Steelers are doing it right

Integrity28

no i'm just ranting. its frustrating hearing fellow fans bitch about the team we love because of a disappointing season. I expect the rest of the football world to pile on us and the Jets but when the true fans start to say we suck when we were one game from the playoffs it gets disheartening.

I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's tough when you see everyone swinging to one side or the other

i thought i was in the middle...lol...don't get too frustrated...keep the passion...to me...the Jets are like another marriage...you have to bitch a little or nothing improves...at the same time you can't whine every time some aspect doesn't meet expectations...fwiw...do expect another strong run next year.

This fan base isn't patient enough to plan long term. With the way things are around here, if a draft pick isn't a pro bowler by his second year, he's a scrub and people are screaming to get released. If the Jets' fan base was as good as the Steelers', this wouldn't be an issue.

The team creates the fans...the fans don't create the team...put a great product on the field and watch how patient the fan base becomes...cause I'm thinking the Steeler fan base wasn't this patient in the late 60s and the realy early 70s before the Super Bowl wins.

The team creates the fans...the fans don't create the team...put a great product on the field and watch how patient the fan base becomes...cause I'm thinking the Steeler fan base wasn't this patient in the late 60s and the realy early 70s before the Super Bowl wins.

Normally, I would agree with you. Then I remember us getting to back to back championship games, and then falling off the next year and people act like we went 1-15. Cut this guy, trade this guy, go get Peyton Manning because we need to win now, etc. The fact remains that if a player gets drafted and isn't a starter from day 1, people complain that the player sucks. So how are we supposed to 'act like the Steelers' and draft for the future when some fans will complain because they couldn't unseat the starter? That's what I'm talking about when I say the fan base is not patient. There are people here on this site that will complain with whoever we draft if they aren't in the pro bowl by their second year.

If the Jets' fan base was as good as the Steelers', this wouldn't be an issue.

Yea I'm pretty sure if we had won 6 superbowls in the last 30+ years we could be a "better" fanbase. Winning is all that matters and until we see serious success (i.e. Superbowl wins) there will always be a lot of doubters and questions directed at Tanny and the whole FO.

What other Steeler did we take out of their prime? Holmes we got because he was a dopehead and a locker room cancer. Plaxico we got after he was with the Giants and served time for shooting himself. neither pass their prime, both stupid as hell though.

I said ex-Steelers and other ex- well run franchises. We overpay for aging veterans regularly, Faneca, Favre, Plaxico, LT all come to mind in the last couple years. It's been an issue for the Jets going back decades though.

We got rid of aging players and replaced them with good players who were either young or in their prime, too:

Conner for Richardson

Slauson for Faneca

Wilkerson for Ellis

Pouha/K.Ellis for Jenkins

Wilson for... whoever the old Nickel was (?)

Cro for Sheppard

You are correct, we have used the draft to replace some of the old vets we overpaid for. I stand corrected. Except with Cro for Sheppard. We overpaid Cro as a result of the Nnamdi chase.

Plan worked pretty well in 09 and 10. Two years, one game short of Superbowl each year. Just sayin'. If you want to say Tanny doesn't have a plan, well, it's better than 25 other teams out there...

You are right, but I prefer not to celebrate 3rd and 4th place finishes. If you ain't first, your last.... lol

You know this pessimistic sad sack crap around here gets really tired. The Jets were 8-8 after two winning seasons, give it a rest. Yes it was disappointing, no one was exempt from it. But move on. The new season is here, stop dwelling on what you have no control over.

You wanna talk about the steelers then explain why they went 8-8 in '06 and 9-7 in 2009?

The intent of the thread wasn't to be pessimistic, it was simply to recognize how consistent their personnel department has been for the past few decades. I admire what they do.

Also, the fact that you can only point to 2 seasons and say "what happened" does a better job of making my point, that contradicting it.

Had the Jets released players the like of Hines Ward and Aaron Smith there would be a complete meltdown by the fan base

The Jets got killed last year for getting rid of certain aging players...now the Steelers are being congratulated

Some pretty f#@ked up fans

I was one that congratulated the Jets last year for dumping veterans, tbh. I made the silly assumption that they knew what they were doing and had capable backups in place. The Jets didn't. That is the thing with what the Steelers are doing, they have talent waiting to step in. We had scrubs.

Are you serious? Faneca was toast, lost his legs

And Ellis, as we saw this year was DONE...Big Mo will be a 10 year starter for us...great pick...Mo also came out a year early, so 11 year starter

Faneca WAS toast. It was replacing Woody with a turnstile that set us back.

Going back to my original point that the Steelers dump vets and have TALENT waiting in the wings to step in. More often than not. I'm not implying they get it right all the time, but they hit more than they miss. Which is why there are only a couple seasons people can point to to say I'm wrong... a couple seasons out of a couple decades.

Faneca WAS toast. It was replacing Woody with a turnstile that set us back.

Going back to my original point that the Steelers dump vets and have TALENT waiting in the wings to step in. More often than not. I'm not implying they get it right all the time, but they hit more than they miss. Which is why there are only a couple seasons people can point to to say I'm wrong... a couple seasons out of a couple decades.

Meh, to this day, I cant blame the Jets for that. Hunter was lights out in the absence of Woody. In fact, the OL had a couple of their best games with Hunter in their. That was the one move I thought was very smart by the Jets...but the SpaceJam aliens must have visited Hunter or something.

The Steelers "football model" or "buisness model" is the way they have been doing it for almost 20 years.

When guys are getting near the end of their contracts they start looking for their replacments in the draft.

From O'Donnell, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, and Barry Foster to guys like Randel El, Joey Porter, Faneca, to Hines Ward.

The key is that the Steelers are bringing these guys in sometimes 2 years before the guy that they are replacing deals are up.

The Jets right now should be looking to draft a guy that in 2013 or 14 could take the place of a Calvin Pace, or a Brandon Moore.

The Steelers it seems very rarely spend alot of money on Free agents as well. Farrior might be the the exception to that and look how long he ended up playing for them. 10/11 years and that is after spending the first 5 years as a member of the Jets.

The Jets right now should be looking to draft a guy that in 2013 or 14 could take the place of a Calvin Pace, or a Brandon Moore.

And when that player is on the field sparingly, because he couldn't unseat the starter in his first two years, can you imagine what this place will look like? People are still killing Kyle Wilson and he made a huge improvement over his rookie year.

Meh, to this day, I cant blame the Jets for that. Hunter was lights out in the absence of Woody. In fact, the OL had a couple of their best games with Hunter in their. That was the one move I thought was very smart by the Jets...but the SpaceJam aliens must have visited Hunter or something.

I woudn't ever say Hunter was lights out. He was better filling in for Woody the previous season, than he was last year when the job became his to lose. That's about the extent of it.

The Steelers "football model" or "buisness model" is the way they have been doing it for almost 20 years.

When guys are getting near the end of their contracts they start looking for their replacments in the draft.

From O'Donnell, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, and Barry Foster to guys like Randel El, Joey Porter, Faneca, to Hines Ward.

The key is that the Steelers are bringing these guys in sometimes 2 years before the guy that they are replacing deals are up.

The Steelers it seems very rarely spend alot of money on Free agents as well. Farrior might be the the exception to that and look how long he ended up playing for them. 10/11 years and that is after spending the first 5 years as a member of the Jets.

Yep.

It's basically chess (PIT) vs. checkers (NYJ).

I woudn't ever say Hunter was lights out. He was better filling in for Woody the previous season, than he was last year when the job became his to lose. That's about the extent of it.

He played vs. the Steelers in Pitt and completely shut down Harrison and Woodley. He was arguably an upgrade as Woody was declining.

The mistake the Jets made was not bringing in depth when Turner went down. Turner was HUGE in the run game. We didnt have those, #75 is checking in as an eligible receiver options like we did in 09 and 10. He was crucial to opening up lanes. At the time, I thought they'd be ok, but I was clearly wrong.

And when that player is on the field sparingly, because he couldn't unseat the starter in his first two years, can you imagine what this place will look like? People are still killing Kyle Wilson and he made a huge improvement over his rookie year.

and god forbid if Vlad actually has a chance to play....ohhhhh the insanity

and if and when he plays, and if and when he's successful, I can't wait for the guys to come out and say I was always a Vlad backer.

Kareem McKenzie took 3 years before he started for us...that was about 10 years ago. That was the norm giving these guys time to mature.

Anyone remember the good 'ol days when Pouha was a bust? Those were the days

He played vs. the Steelers in Pitt and completely shut down Harrison and Woodley. He was arguably an upgrade as Woody was declining.

The mistake the Jets made was not bringing in depth when Turner went down. Turner was HUGE in the run game. We didnt have those, #75 is checking in as an eligible receiver options like we did in 09 and 10. He was crucial to opening up lanes. At the time, I thought they'd be ok, but I was clearly wrong.

Dude, Turner wasn't the reason the running game went down. It's the fact they chose not to re sign Ben Hartsock IMO was the real kicker

Dude, Turner wasn't the reason the running game went down. It's the fact they chose not to re sign Ben Hartsock IMO was the real kicker

I'm sure it was a combo of both to some degree. But when you think about the lack of production from the OL/injuries...I'd say the back up versatile OLmen was probably a little more valuable. Who knows though...hard to tell.

I'm sure it was a combo of both to some degree. But when you think about the lack of production from the OL/injuries...I'd say the back up versatile OLmen was probably a little more valuable. Who knows though...hard to tell.

The entire team took a step back for some unknown reason

It could have been a locker thing from the beginning....I mean lets be honest, Brick sucked last year too

Hopefully they get it together....an 8-8 season isn't a disaster unless the following season continues the downward trend

The entire team took a step back for some unknown reason

It could have been a locker thing from the beginning....I mean lets be honest, Brick sucked last year too

Hopefully they get it together....an 8-8 season isn't a disaster unless the following season continues the downward trend

At 8-5, the season was far from a disaster. Its how they finished. On the flip side, the SB Champs were a 9-7 team that were 7-7 at one point coming off a loss to the 4 win Deadskins at home.

Like I said, he was alright - not lights out.

Certainly not the future.

Doesn't matter, the fact that Tanny feels compelled to make these bluffs in the press is retarded. The only time Tanny seems to give guys a vote of confidence is when he IS trying to replace them, it just boils down to whether or not he gets a deal done to get a replacement or not.

At 8-5, the season was far from a disaster. Its how they finished. On the flip side, the SB Champs were a 9-7 team that were 7-7 at one point coming off a loss to the 4 win Deadskins at home.

Maybe not a disaster but pretty close when you lose games to the Broncos and the Raiders and you can't beat the Pats at home.

The Jets should never have even been at that position.

I think Brick's down year was a function of Hunter's miserable performance. I'm sure the Jets had to constantly roll coverage over to Hunter's side. Brick was out there on an island more often than he's used to. They need to resolve the RT thing if they intend to have a competitive offense next season.

Archived