Rex is so full of it...

bkjetfan

This was his comment after the game as far as having to many pass attempts.

On the number of Jets pass attempts…

We're not going to beat anyone if you throw it that many times, that's for sure. We averaged 4.3 [yards] a carry, we were running the ball effectively, but you fall behind like that and are behind a couple of scores, you have to speed it up and that’s why we did it. Obviously, we were really not built to play that game but it is what it is.

I was watching the game and the jets were down by no more then one score till 5:30 in the 4th quarter. By that time you already had about 45+ pass attempts. Why? like you said your run game was averaging 4.3 yards a carry.

Explaination?

Excuses like this lying to your fans is horrible. Think we're stupid? We see the games too you know. I bet you he already knows he can't trust Shotty. Why would he? He's been the JETS OC for 6 yrs and haven't done shi*! I can tell you this much. Another year with Shotty and Mark as our OC and QB ain't gonna go anywhere. Problem is Rex and Shotty. you chose to a very young QB to lead you to the promise land. Big mistake, you didnt teach him anything, you didnt trust him, you just said "here's the ball kid, dont screw it up". BAD BAD BAD coaching! on Rex and Shotty! Even till this day, the end of the 3rd year he can't call his own plays. It's funny how Sanchez and Shotty say "OK if this play doesn't look good, go to this one". There's no "thinking" process there, nothing to absorb but a playbook if you know what I mean. HORRIBLE coaching!!!

Is Rex full of crap? Yes, of course he is. But he isn't about to place public blame and damage relationships within the team. He's doing what he needs to do to put on a unified facade. As for the rest of it, I agree wholeheartedly. Rex has to lose the DC mentality and hold his assistant coaches responsible for their failings. If Bellicheck, Coughlin, Reid or even Shanahan or a Harbaugh wanted to see more running plays. They would make that happen without a second thought. Rex is completely hands-off. Not good when you are the supposed leader of a franchise.

I can tell you what I wanted him to say "I have decided to make a change at OC, Brian and I have different ideas on what we want a offense to be,

I don't care how he spins it as long as sh*tty is gone after this season.

i am sure brian knows exactly what is going to happen.he cant be that stupid

He is not full of crap. He is spot on. he said "WE ARE NOT BUILT TO PLAY LIKE THAT".

Duh - he's right. We have a severely handicapped passing game. What was he lying about?

The part where he claimed they threw so much because the game was out of reach. That was the case in Philly, not this week. The Jets were in the lead through most of the first half and didnt fall behind by more than 2 scores until the mid 3rd.

So is Rex supposed to throw people under the bus ala Herm? That does no good whatsoever. What did you want him to say?

He should take responsibility for it. Instead of saying they arent built to play that way and were forced into playing that way by the game, just come out and say we thought we saw a weakness in the pass defense we could exploit, specifically with Dustin Keller. We had problems catching a few passes and it put us in 3rd and longs that let the Giants pin their ears back and rush Sanchez. In hindsight maybe we should have mixed our run game in earlier than we did, but I still think if the ball bounced our way on a few plays the offense would have put up 28 points.

Is it all the truth? Not really, but it admits that they had a bad plan but at the same time doesnt throw a specific player or coach under the bus. He has to take it on himself.

The part where he claimed they threw so much because the game was out of reach. That was the case in Philly, not this week. The Jets were in the lead through most of the first half and didnt fall behind by more than 2 scores until the mid 3rd.

ur right -- the CS got off their game, lost their cool, lost their perception of tempo, and the drops by WRs/TEs, the not gaining the first downs on 3rd, the missed FG and bad ST play in general....this should have caused them to revert to the run game EVEN MORE.

so there ya go. baffling. but i do think he is right - he is identifying a MAJOR personnel flaw that has developed on the team.

ur right -- the CS got off their game, lost their cool, lost their perception of tempo, and the drops by WRs/TEs, the not gaining the first downs on 3rd, the missed FG and bad ST play in general....this should have caused them to revert to the run game EVEN MORE.

so there ya go. baffling. but i do think he is right - he is identifying a MAJOR personnel flaw that has developed on the team.

Oh hes 100% right that they are not built to play that way (though from a personnel perspective that is actually the direction they have moved in but they have inconsistent players and a QB that has not grown) I just dont think that was the forum to say it in nor was the reason they played that way because the score dictated it. If Rex honestly believed that then he doesnt even pay attention to the offense. If the Jets believe the defense is still the goods (I dont, but Im sure there are plenty who do) they have to go out and draft a potential stud runner and go out and pay 4 million or so a year for a really solid veteran right tackle the way they did with Damien Woody a few years ago.

Oh hes 100% right that they are not built to play that way (though from a personnel perspective that is actually the direction they have moved in but they have inconsistent players and a QB that has not grown) I just dont think that was the forum to say it in nor was the reason they played that way because the score dictated it. If Rex honestly believed that then he doesnt even pay attention to the offense. If the Jets believe the defense is still the goods (I dont, but Im sure there are plenty who do) they have to go out and draft a potential stud runner and go out and pay 4 million or so a year for a really solid veteran right tackle the way they did with Damien Woody a few years ago.

and they need a multi-dimensional TE that can be used in both phases of the game.....this is actually really important to the RZ offense (bc plax will be gone) and to playaction between the 20s....

and they need a multi-dimensional TE that can be used in both phases of the game.....this is actually really important to the RZ offense (bc plax will be gone) and to playaction between the 20s....

I actually dont think he will be gone, but I agree to some extent on the tight end. Ive never been a big believer in the position as a major cog in the passing game, but the league has started to move that way. The jets problem, which was something I had brought up last year, is that their complementary tight end is a non-factor in the passing game. You can get away with that when your starter is hauling in 70 or 80 passes but Keller isnt that guy. Most teams have a guy that catches 15-25 passes a year as a complement and it makes the player have to be respected by the defense. Ben Hartsock was having an extra lineman on the field. Matthew Mulligan is terrible. Josh Baker is basically a H-Back. Maybe Jeff Cumberland could fill that role, but Id imagine he deficient as a pass blocker. The Jets really could use an Anthony Becht type in the offense.

Oh hes 100% right that they are not built to play that way (though from a personnel perspective that is actually the direction they have moved in but they have inconsistent players and a QB that has not grown) I just dont think that was the forum to say it in nor was the reason they played that way because the score dictated it. If Rex honestly believed that then he doesnt even pay attention to the offense. If the Jets believe the defense is still the goods (I dont, but Im sure there are plenty who do)

Eli was 9/27. The Giants rushed for a grand total of 6 yards in the first half. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty good.

He should take responsibility for it. Instead of saying they arent built to play that way and were forced into playing that way by the game, just come out and say we thought we saw a weakness in the pass defense we could exploit, specifically with Dustin Keller. We had problems catching a few passes and it put us in 3rd and longs that let the Giants pin their ears back and rush Sanchez. In hindsight maybe we should have mixed our run game in earlier than we did, but I still think if the ball bounced our way on a few plays the offense would have put up 28 points.

Is it all the truth? Not really, but it admits that they had a bad plan but at the same time doesnt throw a specific player or coach under the bus. He has to take it on himself.

This.....

Everyone has been able to throw the football against the Pats and the Giants. Any good coach is going to try and expoit the opposing teams weakness.

Why haven't the Jets been able to do it this year ? Most likely a combination of an OL that has played no where near the level they did in 09 or even last year. Add to that a QB who has struggled most of the season and an inconsistent running game and you have an offense that is stuck in no mans land.

The Jets tried to become a team that passes more than it throws and it has failed miserably.

This.....

Everyone has been able to throw the football against the Pats and the Giants. Any good coach is going to try and expoit the opposing teams weakness.

Why haven't the Jets been able to do it this year ? Most likely a combination of an OL that has played no where near the level they did in 09 or even last year. Add to that a QB who has struggled most of the season and an inconsistent running game and you have an offense that is stuck in no mans land.

The Jets tried to become a team that passes more than it throws and it has failed miserably.

That was the plan from the beginning, right from the very first Dallas game...it was apparentt that the team was going to "get" pass happy to "keep up with the NFL Jones"...so the question becomes who the **** in the Jets organization approved that? Approved moving away from ground and pound to Lets pretend Sanchez is Brady. First off, that was not fair to Sanchez and his development., Second the thought process was half baked, because of our OL...so again the question is who approved that...in my very humble opinion, Rex cannot hide behind "Hey I am hands off of the offense, that's Shotty's deal"...that my friends does not fly. He is head coach of this team....I for one am NOT calling for his head...and I am also have said Sanchez needs/needed more time which is so painfully obvious now.

So where does that leave us.....it leaves us with a sub-par (regressed QB playing with no confidence) offense (red-zone stats aside). A defense that at times gives up the game winner....but at times plays lights out....and a coaching staff that appears at best disconnected.

Hopefully we will get this mess straighten out fast this coming sunday and the stars align just right for us......and that includes and off-season of Manning coming here quick.

Fans getting bent out of shape with what Rex says is silly. Who cares? He says one thing to the media and its like the end of the world. Its like you expect him to go and just throw everyone under the bus and tell you exactly whats going on behind closed doors. What kind of leader does that?

At the end of the day, Rex always puts the onus on himself. Always. I dont know about you but I like working/playing for a leader like that - who believes in his team and shoulders the blame when we fail.

And if you watched Hard Knocks, he addresses the team totally different than he does with the media.

Fans getting bent out of shape with what Rex says is silly. Who cares? He says one thing to the media and its like the end of the world. Its like you expect him to go and just throw everyone under the bus and tell you exactly whats going on behind closed doors. What kind of leader does that?

At the end of the day, Rex always puts the onus on himself. Always. I dont know about you but I like working/playing for a leader like that - who believes in his team and shoulders the blame when we fail.

And if you watched Hard Knocks, he addresses the team totally different than he does with the media.

I like a leader to turn to Shotty and say WTF are you doing dick head, run the freakin ball....we have no business passing the ball 59 times. Sorry but the more I think about that the more I get pissed. And I have every right to hold Rex to the fire....he is the leader. I just don't get the logic when I am sitting there watching what I am seeing...dude some of this stuff that you and I are seeing just doesnt make sense...

Archived