Steelers are doing it right

Integrity28

Dumping Hines Ward, Farrior and Aaron Smith... and having replacements queued up so they really won't miss a beat.

Gotta hand it to them, as a franchise they always seem to know how to have replacements on the roster already in off-seasons like this.

Like the complete opposite of the Jets Way of doing things... where we overpay ex-Steelers (and ex- players from other well-stocked franchises) for their "final" contract to come play for us after they are past their prime.

It's all good - I happen to know Faneca is a fan of mine. That is why I can say things like that.

What other Steeler did we take out of their prime? Holmes we got because he was a dopehead and a locker room cancer. Plaxico we got after he was with the Giants and served time for shooting himself. neither pass their prime, both stupid as hell though.

Dumping Hines Ward, Farrior and Aaron Smith... and having replacements queued up so they really won't miss a beat.

Gotta hand it to them, as a franchise they always seem to know how to have replacements on the roster already in off-seasons like this.

Like the complete opposite of the Jets Way of doing things... where we overpay ex-Steelers (and ex- players from other well-stocked franchises) for their "final" contract to come play for us after they are past their prime.

Obviously the Steelers have a plan...while the Jets fail to plan...don't worry tho...Tanny is relentless...just listen to him.

We got rid of aging players and replaced them with good players who were either young or in their prime, too:

Conner for Richardson

Slauson for Faneca

Wilkerson for Ellis

Pouha/K.Ellis for Jenkins

Wilson for... whoever the old Nickel was (?)

Cro for Sheppard

Obviously the Steelers have a plan...while the Jets fail to plan...don't worry tho...Tanny is relentless...just listen to him.

Plan worked pretty well in 09 and 10. Two years, one game short of Superbowl each year. Just sayin'. If you want to say Tanny doesn't have a plan, well, it's better than 25 other teams out there...

You know this pessimistic sad sack crap around here gets really tired. The Jets were 8-8 after two winning seasons, give it a rest. Yes it was disappointing, no one was exempt from it. But move on. The new season is here, stop dwelling on what you have no control over.

You wanna talk about the steelers then explain why they went 8-8 in '06 and 9-7 in 2009?

Had the Jets released players the like of Hines Ward and Aaron Smith there would be a complete meltdown by the fan base

The Jets got killed last year for getting rid of certain aging players...now the Steelers are being congratulated

Some pretty f#@ked up fans

Had the Jets released players the like of Hines Ward and Aaron Smith there would be a complete meltdown by the fan base

The Jets got killed last year for getting rid of certain aging players...now the Steelers are being congratulated

Some pretty f#@ked up fans

Crazy what a couple of Super Bowl rings does for a fanbase's trust.

Plan worked pretty well in 09 and 10. Two years, one game short of Superbowl each year. Just sayin'. If you want to say Tanny doesn't have a plan, well, it's better than 25 other teams out there...

and I'm just sayin Tanny doesn't plan...he hopes...the Steelers plan...model of successful franchise.

Compare the two teams...the replacements for Hines Ward and Aaron Smith were considered well before this year...Ward replaced by Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown in 09 and 10 NFL drafts. Smith replaced by Ziggy Hood and most likely Craig Heyword from 09 and 11 draft. Then they let them learn/compete and within a few years their successfully replaced. The Steelers have been doing it too long not to appreciate their philosophy.

Jets under Tanny...get rid of Penny to get Farve who momentarily retires...so Tanny draft Sanchez in the hopes he the Franchise. You mentioned Wilkerson for Ellis...really? another example where we get rid of the incumbent who is on last legs and hope the new draft pick can fill the void. Almost zero continuity. I could go on...but thought the Jets trends were transparent. I see is a GM who is constantly trying to fill a whole rather than a long term approach to player development and team unity.

Nice point on the two year run in 09 and 10. I'll give credit to Tanny for an excellent short term management approach plus superior coaching/motivation from Rex and his gang. Just rather see a longer term plan.

You know this pessimistic sad sack crap around here gets really tired. The Jets were 8-8 after two winning seasons, give it a rest. Yes it was disappointing, no one was exempt from it. But move on. The new season is here, stop dwelling on what you have no control over.

You wanna talk about the steelers then explain why they went 8-8 in '06 and 9-7 in 2009?

Not sure if this is directed at me or not...usually like your posts...all I can say...we all have different opinions on the state of our franchise...that's why we post here...I'm by no means down on the pieces that are in place...but I do notice a lack of strategic planning...tactically, Tanny has made some decent moves filling holes...just wish he would take a more strategic approach.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not...usually like your posts...all I can say...we all have different opinions on the state of our franchise...that's why we post here...I'm by no means down on the pieces that are in place...but I do notice a lack of strategic planning...tactically, Tanny has made some decent moves filling holes...just wish he would take a more strategic approach.

no i'm just ranting. its frustrating hearing fellow fans bitch about the team we love because of a disappointing season. I expect the rest of the football world to pile on us and the Jets but when the true fans start to say we suck when we were one game from the playoffs it gets disheartening.

I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's tough when you see everyone swinging to one side or the other

What other Steeler did we take out of their prime? Holmes we got because he was a dopehead and a locker room cancer. Plaxico we got after he was with the Giants and served time for shooting himself. neither pass their prime, both stupid as hell though.

Neil O'Donnell.

no i'm just ranting. its frustrating hearing fellow fans bitch about the team we love because of a disappointing season. I expect the rest of the football world to pile on us and the Jets but when the true fans start to say we suck when we were one game from the playoffs it gets disheartening.

I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's tough when you see everyone swinging to one side or the other

You're either <26 years old or you have an open prescription for lithium.

and I'm just sayin Tanny doesn't plan...he hopes...the Steelers plan...model of successful franchise.

Compare the two teams...the replacements for Hines Ward and Aaron Smith were considered well before this year...Ward replaced by Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown in 09 and 10 NFL drafts. Smith replaced by Ziggy Hood and most likely Craig Heyword from 09 and 11 draft. Then they let them learn/compete and within a few years their successfully replaced. The Steelers have been doing it too long not to appreciate their philosophy.

Jets under Tanny...get rid of Penny to get Farve who momentarily retires...so Tanny draft Sanchez in the hopes he the Franchise. You mentioned Wilkerson for Ellis...really? another example where we get rid of the incumbent who is on last legs and hope the new draft pick can fill the void. Almost zero continuity. I could go on...but thought the Jets trends were transparent. I see is a GM who is constantly trying to fill a whole rather than a long term approach to player development and team unity.

Nice point on the two year run in 09 and 10. I'll give credit to Tanny for an excellent short term management approach plus superior coaching/motivation from Rex and his gang. Just rather see a longer term plan.

This fan base isn't patient enough to plan long term. With the way things are around here, if a draft pick isn't a pro bowler by his second year, he's a scrub and people are screaming to get released. If the Jets' fan base was as good as the Steelers', this wouldn't be an issue.

This fan base isn't patient enough to plan long term. With the way things are around here, if a draft pick isn't a pro bowler by his second year, he's a scrub and people are screaming to get released. If the Jets' fan base was as good as the Steelers', this wouldn't be an issue.

+1. Yes, the fanbase that hasn't seen a championship in 42 years yet still posts on message boards in February about their ROLB position is "impatient."

Took a step back on offense and defense after both trade-offs, but whatever.

Are you serious? Faneca was toast, lost his legs

And Ellis, as we saw this year was DONE...Big Mo will be a 10 year starter for us...great pick...Mo also came out a year early, so 11 year starter

alot has to do with ownership too...The Rooneys have been in pace for awhile, had alot of early success, and can afford to be patient

We've had multiple owners

This fan base isn't patient enough to plan long term.

Neither is the management. The perception that this team was close (whether accurate or not) had them forcing moves that haven't exactly worked out. Aside from failing in the short term, they have not shown any semblance of a cohesive longer term plan.

Took a step back on offense and defense after both trade-offs, but whatever.

I thought it was just about having replacements? We have no idea if the Steelers will see a dropoff with Ziggy Hood. Hood started 14 games this year and I'm going to go ahead and say Wilkerson is better.

Archived