is shockey an option at tight end?

ylekram

The Jets need to get themselves a solid #2 TE who can both block and catch. Nothing spectacular, but a guy who you can reasonably make a regular part of your offense without completely tipping your hand (or drawing a penalty) every time he steps on the field. It's not exactly the most difficult thing in the world to find, so I don't think you bring in a guy like Shockey to fill that role. I'm sure there's a number of mid-to-low level FAs, late round draft picks or possibly even UDFAs who can do just that.

The Jets need to get themselves a solid #2 TE who can both block and catch. Nothing spectacular, but a guy who you can reasonably make a regular part of your offense without completely tipping your hand (or drawing a penalty) every time he steps on the field. It's not exactly the most difficult thing in the world to find, so I don't think you bring in a guy like Shockey to fill that role. I'm sure there's a number of mid-to-low level FAs, late round draft picks or possibly even UDFAs who can do just that.

IMO the Jets have a pretty good #2 TE in Cumberland. Problem is he isn't a world class blocker either. guys that are very good receivers, and very good blockers are very rare, and usually very expensive. Stick an OT out there like they did with Vlad last year. And yes your right, it generally tips your hand.

Most of these blocking TE's can't catch, or run any way so what difference does it make?

IMO the Jets have a pretty good #2 TE in Cumberland. Problem is he isn't a world class blocker either. guys that are very good receivers, and very good blockers are very rare, and usually very expensive. Stick an OT out there like they did with Vlad last year. And yes your right, it generally tips your hand.

Most of these blocking TE's can't catch, or run any way so what difference does it make?

I hear you, but I don't think the Jets need anyone who is "very good" at either, nevermind both. Really, all they need is someone who is simply solid in both areas, so that they can come onto the field in either situation. Think of someone like a Chris Baker type, the guy was slow as crap and so was never going to be a big time receiving threat, but he could still run routes and catch the ball when needed, and while hardly an all-world blocker, he got the job done there as well. While the Jets haven't had a guy like that in a while, the truth is they're not particularly difficult to find. There's plenty of options like that out there that the Jets could bring in, without adding another loud-mouthed, douchebag, locker room problem type to the fold.

Archived