Mock Draft 1.0

Darrellegivesmeaboner#24

Round 1: Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State

-Not necessarily a direct area of need, but Burfict is going to be an impact linebacker in the NFL. Bart Scott is on his last legs, and entering his final season with the team. To say Burfict is a beast is an understatement. The dude is an elite talent at the linebacker position, and will likely be available to us due to maturity concerns. Too much value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7achvXsy3Q

Round 2: Mark Barron, S, Alabama

-The best Safety in the draft, bar none. A terrific player who can cover, tackle, and help in run support. Well coached, played in a pro style defense. A mid-first round talent, but injury concerns (rumored to have a double sports hernia and will be out until August) will prevent teams from getting a good look at him during the draft process. If he makes it out of the first round, this must be our pick. Top talent at a top need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TnM7CIHATw

Round 3: Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall

-One of the best collegiate pass rushers in the country, Curry is going to be under scrutiny due to a lack of experience playing top notch competition. Curry has acceptable size for an OLB in our system (6'5" 253) and fills a gaping hole. Curry simply knows how to get to the QB, and will be a huge improvement over guys like Jamal Westerman and Garrett McIntyre. This guy plays like a Jet.

Round 4: LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

-A blur in the open field, and a first round pick based on production. James has top notch speed and agility, but due to his small stature (5'8" 190) he will drop in the draft like many other RBs in the past. If we are going back to the GnP we are definitely going to need another legitimate option out of the back field. James can give that to us, while also improving our team speed on offense.

Round 5: Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

-Big bodied WR with excellent hands. Strong receiver who is willing to make the difficult catch over the middle. Very productive Senior season, even with spotty at-best QB play. If McNutt were still on the board this late he could end up being a steal. Probably gone by this point, but it is very possible that he doesn't test out well in terms of straight line speed. However, 16 YPC, 1,300 yards, 12 TDs, still count for something...

Round 6: Drew Butler, P, Georgia

-Rare that a player selected this late can have a serious impact on a team, but Butler will have that opportunity. He is the best Punter in this draft, and it is about time we addressed this position properly.

Round 7: Kashif Moore, WR, UConn

-A true burner (rumored to run a lower than 4.35 40). Small WR who can stretch the field deep and has been known to make a spectacular catch. Limited in terms of size, which hurts his pro potential, but you can teach speed; or find a better attribute when drafting late...

I agree that Burfict is a great athlete and a great fit for the Jets defense but i question his draft value. He should be there middle of round 2. the way his stock fell... it might be overpaying to take him in mid round 1.

I don't think his stock will have taken that big a drop come the combine. This kid has a lot of tape, he started basically every game since Freshman year, and most of it is good. His maturity and character concerns are completely overblown in my book; if anything, I wouldn't mind having a mad crazy backer to replace "The Crazy Backer"...Regardless of what the league views his value as, we should take him anyway. This is a pick that will pan out in a big way for our defense, if it means overpaying for a pick that is going to work, so what?

.Regardless of what the league views his value as, we should take him anyway. This is a pick that will pan out in a big way for our defense, if it means overpaying for a pick that is going to work, so what?

I used to believe this but over the years it becomes clear that the draft is about value.

For example I really thought Terrence Cody was an ideal nose tackle. I thought he was worth a late 1st. But he wasn't. Ozzy newsome traded down, took him in the 2nd (and Sergio Kindle) and got two guys who were possibly 1st round values at 2nd round prices. Cody became a good player but they didn't overpay for him.

I like Burfict and I think he'd be awesome as a Jet. but taking him 15-30 slots too early is not good drafting. another problem with 1st round picks they require huge production to justify the pick. if the Jets take Burfict and he sits for a year playing specials behind Scott and Harris, fans will call it a wasted pick. a 2nd rounder sits it's a little easier to handle. It's my understanding Scott isn't going anywhere for at least 1 year.

also with all the personal fouls he might be there in the 3rd. it's not unthinkable. yes he's a fantastic player but he has fantastic amount of baggage. he'd have to run in the 4.4 area to be worth a mid 1st at this point. Zach Brown might actually do that. I suspect Burfict will perform ok not great at Indy. He's a football player more than he is a track athlete.

I like Burfict and I think he'd be awesome as a Jet. but taking him 15-30 slots too early is not good drafting. another problem with 1st round picks they require huge production to justify the pick. if the Jets take Burfict and he sits for a year playing specials behind Scott and Harris, fans will call it a wasted pick. a 2nd rounder sits it's a little easier to handle. It's my understanding Scott isn't going anywhere for at least 1 year.

hes athletic enough to play the outside.. he really can do it all.. so i dont see him sittin no matter where he goes

I really like Burfict and want him on this team, but that's as far as that goes. I'd completely understand if he didn't end up here...I think Dont'a Hightower would be a fine compromise. There's another guy that can do it all and has legit pro size. This one's not even crazy. In fact, he was the defactor leader in the front 7 for the Tide...Don't take my word on that, but I'm pretty sure it's true. He was often the guy directing other guys not lined up behind him.

I think that Burfict is better suited to play inside in a 3-4 front, but I imagine he would be at least as good as Bryan Thomas was as an OLB. I would take Burfict at 16 if he were available because I don't think that he will make it to the second round. He is a beast, and it only takes one team to determine that he has top 10 talent regardless of baggage; while drafting him in the mid-late 1st round...I really think need wise we should take Barron, but I like what I've seen from some of the later Safety prospects like Markele Martin or George Iloka enough so that I would take the best talent available at 16 (Burfict).

Would it be overypaying for Barron if we took him at our present draft position. I agree with other posters that he will not be there when we get to the second round. We can save ILB for the second pick. I also do not think we need to pick two wideouts in this draft. We do however need to bring in a QB that will at least give Sanchez some fear of losing his Job.

My mock offseason 1.0

Free Agency

Demetrius Bell, OT, Buffalo

LaRon Landry, S, Washington

Robert Meachem, WR, New Orleans

Jason Campbell, QB, Oakland

Braylon Edwards, WR, San Francisco

Draft

Rd 1 – Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Rd 2 – Donta’ Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Rd 3 – Lamichael James, RB, Oregon

Rd. 4 – Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

Rd 5 – Bryan Anger, P, California

Rd 6 – Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State

Rd. 7 – Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor

2012 Opening Day Depth Chart

QB (3) – Mark Sanchez, Jason Campbell, Greg McElroy

RB (3) – Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, LaMichael James

FB (2) – John Conner, Josh Baker

WR (6) – Santonio Holmes, Robert Meachem, Braylon Edwards, Jeremy Kerley, Patrick Turner, 1 S/Ter

TE (3) – Dustin Keller, Michael Egnew, Jeff Cumberland

OT (4) – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Demetrius Bell, Robert Turner

OG (3) – Brandon Moore, Matt Slausson, Vlad Ducasse

C (1) – Nick Mangold

O Total: 25

DE (3) – Muhammed Wilkerson, Mike Devito , Ropati Pitoitua

DT (5) – Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Marcus Dixon, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Martin Tevaseu

ILB (4)– David Harris, Donta Hightower, Josh Mauga, Nick Bellore

OLB (4) – Calvin Pace, Courtney Upshaw, Aaron Maybin, Jamaal Westerman

CB (6) – Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Donald Strickland, Marquice Cole, Ellis Lankster

SS (2) – Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool

FS (1) – LaRon Landry

D Total: 25

K (1) – Nick Folk

P (1) – Bryan Anger

LS (1) – Tanner Purdum

KR – Joe McKnight

PR – Jeremy Kerley

ST Total: 3

Bit what do you make of my mock?

I would love it if both Bama LB were Jets. that would be amazing. I wonder if the Jets are going to make alot of signings on the free agent market. they aren't in great cap shape. Lamichael in 3 that's about where he should go.

2012 Opening Day Depth Chart

QB (3) – Mark Sanchez, Brock Osweiler,udf Case Keenum

RB (3) – Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight,udf Lance Dunbar

FB (2) – John Conner, Josh Baker

WR (6) – Santonio Holmes, Robert Meachem, Brian Quick, Braylon Edwards, Jeremy Kerley,

TE (3) – Dustin Keller, Michael Egnew, Jeff Cumberland

OT (4) – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nate Porter, Robert Turner

OG (3) – Brandon Moore, Matt Slausson, Vlad Ducasse

C (1) – Nick Mangold

O Total: 25

DE (3) – Muhammed Wilkerson,Kenrick Ellis Mike Devito , Ropati Pitoitua

DT (5) –,Alameda Ta'amu , Marcus Dixon, , Martin Tevaseu

ILB (4)– David Harris, Kevin Reddick, Josh Mauga, udf Sammy Brown

OLB (4) – Calvin Pace, Vinne Curry, Aaron Maybin, Jamaal Westerman udfSam Brown

CB (6) – Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Donald Strickland, Marquice Cole, Ellis Lankster

SS (2) – Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool Blake Gideon

FS (1) – LaRon Landry

Finally a front seven that has both size and speed can you imagine DE Muhammed, DT Alameda, DE Kendrick or Devito, ILB David Harris. Kevin Reddick, OLB Vinnie Curry, Calvin Pace, Sam Brown, Aaron Maybin, SS Jim Leonhard, FS LaRon Landry and on 3rd down OLB Vinnie Curry, Aaron Maybin, ........

Trade out of the first round

2 Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington

Height: 6-3. Weight: 341.

Projected 40 Time: 5.42.

Arm: 33. Hand: 9 7/8.

Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

2.a Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall

Height: 6-3. Weight: 265.

Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Arm: 32. Hand: 9 1/4.

Projected Round (2012): 1-2

3. Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

Height: 6-6. Weight: 300.

Projected 40 Time: 5.14.

Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

3.a Kevin Reddick*, ILB, North Carolina

Height: 6-3. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

4. Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

Height: 6-8. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

5. Blake Gideon, FS, Texas

Height: 6-1. Weight: 200.

Projected 40 Time: 4.54.

6. Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 222.

Projected 40 Time: 4.52.

Arm: 33 1/2. Hand: 9 7/8.

Undrafted Free Agents

Lance Dunbar, RB, North Texas

Height: 5-9. Weight: 203.

Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Projected Round (2012): 5-6.

1/16/12: Defenses were focused on limiting Dunbar this season. He still ran for 1,115 yards and 10 touchdowns (4.1 average). Dunbar ran for 313 yards and four touchdowns in his final game.

Name: Renard Williams

College: Eastern Washington Number: 98

Height: 6-1 Weight: 305

Position: DT Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2012

40 Time: 5.08 40 Low: 4.92 40 High: 5.18

Projected Round: Stock:

Rated number 32 out of 196 DT's

Name: Sammy Brown

College: Houston Number: 8

Height: 6-2 Weight: 243

Position: OLB Pos2: ILB

Class/Draft Year: rSr/2012

40 Time: 4.67 40 Low: 4.57 40 High: 4.78

Rated number 30 out of 228 OLB's

Name: Greg Childs (+) Coming off knee injury

College: Arkansas Number: 85

Height: 6-3 Weight: 215

Position: WR Pos2:

40 Time: 4.56 40 Low: 4.45 40 High: 4.65

Rated number 38 out of 362 WR's

Name: *Dorian Graham (+) Coming off shoulder injury

College: Syracuse Number: 10

Height: 5-10 Weight: 185

Position: WR Pos2: CB/KR/ATH

40 Time: 4.32 40 Low: 4.24 40 High: 4.45

Rated number 43 out of 362 WR's

Name: Case Keenum (+) Coming off knee injury

College: Houston Number: 7

Height: 6-1 Weight: 210

Position: QB Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: rSr/2012

40 Time: 4.94 40 Low: 4.83 40 High: 5.05

Projected Round: 7-FA Stock:

Rated number 13 out of 127 QB's

Name: Joe Looney

College: Wake Forest Number: 78

Height: 6-3 Weight: 320

Position: OG Pos2: OT

40 Time: 5.02 40 Low: 4.92 40 High: 5.14

Projected Round: 7 Stock:

Rated number 16 out of 239 OG's

Name: *Johnny Thomas (Ineligible for 2011)

College: Oklahoma State Number: 12

Height: 5-11 Weight: 205

Position: SS Pos2: FS

40 Time: 4.52 40 Low: 4.42 40 High: 4.64

Projected Round: 7-FA Stock:

Rated number 11 out of 122 SS's

Archived