Tannenbaum expects Wayne Hunter back

RyanBe_Tweetin

12:59 PM, March 1, 2012 ι

By BRIAN COSTELLO

If you believe Mike Tannenbaum, Wayne Hunter will remain in the Jets starting lineup in 2012.

The team's general manager said Hunter is the starting right tackle in an interview on WFAN this morning. Hunter had a rough season in 2011 when he replaced Damien Woody.

“We expect Wayne back,” Tannenbaum said. “We expect him to be our starter. We need more consistent line play. There’s no question about that … we expect him to play better this year.”

Tannenbaum touched on a few topics in the interview. He said it’s “hard to say” if running back LaDainian Tomlinson will return to the team. Tannenbaum said they’ve talked but Tomlinson is unsure if he wants to play. Tomlinson has told friends if he does play in 2012 it won’t be with the Jets.

As for disgruntled linebacker Bart Scott, Tannnenbaum said Scott is still on the roster and they’ll let everyone know if that changes. Not exactly a strong endorsement.

“We’ll see what we can work out with Bart either being here or not,” he said. “We’re not in a bad position. He had some issue during the season that we’re trying to address, and we appreciate his passion."

Three years ago, the Jets pursued Scott just after the free agency period began at midnight. Tannenbaum said he does not anticipate the Jets chasing any big free agents the minute free agency begins this year on March 13.

"We’re really looking to try to keep our own initially and then kind of going from there," he said. "I don’t expect that. This league is filled with unexpected opportunities, and I do pride myself on (looking under) every rock, every day, but I don’t foresee that this year."

Poor Sanchez.

So...Tanny won't admit that Mark will be the opening day starter, but he'll put his stamp of approval on Hunter, rated 31 out of 32 starting RTs...and this after stating recently that Vlad Ducasse will be competing solely at the RT position this year.

Is it me, or does this reek of the Mangini-days of misdirection?

Fellas, be prepared for a huge draft day trade to select a RT.

ugh.

Tannenbaum is an Idiot and even the mention of Ducasse battling for the job makes this entire situation all the more laughable. This team is heading in the wrong direction and mark my words what ever is left of mark sanchez will be completely destroyed in the next few years if we dont fill some real holes on the offensive side of the ball

Hunter's been a valuable player here for a few years as a backup/rotation guy...There's plenty of reason to bring him back despite his bad year protecting an even worse QB. He and the rest of the OL would look alot better dealing with a good QB.

Hunter's been a valuable player here for a few years as a backup/rotation guy...There's plenty of reason to bring him back despite his bad year protecting an even worse QB. He and the rest of the OL would look alot better dealing with a good QB.

This. Mark Sanchez finally was asked to throw and the OL suffered. Go figure. He sucks balls. Ask him to hand off and he's fine. Ask him to read a defense and call for the proper protection at the LOS, and god help us all.

^^ Not for nothing but all I got out of that is that Von Miller really is an elite pass rushing talent, He probably did this to quite a few non-elite Ts...

Someone mentioned it the other day or week or something...The Jets took a slight hit on the OL and upped their pass catching talent because they expected gains from the QB position that they did not get. That could be for a number of reasons...my favorite is a lack of training camp...but I believe it to be true.

^^ Not for nothing but all I got out of that is that Von Miller really is an elite pass rushing talent, He probably did this to quite a few non-elite Ts...

I agree Von Miller is a beast

when I see that play I wonder why the ball isn't thrown. He's in the shot gun and takes a 3 step drop beyond that. 1 one-thousand 2 one-thousand 3 one thousand the ball should be gone. maybe he's throwing while being hit. but that was a quick read play and mark either didn't make the read or didn't like what he saw. He just kinda stood there. He wasn't even close to throwing or making a decision to throw. (the correct read would have been Keller btw)

And we all see Hunter getting shredded... and that's definitely his fault. But it's also Mark's fault for taking that long. shotgun 3 step drop type passes should be bang-bang plays. he should have been throwing by the 3rd second.

side note Miller hit him helmet to helmet it should have been a personal foul. if the refs were consistent.

I agree Von Miller is a beast

when I see that play I wonder why the ball isn't thrown. He's in the shot gun and takes a 3 step drop beyond that. 1 one-thousand 2 one-thousand 3 one thousand the ball should be gone. maybe he's throwing while being hit. but that was a quick read play and mark either didn't make the read or didn't like what he saw. He just kinda stood there. He wasn't even close to throwing or making a decision to throw. (the correct read would have been Keller btw)

And we all see Hunter getting shredded... and that's definitely his fault. But it's also Mark's fault for taking that long. shotgun 3 step drop type passes should be bang-bang plays. he should have been throwing by the 3rd second.

side note Miller hit him helmet to helmet it should have been a personal foul. if the refs were consistent.

I can't get to "3-one-thousand". Maybe I'd be counting a lot faster with Von Miller coming at my head, but that defeats the purpose, no?

After watching that play over-and-over:

Ferguson is the sh*t; he blocks his man and slides like a pro.

Mangold holds up the center; blocks the man who gets thrown his way.

Moore blocks two guys; he's really really good.

Slauson doesn't block anybody; but he looks good doing nothing.

Hunter...well.

Are the Jets even giving Sanchez a chance? I am just as disheartened about last season as all of you, and I agree at Sanchez is a major issue, but look at what he has to work with. We have extremely limited WR play, a GnP running scheme without the horses to pull it off, and Wayne Hunter as our RT...It really doesn't have to be this way, but from the looks of things we will be drafting in the top 10 again next year looking for a QB...SMH

Good grief

The ball is snapped 0.02 into the video, Sanchez gets hit at 0.05. The ball was probably in the air for a second. he had no time to get rid of that ball. Hunter looked like he fainted

Miller gets an insane jump. he's clearly the first person moving, exactly when Mangold snaps the ball. Maybe they had the snap count guessed.

but yeh 3 seconds. that's what ya get. I don't expect him to convert that 3rd and 10 but I do think he could have been throwing when Miller arrived. or at least look like he was going to throw. Sanchez wasn't even close to throwing.

Miller gets an insane jump. he's clearly the first person moving, exactly when Mangold snaps the ball. Maybe they had the snap count guessed.

but yeh 3 seconds. that's what ya get. I don't expect him to convert that 3rd and 10 but I do think he could have been throwing when Miller arrived. or at least look like he was going to throw. Sanchez wasn't even close to throwing.

I've seen plays where he does make that throw, quick & early, usually under a little duress... the ball bounces off Keller's facemask.

I call those his "facemask fastballs".

&

I've seen plays where he tries to soften the throw by adding some 'touch' before his slanting slot-guy turns around... those are picked off by linemen.

I call those "pick sixes". :winking0001:

So what's the deal? Is it Sanchez and his ball-placement/umph or is it the recievers/blocking?

Archived