Open WR's

GangisGreen

Is it me or does it seem that our WR's are never open. Even when we complete a pass it is becuase Sanchez put the ball in a small window or the wr/te makes a great catch. Watching other teams, in particular the bills/pats game, it seems that there is always a open target with at least few yards separation. Now i know we love bashing Shotty, and I dont mean to start it again but is there any other factor than bad play design? Maybe bad routes by the WR? Whatever the reason it sure seems to be a constant problem.

I was thinking about this too...we have 3 pretty good threats in Plax, Holmes & Keller...one of those guys HAS to be open on every play...those are 3 guys that a defense has to account for. So if all 3 are covered we should be having a field day with the running game! Doesn't seem to be happening though

I've wondered this sometimes as well, because teams constantly stack the box against us. I don't think Holmes is nearly as good as other people seem to think he is,

On Sunday early, receivers were open as the Raiders were in man and the receivers could put moves on their guys and get separation. Midway through the 2nd quarter the Raider adjusted and went to a zone. Dumbass Schotty did not adjust and he had his receivers running routes into the teeth of the zone.

Holmes mentioned it in an interview Monday. The OC's failure to adjust was just terrible. He had a good game plan. It worked early. But when the opponent adjusted he either failed to recognize it refused to change things up for some odd reason.

when I played football in high school, our coach (on certain plays) used to have what he called a "floater". could be a WR, TE or HB, and whoever was the floater on that play would simply go where the coverage wasn't, worked pretty well actually

That would work in the NFL. I know most defenses don't account for every potential target going into each play. I say we just let a designated player that the defense isn't paying attention to run to the area in the defense where there is no coverage....

It think its design. I feel like we've been saying this for years with Schotty. The only game I can remember our WR's running lose was Arizona during the Favre game where he threw 6 TD's.

Seems like he throws a lot of dumby routes into the offense that are supposed to be decoy's but that just doesnt happen.

That would work in the NFL. I know most defenses don't account for every potential target going into each play. I say we just let a designated player that the defense isn't paying attention to run to the area in the defense where there is no coverage....

believe it or not it actually worked, the only problem is the QB had a tendency to automatically look at the floater, and in some cases just blatantly stare him down looking to get him the ball...but that was high school football. I'm sure professional athletes who do this for a living could make it work much better

believe it or not it actually worked, the only problem is the QB had a tendency to automatically look at the floater, and in some cases just blatantly stare him down looking to get him the ball...but that was high school football. I'm sure professional athletes who do this for a living could make it work much better

I thought you were describing Sanchez, not the HS quarterback.

I thought you were describing Sanchez, not the HS quarterback.

haha! I like Sanchez, I really do, he's got a great attitude...but he definitely has his issues. 3rd year is the year the game is supposed to start slowing down for a QB...not seeing it yet though! He does make some great plays, just not consistently.

On Sunday early, receivers were open as the Raiders were in man and the receivers could put moves on their guys and get separation. Midway through the 2nd quarter the Raider adjusted and went to a zone. Dumbass Schotty did not adjust and he had his receivers running routes into the teeth of the zone.

Holmes mentioned it in an interview Monday. The OC's failure to adjust was just terrible. He had a good game plan. It worked early. But when the opponent adjusted he either failed to recognize it refused to change things up for some odd reason.

If Holmes called out the OC once again, it's even more reason to be negative about this guy. He's a big time whiner.

I do remember watching one particular replay where Holmes is running open for a loooong time... about 20 yards worth of time, but kept running his route straight into coverage instead of breaking it off for a potential big gainer.

I dunno... I suppose you could be right about the adjustments.

If Holmes called out the OC once again, it's even more reason to be negative about this guy. He's a big time whiner.

I do remember watching one particular replay where Holmes is running open for a loooong time... about 20 yards worth of time, but kept running his route straight into coverage instead of breaking it off for a potential big gainer.

Except Holmes wasn't whining at all. He wants the team to be better and win. He went out of his way to say he doesn't give a damn if he catches a single pass so long as the team wins.

None of our receivers are ever open, going all the way back to when Pennington was running this offense with Coles and Cotchery. I believe those threads would contain words like "no separation".

We replaced, upgraded, all of our WR talent... and yet the problem still exists. I've hypothesized about the cause being route design - but others blame the players for not execution. Probably somewhere in the middle.

This.

Holmes has a ring on his finger and has the taste of what it feels like to be on top of the world. Would expect a player of his caliber to want to win it all over again. But when he sees the OC coming up short in what is the basic requirement of being successful at this level like making in game adjustments its only natural to get frustrated.

And its not the first time. In the game against Cleveland last year it was Holmes idea for the JETS to throw on a slant which Schotty had not done the entire game and did end up resulting in winning the game.

When a leader like Holmes expresses this feelings against the OC to the media its not just a raw after game reaction. This must be the feeling in the locker room for quite sometime on this issue and shows how much respect Schotty commands from his own players.

When a leader like Holmes expresses this feelings against the OC to the media its not just a raw after game reaction. This must be the feeling in the locker room for quite sometime on this issue and shows how much respect Schotty commands from his own players.

I disagree with all of this, starting from calling Holmes a leader. I've seen no evidence of that. What you say could possible be true, but I doubt it. When you consider how rarely the team ever says anything bad about Schotty when Rex lets them run their mouths at every opportunity I think to say this must be some long term feeling in the locker room is ridiculous.

I disagree with all of this, starting from calling Holmes a leader. I've seen no evidence of that. What you say could possible be true, but I doubt it. When you consider how rarely the team ever says anything bad about Schotty when Rex lets them run their mouths at every opportunity I think to say this must be some long term feeling in the locker room is ridiculous.

He is one of the captains on the team.

Is it me or does it seem that our WR's are never open. Even when we complete a pass it is becuase Sanchez put the ball in a small window or the wr/te makes a great catch. Watching other teams, in particular the bills/pats game, it seems that there is always a open target with at least few yards separation. Now i know we love bashing Shotty, and I dont mean to start it again but is there any other factor than bad play design? Maybe bad routes by the WR? Whatever the reason it sure seems to be a constant problem.

When teams know that you're running slant routes 95% of the time who the hell is going to be open?

Shotty needs to be fired. Then we'll get some open WR's

sorry Dom but i've watched too many offensive plays under schott's tenure to question Holmes' motive here. He is simply stating what we all know. schooty is a poor playcaller, bad gameplanner and a lousy in game adjuster.

sorry Dom but i've watched too many offensive plays under schott's tenure to question Holmes' motive here. He is simply stating what we all know. schooty is a poor playcaller, bad gameplanner and a lousy in game adjuster.

We all agree on his motive, the question is was is a heat of the moment blow up or a bubble from festering unrest in the locker room? Despite all the Schotty hate on here, it is very rare to hear a player complain about him. That made sense under Mangini who wouldn't let anybody talk, but Rex practically encourages it and this is his third year. I have heard Holmes spout off a bit both with Jets and Steelers. I don't think there is much to it besides frustration over a loss.

Archived