Star Wars Mafia #2 - Game Thread

Bleedin Green

Hoops baby. Best cardio workout you can do.

2 nights of hoops. 4 nights of weights with some ellipticals thrown in there 2 out of those 4 nights = Sun's Out, Gun's Out.

The weights thingy is awesome. I never thought I'd be into them as much as I am. I was always, the run, push ups, sit ups guy when I need to lose the extra pounds put on during Football season. But I'm like really into lifting. Helped me kick the extra weight fast this year. After 3 weeks, I'd pretty much lost all the weight I needed. Now I'm not losing weight because I'm adding muscle.

The thing thats a bitch is the belly. Hard to get the flab to muscle. Everything else kind of started taking form quickly.

Olympic lifts and squat lol. Overhead squat. Have you tried overhead squatting? If you want to talk about "core stabilization" that's one of the best movements you can do. It's meat headish but it's a rush to move heavy weight. I stopped doing a lot the "cardio conditioning" aspect of Crossfit and am into the strength/Olympic lifts and tacked on 10 lbs of muscle in about 3 months without even trying.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medicine balls, my man. I still need to drop some weight before I'm worrying about sporting a 6-pack, but it's definitely the best bet I've found.

Dude, I'm doing it all. Its just a bitch. Now dont get me wrong, I've lost pretty much all my gut...but turing the flab into muscle is different. Every where else I've got definition.

I preach short, intense efforts for cardio. Whether it's sprints, Crossfit/circuit training, jump roping, whatever. I think the best break down I give to guys is this: Look at olympic sprinters. They are jacked. Even Usain Bolt who is a lanky build is pretty jacked. Then go look at olympic marathon runners. They look like they're going to die. As a dude would you rather be jacked or skinny? So yes, while long state steady cardio isn't a terrible thing sometimes, it's terrible all the time.

And it all depends on your goals, whether it's performance, vanity, general preparedness. I do Crossfit, and I'm a smaller guy, so I dominate workouts that are gymnastics based, but I struggle with the olympic lifts, so I'm working on nothing but olympic lifts and squatting. Now I'm rambling but my point is- know your goal and be honest. If it's vanity... nothing wrong with that, and go from there. I would only recommend don't waste time with machines. Compound lifts ftmfw.

Vanity and peformance for me. I'm single guy who's biggest passion is surfing. I want to look good when I take my shirt off and I want to surf forever.

Olympic lifts and squat lol. Overhead squat. Have you tried overhead squatting? If you want to talk about "core stabilization" that's one of the best movements you can do. It's meat headish but it's a rush to move heavy weight. I stopped doing a lot the "cardio conditioning" aspect of Crossfit and am into the strength/Olympic lifts and tacked on 10 lbs of muscle in about 3 months without even trying.

I'm pretty much doing everything in the gym other legs workout and squats. Squats is the way to go huh?

Meanwhile my body is falling apart at 36. I train 5 days a week yet right now I have muscle spasms in my lower back, tendinitis in my left knee and something going on with my left shoulder. My wife wants me to do tough mudder with her but I seriously don't know if I could do it anymore. Very sad.

I'm pretty much doing everything in the gym other legs workout and squats. Squats is the way to go huh?

I think your MT will confirm squats = king. And don't do that 90 degree bullsh*t. Squat below parallel, it works your abs, glutes, hams, quads, calves, pretty much everything PLUS I'm going to just guess that a strong core/legs is key in surfing. This is a good instructional video. If I were to recommend lifts for people to hit in the gym it'd be:

Squat

Front Squat

Overhead Squat

Deadlift

Press w/barbell

Bench

Cleans

Snatch

If you want guns nothing wrong with some curls. I just view it simply as "How many muscles am I using doing this lift" cause the more you use, the more intense/calorie burning/beneficial it is to your body. Nothing wrong with curls though, I just don't do them cause I do a sh*t ton of pull ups.

I preach short, intense efforts for cardio. Whether it's sprints, Crossfit/circuit training, jump roping, whatever. I think the best break down I give to guys is this: Look at olympic sprinters. They are jacked. Even Usain Bolt who is a lanky build is pretty jacked. Then go look at olympic marathon runners. They look like they're going to die. As a dude would you rather be jacked or skinny? So yes, while long state steady cardio isn't a terrible thing sometimes, it's terrible all the time.

And it all depends on your goals, whether it's performance, vanity, general preparedness. I do Crossfit, and I'm a smaller guy, so I dominate workouts that are gymnastics based, but I struggle with the olympic lifts, so I'm working on nothing but olympic lifts and squatting. Now I'm rambling but my point is- know your goal and be honest. If it's vanity... nothing wrong with that, and go from there. I would only recommend don't waste time with machines. Compound lifts ftmfw.

The best benefit of long steady cardio, as ladyfriend says, is it teaches manipulation of the heart rate. You become more comfortable performing anything at a sustained high heart rate, can recover it way faster, and once your in shape your average workout rate is lower, meaning you can go even harder for longer.

I think your MT will confirm squats = king. And don't do that 90 degree bullsh*t. Squat below parallel, it works your abs, glutes, hams, quads, calves, pretty much everything PLUS I'm going to just guess that a strong core/legs is key in surfing. This is a good instructional video. If I were to recommend lifts for people to hit in the gym it'd be:

Squat

Front Squat

Overhead Squat

Deadlift

Press w/barbell

Bench

Cleans

Snatch

If you want guns nothing wrong with some curls. I just view it simply as "How many muscles am I using doing this lift" cause the more you use, the more intense/calorie burning/beneficial it is to your body. Nothing wrong with curls though, I just don't do them cause I do a sh*t ton of pull ups.

Nice...I'll check this out. I do curls, bench and a ton of other type of lifts that work specific muscles. Maybe need to start incorporating those lifts you are talking about...just never do them. Thought they were all lower body work outs which I get from hoops and ellipticals.

Nice...I'll check this out. I do curls, bench and a ton of other type of lifts that work specific muscles. Maybe need to start incorporating those lifts you are talking about...just never do them. Thought they were all lower body work outs which I get from hoops and ellipticals.

Hoops is a great workout. Compound lifts increase testosterone, which in turn generates more muscle growth. I wish Crusher would jump in on this. Squats = win in terms of getting jacked.

The best benefit of long steady cardio, as ladyfriend says, is it teaches manipulation of the heart rate. You become more comfortable performing anything at a sustained high heart rate, can recover it way faster, and once your in shape your average workout rate is lower, meaning you can go even harder for longer.

Arguments for and against everything. I'm just a sprinter. That's my mentality. I tried the runner thing for a year and didn't see much gains. As gay as this sounds that why fitness is fun for me, cause people react different to different things.

I wish I could ball more often. Seems there's just no indoor courts in this city to play at for free.

I just got lucky. Found 2 indoor games that are every week, year round. I was playing at some park on double rims...and while my shot is silky enough, I cant be my normal self on a the double rim half moon back boards.

Give me glass and a breakaway - I'll fill that bitch up all night.

Sure. I'll play left handed to make it fair for you.

Maaaybe you can serve lefty, haha. :P Depending on how fast your serve is. Other than that I feel good about this match. PM me if you're serious and we can play if you're ever in my area. :)

very good. my mother was a tennis instructor.

you're dead meat.

Nice, that must have been awesome! Haha mine just pretended to be one (i.e. would drag me out to the courts every morning and set up the ball machine). Did you play juniors, college, etc.?

Nice, that must have been awesome! Haha mine just pretended to be one (i.e. would drag me out to the courts every morning and set up the ball machine). Did you play juniors, college, etc.?

No. My mom was a club instructor so I played club and swam until I was about 12. I played football and lacrosse in hs, college although I was better at the wimpier sports tbh. Lol I can see poor little Dan now. Ma do I have to?? Yes dear we must work on that backhand. I was gonna say I'll play you and JVOR both a the same time but I think i already underestimated you a la everything else we do around here. Lulz.

No. My mom was a club instructor so I played club and swam until I was about 12. I played football and lacrosse in hs, college although I was better at the wimpier sports tbh. Lol I can see poor little Dan now. Ma do I have to?? Yes dear we must work on that backhand. I was gonna say I'll play you and JVOR both a the same time but I think i already underestimated you a la everything else we do around here. Lulz.

Hehe my issue was usually footwork, well more like laziness, lol. My coach liked to make me play with my legs tied together. But I'm serious, if you serve anywhere near the 120 range I'll need you to serve lefty unless you just want to ace me a whole ton. I'm kind of hoping that you kick my a$$ though. :)

Hehe my issue was usually footwork, well more like laziness, lol. My coach liked to make me play with my legs tied together. But I'm serious, if you serve anywhere near the 120 range I'll need you to serve lefty unless you just want to ace me a whole ton. I'm kind of hoping that you kick my a$$ though. :)

Meh I'm already digressing. I've played twice since HS. Once was at a company function where I played and ex-College player. He beat me 6-0 in one set but I swear to god I was the only one in the company who could play and volley with him, I even dropped deuce on him one game. But now your skillz are making me nervous. I will play righty.

Meh I'm already digressing. I've played twice since HS. Once was at a company function where I played and ex-College player. He beat me 6-0 in one set but I swear to god I was the only one in the company who could play and volley with him, I even dropped deuce on him one game. But now your skillz are making me nervous. I will play righty.

You shouldn't be nervous, I've only played for fun since HS too. I got really burnt out. So my accuracy is not at all what it used to be. But I still hit really hard, which is the fun part! :P

Well, the big black guy is actually country club silver spooner. Go figure.

Archived