-era offense reverted back to its old ways. It played to win by field goals. It has one touchdown each of the past two games. And when it got the ball with 36 seconds left needing just 15 yards to get in field-goal position, it went nowhere.

Three incompletions followed by a pick. That's how you judge NFL quarterbacks. Henne got outplayed by Colt McCoy, no matter what the passing yards (Henne 255, McCoy 210) and quarterback ratings (Henne 90.4, McCoy 71.5) offer.

"Statistics don't matter, that's what I say,'' Sparano said about the way the Dolphins piled up numbers again this game. "The end result matters, winning the football game."

Sparano is a good, smart, football man in the way predecessors like Cam Cameron and Dave Wannstedt weren't in this job. But everyone knew the stakes this year. And, at 0-3, everyone knows what's eventually coming, too.

That's why Peterson's role looms over this season now. Ross wants to do the right thing. But big-money deals are his expertise. Not football decisions. That was proven last off-season on his coast-to-coast jaunt to talk with Jim Harbaugh.

There's no sense in firing Sparano and GM Jeff Ireland now. But a need might rise later in the year. Remember, the front office had to be empty with games left in 2007 to woo Parcells from Atlanta's offer.

As it is, it's still September, and the games look meaningless. But at least you can bank on this: No one's going to stop quitting.

Herm is warming up the Fig Newtons!!!

Unless they don't want to.

IDK-I'm still convinced that Indy will tank the season. If there's one team that absolutely knows how drafting one player can cover up over any and almost every other bad move your coaches, FO, and owners do it's the Indianapolis Colts. I went back and looked at the 110 guys they have drafted since Peyton Manning, and had it not been for that one guy then NONE of them would even be involved in the NFL right now.

IDK-I'm still convinced that Indy will tank the season. If there's one team that absolutely knows how drafting one player can cover up over any and almost every other bad move your coaches, FO, and owners do it's the Indianapolis Colts. I went back and looked at the 110 guys they have drafted since Peyton Manning, and had it not been for that one guy then NONE of them would even be involved in the NFL right now.

They won't intentionally tank, but it'll be very easy for them to say that, even if Manning comes back in a month or so, that the best decision is to shut him down and try again next year. With Collins/Painter at QB, no chance that team ends up competitive. They could end up with the # 1 pick without even trying to lose.

You know if they tank the season Sparano won't be back next year....actually he might not be back at anyways, tanked season or not.

Bro-Sparano might not make it to Halloween-in fact I say Carl Peterson takes over the week before when Miami limps back home at 0-5

Archived