Confessions Of A Tebow Hater

JetNation

Post image for Confessions Of A Tebow Hater

I am by nature an extremely passionate sports fan.  The kind of fan who often can’t distinguish the difference between an NFL football game and one of my kid’s high school sporting events, because I see it all as competition.  Typically, I will hate my rival teams and their stars with as much vigor as I love the teams I support.  Based on that criterion, I really had no reason to hate Tim Tebow.  As a Big Ten football guy, Florida and their quarterback should have never been an issue.  But of all the people associated with college sports that I have despised over the years, Lou Holtz, Danny Ainge, Steve Spurrier, just to name a few, Tim Tebow rose above them all.  I can’t even tell you why, he just did.  While I still dislike everyone on that short list, Tebow is beginning to grow on me.

I think it started with his appearance on Jimmy Fallon.  It was then I realized that while his spirituality was very important to him, he also had the ability to laugh at himself.  That maybe he didn’t take himself too seriously after all.  During his press conference he was answering questions as if he were Nuke Laloosh, mentored by Crash Davis, right out of Bull Durham.  But he was hit with some sticky questions. The Tweet by Antonio Cromartie saying the Jets did not need Tebow, the reports that Mark Sanchez was not taking the move all that well, and he answered them all with class, style, and humor.  He smiled, he was humble, gracious, and damn it, he was downright lovable.  It was so easy before, because I hated him. I didn’t want the Jets to sign him and when they did, like many Jets fans, I was out of mind with anger and confusion.   Now I can’t help but finding myself looking forward to the season and rooting for him to do great things for us.

The reality of the football situation has not changed.  I still don’t think he is or will ever develop into a starting quarterback in the NFL.  I don’t particularly like him as a back-up either.  He is still going to create a huge media blitz which will inevitably be a distraction in camp. And while he may make Sanchez better, he certainly won’t make life easy for him.  The irony is I truly believe “the Tebow brand” believes all that too and that’s why he will be wearing green and white this year.  Tim Tebow is no dummy.  He knows opportunity is fleeting and he is going to milk this ride for all its worth.  Why labor in Jacksonville when you can collect big bucks on Madison Avenue?  Community members of New York and New Jersey, under privileged children, people with challenges of any kind are going to benefit enormously from the arrival of Tim Tebow.  Because while he will benefit financially from his time in New York, it is my guess that he will be about as philanthropic as any athlete ever, and that can’t be a bad thing for the area or the image of the New York Jets.

While I like to think of myself as a positive person, I am anything but when I take on the persona of a New York Jets fan.  If you are reading this, then you may be the kind of fan who just waits for things to go badly, as most Jets fans do.  Past, present, and probably also in the future; we as Jets fans will have plenty to bang our heads against a wall about.  By comparison, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to our beloved team.  The arrival of a highly spiritual, super competitive, hardworking, and extremely generous football player has to garner some positive results.  So I for one am choosing to be excited about his infiltration of our JetNation.com family.  There has been enough negativity swirling around this franchise and I for one am ready to embrace some positive vibes.  It appears Tebow is already having an influence on me.

di
di

sPBVb22YiH8

View the full article

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a breath of fresh air to have a quality person on our team, in light of all the ****en assholes that are on our team.

I for one am all in with Tebow, hopefully we can win the division, playoffs and SB soon.....

I hope he brings good things, but I don't think there's any doubt that the media circus may become a distraction. Nervously optimistic.

Maybe, but I do believe we are in pretty good shape....we need to add to our D...once that is done we will be ok.

My only confessions are between my wife and I and it usuallyinvolves drinking too much or losing money on a bet, other than that this is my first public confession. I stated on my facebok when I shared this that the article was written with a sense of when handed lemons make a damn strong lemon drop martini and hope for the best. I just want to win so bad it's almost consumes me. I figure a positive attitude makes my compulsive Jet behavior more livable.

My only confessions are between my wife and I and it usuallyinvolves drinking too much or losing money on a bet, other than that this is my first public confession. I stated on my facebok when I shared this that the article was written with a sense of when handed lemons make a damn strong lemon drop martini and hope for the best. I just want to win so bad it's almost consumes me. I figure a positive attitude makes my compulsive Jet behavior more livable.

LOL, yes all other confessions are welcome. The non-football ones should go in the Lounge! :)

The distractions were brought on my the media and the fans in Denver, NOT Tebow. When the Front Office in Denver said at the beginning of last season that Orton was their starter, the fans went nuts. The previous year Tebow had a better record than Orton and not only that the fans were actually excited to have Tebow be the starter so see if they could make the playoffs. The "pros" picked Denver to go 4-12 last season which they did start 1-4 and the fans were about to burn down Mile High Stadium so with all the heat that the front office and Fox were getting they RELUCTANTLY announced Tebow as the starter. They finally catered the offense around Tebow's strengths. See in Denver it was ONE QB and nothing else mattered, they didn't even bother to try what Ryan and the Jets plan will do this fall in that have a package just for Tebow that will really have nothing to do with Sanchez. It's not rocket science. They have two different skill sets. Yes Tebow really needs to get better at throwing the football in which he will work non-stop to improve on. He didn't get to go through the spring to really work on it because of the lockout. The situation Tebow had in Denver and the one he will have in NY is going to be night and day. I really like Sanchez and in my world he should stay the starter and let Tebow do his thing. What Sanchez needs to do is bring down the int's...18 is way to much. I do believe that this season he will do that. I was a Broncos fan before Tebow even got there. I have never been a Jets fan until you guys play the Patriots, then I would root for you guys, also I love to see Sanchez do very well because I hate Pete Carroll so much, he's the debil. I am not on the Jets bandwagon yet but I will follow you guys this year just to see how this works, I think it will work just fine. So I guess you could say, I really hate Pete Carroll first and foremest, I am a Sanchez fan second, Tebow third (hopes this works) and a Jets fan after the Panthers and Broncos. This should be a fun season.

So, if you go to church, you are an awesome person? I don't know. I went to Catholic School for 10 years, was an Altar boy for 4 and went to church (kind of somewhat regularly) up until I was around 30 years old. Then I woke up. Look, I won't even go into my views on the church and religion and government throughout history. If you want I mention it in my blog. But being a practicing Christian in NO WAY makes you spiritually superior than anyone. In fact, there are schools of thought (and studies to back it) that link religion to LOWER intelligence. That's just fact. Whatever you believe is fine and it has no business in a sports discussion. For that reason, it is also a school of thought that religion does NOT bode well in a locker room and is a distraction. (see Jeff Van Gundy)

Tim Tebow is a 22 year old kid who goes to church. He may or may not be exploiting it to gain support and $ where he otherwise wouldn't, but what is for sure is that he is NOT a spiritual leader. He is no better than anyone else on the team for going to church. That does not mean crap on the football field or in the locker room and may very well be divisive.

If this WERE a full on discussion about religion, I would venture to say (and would be backed up by some) that there is a good chance Tebow has a totally different view when he matures...like myself and many others. And that may be sooner than later based on how the "church" treats him during and at the end of this. Furthermore, I am willing to bet that Tim Tebow has never once explored any other "religion." I am willing to bet that he has no idea the origins of other religions, and there is a good chance that there are a great many things he doesn't know about his own religion that may or may not shock him. That's not his fault. He's a 22 year old football player!!

Again, this isn't a knock on Christianity, although I have plenty, and if I wanted to play that role I would even say that it's wrong to push such indoctrination on anyone (I barf when I hear Kurt Warner talk about using his stardom "strategically" to spread the word). I'm not even gonna bring out the fact that if a devout Muslim were on a team nobody would say crap about him bringing the locker room together, even though they are basically identical religions. Because that is exactly what makes sports so great, which is why you could say he is tainting the sport with this.

lmao I'm sorry I have to laugh. What makes everyone so sure that he will be a "great philanthropist"?? Because he goes to church and mentions Christ and kneels? I can't wait a couple years when there are no more big contracts for Tim.....but everyone will still have their hands out....shoving a collection basket in his face. Wait until he tries to explain to his "fans" that he isn't really making THAT much and he does have to think about his future. It's sad actually.

So, if you go to church, you are an awesome person? I don't know. I went to Catholic School for 10 years, was an Altar boy for 4 and went to church (kind of somewhat regularly) up until I was around 30 years old. Then I woke up. Look, I won't even go into my views on the church and religion and government throughout history. If you want I mention it in my blog. But being a practicing Christian in NO WAY makes you spiritually superior than anyone. In fact, there are schools of thought (and studies to back it) that link religion to LOWER intelligence. That's just fact. Whatever you believe is fine and it has no business in a sports discussion. For that reason, it is also a school of thought that religion does NOT bode well in a locker room and is a distraction. (see Jeff Van Gundy)

Tim Tebow is a 22 year old kid who goes to church. He may or may not be exploiting it to gain support and $ where he otherwise wouldn't, but what is for sure is that he is NOT a spiritual leader. He is no better than anyone else on the team for going to church. That does not mean crap on the football field or in the locker room and may very well be divisive.

If this WERE a full on discussion about religion, I would venture to say (and would be backed up by some) that there is a good chance Tebow has a totally different view when he matures...like myself and many others. And that may be sooner than later based on how the "church" treats him during and at the end of this. Furthermore, I am willing to bet that Tim Tebow has never once explored any other "religion." I am willing to bet that he has no idea the origins of other religions, and there is a good chance that there are a great many things he doesn't know about his own religion that may or may not shock him. That's not his fault. He's a 22 year old football player!!

Again, this isn't a knock on Christianity, although I have plenty, and if I wanted to play that role I would even say that it's wrong to push such indoctrination on anyone (I barf when I hear Kurt Warner talk about using his stardom "strategically" to spread the word). I'm not even gonna bring out the fact that if a devout Muslim were on a team nobody would say crap about him bringing the locker room together, even though they are basically identical religions. Because that is exactly what makes sports so great, which is why you could say he is tainting the sport with this.

lmao I'm sorry I have to laugh. What makes everyone so sure that he will be a "great philanthropist"?? Because he goes to church and mentions Christ and kneels? I can't wait a couple years when there are no more big contracts for Tim.....but everyone will still have their hands out....shoving a collection basket in his face. Wait until he tries to explain to his "fans" that he isn't really making THAT much and he does have to think about his future. It's sad actually.

I guess you can't write a piece in Tebow and have it not go either pro or anti religion, but other than mentioning his spirituality I never made any connection to that spirituality and the positive traits he has exhibited in his young life. You chose to make that correlation. When you consider the money he makes compared to other professional athletes and more importantly that he runs a foundation with his own efforts not in name itself, I felt pretty confident in mentioning many in the surrounding communities will benefit from his moving to the New York/New Jersey area. Beyond that I didn't want to comment specifically or in detail on his beliefs and I certainly don't wish to comment or pretend to even understand yours, simply wanted to point out as the writer that you created a connection the writer didn't intend.

Lets try not to drag religion into these forums,some moron said Islam&Christianity are basically the same religion.Really? Don't tell that to the "muslim world" since the practise of Christianity is out-lawed with a possible death sentence. How many Churches in SaudiArabia? This is the kind of blatant stupidity I was afraid of when Tebow came here.Lets all just see how this plays out.

Lets try not to drag religion into these forums,some moron said Islam&Christianity are basically the same religion.Really? Don't tell that to the "muslim world" since the practise of Christianity is out-lawed with a possible death sentence. How many Churches in SaudiArabia? This is the kind of blatant stupidity I was afraid of when Tebow came here.Lets all just see how this plays out.

Infidel. Just sayin'.

Don't let it consume you too much.....sometimes being a Jets fan means riding the wave so high that you know your so great and then it only leads to your heart being ripped out of your chest still beating while it is crushed right in front of you.

Too funny dude....Islam and Christanity are the same....you've got to love the intelligence level of some people....As for Tebow, I am all in. I think we will be fine......and I also hope Sanchez improves to a point where Tebow doesnt see the field and if that happens we are in for some ride. In either case I see playoffs coming.....

He knows opportunity is fleeting and he is going to milk this ride for all its worth. Why labor in Jacksonville when you can collect big bucks on Madison Avenue?

I think this statement is unfair. Tebow was a huge media success outside of New York and Jacksonville is his hometown. I really think he came here for the challenge and because he saw more opportunity with this coaching staff. All the stories I read said that Tebow was a small town Jacksonville guy that would run from New York and head south. He didn't and should be commended for not taking the easy way out. I am a former hater, too.

I certainly did not mean that to be a shot, in fact just the opposite. I will admit it was conjecture, and yes I think his relationship with Sparano was a factor. I agree, his willingness to come here and play shows a huge amount of balls and I totally respect that. But it's still New York and if I was exp. fame I tell you I would not spend those 15 minutes in Jacksonville. And for the record I mentoned in that same thought that he would be very generous to help those in need within the community he is now a part of, the theme of that entire thought was meant to be positive. But thanks it helps when I understand how things are being interpreted, help me focus on being more clear in the future.

They are almost exactly the same, dude. They are both spin offs of Judaism. It was the Ottoman Empire's answer to thye Holy Roman/Bystantine empire...a few centuries after Constantine declared Christianity to be the ruling party. They share identical scriptures, save the obvious differences needed. This is not a reliious discussion, but please keep the "moron" label for someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. Telling me that the ruling family out lawed a practice is completely irrelevant, man. So, yeah, I have no interest in furthering the discussion, but if you wanna test my blatant stupidity we can.......you may learn something.

Too funny dude....Islam and Christanity are the same....you've got to love the intelligence level of some people....As for Tebow, I am all in. I think we will be fine......and I also hope Sanchez improves to a point where Tebow doesnt see the field and if that happens we are in for some ride. In either case I see playoffs coming.....

Oh boy. I am afraid I may have to hold a mini-class on the history of the Judeo-Christian religions. What the hell, it'll do us good. lol Do you have any idea what the Koran is?? lol smh

Oh boy. I am afraid I may have to hold a mini-class on the history of the Judeo-Christian religions. What the hell, it'll do us good. lol Do you have any idea what the Koran is?? lol smh

Dude, stop already..the Koran and the New Testatment are the same? What planet are you on dude?

And Christianity is not the Old Testatment...and if you want to discuss history I may be able to teach you somethings.

I guess you can't write a piece in Tebow and have it not go either pro or anti religion, but other than mentioning his spirituality I never made any connection to that spirituality and the positive traits he has exhibited in his young life. You chose to make that correlation. When you consider the money he makes compared to other professional athletes and more importantly that he runs a foundation with his own efforts not in name itself, I felt pretty confident in mentioning many in the surrounding communities will benefit from his moving to the New York/New Jersey area. Beyond that I didn't want to comment specifically or in detail on his beliefs and I certainly don't wish to comment or pretend to even understand yours, simply wanted to point out as the writer that you created a connection the writer didn't intend.

I would agree totally with this, but then u had to slip in the "pretend to even understand." I'm sure if you read it again, without the defensiveness, you'll see that it's pretty clear. I have a problem with "quoting" in my replies sometimes (google translate pops up? idk) Anyway, I could make the case for responding to where you said that "The arrival of a highly spiritual, super competitive, hardworking, and extremely generous football player has to garner some positive results." As, again, it implies that him going to church and practicing Catholicism (or whatever denomination he is) makes him "highly spiritual." In the post that you won't pretend to understand, I give the example of myself, a long time Catholic and former Altar boy, saying that I believe I became more spiritual when I dropped it.

HOWEVER, the post was actually more of a response to what seems to be the collective opinion all over going back to last year AND it was more directly initiated in this thread by the post which claimed: "Its a breath of fresh air to have a quality person on our team, in light of all the ****in assholes (non Catholics?) that are on our team. "

I hope that clears things up for you, but if not I am always here to further explain.

I think this statement is unfair. Tebow was a huge media success outside of New York and Jacksonville is his hometown. I really think he came here for the challenge and because he saw more opportunity with this coaching staff. All the stories I read said that Tebow was a small town Jacksonville guy that would run from New York and head south. He didn't and should be commended for not taking the easy way out. I am a former hater, too.

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 17 posts

Posted Today, 10:30 AM

I certainly did not mean that to be a shot, in fact just the opposite. I will admit it was conjecture, and yes I think his relationship with Sparano was a factor. I agree, his willingness to come here and play shows a huge amount of balls and I totally respect that. But it's still New York and if I was exp. fame I tell you I would not spend those 15 minutes in Jacksonville. And for the record I mentoned in that same thought that he would be very generous to help those in need within the community he is now a part of, the theme of that entire thought was meant to be positive. But thanks it helps when I understand how things are being interpreted, help me focus on being more clear in the future.

Dude, stop already..the Koran and the New Testatment are the same? What planet are you on dude?

Oh it went from Islam - Christianity to Koran - New testament? lmao Try again to read what I said. Never that.

Muhammed started Islam, basing it on the story of Abraham's sons, Isaac and Ishmael, which I'm sure you are familiar with. They had a discrepancy as to who was in fact going to be the father of the chosen people. Jews say Isaac. Muslims say Ishmael. Same story told with different spins.

This whole thing is really irrelevant, although I really could walk you through both religions and you would see exactly what I mean. Unless of course, you'd like to share ur knowledge of the Koran and tell me why they are so drastically different that I must be from another planet. lmao But if you are using modern day middle eastern laws and way of life to illustrate ur point, then ur making mine. These two religions are viewed on the main stage as being far more different than they are at their core. AT their core, they are indeed nearly identical. That's just a fact. BUT as usual something small gets taken out of context and blown up. The point was that IF this was a devout muslim, the same endearing qualities would NOT be given to him. Period.

And Christianity is not the Old Testatment...and if you want to discuss history I may be able to teach you somethings.

I'm waiting. If you really want to get to the point, show me why the beliefs and values held by a devout Christian are different and better (as was my point) than a devout Muslim. Just a tip: Try not to fall into the trap of using the political agenda held by the so called "terrorists" as devout Muslim values. I'll be here. I love learning new things.

I with agree totally with this, but then u had to slip in the "pretend to even understand." I'm sure if you read it again, without the defensiveness, you'll see that it's pretty clear. I have a problem with "quoting" in my replies sometimes (google translate pops up? idk) So, while I could even make the case for responding to where you said that "The arrival of a highly spiritual, super competitive, hardworking, and extremely generous football player has to garner some positive results." As, again, it implies that him going to church and practicing Catholicism (or whatever denomination he is) makes him "highly spiritual" In the post that you won't pretend to understand, I give the example of myself, a long time Catholic and former Altar boy, saying that I believe I became more spiritual when I dropped it.

HOWEVER, the post was more of a response to what seems to be the collective opinion all over going back to last year AND it was more directly initiated in this thread by the post which claimed: "Its a breath of fresh air to have a quality person on our team, in light of all the ****in assholes (non Catholics?) that are on our team. "

I hope that clears things up for you, but if not I am always here to further explain.

I agree in the collective as far as the how many perceive Tebow and religion, it's frankly the only reason the article got so much attention. I was not being defensive, I appreciate feed back, I usually thank people for it because it malkes me a better writer. So thank you for taking the time. However, saying you became "more spiritual" was an interesting choice of words, I chose the same word very carefully. It seems like the most secular way to refer to religion, which I know sounds like an oxy moron. Spirtual for me, or at least how I used it in the article is more of a state of mind. Could represent any religion, a passion of any kind, anything that one see's as more important then themselves. I could completely understand how somone could be more spirtual with a lack of an organized religion. Also I think it's a little defensive to assume when somone thinks that a religious person is mora itl means they think atheists are not. Thats an A=B and B=C but A does not necassarily equal C equation. For the record I was always pretty clear on your point.

Oh it went from Islam - Christianity to Koran - New testament? lmao Try again to read what I said. Never that.

Muhammed started Islam, basing it on the story of Abraham's sons, Isaac and Ishmael, which I'm sure you are familiar with. They had a discrepancy as to who was in fact going to be the father of the chosen people. Jews say Isaac. Muslims say Ishmael. Same story told with different spins.

This whole thing is really irrelevant, although I really could walk you through both religions and you would see exactly what I mean. Unless of course, you'd like to share ur knowledge of the Koran and tell me why they are so drastically different that I must be from another planet. lmao But if you are using modern day middle eastern laws and way of life to illustrate ur point, then ur making mine. These two religions are viewed on the main stage as being far more different than they are at their core. AT their core, they are indeed nearly identical. That's just a fact. BUT as usual something small gets taken out of context and blown up. The point was that IF this was a devout muslim, the same endearing qualities would NOT be given to him. Period.

Dude it's irrelevant now because you don't have a ****en clue about what your talking about.

I'm waiting. If you really want to get to the point, show me why the beliefs and values held by a devout Muslim are different and better (as was my point) than a devout Christian. Just a tip: Try not to fall into the trap of using the political agenda held by the so called "terrorists" as devout Muslim values. I'll be here. I love learning new things.

Better yet why don't you enlighten me? I don't want to hear BS spin or trying to re-write history....facts are facts. You are going off on a tangent dude.....Just go back and read what your writing.....stick to your belief system (if any) and I will stick to mine.

Forgive me mods, I cant help myself. I have a problem.

But for starters:

Same prophets -- Adam, Noah, Abraham, Lot, Job, Aaron, Moses, Solomon, Jacob, Jonah, John, David.. etc.

Same stories- The Creation story, the account of the flood, Solomon-Sheeba story, Jonah-whale story, Jacob-sold, David-Golliath, Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Moses-10 plague of Egypt, ...and many other

Same commandments-- (first one is from the famous Ten Commandments found in Exodus. Second from the Koran and Islamic texts)

-Thou shall not take any God except one God.

- There is no God except one God (47:19)

-Thou shall make no false images of God.

-There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him (42:11)

-Thou shall not use God’s name in vain.

-Make not God’s name an excuse to your oaths (2:224)

-Thou shall honor thy mother and father.

-Be kind to your parents if they attain old age in thy life, say not a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor. (17:23)

- Thou shall not steal.

--As for the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands, but those who repent

after a crime and reform shall be forgiven by God (5:38 – 39)

-Thou shall not lie or bear false witness

--They invoke a curse of God if they lie. (24:7) Hide not the testimony (2:283)

-Thou shall not kill.

--If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole mankind (5:32)

-Thou shall not commit adultery.

--Do not come near adultery. It is an indecent deed and a way for other

evils. (17:32)

-Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife or possessions.

- Saying of Muhammad- “One of the greatest sins is to have illicit sex with your neighbors wife”.

-Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.

--When the call for the Friday Prayer is made, hasten to the remembrance of

God and leave off your business. (62:9)

I never meant for this to happen, JN. lol And let me also add that ALL three western religions are taken basically rehashed pagan beliefs using a more "king-friendly" monotheistic approach. For example the terms of the original New Testament were hammered out by Emperor Constantine and a group of Roman nobleman, along with select high priests from the controlled areas, at the Council of Nicea (The Nicean Creed) after the decision was made to incorporate Christianity. They decided to use mainly St. Paul's epistles, the four gospels "which they carefully chose," and others while discarding the rest. Finally, they infused their own pagan traditions, which explains things like the Christmas tree and the Easter bunny hiding eggs.

So, these so called differences and similarities are really those decided by the opposing Empires AND have been revised by such through the centuries, even breaking off into different sects within the religion.

Finally, my main point remains the same: If Tebow were a Muslim, he probably wouldn't be such a "great guy."

I could completely understand how somone could be more spirtual with a lack of an organized religion. Also I think it's a little defensive to assume when somone thinks that a religious person is mora itl means they think atheists are not.

Your first sentence is basically what I meant. And btw, aren't you assuming that a person is either religious or an atheist? lol not so. Anyway, to your OP, it is silly to "hate" an athlete really, but understanding the context, such as you "hated" him for being an SEC rival (perfectly understandable), I hate what he drags along with him....compounded now by the true reason behind it all....HardKnocks. In other words, the fact that I am posting about the similarities between Islam and Christianity on JetsNation makes me ill. lol

Better yet why don't you enlighten me? I don't want to hear BS spin or trying to re-write history....facts are facts. You are going off on a tangent dude.....Just go back and read what your writing.....stick to your belief system (if any) and I will stick to mine.

I don't get it. Do you mean the debate is over and I win? lol

Archived