Darrelle Revis

Ghost

You can't compare a CB to a MLB etc, etc. One thing is for sure, at this pace, Revis will go down as the greatest shut down corner of all-time. Sanders was an amazingly great corner, but Sanders was also hyped by the media because of his Primetime, Neon-Deion nicknames, high steps into the end zone, famous celebrations after kickoff returns, flashy jewlery and cotching etc, etc. In regards to Revis, he's known for one thing and one thing only. Which is being the greatest SHUT DOWN CORNER in the game today, and maybe even ever. Sanders was a great player, one of the best PLAYERS that ever lived to play the game. I truly rank Sanders as an all-time great. But as far as shut down corner goes... I watched them both, and Revis is a better shut down corner. WR's are also more talented today, than they were during the 90's. Just a different breed.

You can't compare a CB to a MLB etc, etc. One thing is for sure, at this pace, Revis will go down as the greatest shut down corner of all-time. Sanders was an amazingly great corner, but Sanders was also hyped by the media because of his Primetime, Neon-Deion nicknames, high steps into the end zone, famous celebrations after kickoff returns, flashy jewlery and cotching etc, etc. In regards to Revis, he's known for one thing and one thing only. Which is being the greatest SHUT DOWN CORNER in the game today, and maybe even ever. Sanders was a great player, one of the best PLAYERS that ever lived to play the game. I truly rank Sanders as an all-time great. But as far as shut down corner goes... I watched them both, and Revis is a better shut down corner. WR's are also more talented today, than they were during the 90's. Just a different breed.

Meh, hard to say. Primetime is one of the greatest athletes of all time. The dude was amazing...even Irvin will say it, he's never seen a better athlete.

The difference between Primetime and Revis is Revis is more physical. Primetime was just so fast and so athletic, he could just stick on you like glue without having to put his hands on you. Revis is different. Revis wants to dictate how a route will be run by getting up on you and jamming at the line. Deon would just let you go and then with his make up speed, set up QB's to think that their WR was open and then next thing you know he's high stepping down the sideline.

Deon is the greatest I've ever seen and it had nothing do with hype. He's one of the few players in the history of sporst to demand that much attention and back it up by being the best ever to play his position. And Deon had hands too...not saying Revis doesnt, but Deon would take mistakes to the house like it was nothing. Revis has had a few, but no where near the rate that Deon used to do it.

Meh, hard to say. Primetime is one of the greatest athletes of all time. The dude was amazing...even Irvin will say it, he's never seen a better athlete.

The difference between Primetime and Revis is Revis is more physical. Primetime was just so fast and so athletic, he could just stick on you like glue without having to put his hands on you. Revis is different. Revis wants to dictate how a route will be run by getting up on you and jamming at the line. Deon would just let you go and then with his make up speed, set up QB's to think that their WR was open and then next thing you know he's high stepping down the sideline.

Deon is the greatest I've ever seen and it had nothing do with hype. He's one of the few players in the history of sporst to demand that much attention and back it up by being the best ever to play his position. And Deon had hands too...not saying Revis doesnt, but Deon would take mistakes to the house like it was nothing. Revis has had a few, but no where near the rate that Deon used to do it.

The showed Deon highlights on NFL Network the other day and he was very physical at the line of scrimmage. We all know he didn't like to tackle, but he was very physical and intercepted/broke up passes because he was so fast. Too bad the Colts bitched and moaned a few years ago to change the rules.

The showed Deon highlights on NFL Network the other day and he was very physical at the line of scrimmage. We all know he didn't like to tackle, but he was very physical and intercepted/broke up passes because he was so fast. Too bad the Colts bitched and moaned a few years ago to change the rules.

He was, but its not to the extent of Revis. I can remember plenty of games with Deon being very physical, fighting with Rison because of a hard jam at the LOS. I'm not saying he wasnt, I'm saying he wasnt as physical as Revis.

Couldn't say it better.

He was, but its not to the extent of Revis. I can remember plenty of games with Deon being very physical, fighting with Rison because of a hard jam at the LOS. I'm not saying he wasnt, I'm saying he wasnt as physical as Revis.

So we agree? At the LOS Revis and Deon are awesome. Making a tackle? Advantage Revis in a big way lol

Hard to say he's even the best corner of all time, Deon was legit..

of course some may consider the above as me knocking him, but he's def the best corner in football the last few years and was imo the best defensive player in football in 2009

Although I'm only 21 years old, I truly believe this is the best defensive player I ever got to see play. I know there's Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Michael Strahan, Derrick Brooks, but Darrelle Revis is perfect in my eyes.

Thoughts?

When I was 21 I thought Duran Duran was the best band I'd ever seen. When you get older you'll learn that 21 year olds don't know much.

Unfortunately, I'm not willing to say that. I <3 Revis. But Deon was one of the most spectacular athletes I've ever seen. At this point, I'd still give the edge to Deon.

You say that like your coming from a position of weakness, if you polled non jets fans for the best CB ever, Revis doesn't get a lot of votes.. Deon does

Ray Lewis is the best any of us will have ever seen.

He has made the Ravens a relevant and competitive team every year of his career. Never seen a LBer dictate a game the way he does.

got ya..

and agree w/ape that ray lewis is better

IDK, there's been a lot of awesome LB'ers in our day. LT, Singletary, Thomas...some serious came changers. Obvioulsy Ray Lew will go down as one of the greatest, but so will Ed Reed on the same team. They both play a big part in the D's success. They are Football junkies.

Ray Lewis is the best any of us will have ever seen.

He has made the Ravens a relevant and competitive team every year of his career. Never seen a LBer dictate a game the way he does.

I agree in regards to Ray Lewis. The Dick Butkus of our era.

But Patrick Willis is becoming something else. Something that we've never seen before. I've never seen a MLB with his speed and quickness. Great tackler as well. Amazingly strong. Has turned this 49ers defense into a unit. I catch myself watching 49er games often, JUST to watch Patrick Willis dominate the game.

During his first 4 years, Willis put up 595 tackles, 15 sacks and 8 forced fumbles.

During Ray's first 4 years, Lewis put up 587 tackles, 13 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

He's built just like Ray Lewis as well. Both 6'1, although Lewis has 10 pounds on Willis.

So I'll have to agree to disagree in regards to Lewis being the best we'll ever see. Patrick Willis, if he can stay healthy, which is a huge if, could go down as one of the greatest MLB's of all-time as well. To make a long story short, if Lewis in this era's Dick Butkus; Willis is on his way to becoming the next Ray Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur89zHyY1ow

Watch this video. How can you not be a huge fan of Willis? Without question, outside of the Jets, my favorite player to watch in today's game.

when is the last time a jet was obviously the best in the NFL at his position ? ever ? add to it the era of high flying offenses, his role is critical. this isn't a FB here

he's not the best defender ever, LT was scary, reggie white, singletary...but he is the best in the NFL right now

and that's a good thing

Sure, I mean forget the fact that the OP said he's the best he's ever seen. I guess Michael Strahan and Derrick Brooks play corner.

I don't agree you can compare positions. In fact, that has already been said in this thread. Of course though, Revis is no Vonte Davis. (He's only struggling because of the 9/11 crap)

I don't agree you can compare positions. In fact, that has already been said in this thread.

I do; it's quite simply actually. Who has a bigger impact on the game? Darrelle Revis does a good job forcing teams to not throw to a certain wide receiver; but Ed Reed ****s up your whole game plan, takes the ball away, and then scores a touchdown.

I do; it's quite simply actually. Who has a bigger impact on the game? Darrelle Revis does a good job forcing teams to not throw to a certain wide receiver; but Ed Reed ****s up your whole game plan, takes the ball away, and then scores a touchdown.

Yeah, because Revis doesn't score TD's and pretty much deletes the opponents best WR from the game. Revis is as good a Corner as Reed is at safety.

Umm... Reed has three times more touchdowns than Revis. Reed has 70 career turnover making plays (interceptions, forced fumbles, and recovered fumbles.) Revis has 17.

"But Revis hasn't been in the league as long as Reed."

Exactly, he's off to a good start, but he isn't even in the ballpark of Reed's accomplishments yet.

Umm... Reed has three times more touchdowns than Revis. Reed has 70 career turnover making plays (interceptions, forced fumbles, and recovered fumbles.) Revis has 17.

"But Revis hasn't been in the league as long as Reed."

Exactly, he's off to a good start, but he isn't even in the ballpark of Reed's accomplishments yet.

Ed Reed has 6 pick 6's in a near 10 year career. Revis has 3 in less than 5. As for Fumble TD's Reed has 2 to Revis' 0 because as a safety he faces the running back more. But don't let the facts get in the way of your retarded argument.

Ed Reed has 6 pick 6's in a near 10 year career. Revis has 3 in less than 5. As for Fumble TD's Reed has 2 to Revis' 0 because as a safety he faces the running back more. But don't let the facts get in the way of your retarded argument.

I just posted the facts, genius. You simply eluded them with your giberish and made excuses.

And has Revis ever had 4 interceptions in a playoff game? Jets fans are the only football fans in the world that would consider Revis a better player than Reed.

I just posted the facts, genius. You simply eluded them with your giberish and made excuses.

And has Revis ever had 4 interceptions in a playoff game? Jets fans are the only football fans in the world that would consider Revis a better player than Reed.

So one game? Thats it? One game makes your entire argument? Can understand your jealousy though. Must hurt not having one player that teams have to scheme around. And you totally made the 4 INT playoff game up. Never happened.

:wub::Lame::Blah:

That's what I think of you, but yeah, Ed Reed is 33 years old. Revis is only 26 years of age. It's just a great feeling, as a fan base, knowing we'll have one of the greatest shut down corners of all-time for the next 10 or so years.

Revis is a player who can (and does) completely eliminate opposing QB's #1 WR options such as Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Owens, Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, White, Colston etc, etc. That's the reason why we finished with the #1 ranked defense in 2009. Another reason why we rank #1 defending the pass, once again, this season. Revis is greatness.

Revis has 249 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 4 fumbles recovered, 17 INT's and 3 TD's and he's still in his 5th season.

Reed had 229 tackles, 5 forced fumbles, 3 fumbles recovered, 27 INT's and 3 TD's AFTER his 5th year in the league.

I'd say Revis is WELL ON HIS WAY to a great hall of fame career. It's just begun. I love this dude.

Archived