Identifying The Cracks: The Offensive Line- Bassett

Kentucky Jet

Identifying the Cracks: The Offensive Line

by Bassett on October 3rd, 2011 at 11:47 am

“If we don’t identify the cracks, we’re going to keep on having the same problems. I don’t know who’s going to fix it, but somebody’s got to man up and say, ‘Hey, we’ve got to get this done. (Cut) the dumb stuff.’”

– Derrick Mason

So where are all the cracks that Mason is talking about? Let’s talk about it in cause and effect fashion. We’ll start this series with what we think was the most important reason and the first domino to fall, then continue on throughout the day and tomorrow with the other following reasons on why this team can’t get out of their own way.

First off, as currently constituted, the Offensive Line is terrible.

It pains me as much to write it as it does to have you read it, but last year the Jets had a very good offensive line and they had two quality backups that were able to kick in when needed. While the backups were never starter quality for this team, they’d do in a pinch … and with the relative health of the Jets OL unit for the past three years, the Jets OL was rarely, if ever pinched.

Even with the talented skill players the team had, the strength of the offensive unit was undoubtedly the offensive line. They had three former first rounders at the most important spots (Brick, Mangold, Woody) and then two players that were groomed by the organization … one a veteran (Moore) who had been holding his own for years while the other was fresh meat (Slauson) who played for OL Coach Bill Callahan in college and whom was conveniently sandwiched between two of their young cornerstones.

Cimini stumped loudly for Brandon Moore to be considered as one of the best guards in the league, and while we think Moore’s good … we do think that the constant extolling of Moore’s virtues last year was starting to ring a little hollow by January. Moore’s good, but let’s not get carried away … he’s not exactly Steve Hutchinson reborn. In summation, the line was good, but not to be confused with great.

Fast forward to 2011. The Jets OL has a reputation that has carried them through some of their moves early in the year respective to the unit. The Jets cut Right Tackle Damien Woody to make a change at one of their most vital spots. Conventional wisdom was that the Jets would bring back Woody at a reduced salary, but it never happened. Then there was a buzz that Ducasse might be the man for the spot. But that had to be a frightening notion – even to the Jets. There was a thought that maybe cutting Woody was another “cut him a year too early” move like the team made with Alan Faneca … not a bad thought, but at the tackle spot it was riskier. From what I hear, Woody didn’t return because of any hesitance on his part. By every indication, he wanted to come back and play – but the Jets were just not serious about having him do so. Strike one.

And so the Jets chased Nnamdi Asomougha at the start of the free agency period, to the neglect of their offensive line. In what seemed at the time a calculated move, the Jets promoted their career backup Wayne Hunter (who’s already 30) and whom in his limited time as a starter or replacement never overly impressed me to become the new full-time starter at the Right Tackle spot.

Then to make matters worse, the Jets lost Rob Turner in the preseason’s first game. Strike two. If claxon alarms weren’t going off in the Jets front office at that point …

But the Jets continue to ignore the issue. Plowing on with increasing lower level talent in backup spots. The Jets are forced to fully retool their bench from a year ago behind Vlad Ducasse, who’s no an inspiring figure – to anyone. Once Turner was out, that was the sign to many fans that any pretense about this unit’s dominance was eroding … and just an injury away from sheer panic. But the Jets made no major moves despite what appeared to be serious concerns about the unit’s readiness.

What made matters with Turner worse was that they let the string play out for over a month, keeping a roster spot for him, before ultimately shelving him for the season just about a week ago. The Jets should have either fished or cut bait … but they decided to do both … crippling their ability to add a veteran to the roster during the cutdown process only to shelve him for the year just weeks later. The initial diagnosis was that Turner should be coming back to the field in the coming days … over-optimism, I suppose.

Across the field last night, the Ravens took a different approach during the preseason. Veteran Center Matt Birk was injured and the Ravens sought to bolster their line’s depth. While other teams were cutting players like Bryant McKinnie and Andre Gurode, the Ravens snapped up the two talented vets. Both players played last night in the game – both players were instrumental in establishing the Ravens line of scrimmage. While no one is going to send Gurode and McKinnie to the Pro Bowl, the Ravens strategy of shoring up their line sure looked like it’s working out better than whatever the Jets have been doing this year – especially since Turner’s injury.

Once Mangold went out, the roof officially caved in for the Jets.

Strike three.

And yet the Jets are still sitting amongst the debris. Instead of bringing in a veteran to help out, the Jets have entrusted an undrafted rookie at the Center spot who they found off waivers just weeks ago as a player who touches the ball on each and every offensive play of the game. Blame who you want about the missed snaps last night, but remember that Baxter’s just a soldier carrying out orders the best he can. It’s not working, and it hasn’t worked since Baxter was forced to play against the Jaguars, but the Jets just keep inexplicably doing it hoping for better results. Here’s a fact, Baxter has not played well, and beyond poor play, he’s also distracting his other line-mates from their true assignments, putting Mark Sanchez in harm’s way. Sorry, but Sanchez isn’t yet the sort of player to rise above the chaos going on in front of him yet. Maybe someday, but not today.

In desperation, the Jets tried Slauson at Center for a bit last night, and while it wasn’t horrific, Vlad Ducasse sabotaged using Slauson there. Shortly thereafter, Sanchez was doing rocksplosions with Colin Baxter while practicing their snaps on the sideline. After the game Ryan said they were letting Baxter compose himself – but the truth is evident. The Jets would rather play Colin Baxter at Center than have their supposed #1 backup Vlad Ducasse in the game in any capacity. A kick in the balls would feel better than knowing that fact.

It is a painful realization of just how far this unit has fallen from grace. Yet I still wonder if the Jets even get it.

So, what’s to be done now?

How do they fix the cracks, or in this case, the gaping holes? Even if Mangold can play next week, it doesn’t address all the line’s problems. They can’t go back in time and un-IR Turner – which means that they’re still very susceptible to injuries across the line. Given the prospect of having Vlad Ducasse or a healthy Rob Turner play Left Tackle in the event of a Ferguson injury … who would you have rather played there?

I know my answer.

Even when Mangold was playing, the offensive line wasn’t generating a push to run the ball effectively – and so the Jets have been forced to throw it. If they are spending more time pass protection, this then means their linemen are going to take more of a beating over the rest of the season. Most lineman secretly hate pass protection for that very reason. Like it or not, the Jets need to add one or two veteran depth players at the OL spot – even if just as backups to post-pre-emptively stem the tide against further injuries.

Rewind back to the draft for a moment. Remember hearing buzz that the Jets were serious about drafting an offensive lineman? Wayne Hunter is a big part of the reason they must have considered it. Vlad too. Wayne Hunter has gotten off easy in this post, but there’s no mistaking that he is a big part of dragging this unit down. He’s not getting the proper road grading push for a true Right Tackle, and he’s a detriment in pass protection if up against an athletic end. This then means the Jets need to re-deploy more resources (How much time was Mulligan on the right side of the line last night? Like every play?) to his side.

If the Jets can find someone off the free agent wire who they think has a remote chance at challenging Hunter at the Right Tackle spot, then they need to put the players through their paces for the starting spot. I know it’s more chaos and more drama for the team mid-season but if the Jets’ are actually serious about their stated goal of getting to the Super Bowl, then there’s no way this unit as currently constituted can take them there.

The picking might be slim, but are they any worse than what we’ve already seen?

imo the oline gets your RB the first 3 yards, that was my frustration with T.Jones back in the day because he was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. if S.Greene could get those first 3 yards from our line he would at least get the next 2 on his own. I was looking forward to a bronco's type run where we could plug in later draft picks of 1 dimensional backs to pound the rock. now it looks like we are left with a shell of our former stacked line...

if they don't at least bring in 10 o-lineman for "tryout tuesday" the season is over

if they think they can coach these guys up or they'll "hold the fort" they are idiots

make a big trade, pick a guy off a PS or bring in some old dudes

what about the giants cast offs ?

I mean something has to be done this week, or it's over

This is the most accurate article i've seen all season concerning the Jets issues. There is no arguing against any of it. Not even from the Homers and apologists. This season is on Tannenbaum's head. I mean, did we need Nnamdi Asomougha? Really? That was our focus? Unfreakingbelievable.

I totally agree with this. I didn't agree at all what happened in the FA period. They had chances to make this team better and add some depth, instead they let Nnamdi string them along while the jets missed on some real help.

Oh please. Why didn't the Jets sign Gurode? The Ravens signed him because their center was hurt. The Jets had Mangold. He wouldn't have come here. You could make a case for McKinnie, but he was supposedly 400 pounds coming to camp, he has a ton of off the field concerns and he hasn't exactly been performing at a high level. He was all negatives on the Football Outsiders analysis. Better than Hunter, but far from good.

Stupidest line: "I know my answer" "Like it or not, the Jets need to add one or two veteran depth players at the OL spot" Who, genius? It is possible that some of the injured guys, like Seubert or Ohara are getting healthy enough to pick up. It's also a long shot possiblity that some piece of sh*t old bastard like Leonard Davis might have some value. I doubt it. The Dolphins had most of those guys in and didn't sign them and despite the fact that Chicken Little Jets fans have decided the Jets are the worst offensive line in football, I think the Dolphins are in a little worse shape and they are still going with Colombo who is about 2 spots ahead of Hunter on the tackle ratings (Clary is in between)..

Did anyone here think the O-line was going to be a problem heading into the season? Our depth on the line wasn't impacted until Rob Turner got injured. And no one expected Wayne Hunter, Matt Slauson, AND Brandon Moore all to regress. Even Ferguson and Mangold (when healthy) haven't been performing up to their usual standards.

If you're looking to point a finger, what about Bill Callahan? Didn't he have a say in bringing in Ducasse? Isn't he supposed to be the guy that was the biggest reason this was an elite unit?

And who, exactly, were we supposed to bring in during the offseason to proactively fix the o-line anyways? We made the moves we did under the assumption that O-line was one of our positions we didn't have to worry about. Since no one here saw it coming, you don't get to say that this is all Tannenbaum's fault.

I'm sorry, but losing an aging declining Damien Woody should not be the reason why the offensive line is HORRIBLE. Losing 1 player shouldnt have that much of an impact. He wasnt that good. Hunter out played him when he started for him in numerous games.

The OL situation is just weird.

I'm sorry, but losing an aging declining Damien Woody should not be the reason why the offensive line is HORRIBLE. Losing 1 player shouldnt have that much of an impact. He wasnt that good. Hunter out played him when he started for him in numerous games.

The thing that has me scratching my head most is Brandon Moore's decline. What the hell happened to him?

If you look around the league, a lot of O-lines have been having issues, most notably the Steelers. But you would expect that an intact unit with the same coaches and scheme would stand to perform better than other lines that added new faces, what with the shortened offseason to get everyone up to speed.

But when your best linemen are struggling, ones who are categorically considered some of the best in the business, what do you do?

Maybe our line would have done well to have their own "Jets West" type camp. They all seem either out of synch or perhaps out of shape.

Hunter obviously played above his ability level last year... and has come back to reality this year.

OL's around the league are struggling though... part of me wonders if this is the result of the new non-contact clauses the players asked for in the CBA, or whatever. Injuries are piling up at an alarming rate, and everything related to contact seems to be a mess... OL play, tackling, running games... all seem to be struggling, while QBs are having a field day early on.... what was it 15 QBs that threw for over 300 yards in week 1?

The thing that has me scratching my head most is Brandon Moore's decline. What the hell happened to him?

If you look around the league, a lot of O-lines have been having issues, most notably the Steelers. But you would expect that an intact unit with the same coaches and scheme would stand to perform better than other lines that added new faces, what with the shortened offseason to get everyone up to speed.

But when your best linemen are struggling, ones who are categorically considered some of the best in the business, what do you do?

Maybe our line would have done well to have their own "Jets West" type camp. They all seem either out of synch or perhaps out of shape.

Honestly dude, I dont know. My only explination is Space Jam aliens stole their game.

I expected the OL to be a strength of the team, as usual. Not 1 player, other than Baxter now, is new to this system. We have 3 top notch pro bowl caliber guys and 2 players who were very solid last season...typically, that equates to a very good OL.

Its baffles me. Moore is obviously not over his injury. Slauson is clearly struggling not sandwiched between 2 studs and Hunter is just confusing. He literally look like he forgot how to play Football. This is the guy that didnt allow a sack against the Steelers and those edge rusher and the Colts with Freeney and Mathis. Its just weird.

Did anyone here think the O-line was going to be a problem heading into the season? Our depth on the line wasn't impacted until Rob Turner got injured. And no one expected Wayne Hunter, Matt Slauson, AND Brandon Moore all to regress. Even Ferguson and Mangold (when healthy) haven't been performing up to their usual standards.

If you're looking to point a finger, what about Bill Callahan? Didn't he have a say in bringing in Ducasse? Isn't he supposed to be the guy that was the biggest reason this was an elite unit?

And who, exactly, were we supposed to bring in during the offseason to proactively fix the o-line anyways? We made the moves we did under the assumption that O-line was one of our positions we didn't have to worry about. Since no one here saw it coming, you don't get to say that this is all Tannenbaum's fault.

The only thing I think Tanny needs to catch some sh*t for is not making a move earlier to address some depth concerns once Turner went down. Frankly, the Jets probably could've used some more depth even prior to that, but with a healthy Turner you can somewhat excuse it, after that though something should have been done, and everyone was even saying it at the time. Not that there was some great answer to the Jets OL woes available at the time, but there were certainly better options than an UDFA rookie picked off of waivers a week before the season.

Really the biggest screw up was that the Jets thought they had their bases covered between Hunter and Ducasse that at least one of the two would be able to step up if the other couldn't, but both have been a disaster so far. Considering how well Hunter played at the end of last year I think most thought the Jets played that one right, but it's certainly blown up in their faces. That has been compounded by the fact that playing next to Hunter is the guy who's been a realiable starter on this OL for the prior 7 seasons, who is clearly having some serious issues so far this year. It's really no one single problem that's a simple fix, but the issue is that with absolutely no depth on the OL, there isn't even any means that they can attempt to fix it with what they currently have.

The Moore thing is the key. Not only is Hunter one of the worst OL in the league, Moore is playing like crap.

Remember Moore had offseason hip surgery. Hip surgery is serious business. He's not a young guy. I don't think he is recovered from it. He has no quickness, and no power. Will he recover? Perhaps. Perhaps not. It could also be that Hunter's suckatude is really throwing him off his game. Especially when there are blitzs coming. Most teams will blitz the Jets now

The only thing I think Tanny needs to catch some sh*t for is not making a move earlier to address some depth concerns once Turner went down. Frankly, the Jets probably could've used some more depth even prior to that, but with a healthy Turner you can somewhat excuse it, after that though something should have been done, and everyone was even saying it at the time. Not that there was some great answer to the Jets OL woes available at the time, but there were certainly better options than an UDFA rookie picked off of waivers a week before the season.

Really the biggest screw up was that the Jets thought they had their bases covered between Hunter and Ducasse that at least one of the two would be able to step up if the other couldn't, but both have been a disaster so far. Considering how well Hunter played at the end of last year I think most thought the Jets played that one right, but it's certainly blown up in their faces. That has been compounded by the fact that playing next to Hunter is the guy who's been a realiable starter on this OL for the prior 7 seasons, who is clearly having some serious issues so far this year. It's really no one single problem that's a simple fix, but the issue is that with absolutely no depth on the OL, there isn't even any means that they can attempt to fix it with what they currently have.

Week 2 of the preseason was more than enough time to realize that Ducasse was garbage. I'm sorry, I know you think he's some sort of long term project but he's just awful. God-awful. He's nothing more than your average big guy off the street that suddenly gets thrust out on the field. He has zero technique, zero footwork, zero brains, and zero idea what he is doing out there. He was getting bitch slapped by guys that are now driving UPS trucks during the preseason. We act like Turner was some super stud lineman. He was an undrafted guy in his 4th year in the league. He isn't the difference in this. The difference is we took a giant turd in the 2nd round of last year's draft and had no backup plan in place when his turdiness was glaringly obvious.

The quote below states everything we need to know about Ducasse:

The Jets would rather play Colin Baxter at Center than have their supposed #1 backup Vlad Ducasse in the game in any capacity. A kick in the balls would feel better than knowing that fact.

the original author makes several mistakes in logic

1) "they didn't sign enough players" argument

the Jets are honestly better off the Baxters and Wayne Hunters of the world than the guys who are still out on the street. Everyone needs OL, if there's a talented player still in free agency it would be a miracle. the street free agent activity on offensive linemen is usually a disgrace.

If we believe they should have draft Gabe Carimi to play RT we can have that discussion but you can't find these guys (and Gabe Carimi is hurt fwiw). The Jets carry 10 linebackers because they carry 7 OL it's kinda the way the team is built. Other teams like the Eagles have 9 or 10 offensive linemen but if you think King Dunlap is a better option that's also wishful thinking. You hope your vets don't get hurt.

2) "They moved on from Damien Woody too fast" argument

hello? The dude is 350 pounds, in terrible shape, with 5 other injuries last year not counting the final, debilitating achilles tear. It's one thing to be Rapoti PItoitua in peak physical condition and have 25 year body healing up, it's another to be Damien Woody and whatever that whole situation became. He did not recover, and he retired.

3) "Mark Sanchez will one day be good enough to rise above this mess, but that day's not today" argument

which day is it gonna be? he's in year 3 not year 1. At what point, will he get better? Did they draft a game manager at 5 overall?

I'm going to throw out another theory teams are attacking Sanchez more cause they don't fear him beating that blitz with a sharp throw.

wasn't the whole game plan in 2011 put it all on Mark's shoulders? He leads the league in turnovers I understand the line is in shambles but it doesn't have to be the debacle that it is every week.

Mark Sanchez is also a crack to be fixed, just as bad as Colin Baxter or Wayne Hunter. In fact because of the importance of the position, he has the power to erase all the cracks himself. Most diehard NFL fans couldn't pick an Offensive lineman or a coordinator out of a lineup.

Archived