Bash the Redskins-Long Memory of 2003

BigOrangeJetFan

When I think of the Redskins, I remember how they stole some of our best players after the 2002 season:

Randy Thomas

Santana Moss

Laverneous Coles

Forget the name of the kick returner they stole also.

We still miss Santana Moss.

Randy Thomas was an excellent guard.

Set the Jets back some time.

Anybody I forgot?

Still remember the first game of the 2003 season.

Pennington was hurt.

Testaverde was lousy. Coles burned us.

Spurrier somehow beat us.

They took Coles but we got a 1st and a 3rd for him and we traded them Moss to get Coles back.

Unfortunately, we blew the pick trading for D-Rob. Shocking, I know.

They only got a 1st for Coles. In fact Snyder at the time said he wouldn't have signed Coles if he had to give up a 3rd as well. Boobway screwed up the tender as well as Morton

They only got a 1st for Coles. In fact Snyder at the time said he wouldn't have signed Coles if he had to give up a 3rd as well. Boobway screwed up the tender as well as Morton

My mistake. Regardless, had we not blown the draft picks, it wouldn't have been such an issue.

Yes we have boobway to thank for that. I think the drob pick is the biggest bust in Jets history considering what it cost us.

I don't know man. The year we had Ellis, Ferguson, Robertson, and Abraham he was pretty solid. We gave up a bunch for him, but he produced 10x that of Gholston.

Robertson was probably the dumber pick, but Gholston definitely did less for the team.

When I think of the Redskins, I remember how they stole some of our best players after the 2002 season:

Randy Thomas

Santana Moss

Laverneous Coles

Forget the name of the kick returner they stole also.

We still miss Santana Moss.

Randy Thomas was an excellent guard.

Set the Jets back some time.

Anybody I forgot?

Still remember the first game of the 2003 season.

Pennington was hurt.

Testaverde was lousy. Coles burned us.

Spurrier somehow beat us.

They didn't "steal" anyone of consequence. The only one "stolen" was Chad Morton.

1. We ate up our cap room paying the likes of Jason Fabini, Wayne Chrebet, and Sam Cowart like they were top-5 talents in their prime. Also we "stole" Aaron Beasley from Jacksonville because everyone knows the smart move is to give big long-term contracts to slow free agent CB's who turn 30 in year 2 of said deal.

2. We got a first round pick for Coles three years after drafting him in round 4. We offered Coles a long-term deal with a $10M signing bonus which he said it was "insulting" at the time. So after the best year of his career we got Washington's first round pick, 12th in the country. It has nothing to do with Washington that Bradway traded it and our own first round pick (and a 4th round pick) so we could move up to #4 for the opportunity to draft Dewayne Robertson.

3. John Hall sucked. He had a zillion touchbacks as a rookie and once missed a 68 yard FG wide where he had the distance. He was terrible and it was awesome that he was "stolen" from us. Doug Brien, ****stick choke artist that he was, was a more reliable kicker.

4. Randy Thomas was missed, but Washington made him the highest-paid guard in NFL history by a significant margin. He was very good, but they paid him like an all-time great which he wasn't. The mistake wasn't in getting outbid by Washington, but rather it was in not locking him up with a year left on his rookie deal when he would have been a couple million a year cheaper anyway.

5. We didn't need Chad Morton. Anyone who "steals" a free agent kick returner not named Devin Hester, and inks him to today's salary cap equivalent of 5 years $13M is welcome to the bounty. If the Jets paid him what Washington did it would have been a front-office blunder from a GM who made blunders into an art form. The embarrassment wasn't Washington outbidding us; it was the whole shady arbitration ruling. The league told us we didn't have to match voidable years on that 5-year deal so we didn't. Then a Washington-based arbitrator ruled that we didn't make an equivalent offer because we didn't include the voidable years. So he was the only one "stolen" from us. And guess what? The next year we had has-been Michael Bates (27 ypr) and never-gonna-be Jonathan Carter (29 ypr) make Morton an easily-expendable afterthought.

And the first game of the season that year was lost because Hackett employed the same gameplan that Schottenheimer employed vs Baltimore in week 1 last year, plus the NFL's best-compensated RB Curtis Martin coming up small (3 ypc) in a close game against just about the worst run defense in the league. Testaverde certainly didn't light it up but he wasn't notably lousy. What was notable that day was how all of them ripped on their former team & teammates to the press after the game, which isn't all that common.

Archived