Defending Mark Sanchez

hawksown14

Defending Mark Sanchez’s Performance

3,663 yards, 24 TDs, 13 INTs, 56.1 completion percentage (296 comp., 528 attempts)

Is playing quarterback in the New York market the most difficult job in professional sports? Possibly. For starters, until a quarterback wins a championship, he is never good enough. Any quarterback who has ever played in New York already knows that.

And if a quarterback has won? Criticism is still never more than one bad game away. Just ask Eli Manning, Phil Simms or Joe Namath.

But let’s get back to Sanchez. If someone had told Jets fans at the beginning of this season that he would finish 2011 with the numbers listed above, would they have signed up for it? My guess is yes. Despite the fact that Sanchez absorbed a heavy beating during the first few games — his 14 sacks are tied for the 9th most in the N.F.L. — the mostly impressive numbers listed above represent the pace Sanchez is setting.

Through the Jets’ first six games, Sanchez has already thrown for 1,372 yards, with 9 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

And don’t forget the 3-3 Jets have already played games at New England, where the Patriots have won 20 consecutive regular-season home games, and at Baltimore, which is 22-5 since John Harbaugh became coach in 2008.

Let’s take a closer look.

Want to talk about Sanchez’s 9 touchdown passes so far? If so, you should know that it ranks tied for eight in the N.F.L., with Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger, Philadelphia’s Michael Vick and Tennessee’s Matt Hasselbeck. Eighth out of 32 teams? If you do the math, that ranks in the top quarter of the league.

And want to talk of Sanchez’s 5 interceptions in 198 attempts? According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, Sanchez’s interception percentage of 2.5 ranks 12th in the N.F.L. And of the 12 quarterbacks who have more pass attempts, only four — Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers, Chicago’s Jay Cutler and Cleveland’s Colt McCoy — have thrown fewer than Sanchez’s five interceptions.

In another key statistic, Sanchez is tied for 11th (with Roethlisberger) with 20 completions of 20 or more yards.

Sanchez’s biggest and most notable problems have come early in games. The Jets haven’t had a first down in the first quarter since their game at Oakland in Week 3, which was also when they scored their last first-quarter touchdown.

That needs to change for the Jets to continue to win games.

But Sanchez’s performance has been better than he is being given credit for.

And on the Baltimore game:

I’d hesitate to give you an average because it’s such an inaccurate science. However, I what I could. I started the clock when the ball was snapped and stopped it when either (a) the ball was thrown or ( B) pressure caused Sanchez to either get hit, get flushed from the pocket or step up to avoid it.

The number of plays in the whole game where Sanchez had more than 2.5 seconds in the pocket before throwing the ball or being pressured? Zero. Yes, none. In fact, he had less than two seconds on 23 of 38 plays and less than 1.5 seconds on nine.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the one thing that Sanchez has going for him that we as fans should appreciate is that none of his former targets (Cotchery, Smith, Edwards, Mason) have ever said "Sanchez just isn't a good quarterback." That is very telling, and why I blame Schotty for many of our offensive woes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the one thing that Sanchez has going for him that we as fans should appreciate is that none of his former targets (Cotchery, Smith, Edwards, Mason) have ever said "Sanchez just isn't a good quarterback." That is very telling, and why I blame Schotty for many of our offensive woes.

How often does that occur anyway? Hardly ever, unless it's a guy who likes to air it all out to the media like T.O.

I don't remember Zack Miller, Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry, Tim Dwight, Javon Walker, Louis Murphy, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Chaz Schilens, or any of the Raiders targets (or even any of their RB's) from 2007-2009 saying Jamarcus Russell wasn't a good QB either.

List all the former targets who said Kellen Clemens sucked because I forget offhand. Oh yeah, that's right. It never happened.

In short, this is not telling at all.

How often does that occur anyway? Hardly ever, unless it's a guy who likes to air it all out to the media like T.O.

I don't remember Zack Miller, Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry, Tim Dwight, Javon Walker, Louis Murphy, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Chaz Schilens, or any of the Raiders targets (or even any of their RB's) from 2007-2009 saying Jamarcus Russell wasn't a good QB either.

List all the former targets who said Kellen Clemens sucked because I forget offhand. Oh yeah, that's right. It never happened.

In short, this is not telling at all.

To be fair to Russell, he WAS on the Purple Drank, so he had a substance abuse problem, making him disabled, which makes your comments somewhat dispicable. Jeez, know any quadrapalegic jokes Mr. Sensitive?

Outside of the Ravens game he's gone 100/163, 1,253 yards, 61.7%, 9 TD's/4 INT's, two rushing TD's, with a QB rating of 93.9.

Yeah, you're correct JiF, as always, he's sh*t for a quarterback and "hasn't" improved.

Yeah, but how's he done in the playoffs?

How can you honestly hate on the guy? Man up and be a fan

I love the kid. He's not very good, but I love him. I hope he becomes Drew Brees over the next few years. He's totally won me over. I used to loath his existence and hated the pick almost more than I hated the Gholston pick. But now, I <3 him. Just look at my Avatar. The guy is dead smexy. Best model in the league by far.

Archived