Rex says he expects Schotty to be back unless...

gsnts725

1992 Cowboys were a phenomenal 3-2 when the opponent scored 20-31.

1993 Cowboys were 0-2 when the opposition scored over 20 points.

With THAT offense.

In '93, Emmitt Smith held out for 2 games, got under 10 touches in his first game back, and the guru Turner couldn't "put them in position" to score over 17 points.

News flash: we don't have 1992-1993 Emmit Smith on our team either. Nor any star quarterbacks, wideouts, FB's, TE's, or an OL overflowing with stars.

I'm telling you, Turner's not what you think he is. Brian Schottenheimer would have had good to great success with that Dallas offense.

1992 Cowboys were a phenomenal 3-2 when the opponent scored 20-31.

1993 Cowboys were 0-2 when the opposition scored over 20 points.

With THAT offense.

In '93, Emmitt Smith held out for 2 games, got under 10 touches in his first game back, and the guru Turner couldn't "put them in position" to score over 17 points.

News flash: we don't have 1992-1993 Emmit Smith on our team either. Nor any star quarterbacks, wideouts, FB's, TE's, or an OL overflowing with stars.

I'm telling you, Turner's not what you think he is. Brian Schottenheimer would have had good to great success with that Dallas offense.

how is this even debatable ? he's a choker. he gets tight in the moment. calls 3 runs and settles for the long FG attempt. he's the reason I feel confident when the jets play the dolts

it would be entertaining tho, to see the jets fans reactions to norv ball

It's not like Rex is holding a press conference to announce this. He is being asked questions by reporters looking for stories, what do you expect him to say? Rex has dropped enough hints that he is not happy with the offense, he doesn't have to clarify his intentions for the benefit of nitwit reporters

It's not like Rex is holding a press conference to announce this. He is being asked questions by reporters looking for stories, what do you expect him to say? Rex has dropped enough hints that he is not happy with the offense, he doesn't have to clarify his intentions for the benefit of nitwit reporters

THis !

because the idea of the Jets keeping sh*tty for yet another year makes me sick to my stomach and would totally ruin football for me next year.

He had an offense full of superstars in Dallas.

The "superstars" were kids in Dallas under Norv and became superstars on his watch. Not saying he's the main reason they became superstars, but he developed those offensive skill players.

The "superstars" were kids in Dallas under Norv and became superstars on his watch. Not saying he's the main reason they became superstars, but he developed those offensive skill players.

Oh please. I've never heard one of them - not ONE - credit their "development" to Norv Turner. I've heard that said about a number of coaches, even the great Paul H**kett (Montana, Pennington, and Gannon all talk about him like he's the cat's meow). The only thing I've heard from players regarding Norv Turner is them saying he has to go.

If he was so great how come he couldn't develop Alexander Wright, Alvin Harper, Jimmy Smith (who they drafted under him and then cut without using on his watch), Kevin Williams. Four 1st & 2nd-round WRs on his watch and the best of the bunch he "developed" was Alvin Harper.

The good ones & great ones developed and the sucky ones didn't. Just like in Washington with premiere picks like Shuler & Westbrook. They drafted Stephen Davis but Turner let him rot for 2 years as a FB for an always-injured & has-been Terry Allen. He got one good but hardly great season out of Stephen Alexander. The Redskins burned a ton of high picks on these guys and some, like Shuler, didn't "develop" any better than Vernon Gholston.

I don't think for a second that the guy knows nothing about NFL offenses. I don't think Schottenheimer knows nothing either.

I'm saying if anyone thinks this offense is going to be noticeably better (and most importantly, win more games as a result) with Norv Turner as Schottenheimer's replacement you are in for a huge disappointment. If you hated Schottenheimer's 3 unsuccessful pass attempt calls at the 5-minute mark vs the Giants, then you will hate Norv Turner as well.

Of course there's that other thing: the guy's a loser and his players walk all over him.

Oh please. I've never heard one of them - not ONE - credit their "development" to Norv Turner. I've heard that said about a number of coaches, even the great Paul H**kett (Montana, Pennington, and Gannon all talk about him like he's the cat's meow). The only thing I've heard from players regarding Norv Turner is them saying he has to go.

If he was so great how come he couldn't develop Alexander Wright, Alvin Harper, Jimmy Smith (who they drafted under him and then cut without using on his watch), Kevin Williams. Four 1st & 2nd-round WRs on his watch and the best of the bunch he "developed" was Alvin Harper.

The good ones & great ones developed and the sucky ones didn't. Just like in Washington with premiere picks like Shuler & Westbrook. They drafted Stephen Davis but Turner let him rot for 2 years as a FB for an always-injured & has-been Terry Allen. He got one good but hardly great season out of Stephen Alexander. The Redskins burned a ton of high picks on these guys and some, like Shuler, didn't "develop" any better than Vernon Gholston.

I don't think for a second that the guy knows nothing about NFL offenses. I don't think Schottenheimer knows nothing either.

I'm saying if anyone thinks this offense is going to be noticeably better (and most importantly, win more games as a result) with Norv Turner as Schottenheimer's replacement you are in for a huge disappointment. If you hated Schottenheimer's 3 unsuccessful pass attempt calls at the 5-minute mark vs the Giants, then you will hate Norv Turner as well.

Of course there's that other thing: the guy's a loser and his players walk all over him.

This

The thing is, the Jets aren't hiring a traditional OC. Because of Rex's aversion to offense, they're hiring a de facto half-head-coach, one who will be working without any support from the real head coach. We're witnessing what happens when you give that sort of freedom and responsibility to a young coach right now--he's essentially taken the keys to the hot rod and crashed it into a telephone pole. I think the Jets will be best served giving the job to an older, established guy who isn't going to come away from the drawing board with a bunch of wacked-out, overly-complicated "look how smart I am" game plans the way Schotty did, and the way I'm sure a young QB coach given his first shot in the driver's seat would.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to hire Norv, necessarily. But, I think of the older, established set, Norv is the best of that group.

Tom;

You off Twitter?? Folks askin..

Haha. Yeah. Sorry. Lost my mind reading some of the more self-important homers on there discussing how the Jets are poised to beat the Packers in the Super Bowl (and how anyone who didn't agree was stoopid) and decided that 140 characters wasn't enough space to scream at them. Had to bail for my own sanity.

The thing is, the Jets aren't hiring a traditional OC. Because of Rex's aversion to offense, they're hiring a de facto half-head-coach, one who will be working without any support from the real head coach. We're witnessing what happens when you give that sort of freedom and responsibility to a young coach right now--he's essentially taken the keys to the hot rod and crashed it into a telephone pole. I think the Jets will be best served giving the job to an older, established guy who isn't going to come away from the drawing board with a bunch of wacked-out, overly-complicated "look how smart I am" game plans the way Schotty did, and the way I'm sure a young QB coach given his first shot in the driver's seat would.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to hire Norv, necessarily. But, I think of the older, established set, Norv is the best of that group.

Norv is a terrible fit for lazy players like Santonio Holmes and who knows what Sanchez's work habits are, as we've heard both good and bad things.

But Norv is a particularly bad fit for Rex who wants ground & pound not because it produces more points, but because it keeps his defense off the field. It doesn't just stop the other team from scoring (insert Sanchez joke here); the secondary effect is to make the defensive ranking higher. Teams are less likely to run up the score. His defense will always look better than it is. And I'm fine with that.

But you have to be able to score points when needed, and with this current offense that isn't doable unless it's a team that gives up 3 TDs/game to just about anyone.

IMO they will hire a traditional OC. One who has a bit more experience than Schott-for-brains did when he was hired.

Like it or not I still think there's a good chance it's Cavanaugh or Callahan.

Norv is a terrible fit for lazy players like Santonio Holmes and who knows what Sanchez's work habits are, as we've heard both good and bad things.

But Norv is a particularly bad fit for Rex who wants ground & pound not because it produces more points, but because it keeps his defense off the field. It doesn't just stop the other team from scoring (insert Sanchez joke here); the secondary effect is to make the defensive ranking higher. Teams are less likely to run up the score. His defense will always look better than it is. And I'm fine with that.

But you have to be able to score points when needed, and with this current offense that isn't doable unless it's a team that gives up 3 TDs/game to just about anyone.

IMO they will hire a traditional OC. One who has a bit more experience than Schott-for-brains did when he was hired.

Like it or not I still think there's a good chance it's Cavanaugh or Callahan.

I'd be happy with Callahan. I think that's the perfect kind of guy--experienced, and doesn't need babysitting. Also, he wouldn't want or need Rex to come down the hall to discipline/coach up his players for him. That's what I mean by not hiring a traditional OC, where you just have a guy sitting in a film room drawing up plays and, on game day, calling them. Whoever gets this job is basically getting half a roster worth of directionless mercenaries whom he is in direct and absolute control of. That's a big nut for a young guy to handle.

Schotty will be gone next year.

Ryan must remain loyal publicly and he'll handle this in a way that won't damage Schottenheimer or subsequent opportunities going forward.

If there is nobody that hires him as a head coach, he could land a job as an OC with an Asst HC title from another team, which would in essence be a promotion for Schotty and would help save face.

In any case, I would be shocked if he's still here next year.

exactly.... this is just the political thing to say in front of the media right now because the season isn't even over. watch if the jets dont make the playoffs how quick that changes and shotty is out the door even he he doesnt have a head coaching job.

I'd be happy with Callahan. I think that's the perfect kind of guy--experienced, and doesn't need babysitting. Also, he wouldn't want or need Rex to come down the hall to discipline/coach up his players for him. That's what I mean by not hiring a traditional OC, where you just have a guy sitting in a film room drawing up plays and, on game day, calling them. Whoever gets this job is basically getting half a roster worth of directionless mercenaries whom he is in direct and absolute control of. That's a big nut for a young guy to handle.

You always find a way to fit big nuts in your post...and your mouth.

Archived