Does Maybin Start Next Year?

TNJet

I think he has earned the right, after being our best pass rusher last season..Thoughts? Will we see Upshaw or Ingram playing opposite Mayhem? Sounds dangerous for the opposing QB's. Its obvious BT and Pace have fell off production wise and theres really no way we pass up on an edge rusher this year sitting at 16 is there?

No

Maybin is a good role player. He may get more snaps, as I think Rex will devise some schemes to bring more heat, but a 225# starting LB'er isn't going to do much for the run D

I agree, though I think he will be up to 230!

I say Yes. I think he'll play the role of the SS in our 46 looks. In effect we would be playing 5 LBs, just one is on the line as a "DE" (Thomas/Pace) and the other plays the roaming blitzer at the "SS" (Maybin)

350px-46_green.svg.png

Can he cover anybody? The key to that would be some versatility. Eric Smith is suited to that hybrid LB/S. I'm not sure about Maybin.

I say Yes. I think he'll play the role of the SS in our 46 looks. In effect we would be playing 5 LBs, just one is on the line as a "DE" (Thomas/Pace) and the other plays the roaming blitzer at the "SS" (Maybin)

350px-46_green.svg.png

That kind of thing is what I was talking about when I said " Rex will devise some schemes to bring more heat", but that for sure won't be the base set that will make him a starter

I agree, though I think he will be up to 230!

Can he cover anybody? The key to that would be some versatility. Eric Smith is suited to that hybrid LB/S. I'm not sure about Maybin.

You're probably right, the original "46" player was a tough-guy safety like Smith.

That kind of thing is what I was talking about when I said " Rex will devise some schemes to bring more heat", but that for sure won't be the base set that will make him a starter

hahahaa you're probably right. Something tells me that Maybin is going to work on his OLB game: improve his pass-rush repetoire, and his covering.

Hahahahahaahha no. He's not going to replace Pace either.

Either Something amazing happens to Maybin for that to happen or the Jets reeeeaaaallllyyy f'd up this offseason.

No way I see this as a F up. Even if he doesn't work out. No commitment.

If he gets 8-10 sicks it's a win situation. He's not going to be an every down LB'er. That's why the Bills released him. He's a one trick pony. But when that trick is putting QB's on their butt, good trick

Pace hasn't had the gaudy sack numbers of an elite rusher, but he's been a very good player for us. No way he's gone, especially if we're already losing Bryan Thomas.

I'd like to see Maybin in for more snaps just because he's our best pure rusher right now by far. I don't think he's ever going to be very good against the run, but if he can find a way to cover that'd be great.

Archived