Cowher and Gruden interested in Miami

Integrity28

If they get luck, coaches will be falling over themselves to go there.

Makes sense. Seems to me the smart career move is always to go work with the business that loses money, has bad ownership, and mistreated the guys who would have preceded your position. All for the chance to take over running a badly structured entity on the prospect of acquiring a commodity that's still probabilistic. Oh yeah, sign me up for that one so I can beat out the stampede.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fins aren't getting Luck.

The Colts are. I can't see that team winning more than 1 game this year and no way do they pass up on the top QB prospect in some time for their 36 year old QB who just missed most of if not all of the last season with a neck injury.

Makes sense. Seems to me the smart career move is always to go work with the business that loses money, has bad ownership, and mistreated the guys who would have preceded your position. All for the chance to take over running a badly structured entity on the prospect of acquiring a commodity that's still probabilistic. Oh yeah, sign me up for that one so I can beat out the stampede.

winning cures all ills, and the best way to field a winner is with a qb

Your memory is biased and irrelevant. It's based on how you want to remember the game. I can provide a dozen articles explaining why that's the case.

I'll just ask why when Sanchez plays well for a portion of a game, is it all him. But Manning steps up and goes Manning on us, and we talk about Donald Strickland's injury as the cause for the loss.

I never said it was all Strickland and Manning had nothing to do with it. That's you putting words in my mouth.

RJF is on fire today!

Why do you always get so whiny when you get owned?

bahahahahaha... i believe that you actually think i got owned, despite posting in a thread where the top coaching FA is rumored to be interested in Miami already

I can see Gruden going to Miami before Cowher. Miami is too much of a trainwreck, even if they got Luck.

And the "winning cures all" argument is a$$ backwards in this situation, CTM. Miami isn't just having a bad season. It's been bad for a while, meaning a complete rebuilding job. That "winning" you refer to won't happen quickly, especially in the AFCE.

I still think Cowher is waiting on the Giants job. Coughlin gets let go after the Giants annual 2nd half collapse, Cowher will be signed in no time.

Even if the Dolphins wind up with the number 1 pick there's no guarantee they get Andrew Luck - he still has another year of eligibility he could use if he doesn't want to play for the team with the #1 pick, he could pull and Eli and refuse to play for the team with the #1 pick, his arm could fall off.

If Miami has the #1, Luck should run across the country to play there.

I can see Gruden going to Miami before Cowher. Miami is too much of a trainwreck, even if they got Luck.

And the "winning cures all" argument is a$$ backwards in this situation, CTM. Miami isn't just having a bad season. It's been bad for a while, meaning a complete rebuilding job. That "winning" you refer to won't happen quickly, especially in the AFCE.

I still think Cowher is waiting on the Giants job. Coughlin gets let go after the Giants annual 2nd half collapse, Cowher will be signed in no time.

So a guy who took a Florida based team that was knocking on the door for a while and ended up winning a Super Bowl and from that point onwards ended up looking over the erosion of that team into bottom feeders is now being wanted by another team in the state of Florida to rebuild that team into something that is competitive. Good luck with that!

I never said it was all Strickland and Manning had nothing to do with it. That's you putting words in my mouth.

Dude, if Strickland doesn't get hurt the Colts never get the huge matchup advantage that won them the game. We could do this all night.

Oh. Ok.

No, it really doesnt. They are quickly becoming one of the biggest jokes in all of sports. Andrew Luck does not solve that problem and he doesnt change the moronic nature of how that organization is ran.

I'm sorry, but I just dont see a big name HC heading to Miami. They hire the next hot HC coordinator prospect or they go to the college ranks.

The great Parcells quit with the job 75% done and named who he wanted as HC and GM. Sound familiar?

Miami followed his advice on Henne too. They should name a hurricane after Tuna this season.

I think Miami will go hard after Cohwer and maybe even land him. But Bill's been out of the coaching grind for years now. He's had this cushy, well paying, analyst gig, and I think those 18 hour days running a football team will take their toll quickly. I think if he wants to be happy, he should stay right where he is.

But of course, a five year, $50M guaranteed contract might make him happy, too.

If the money is right...and Luck ends up there.....both Gruden and Cowher would take the first flight to Miami to accept the job. Good weather, less taxes and a franchise QB to build around.

Say the Colts end up with the #1 overall pick. What do they do with it? They pick their next franchise QB, that's what. So what do they do with Manning? Seeing that Manning just signed a top heavy contract paying him 69 million the first three years - his job will be to bring the Colts back to their winning ways and to teach the man that will be taking his place after three years. Could they trade Manning? Who would give up a ransom in picks and absorb that contract?

What if the Rams end up with the #1 pick? They trade it for a motherload of picks...I assume. The Bronco's - who surely would have loved a chance at Luck - are probably out of the running with two wins thus far.....frickin' Tebow!

So you couldn't think of a reason?

I dunno, why would a 23 year-old want to go to South Beach to play behind a franchise left tackle and otherwise decent O-Line while throwing to Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess and for a coach that will be hand-selected for the express purpose of making him a better player, all the while paying no state income tax for a highly-visible franchise in a division that guarantees him multiple prime-time/national TV games?

Or, I dunno, he could go to the Colts and sit behind Peyton Manning for three years while hanging out in scenic Indianapolis.

I dunno, why would a 23 year-old want to go to South Beach to play behind a franchise left tackle and otherwise decent O-Line while throwing to Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess and for a coach that will be hand-selected for the express purpose of making him a better player, all the while paying no state income tax for a highly-visible franchise in a division that guarantees him multiple prime-time/national TV games?

Or, I dunno, he could go to the Colts and sit behind Peyton Manning for three years while hanging out in scenic Indianapolis.

And play for the worst coach and fans in the NFL.

I love how I always hear that everyone should want to play in South Florida because of the weather and the lack of state income tax. Then I look at the Miami Dolphins roster...

And play for the worst coach and fans in the NFL.

I love how I always hear that everyone should want to play in South Florida because of the weather and the lack of state income tax. Then I look at the Miami Dolphins roster...

I'm pretty sure they won't hire the worst coach in the NFL.

Also, there are a lot of pieces on that roster. Wake, Dansby, Misi, Soliai, Bell on D. Marshall, Long, Bess on offense. The right coach could get that team to 10 wins pretty quickly.

Lets look at their careers. Cowher choked in 95, team collapsed afterwards, nearly got fired after the 2000 season, choked in 04, got to the Super Bowl because Kimo took out Palmer, won the Super Bowl because of the referees, and choked again the very next year.

Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team, which was a contender before he got their, collapsed after that, and won more than 9 games one time in the 6 seasons after that for a total post 2002 record (when the core of Dungy's team went elsewhere) of 45-53, and managed to piss off everyone around him. Not fearing either one.

Yeah, except that the "Tony Dungy's team" he took over beat his Raiders team that was good enough to get to the SB with Callahan as the HC. And if he gets no credit for that Tampa ring, what does that say about Tony Dungy whose coaching ceiling without Peyton Manning is 1 playoff win?

That said, I still think he'll fail if he goes to Miami. He'll do better than Sparano, particularly if he gets a real QB down there, but that isn't saying much.

Also, there are a lot of pieces on that roster. Wake, Dansby, Misi, Soliai, Bell on D. Marshall, Long, Bess on offense. The right coach could get that team to 10 wins pretty quickly.

Daniel Thomas, Fasano, Hartline. Pouncey is only a Rookie.

And yet they are 0-7. You ever think that maybe those guys aren't really that good?

Thats why he wont go to Indy. I think Luck will want to play right away like Gabbert, Sanchez, Bradford.

Yeah, except that the "Tony Dungy's team" he took over beat his Raiders team that was good enough to get to the SB with Callahan as the HC. And if he gets no credit for that Tampa ring, what does that say about Tony Dungy whose coaching ceiling without Peyton Manning is 1 playoff win?

That said, I still think he'll fail if he goes to Miami. He'll do better than Sparano, particularly if he gets a real QB down there, but that isn't saying much.

Like I said in another post, The AFC was weak in 2002. No team won more than 11 games in 2002.

And Dungy won twice in the playoffs in his 5 seasons with Tampa after taking over an awful team in 97 that hadn't been to the playoffs since 1982 and leading them to the playoffs that very year.

Archived