Revis frontrunner for Defensive Player of the Year?

GangisGreen

Revis was robbed two years ago, simply becuase he did not have the flashy stat (int's). This year he has been just as dominate and already has 4 picks. Of course Woodson has one more, but he does not seem to be as consistent this year.

Other Candidates:

Jared Allen

Damarcus Ware

Woodson

Polamalu(Media loves this guy)

He certainly deserves it, but it'll be a matter of whether he can continue to put up stats throughout the remainder of this season. If he keeps grabbing INTs at this rate, he certainly has a shot at it. That said, if he doesn't keep the INTs up, these voters are morons and that's all they care about, so it'll surely go to whatever big name player ends up with the most sacks or picks. My guess is if the season ended today it'd probably go to Jared Allen though, since techincally speaking he is on pace to break the NFL record for sacks (although I doubt it will happen).

He certainly deserves it, but it'll be a matter of whether he can continue to put up stats throughout the remainder of this season. If he keeps grabbing INTs at this rate, he certainly has a shot at it. That said, if he doesn't keep the INTs up, these voters are morons and that's all they care about, so it'll surely go to whatever big name player ends up with the most sacks or picks. My guess is if the season ended today it'd probably go to Jared Allen though, since techincally speaking he is on pace to break the NFL record for sacks (although I doubt it will happen).

he's on the Vikings BG-no way do you give the award to a player on a team like that

he's on the Vikings BG-no way do you give the award to a player on a team like that

Well if he ends up getting the record, the award is going to him without question, it doesn't matter if the Vikings don't win another game all season. If not, then you're probably right, but the point more than anything was what stat-junkies these voters are. Hell, it's the only reason Revis didn't win the award two years ago.

Well if he ends up getting the record, the award is going to him without question, it doesn't matter if the Vikings don't win another game all season. If not, then you're probably right, but the point more than anything was what stat-junkies these voters are. Hell, it's the only reason Revis didn't win the award two years ago.

It'd be nice if he gets it as a fan, but we all know he deserved it in 2009. Him getting the award just means that when it comes time to hold out again, he's going to try and rape us.

He should win it, no doubt. I've argued against him being the best defender in the league a couple of times...and watching him the past few games, there really shouldnt be any agrument.

There are handful of guys that can rush the passer really well (Ware, Allen, Matthews, Abe, etc) plenty of guys who can hawk the ball (Reed, Troy P, Woodson)...but there is only 1 Revis. Nobody does what he's asked to do game after game and always delivers.

Its awesome. I'm so glad to have this guy on my favorite team. He's probaby the best player in my life time on all the pro teams I root for.

He was better 2 years ago. It's a shame a few cheap INTs this year is all that is needed to put him over the top.

But I'm happy for him, making up what should've been his then.

Not that he wasn't great 2 years ago, but I have no idea how you think he could be any better than he's playing right now. At worst, he's playing just as well. Perhaps they're using him slightly differently just because they have that luxury with the fact that Cromartie and Wilson are just a bit better than Sheppard and Lowery, but that doesn't mean he's not playing as well. Outside of a few catches from Marshall on push-offs, what the hell has anyone done against him?

It'd be nice if he gets it as a fan, but we all know he deserved it in 2009. Him getting the award just means that when it comes time to hold out again, he's going to try and rape us.

He's going to do that regardless, which is why I've given up on worrying about anything like DPOTY awards making any damn difference in that. If he doesn't have a new deal by next July we're looking at another hold-out anyway.

Revis is so good that you're disappointed anytime a receiver even gets a catch against him.

The Jets defense without Revis would go the way of the Colts offense without Manning. He's so critical to everything they do. The Jets are the only team in the league that consistently single-covers their opponents' #1 WR - and not only do they leave that player single covered all game, but they (read: Revis) completely shuts that player down. No other team has the luxury of doubling #2 WR's, or putting a CB on a TE consistently. The Jets can only do that because of Revis' incredible ability.

The voters, no doubt, would rather give it to a pass rusher. Those are the flashy guys. But it would be a crime if Revis didn't win the award once or twice in his career.

Revis is so good that you're disappointed anytime a receiver even gets a catch against him.

The Jets defense without Revis would go the way of the Colts offense without Manning. He's so critical to everything they do. The Jets are the only team in the league that consistently single-covers their opponents' #1 WR - and not only do they leave that player single covered all game, but they (read: Revis) completely shuts that player down. No other team has the luxury of doubling #2 WR's, or putting a CB on a TE consistently. The Jets can only do that because of Revis' incredible ability.

The voters, no doubt, would rather give it to a pass rusher. Those are the flashy guys. But it would be a crime if Revis didn't win the award once or twice in his career.

Don't discount Polamolu. He has nice hair.

Not that he wasn't great 2 years ago, but I have no idea how you think he could be any better than he's playing right now. At worst, he's playing just as well. Perhaps they're using him slightly differently just because they have that luxury with the fact that Cromartie and Wilson are just a bit better than Sheppard and Lowery, but that doesn't mean he's not playing as well. Outside of a few catches from Marshall on push-offs, what the hell has anyone done against him?

I've never seen a corner play as good as he was 2 years ago. Not that he hasn't been great this year. 2 years ago it was impossible to complete a pass on him.

If you're going to nitpick, and that's really all it would be. Then he had a little trouble with Bryant in the 1st half, and then Marshall.

He didn't really have any marks against him 2 years ago.

And yet both of those pass defenses are worse than the Jets.

That doesn't matter - its an individual award. If there were an award for best secondary, then maybe we'd win it. I'm not making the case for Revis NOT getting it, I'm just stating that if those guys break a record - they are the front-runners, not Revis.

Archived