Cimini: Bart Scott "All In"

flgreen

No one is turning up the volume on Pouha's locker room presence because you can't turn up nothing. I'm sure he's fine, but he's not getting anyone pumped up. I like pouha and I like other guys too, but to use the Pitt game as a reason why Scott isn't effective is unfair. The whole team sucked that game in the first half.

The value of someone's locker room presence is diffiuclt to measure. While I do not see it as a reason to overlook poor play, I also don't minimize it's value either. Intangibles man. Those are usually the X factor in what makes a player better than another. The space between these guys is so slim in many cases. They all work out. They all know the game. They all want to win. What makes someone better?

It's like momentum in a game. It's very difficult to measure, but when one team has it, it seems like every friggin bounce goes there way.

Scott is a good solid football player. he does the dirty work (jumping on grenades) like taking on the blocks. He fell off last season and if that continues, his "value" as a guy who rallies the troops will be out weighed. I am simply not in the camp that thinks he sucks because he wasn't great last year. Let's give him a chance to bounce back. He's losing weight which is a good sign I think.

It's hard not to measure value of a player without considering another. If that wasn't the case, how do you consider what would replace him. It's like this. If you have a solid guy waiting in the wings, a player's value is lessened. If there is no one there behind him (the Jets) his value has to be higher. If a GM ignores that he's an idiot. Alla Tanny with the Kendal, lowery, cotchery situations.

I am also team oriented. I like good players on that team. If one has a positive, I like them around. If not, they can go screw. :biggrin:

You have to understand the reason I chose the Pittsburgh game for an off-handed reference to Scott being "meh" is because the Pitt performance is how he punctuated the stupid "Can't wait!" interview. I mean, how do you come out and do that interview... and then lay an egg? He's the leader of the defense, so when the finger pointing begins for how flat and uninspired they looked that game, it begins with him. The mouthpiece.

Anyway, all this being said... I don't disagree with you. I want to see him go BACK to what he was when he first got here. We need him to quite desperately, because our LBers (the make or break of a good 3-4 defense) are pretty mediocre across the board.

You have to understand the reason I chose the Pittsburgh game for an off-handed reference to Scott being "meh" is because the Pitt performance is how he punctuated the stupid "Can't wait!" interview. I mean, how do you come out and do that interview... and then lay an egg? He's the leader of the defense, so when the finger pointing begins for how flat and uninspired they looked that game, it begins with him. The mouthpiece.

Anyway, all this being said... I don't disagree with you. I want to see him go BACK to what he was when he first got here. We need him to quite desperately, because our LBers (the make or break of a good 3-4 defense) are pretty mediocre across the board.

Didn't I read somewhere that he wanted more room to opportunistically rush the passer last year, which he also said was his bread and butter? Because if he is used to playing more like a floater and he's being told to do nothing now but occupy blocks, AND insult to injury even getting pulled on obvious passing downs, it could've taken some of the fire out of him last year. That's a pretty boring change. Or am I just thinking of someone else? And so then why again do you keep a situational linebacker that can't get to the quarterback at $4mm a year? Couldn't another guy do it at half the price? Was this just bad future evaluation by the FO in assuming he would have the speed left at this point in his career to guarantee that money?

Didn't I read somewhere that he wanted more room to opportunistically rush the passer last year, which he also said was his bread and butter? Because if he is used to playing more like a floater and he's being told to do nothing now but occupy blocks, AND insult to injury even getting pulled on obvious passing downs, it could've taken some of the fire out of him last year. That's a pretty boring change. Or am I just thinking of someone else? And so then why again do you keep a situational linebacker that can't get to the quarterback at $4mm a year? Couldn't another guy do it at half the price? Was this just bad future evaluation by the FO in assuming he would have the speed left at this point in his career to guarantee that money?

The $4m this year is guaranteed. Its really the only reason he is still a Jet.

I know. My question is why pay him that dough in the first place.

They did it as part of a restructure last year to free up some cap space. I'm imagining at the time they felt a lot better about him than they do now. That's the problem with building your team through FA and trades, as you can only keep handing out these big contracts for so long before they catch up to you. Then the Jets are constantly redoing contracts to free up space and in turn end up guaranteeing future years of guys they really shouldn't be. Let's be honest, Scott is not the only guy on this team right now who would have been sent packing if not for his contract. Although maybe this team has finally learned it's lesson, and that's why they've handed out nothing but short, low-dollar contracts this FA, limited their moronic offseason trades to just one and actually look likely to head into draft day with more than 4 picks.

I know. My question is why pay him that dough in the first place.

Gotcha. I have to believe it was because they envisioned him being more of a Ray Lewis than he turned out to be. I get that he played well for us, but I think the expectation when Rex went for him over Ray was that Scott would be dominant. He's been nothing of the sort.

They did it as part of a restructure last year to free up some cap space. I'm imagining at the time they felt a lot better about him than they do now. That's the problem with building your team through FA and trades, as you can only keep handing out these big contracts for so long before they catch up to you. Then the Jets are constantly redoing contracts to free up space and in turn end up guaranteeing future years of guys they really shouldn't be. Let's be honest, Scott is not the only guy on this team right now who would have been sent packing if not for his contract. Although maybe this team has finally learned it's lesson, and that's why they've handed out nothing but short, low-dollar contracts this FA, limited their moronic offseason trades to just one and actually look likely to head into draft day with more than 4 picks.

Also, this.

Frankly, the Jets team we are looking at right now is suffering the residual effects of a situation where the GM tried to go almost all-in for a championship run in year 2-3 of Rex. Now we have a bunch of players that deferred money then, getting paid now. Blech.

Gotcha. I have to believe it was because they envisioned him being more of a Ray Lewis than he turned out to be. I get that he played well for us, but I think the expectation when Rex went for him over Ray was that Scott would be dominant. He's been nothing of the sort.

Agreed. Hasn't met unrealistic expectations and overpaid but still a solid vet. Does the dirty work, knack for both the big play and the big whiff.

Also, this.

Frankly, the Jets team we are looking at right now is suffering the residual effects of a situation where the GM tried to go almost all-in for a championship run in year 2-3 of Rex. Now we have a bunch of players that deferred money then, getting paid now. Blech.

Yeah

It's actually even worst then that. Mike T heavily counted on the new CBA putting a lot more cap money up so they could righten the ship over the next few years. As it turns out the cap is going to stay flat for 3 years. Jets have some serious money problems coming up in 12 and 13 it seems.

Lets not forget Revis is going to want to get paid again after the 2012 season. He's probably going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL

Archived