Can Kyle Wilson play Safety?

HessStation

I understand his role as a Nickle-back and he can't be moved to the outside due to Cromartie not being able to play any other position... and who is still the better man to man cover corner. And I understand when they have more than 4 DB's on the field Wilson should be rolled up covering the slot receiver. But when they are in their more conventional defense would it make sense to move Wilson to SS? Or would this just be too much for him to learn too fast (having to learn new reads and space and a different game in terms of awareness). Or would this only slow down his progression as an overall player? Something I think they've botched horribly with Vlad on the Oline moving him all over the place. Is this a kid you just want to keep things simple with? "Don't confuse him just let him play where he is, he getting better and is too important in the role he's in"? Because he's their 3rd maybe 2nd best Defensive Back who's speed is something they're sorely missing in the middle of the field. Can he be the Renaissance sorta DB lining up all over the field pending coverage? I'm just wondering due to the fact that Pool (our only hope) looked as bad as Smith this past Sunday and Wilson seems to play well in zone coverage.

Dont know. Would be interesting to see him in that position because Smith is the worst coverage safety I've ever seen but I dont see the moving him there exclusively. He's aggressive enough in the run to put him in there during standard situations but I'm not sure if its asking too much. Leonhard calls the play and amazingly Smith has a lot of responsibility in this defense.

We should have held onto Lowery. He's play great ball exclusively at safety in Jax.

True, he's about an inch short, at least and 10-15 lbs too light compared to the typical NFL premier Safety...but so is Leonhard.

But leonhard can hit and come up to stuff the run. Wilson cAnt. He also doesn't cover the te too well

But leonhard can hit and come up to stuff the run. Wilson cAnt. He also doesn't cover the te too well

Also, Leonhard is back there because Rex chose him to be the signal caller for the defense. Originally part of that was about the fact that he knew Rex's defense, but the system has been in place for a couple years and Rex still considers Leonhard the field general of the defense. I don't know what that entails of course, and for all I know, Kyle Wilson could be just as capable in that regard. But I will defer to Rex's continued approval of the guy. He did mastermind a top 5 defense for the past 2 years (even if this year's has fallen off a bit), so Rex deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Dont know. Would be interesting to see him in that position because Smith is the worst coverage safety I've ever seen but I dont see the moving him there exclusively. He's aggressive enough in the run to put him in there during standard situations but I'm not sure if its asking too much. Leonhard calls the play and amazingly Smith has a lot of responsibility in this defense.

We should have held onto Lowery. He's play great ball exclusively at safety in Jax.

Man that burns my a$$. Ihedigbo is doing fairly well as is Abram Elam. Hell, even Jon McGraw is doing a decent job in KC. Lowery should've been a no-brainer at Safety--a ball hawk who lays the wood and makes plays. a sure tackler--just a bit too slow for man coverage. We crapped the bed on that one.

Man that burns my a$$. Ihedigbo is doing fairly well as is Abram Elam. Hell, even Jon McGraw is doing a decent job in KC. Lowery should've been a no-brainer at Safety--a ball hawk who lays the wood and makes plays. a sure tackler--just a bit too slow for man coverage. We crapped the bed on that one.

Rex tried Ihedigbo plenty in Smith's role last season and Digs didn't do well. Not even sure McGraw would manage any better than either right now. Neither would be able to hold Leonhard's role and I don't think either could play up in this system either. SS is a whole different ballgame in Rex's packages and conversion projects take some time, even Smith took a while to grasp it to a playable degree. The staff gave converting Lowery a try last season and this past summer and it didn't work out well at all.

I think we make a serious run at Landry next offseason and I've been wondering if the FO will look Tyvon Branch too. He's not the best in man coverage but he plays up on the line pretty damn well.

First of all, Elam was involved in the Sanchez trade. Second, I like James Ighedibo but he is even worse at football than Eric Smith.

Eric Smith: 1 pick, 1.5 sacks, 3 passes defended

James Ighedibo: 0 picks, 0 sacks, 1 pass defended

Those are the basic stats, Now go watch the tape and find out that Smith is also better than Ighedibo in man coverage and while I like Ighedibo's spirit, he still doesn't hit as hard as Smith.

He is a below average safety. When he looks worse than that, it's because Rex's defense puts him in man coverage on guys like Witten and Gates (which is something that, quite honestly, no safety should do...)

I think we make a serious run at Landry next offseason

Landry's underrated as heck, and I hope they're looking at him too. Just because I can never shake this thought, how pissed do you think they were in '10 when it wasn't even possible to make a run on Antrel Rolle? That guy would have been really good in this D.

yep we should have held on to Lowery and dumped Smith. The whole Lowery thing was quite surprizing to me.

yep we should have held on to Lowery and dumped Smith. The whole Lowery thing was quite surprizing to me.

Co-sign. I really would have liked Lowery to have gotten a shot at playing S full-time. Why they traded him for a scrub OL-man is beyond me. While his coverage skills may have come up short at CB, they were beyond what is typically seen at S. Dude was a ballhawk too. Go figure.

Wilson is coming into his own this year as the nickel corner, I don't think you mess with that by putting too much on his plate. We saw him implode when he lost confidence in himself as a rookie. You don't want to do that to him again.

I also think that they have to always be thinking about ways to replace Cromartie. Cromartie makes $8M/year. Too much for the bust or boom player he is, and you know that the Jets know this. If they find themselves looking for cap space, you know Cromartie's spot will have to be a candidate. CB is a much bigger priority in this defense than safety, and I wouldn't be surprised if they put more of an investment in the CB position than safety again next year. You have to have JAG's somewhere on the roster, and Rex seems to be content to have them at safety.

Archived