Why we need to continue investing heavily in the defense

Jetsfan80

If we can be in the top 5 and limit ppg at below 20, we will have a chance to win the division. We also need at the same time have a dominant running game.....

Therein lies a problem. Without an elite back how are we supposed to get to that point? We can have a capable running game, maybe even one that ranks at or near the top of the league like we did in 2009 & 2010. But we're not going to get to dominance with RBBC, nor should we try. Let teams like the Titans or Texans worry about overpaying for a RB. That's not part of our philosophy.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Therein lies a problem. Without an elite back how are we supposed to get to that point? We can have a capable running game, maybe even one that ranks at or near the top of the league like we did in 2009 & 2010. But we're not going to get to dominance with RBBC, nor should we try. Let teams like the Titans or Texans worry about overpaying for a RB. That's not part of our philosophy.

Would you say, RBBC averaging 150 a game would be enough?...I think so...No?

Would you say, RBBC averaging 150 a game would be enough?...I think so...No?

Well, since Rex has already made it clear he wants to run it 40 times a game, that's about a 3.8 ypc average as a team. Based on last year's numbers, that would put us right where we were last season.....29th in the league.

So no.

Umm.....Braylon is still available. He caught 4 balls last year.

Sorry, I didn't think I'd have to actually clarify what's already been said many times over. But yeah, Braylon's available....now.

If you're going to twist history to suit your misinformed argument, I won't keep debating with you. Last year, we let Braylon walk. No advanced knowledge of a physical condition. Just "thanks for your service, your contract is up." The Jets have no value of team chemistry whatsoever. It's just dollars and cents with them. You want to argue how much better Plax made the red zone efficiency rating? Ok, then tell me how many deep balls mark threw last year. And Santonio had under 700 yards.

The following is just stupid:

"Because it was the right call given our options.

Burress: 45 catches, 612 yards, 8 TD's.

Edwards: 15 catches, 181 yards, 0 TD's."

Sorry, I didn't think I'd have to actually clarify what's already been said many times over. But yeah, Braylon's available....now.

If you're going to twist history to suit your misinformed argument, I won't keep debating with you. Last year, we let Braylon walk. No advanced knowledge of a physical condition. Just "thanks for your service, your contract is up." The Jets have no value of team chemistry whatsoever. It's just dollars and cents with them. You want to argue how much better Plax made the red zone efficiency rating? Ok, then tell me how many deep balls mark threw last year. And Santonio had under 700 yards.

The following is just stupid:

"Because it was the right call given our options.

Burress: 45 catches, 612 yards, 8 TD's.

Edwards: 15 catches, 181 yards, 0 TD's."

Braylon Edwards got a DUI while he was here and his buddies got into a barfight this past offseason while he was trying to get big money. He settled on a 1-year deal. Yet he was supposed to be the guy to fix our lockerroom? Jesus. The way this board overrates Braylon's value, both as a teammate and as a player, is unreal.

Braylon Edwards got a DUI while he was here and his buddies got into a barfight this past offseason while he was trying to get big money. He settled on a 1-year deal. Yet he was supposed to be the guy to fix our lockerroom? Jesus. The way this board overrates Braylon's value, both as a teammate and as a player, is unreal.

His one year deal came late in the offseason after a decent year for him and it gave him what...a quarter of the money a KNOWN TO BE INJURED Landry got? How are these guys not piecing something together?

LOL! Please quote where I suggested that Braylon was the moral authority and bandaid for the lockerroom?

All I said was that he had good chemistry with Mark, the team and him seemed to get along fine, and he wanted to be a Jet. You have a real talent for twisting the storyline.

Big effing deal if he got a DUI??!! Have you read Santonio's twitter? Just for example? These guys arent saints. Wow.

All I said was that he had good chemistry with Mark, the team and him seemed to get along fine, and he wanted to be a Jet. You have a real talent for twisting the storyline.

Well I just don't see any other reason why people would say so adamantly that he should still be a Jet. He clearly has some issues on and off the field that drove down his value leaguewide, his replacement did pretty well despite awful QB play, not to mention Braylon is almost 30 and wanted bigtime money ($8-$10 million/yr) compared to the relative pennies we paid Burress ($3 million/1 year)......so what is it?

Well I just don't see any other reason why people would say so adamantly that he should still be a Jet. He clearly has some issues on and off the field that drove down his value leaguewide, his replacement did pretty well despite awful QB play, not to mention Braylon is almost 30 and wanted bigtime money ($8-$10 million/yr) compared to the relative pennies we paid Burress ($3 million/1 year)......so what is it?

It's part of a bigger argument. It's letting Damien Woody walk. It's letting Thomas Jones and T-Rich go. It's losing Rob Turner for Caleb Schlauderaff. It's Lowery for a 6th. It's dumping Braylon and taking Plax. Braylon got $1M base in SF. It's LOW BALLING your core/depth and making the splashy move.

"Trader Mike" is shooting himself in the foot. Sometimes the best trade is to handcuff your arms under your a$$ and let the existing situation play out. Case study: NY Giants, 2 Superbowls, 4 years. Luck had a little something to do with it, but it always does. Point is they retained the base, built up their bread and butter (defense) and they did NOT overpay Osi may I add. I realize he's not Revis but it's a bigger point.

I wholly agree in reinforcing the D, but I don't think we're having this discussion at nearly the level of importance if we just would've RETAINED THE TALENT WE ALREADY HAD. I'm not a Braylon lover as much as I am pissed off that we have to go pick up talent that we already had.

It's part of a bigger argument. It's letting Damien Woody walk. It's letting Thomas Jones and T-Rich go. It's losing Rob Turner for Caleb Schlauderaff. It's Lowery for a 6th. It's dumping Braylon and taking Plax. Braylon got $1M base in SF. It's LOW BALLING your core/depth and making the splashy move.

"Trader Mike" is shooting himself in the foot. Sometimes the best trade is to handcuff your arms under your a$$ and let the existing situation play out. Case study: NY Giants, 2 Superbowls, 4 years. Luck had a little something to do with it, but it always does. Point is they retained the base, built up their bread and butter (defense) and they did NOT overpay Osi may I add. I realize he's not Revis but it's a bigger point.

I wholly agree in reinforcing the D, but I don't think we're having this discussion at nearly the level of importance if we just would've RETAINED THE TALENT WE ALREADY HAD. I'm not a Braylon lover as much as I am pissed off that we have to go pick up talent that we already had.

1. Damien Woody retired. Faneca (the guy you meant), meanwhile, sucked in Arizona. He was one of the worst guards in the NFL at pass-blocking his last year here.

2. LaDanian Tomlinson >>>>>>>> Thomas Jones.

3. Richardson retired.

4. Rob Turner? The injured backup lineman? Jesus.

5. LOWERY????? Wtf.

6. I've already explained my thoughts on Burress/Braylon. Even if Braylon were to have produced for us in 2012 like he did in ' 11, you'd seriously be willing to pony up $8-$10 million a year for that? At age 30? Please.

7. None of the above examples were core players. There are plenty of ways to make fun of Tannenbaum and the Jets, but you're doing it wrong.

8. Finally, a good point. We are not the Giants. They are better. WOW I AGREE!!!!!!ONE!!!!!1111!!!!

9. What talent?

The easiest way to criticize the Jets is not by complaining about who we've lost. Most of those guys have done next to nothing and were trending downwards. That's one area where Tannenbaum actually deserves praise; he let's these JAG's go a year early rather than a year late. The Jets of old gave Curtis Martin a long-term extension well-past his prime just because of his legacy rather than his productivity. Ditto with Wayne Chrebet. Tannenbaum put a stop to this policy, and rightly so.

Where Tannenbaum DOES deserve criticism is his inability to pick out his own impact players through the draft, and instead goes after bargain-priced free agents/trades to provide band-aids and then overpays too many of those guys through extensions. Overpaying players has been a real problem for Tannenbaum at every turn. Which is surprising for a supposed cap guru.

1. Damien Woody retired. Faneca (the guy you meant), meanwhile, sucked in Arizona. He was one of the worst guards in the NFL at pass-blocking his last year here.

2. LaDanian Tomlinson >>>>>>>> Thomas Jones.

3. Richardson retired.

4. Rob Turner? The injured backup lineman? Jesus.

5. LOWERY????? Wtf.

6. I've already explained my thoughts on Burress/Braylon. Even if Braylon were to have produced for us in 2012 like he did in ' 11, you'd seriously be willing to pony up $8-$10 million a year for that? At age 30? Please.

7. None of the above examples were core players. There are plenty of ways to make fun of Tannenbaum and the Jets, but you're doing it wrong.

8. Finally, a good point. We are not the Giants. They are better. WOW I AGREE!!!!!!ONE!!!!!1111!!!!

9. What talent?

The easiest way to criticize the Jets is not by complaining about who we've lost. Most of those guys have done next to nothing and were trending downwards. That's one area where Tannenbaum actually deserves praise; he let's these JAG's go a year early rather than a year late. The Jets of old gave Curtis Martin a long-term extension well-past his prime just because of his legacy rather than his productivity. Ditto with Wayne Chrebet. Tannenbaum put a stop to this policy, and rightly so.

Where Tannenbaum DOES deserve criticism is his inability to pick out his own impact players through the draft, and instead goes after bargain-priced free agents/trades to provide band-aids and then overpays too many of those guys through extensions. Overpaying players has been a real problem for Tannenbaum at every turn. Which is surprising for a supposed cap guru.

Turner broke his ankle. The guy could play multiple positions on the line and was a backup. Goes towards my depth argument.

Clarified Woody - i'm banging this out at work. Egg on my face now after criticising your post earlier

Agreed on overpaying players. How about getting cornholed by Team Revis? Jonathan Joseph was on the market at that time.

Lowery was quick and would've been better at safety than Brodney Pool. Smarter and faster.

LT left the team and immediately had things to say. I haven't heard a word out of TJ. Tells me a lot about what he probably brought to the unit but now we have some of that in Tebow but in a different way. Do you remember when TJ got to KC and punched out Jonathan Baldwin?

TRich retired because we drafted his replacement John Connor, it's not like TRich was making alot of money, he's blocked for first ballot hall of famers and is a great voice in the lockerroom.

But yeah, now we're really cooking both morally and in the win column so I guess all these great moves are paying off, right?

Gato, that hurts :(

But yeah, now we're really cooking both morally and in the win column so I guess all these great moves are paying off, right?

We haven't had a losing season under Rex/Tannenbaum despite awful QB play. So yeah, I'd say we're doing OK. I can think of better HC/GM combos in the league but the moves we've made haven't exactly crippled the franchise.

Meanwhile, Thomas Jones did WONDERS for the Chiefs. Unbelievably important piece to his new franchise.

We haven't had a losing season under Rex/Tannenbaum despite awful QB play. So yeah, I'd say we're doing OK. I can think of better HC/GM combos in the league but the moves we've made haven't exactly crippled the franchise.

Meanwhile, Thomas Jones did WONDERS for the Chiefs. Unbelievably important piece to his new franchise.

TJ or Shonn Greene? Which would you pick?

I think the QB play gets better when we get a right tackle and re-establish a running game. Mark does some of his best work on the roll and with the playaction. You can't disagree with me there, can you?

TJ or Shonn Greene? Which would you pick?

I think the QB play gets better when we get a right tackle and re-establish a running game. Mark does some of his best work on the roll and with the playaction. You can't disagree with me there, can you?

Thomas Jones has been done for 2+ years. This is a ridiculously dumb question.

And we've already re-committed to the running game. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Rex/Sparano intend to run the ball about 40 times a game. I doubt we try to replace Wayne Hunter.

Only chance at doing that was getting Peyton Manning. Instead we extended Sanchez and f***ed our chances at improving the passing offense for the next 2-3 years. So now we return to running the ball under new OC Sparano.

Improve the defense first and foremost. Its our only chance.

with all due respect, I say poppycock to the manning thing. he was never coming here, and the other 31 teams will actually play and try to win this year

they seem to be married to hunter/vlad, so I'm hoping for a WR early in the draft

sparano likes to run it, run it, run it, take a deep shot. the jets will bring in a burner, watch.

the biggest predictor of SB success is passer rating differential. it's all about the passing game. since the passing defense is already pretty good, the only logical thing to do is go all out on passing O, and the last chance to do it is the draft

I fear the jets are going to try a QB rotation this year, and they will try to have a traditional passing game with sanchez. even tanny and woody have to look at the WR corp and get stomach cramps

Thomas Jones has been done for 2+ years. This is a ridiculously dumb question.

And we've already re-committed to the running game. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Rex/Sparano intend to run the ball about 40 times a game. I doubt we try to replace Wayne Hunter.

Wayne Hunter. 31 years old, $15M/ 4 years. Career back up and almost got Mark killed last year.

We better run. A lot.

Is the D that's was 10 yards away from Wes Welker, when he dropped the ball. On what would have been the Pats game winning drive?

They held the Patriots to 17 points. They also produced 2 points for the offense by forcing Brady into a safety on the first possession. In addition they held Brady to 276 yards on 41 attempts, picked him off, and Justin Tuck got a couple of sacks to boot.

Pretty sure that's the part he's talking about.

Is the D that's was 10 yards away from Wes Welker, when he dropped the ball. On what would have been the Pats game winning drive?

No, it was the D's pass rush that was in Brady's face when he threw the pass over Welker's head... a pass he throws perfect if the typically dominant Pats O-line isn't being pwned all game by the Giants front 7.

They held the Patriots to 17 points. They also produced 2 points for the offense by forcing Brady into a safety on the first possession. In addition they held Brady to 276 yards on 41 attempts, picked him off, and Justin Tuck got a couple of sacks to boot.

Pretty sure that's the part he's talking about.

.... and this.

Archived